Character Creation Rules & Discussion

Welcome aboard the legendary and luxurious Simplon-Orient Express. Our experienced staff and lavish facilities can fulfill your every need as you travel in style across Europe. Dine on food on par with the greatest of restaurants. Enjoy a stiff drink and world class entertainment in the salon car. Rub shoulders with the elite. Rest and relax in our world-famous sleeping cars. Help solve a continent spanning threat while surviving the horrific onslaught of a dark and uncaring world, all aboard the Orient Express!

Moderator: CrackheadC.

radionausea
Layman
Layman
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Character Creation Rules & Discussion

Post by radionausea »

Rolling for characteristics

[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]
[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
[dice]7[/dice]

[diceLuck]3d6[/dice]

Can we assign the rolls to any attribute so long as it's the correct type of roll? I'm fine with taking them in order too...here goes...come on dice...
radionausea
Layman
Layman

Post by radionausea »

Okay, I'll be going with Bernard Mottram, a spiritualist and fledgling parapsychologist, aged 33

Born and raised in the Bloomsbury area, he saw and heard things that couldn't be there. Thinking he was suffering from a weakness of mind his parents home schooled him and didn't allow contact with other children his age. This isolation only increased the sightings and voices but he learned quickly not to tell his parents of them.

Ever weak of constitution this was worsened when he contracted poliomyelitis. While he survived he was left with a paralysed left leg and systemic muscle weakness that left his co-ordination damaged.

Now a man grown Bernard has been investigating his own odd abilities, looking into ghost sightings, hauntings and attempting (and sometimes succeeding!) at making contact with the other side. Bernard occasionally takes payment to try and speak to loved ones who have passed, but should he not succeed charge only a minimal rate for his time - he's no confidence man.

A slight, non descript man with a mop of unruly black hair Bernard walks with a cane. He is well turned out in a modest suit and bowler hat.

Bernard is a rationalist and an empiricist, believing what his senses tell him, all 6 of them. He is an agnostic about religion having seen no evidence of a god but evidence that the dead don't always leave for somewhere else.
He is very close to his mother, who has now retired as a nurse at University College Hospital and has an amicable, if distant, relationship with his father, who still practices as a well respected barrister on Fleet St. His family allow him a healthy stipend for living.

Meaningful locations: The British Library where he has spend countless hours in the reading room looking into the occult. He also has a fondness for the halls of UCLH where he would wander while his mother worked, though some of the apparitions he saw there, and the wounds they bore, he would sooner forget.

Treasured possession: if possible I'd like to own a book that has some real, though shallow, mythos lore?

Str: 45
Dex: 30
Pow: 85
Con: 50
App: 65
Edu: 60 Improvement roll [dice]1[/dice] if successful increase by [dice]0[/dice]
Size 45
Int 50
Luck [dice]2[/dice]

Experience with Mythos if allowed.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Post by CrackheadC. »

Alright Radio. Rolls look good.
Here's the info for the Spiritualist occupation:
Occupational skills: Accounting, Charm, Library Use, Occult, Persuade, Psychology, Science (Psychical Phenomenon).
Credit rating: 9-50
Science (Psychical Phenomenon): This skill must be no less than 60%
Occupational skill points: EDUx2 + POWx2 (or APPx2)

As for your seances and the spirit you've met:
[dice]0[/dice] [dice]1[/dice]
When you summon your spirit guide and conduct a seance to speak with the underworld the spirit that appears and speaks to you is a very kind, eight year old girl named Anabelle. I'll let you determine what she is dead as a bit of background if you wish.

I'll look up an appropriate mythos book for you.

As for the Cthulhu Mythos package, I'll leave the experience up to you. Describe what happened etc, and afterwards I'll determine how much mythos skill you'll gain.
radionausea
Layman
Layman

Re: Character Creation Rules & DiscussionAid

Post by radionausea »

Grand :)

Annabelle was crushed by the wheel of a carriage while she was playing in the streets. They didn't even stop to check she was okay. The idea makes Bernard furious, he wants children himself one day and the idea that there are people that casually callous out there enrages him.

