IC-Ep 1: A Gentleman's Abode (Rupert Chesterfield)

Welcome aboard the legendary and luxurious Simplon-Orient Express. Our experienced staff and lavish facilities can fulfill your every need as you travel in style across Europe. Dine on food on par with the greatest of restaurants. Enjoy a stiff drink and world class entertainment in the salon car. Rub shoulders with the elite. Rest and relax in our world-famous sleeping cars. Help solve a continent spanning threat while surviving the horrific onslaught of a dark and uncaring world, all aboard the Orient Express!

Moderator: CrackheadC.

CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

IC-Ep 1: A Gentleman's Abode (Rupert Chesterfield)

Post by CrackheadC. »

Rupert Chesterfield's London Residence
Saturday, March 11th, 1893 - Around midnight

A cool gust blows through the residence as Rupert Chesterfield has a rare night in. The previous night had been spent out on the town with friends to celebrate the start of Spring break. During the day today Rupert had received a letter from his good friend Spencer who was eager to tell him about his experiences training at the Royal Military College, laughing off his earlier entrance exam failures.

After closing a nearby window Rupert begins to stoke the smoldering embers of the fire, he hoped soon the weather would warm and relieve him of this minor chore.
OOC,Since I wasn't sure if you were living in the family home, or had taken up another residence while at school, I will let you describe your current residence. This is just a free post here to describe what you might be doing, afterwards we'll kickstart in earnest. Welcome to [i]The Blood Red Fez[/i].
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: IC-Ep 1: A Gentleman's Abode (Rupert Chesterfield)

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rupert Chesterfield sits behind the writing desk in his room at his parents' London townhouse, clad in his silk pajamas. They're out at their country house at this time of year, so he is alone apart from the servants. He is just finishing writing out his reply to his old school chum's letter by the light of the gaslamp. He is glad that Spencer, or Winston as he is now known, is doing well at Sandhurst. He isn't surprised his friend had chosen a career in the military, as he had always shown an aptitude for it. The two of them had met in the Harrow Rifle Corps, which Winston had joined soon after he had arrived in the spring of 1888. He was a better shot than Rupert (who wasn't half bad himself), even back then, but he also had a keen mind for strategy and tactics. He noted with delight that he was training to join the cavalry. Perhaps the two of them could go riding sometime, or on a hunt. When he finishes the letter, he seals it in an envelope and affixes a stamp, then places it in the basket where the valet will pick it up in the morning and post it. It has gotten late, and he wants to be refreshed for tomorrow, so he decides to turn in for the night. He puts out the gaslight, making certain to remember to turn off the flow of gas, not just snuff out the light. There had been far too many accidents involving careless use of gaslamps in the news, and he had taken the warnings to heart. Kneeling beside his bed, he says his prayers for his family, for Winston, and for his friends and teachers at university. Then he climbs into bed and pulls up the covers, rolling onto his side and wondering what his dreams will bring.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Rupert hears a light jingle at the door as someone rings the bell downstairs. A few moments later, a muted conversation and the sound of the door closing. There is a light, almost hesitant knocking upon his door and a voice calls, "Apologies young master, but there is a message for you and the deliverer was quite insistent on its urgency." Rupert recognizes the voice as that of Reginald Carr, the family's long-serving butler.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rupert groggily sits up in bed. Had I even fallen asleep yet? he wonders. "Thank you, Carr," he says, swinging his legs over the side of the bed and rising. "I'm on my way." Whatever message has arrived at this ungodly hour must be important, or the messenger would have waited until morning. He picks up the candle holder from the nightstand, lights the candle, and opens the door, his nightcap still dangling from his head.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Behind the door, Carr is standing at attention in a newly pressed butler's uniform. A small pair of spectacles adorned his rather sharp nose, under which was a long white mustache that Carr had always waxed to a fine point - the man took his job and his image very seriously. As Rupert exited his room, Carr held out the note for him to take very carefully; he did not push the note towards Rupert nor hold it away, simply held the note out in the air to give Rupert the option of taking it or leaving it himself.

