IC-Ep 1: Down on Durward Street

Welcome aboard the legendary and luxurious Simplon-Orient Express. Our experienced staff and lavish facilities can fulfill your every need as you travel in style across Europe. Dine on food on par with the greatest of restaurants. Enjoy a stiff drink and world class entertainment in the salon car. Rub shoulders with the elite. Rest and relax in our world-famous sleeping cars. Help solve a continent spanning threat while surviving the horrific onslaught of a dark and uncaring world, all aboard the Orient Express!

Moderator: CrackheadC.

CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

IC-Ep 1: Down on Durward Street

Post by CrackheadC. »

Durward Street, Whitechapel
Saturday, March 11th, 1893 - After Midnight

The cobblestone in Whitechapel is uneven and not well-maintained, making for a bumpy ride and uneven walk. The area is a slum in the East End of London and is well known as a dangerous place for the well-heeled and vulnerable - perhaps why the Professor insisted on the danger.

Durward Street is a narrow, poorly lit street boasting some run-down and ramshackle houses and a horse slaughtering business, Harrison, Barber & Co, and at the far end of the street a Board School for the poor.

Outside 5 Durward street, you find Professor Smith, the young man dressed in a crinkled brown suit jacket with a small brown mustache, pacing agitatedly in the doorway, looking up and down, clearly awaiting someone. He appears unarmed. Fog and shadows blanket everything; figures loom out, only to be recognized as normal folk going about their business.
OOC,Entrances happen as you post. [b][i]Spot Hidden[/i][/b] rolls for everyone as they arrive.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Re: IC-Ep 1: Down on Durward Street

Post by Tabs »

Sylvia Warner stepped down from the taxicab, holding a doctor's case full of medical paraphernalia as requested by Professor Smith. She thought that there was a pregnant woman in urgent need of help...

"Prof. Smith, my husband is on call elsewhere, but I had to come--I'm sure to be of help." Sylvia cut a distinctly boyish appearance: old jodhpurs, tatty tweed jacket, and short, almost bobbed, hair, like the fashion will be thirty years in the future. She forgot to ask the cabbie to wait. Looking about at the mean street she had a sudden qualm--"Professor?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rupert's carriage rounds the corner at speed and comes to a halt outside Number 5. As soon as it comes to a stop, Rupert alights from the carriage. He is dressed in athletic wear and carries his shotgun under one arm, having left the rifle with Griffin, his valet. As soon as he emerges, he takes a look around the darkened street, but he can barely see the nose in front of his face.
OOC,Spot Hidden roll (55% skill) on Durward Street: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Mrs.Sylia Warner Spot Hidden (25%) [dice]0[/dice]
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by maelstrom »

As David’s path brings him closer to his destination, he can see one of London's infamous fogs blanketing the streets.
Why tonight....He thinks.
He can begin to feel his heart pound and the hairs on the back of his neck rise.
It's just fog, nothing worse than a few thugs lurking out there. Get a grip.
His right hand curls tightly round the brass knuckles in his pocket, plus the weight of the pistol in his jacket, lends him the strength to go on. He turns into Durward street. The fog and gloom swallow him whole.

Shuffling steps, hacking coughs and whispering voices echo around him. Spectral figures Lear out of swirling mist, yellow eyes and claws sent to rend, the howling desert wind lashing sand into his face.
No, you damned fool , it's just a fog, just a fog. He berates himself.
His heart hammering, the figures resolve themselves into people travelling the night.

As he approaches the house,he can see the shadowy form of a carriage outside and that of a couple of people on the doorstep. As he scanning the street carefully, he approaches, he recognises Julies Smith “ Hello professor I've come as you requested. What can do to help you?”
Spoiler:
spot hidden 50% [dice]0[/dice]
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Michael's cab sped through the streets of London, the fog swirling around the vehicle as the horse's hooves echoed ominously in the night. After a journey that seemed like an eternity, they finally arrive at 5 Durward Street.

Michael gets out and lights a cigarette, trying to make out the four figures amassing near the building. He steps closer and they come into clear sight.

"Professor Smith, I came as soon as I...", Michael stops suddenly as he discerns Rupert's shotgun.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Smith's telegram so clearly implied trouble and now he'd walked so blindly into it.

"Is there a problem here, gentlemen?"

Spot Hidden 25%,[dice]0[/dice]
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I only know what Professor Smith told me in his message, sir," says Rupert. "He was quite specific that I bring a gun. I've actually brought two." He turns to face Julius Smith. "I've come quick as I could, Professor. What do you need me to do?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence's cab comes round the corner into Durward Street and as he looks out the window he can see a crowd of people gathering a couple of doors in.
OOC:   I'm assuming it's the third house in - numbers one, three and five being the first three - if not then amend accordingly  
Hastily he hands the fare over to the cabbie - along with a generous tip.

"Please wait here for a few minutes my good man if you would be so kind." Clarence intones. As he alights the cab, he slowly draws his service revolver eyeing the assembled crowd suspiciously; especially the man with the shotgun.