Mythos experience: at the age of eleven Bernard was in the hospital, a place he knew well, having spent a large part of his time there. He decided to explore, broaden his horizons some. His wanderings took him to the morgue. Excitement and fear coursing through him he egged himself to walk in expecting to encounter an apparition. On entering he saw someone bent over a table examining a body... a doctor? no they weren't wearing the right clothing. An orderly? Why were they there alone? Then a smell hit him, one of rot out of place in a clinical environment and the thing over the body raised it's head, blood smeared across it's maw and gore still hanging from savage teeth. It looked at Bernard for a moment before returning to it's feast. Bernard can't remember fleeing nor what happened next but he awoke cradled in his mothers arms babbling, adding yet more fuel to the belief his wits were addled [encounter with mythos creature - ghoul?]
Plus reading whatever grimoire I got my hands on

I think the skills below are right (edu 68x2=136 + power 85 x2=170 = 306 occupation and 100 hobby points from intelligence x2)
Brawl: hobby 14 = 39
Charm: occupation 40 = 55
Credit rating = 30
First Aid: Hobby 14 = 44
Latin language: hobby 43 = 44
Law: Hobby 15=20
Library Use: occ 40 hobby 5 = 65
Occult: occ 50 hobby 5 = 60
Persuade : occ 31 = 41
Psychology: occ 50 = 60
Science (Psychical Phenomena) occ 65 hobby 4 = 70

Lookimg forward to playing
radionausea
Layman
Layman

Post by radionausea »

Player: radionausea
Name: Bernard Mottram
Sex: Male
Birthplace: London, England
Current Residence: London, England
Education: Home schooled by mother, father and tutors

Characteristics:
STR: 45 (22/9)
CON: 50 (25/10)
SIZ: 45 (22/9)
DEX: 30 (15/6)
APP: 65 (32/13)
INT: 50 (50/10)
POW: 85 (42/17)
EDU: 68 (34/13)

Hit Points: 9 / 9
Magic Points: 13 / 13
Sanity: 80
Luck: 55
Move Rate: 8
Build: 0
Damage Bonus: +0

Accounting (05%)
Animal Handling (05%)
Anthropology (01%)
Appraise (05%)
Archaeology (01%)
Art / Craft (choose specialty) (05%)
Charm (15%) 55%
Climb (20%)
Credit Rating (00%) 30%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%) 5%
Disguise (05%)
Dodge (Half DEX%) 15%
Drive Carriage (20%)
Etiquette (05%)
Fast Talk (05%)
. Fighting (Brawl) (25%) 39%
Fighting (Boxing) (05%)
Firearms (Handgun) (20%)
Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (25%)
.First Aid (30%) 44%
History (05%)
Intimidate (15%)
Jump (20%)
.Language (Latin) (01%) 44%
Language (Own: English) (68%)
.Law (05%) 20%
Library Use (20%) 65%Listen (20%)
Locksmith (01%)
Mechanical Repair (10%)
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)
Occult (05%) 60%
Operate Heavy Machinery (01%)
Persuade (10%) 41%
Pilot (choose specialty) (01%)
Psychology (10%) 60%
Ride (05%)
Science (Psychical Phenomena) (01%) 70%
Sleight of Hand (10%)
Spot Hidden (25%)
Stealth (20%)
Survival (choose specialty) (10%)
Swim (20%)
Throw (20%)
Track (10%)

Phobia: (rolled a 93 on some actual dice so:) Tomopophobia, the fear of surgical intervention. Bernard's young exposure to polio and the subsequent, fruitless efforts to ameliorate it left him with a fear of surgery and invasive surgery. The sight of a ghoul feasting on a cadaver has only deepened this.
or [dice]0[/dice] for: Limnophobia, the fear of lakes. Whatever you feel works best!

Bernard also has a paralysed left leg but I think his low dexterity reflects this well enough.