"I took the liberty of tipping the messenger and sending him on his way, it wouldn't do to have the little ragamuffin running about the grounds and mussing up the estate. Ordinarily I would wait until morning, but due to the nature of delivery and the messenger's insistence, I thought best to inform you now. I apologize for having disturbed your rest. Let me know if you'll be needing anything else"

Upon reading the note:
Rupert sees it is written in a hurried scrawl
CHESTERFIELD, AM AT 5 DURWARD STREET, WHITECHAPEL.
COME QUICK AND FOR GOD'S SAKE BRING A GUN.
JULIUS SMITH.

Julius Smith, or Professor Smith as Rupert knew him, was his mentor. The situation must be quite urgent for Professor Smith to write it so informally and to request Rupert appear, armed, in what he knew to be a rather bad part of London.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rupert's eyes go wide when he takes and reads the note. "You were right to wake me, Carr," he says, thinking and speaking quickly. "It is indeed most urgent. Wake any servants you need to help you, and my valet, Griffin. I need the carriage ready to take me to 5 Durward Street in Whitechapel - and I shall require my rifle and my shotgun, with ammunnition." Professor Smith didn't specify which gun, so he figures he had best bring both of them. Griffin could always use the other one if Professor Smith already has a weapon of his own. "I shall start dressing myself at once. There's no time for me to wait for Griffin to assist me." He hands the note back to Carr. "Read it if you wish, but it doesn't explain much more than I've already said." Without waiting for a reply, he ducks back into his bedroom and begins picking out clothes, choosing things that will be suitable for running about.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

OOC,If you don't mind, give me a short description of Griffin as he appears in your head, call it cooperative RP or lazy keeper, but I figure you should have the first word on an npc you introduce. After that I'll continue.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,[b]Griffin[/b] is a tall man with straight dark hair in his thirties, and he is always impeccable, dedicated and competent. I envision him as being much like Jeeves from Jeeves and Wooster, though [b]Rupert[/b] isn't quite like Wooster.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

"Right away, sir," Reginald quickly heads towards the servants' quarters, leaving the note unread with Rupert. It doesn't take long for Rupert to be dressed and ready to go, though his outfit's appropriateness would soon be determined.

By the time Rupert arrives at his front door everything seems to be prepared. Reginald awaits near the entrance with an appropriate hat for the young master, "The carriage is ready and Griffin awaits you, should you require anything else, be sure to send word, sir."

Outside the door Griffin stands at attention, well-dressed in a pressed black tuxedo, next to a fine dark mahogany horse drawn carriage with majestic looking Clydesdale attached, Ace and Piper. "Will you be requiring James tonight" Griffin gestures to a slightly ragged-looking older gentleman next to the carriage, "or would you prefer that I drive us?" Griffin gives Rupert a look up and down, "And sir, are you sure that is what you wish to be wearing?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rupert glances at the athletic wear he's chosen. "Well, there's no time to change now," he says, boarding the carriage. "Time is of the essence, Griffin! If you drive faster than James, by all means relieve him. As for my outfit, I'm expecting...well, I'm not sure entirely what to expect. Professor Smith was rather cryptic, but he said to hurry and bring a gun. I've brought two, as it happens. There may be a spot of action, so I thought wearing something practical was better than something dignified."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Griffin gave an exasperated sigh at Richard's insistence on his clothing choice, "Right you are, sir. James, I'll be taking the young master out tonight so you may retire." The older man bowed and slowly made his way back to the servants' quarters. Griffin smoothly deposits one of the weapons on a small rack in the interior of the cab, assists Richard into the cab and hops up into the driver's seat.

After being informed that they were going to Whitechapel Griffin's face scrunched up, "Hardly a place for someone of your stature, but I'll get us there and all haste. Let us away then, sir." Griffin shakes the reins and the two large horses lurch forward and quickly pick up the pace at the man's urging.
OOC,Your intro thread is finished, if you'd like to make one final post you may, I'll link the new thread for you when everyone is caught up.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Rupert settles back in the carriage, but he cannot enjoy the speedy ride. Now that he has time to actually think, he grows more and more worried about Professor Smith. Whatever the situation is, it must be quite desperate. He just hopes he can get there in time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Griffin blitzes the carriage around corners and urges the horses to open up on straight streets and soon the pair are in Whitechapel.
Richard,Move on to the new thread: [url=http://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=389&t=5839]Down on Durward Street[/url]

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express”