"What-ho chaps - anyone seen my good friend Professor Smith." Nodding towards the shotgun man he continues "Do you not think you are a trifle ... overdressed Sir?"

Clarence Spot Hidden:30,

[dice]0[/dice]
Last edited by Cearlan on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Rupert Chesterfield,' says Rupert, sticking out his free hand. "I was in bed when I got the Professor's message. It sounded quite urgent, and also as though he was expecting trouble. This was faster to put on than a coat and tails, and undoubtedly better for running about in if such became necessary. Professor Smith is right here." He nodded towards the man in the brown suit.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

As the group beings to assemble in front of 5 Durward Street, Professor Smith looks visibly relieved. "Thank the heavens you've come. Something terrible has happened." He looks over Sylvia, "Dr. Warner couldn't come? ...No matter, another set of medical eyes will help."

The professor looks the group over and frowns slightly, staring down the street he lights up and begins waving to a figure. A man in a bowler cap and leaning heavily on a cane slowly saunters up to the group and tips his hat. "Professor, I came as quickly as I could... thought not as quickly as others it seems," He nods towards the gathered group, "Bernard Mottram, at your service."

"Right thank you all for coming, like I was saying" the professor continues in a hushed yet frantic tone, "something terrible has---, What's that?" The professor points towards the bottom of the street.
OOC,Those who failed their spot hidden rolls can see nothing at the end of the block. Maelstrom, you succeed, but I'd like you to make a sanity roll (0/0, so there will be no loss) due to the heavy fog, before I tell you what you see. Bernard's Spot hidden: 25% [dice]0[/dice]
Michael and Clarence,At the far end of the street you catch sight of a man near a low-burning street gaslight. He appears to be wearing a hat shaped like a fez. When the group turns their attention to where he is standing he quickly moves out of sight around the corner
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Spoiler:
sanity check 45% [dice]0[/dice]
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Sylvia replied to the Professor: "No, Dr. Warner isn't available, so I've come instead. Forgive my appearance"--indicating her clothing--"but I left my house in a mad rush." She smiled thinly at the Professor's comment about 'medical eyes'--for of course she wasn't qualified; and she realised, with the gathering crowd, that she'd made an embarrassing mistake--there wasn't a pregnant woman in extremis.

The others: the jovial captain-like gentleman, the one with the Irish brogue, the scarred fellow, the newcomer, and the young chap holding the--"Oh, my word!"--shotgun. She is about beat a hasty retreat when--

"Master Chesterfield," she said to Rupert, "is that really you?"
DrPeterson
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by DrPeterson »

Michael is startled when he hears Sylvia speak, he hadn't expected women out at this hour or in that outfit. He starts to apologise, but then notices the man in the fez.

"A Turk!" He shouts out, almost laughing. "And he seemed to have an interest in this gathering!"
"He said we were all cooked but we were all right as long as we did not know it. We were all cooked. The thing was not to recognize it."
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

David,Down at the end of the street where everyone seems to have turned their attention you catch sight of something. An elongated form, unnatural claws, and the yellow eyes of a hunter. You see it plain as day, but when you blink - it is gone.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence extends his hand towards Rupert but when the young lady starts to speak, he nods and steps back.

Peering through the fog when the young man exclaims about the Turk Clarence swivels his head and spies a man make to run around the corner to be swallowed up by the fog before the building obscures him from sight.

"Wait here everyone!" Clarence barks out as he runs diagonally across the street so that he can see if he can see where the Turkish looking man went to. Reaching the junction he crosses back to the side where the group are assembled and peers into the almost ever-present London fog.
Last edited by Cearlan on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Why, yes," says Rupert to Sylvia, a little embarrassed. "Fancy meeting you here, Mrs. Warner. The shotgun - that's because the Professor specifically requested that I bring a gun." He carries it tucked under his arm, broken open to prevent accidental discharge. "Don't worry about your clothing, I did much the same thing. It's actually a relief not to be the only one."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"A Turk?" said Sylvia, "he's strayed from his embassy in Westminster. I wonder what he's doing in Whitech--" she stopped abruptly when an obvious answer presented itself.

To Rupert: "The Professor requested my, well, my husband's presence, too, and I thought I'd come along instead as it seemed so urgent, hence"--she curtsied--"my unladylike appearance. Your athletic outfit--very suitable," she added kindly. "I wonder what the Professor wants?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, ma'am," says Rupert. "I don't know why we're here, but it must be important. I'm sure it will make for a good story when it's all said and done!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

David squeezes his eyes tightly shut, his breathing heavy and rapid. He puts his back against the wall and opening his eye, scans up and down the street, his hand subconsciously reaching into his jacket and curling around the grip of his pistol.

Damm it, get a grip.He yells inside his head. David, realising he has gripped his pistol, let's go and rams his hand back into his outer pocket.

”Professor maybe we should move inside, before we draw any more unwanted attention.”
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Clarence returns just as the party with Julius goes to move indoors. Ensuring he is the final one in the house he looks long and hard each way along the street before entering.
Last edited by Cearlan on Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express”