Personal Description:
Slight of build with an unruly mop of black hair that he hides under his hat, Bernard is a fair looking man but not one you'd call handsome. Generally he seems to be looking past people but it can be unnerving when he pulls his attention to you, as though he's laying bare secrets. Bernard works as a legal researcher for his father, though in truth he doesn't work all that often spending his time in own his own research.

Born and raised in the Bloomsbury area, he saw and heard things that couldn't be there. Thinking he was suffering from a weakness of mind his parents home schooled him and didn't allow contact with other children his age. This isolation only increased the sightings and voices but he learned quickly not to tell his parents of them.

Ever weak of constitution this was worsened when he contracted poliomyelitis. While he survived he was left with a paralysed left leg and systemic muscle weakness that left his co-ordination damaged.

Now a man grown Bernard has been investigating his own odd abilities, looking into ghost sightings, hauntings and attempting (and sometimes succeeding!) at making contact with the other side. Bernard occasionally takes payment to try and speak to loved ones who have passed, but should he not succeed charge only a minimal rate for his time - he's no confidence man.

Ideology and beliefs:
Bernard is a rationalist and an empiricist, believing what his senses tell him, all 6 of them. He is an agnostic about religion having seen no evidence of a god but evidence that the dead don't always leave for somewhere else. He believes in the inherent decency of man and has become enamored with the ideas of Bentham and Mill believing that it's a gentleman's duty to maximise the well-being of all.

Significant People:
His mother, Ruth, has always done her best for Bernard and he loves her dearly. Bernard has good relations with his father but they are strained as his father, Cornelius, still worries that Bernard is mentally unsound and is disappointed his son didn't show the wherewithal to follow him into the legal profession. The other person he is close to is his spiritual guide, Annabelle, who died 6 years past. Bernard has spent no small effort trying to find out who owned the carriage that crushed her but to no avail. Bernard has recently begun careful flirtation with a librarian at the British Library, Mabel, though this relationship is in its infancy.

Meaningful Locations:
The British Library where he has spend countless hours in the reading room looking into the occult. He also has a fondness for the halls of UCLH where he would wander while his mother worked, though some of the apparitions he saw there, and the wounds they bore, he would sooner forget.

Treasured Possessions:
A battered copy of the (Insert book of Keeper's choice), the first book he has read that showed some deeper understanding of the world behind this world.

Traits:
Tries to hide the palsy in his hand by putting it in his pocket all times. Although his father might consider him feckless and witless he is actually very driven to understand psychical activity and hopes one day to publish his findings. He is friendly though initially awkward, this a result of his cloistered childhood.

Key Connection:
Mother, Ruth aged 56, retired nurse and now gives alms and what medical support she can to the sex-workers of Kings Cross.

Assets:
A small one bedroom flat in Bloomsbury,
Receives a modest stipend from his family in addition to a wage and whatever he asks from conducting seances.
He has a small blade concealed in his walking cane (sword-cane) to fend off ruffians as his frail appearance attracts them.
True Magick, an occult tome
He carries a small amount of cash on his person.
Last edited by radionausea on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Skill points look right, I'll take a deeper look later once your background and the rest of the sheet is complete. Your starting Cthulhu mythos, between the ghoul encounter (a good one), and the tome I'll pass to you will be 5%. The tome is called True Magick. I'll setup the info involved with it later. You will be 5 sanity down at the start of the game. Also remember to Add TWO of the following to the investigator's background: Injury/Scar or a Phobia/Mania or Encounter with Strange Entity associated with Mythos Experience. So one of those will be the encounter with strange entity (ghoul), and you will need one more: an injury/scar or a phobia/mania.
radionausea
Layman
Layman

Post by radionausea »

Ooops I forgot about the phobia/mania. Added now.

Tomopophobia, the fear of surgical intervention. Bernard also has a paralysed left leg (30 dexterity) from polio. If he loses his cane his speed will probably drop.

Can I leave how I know the Prof. for you to decide please?
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Sure, sounds good.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Post by Cearlan »

Right here we go - do we just let the dice fall where they may or can we move them to suit? I noticed that the party doesn't have a "tank" so I decided to make either an Agency Detective or Military Officer (Rtd)

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]

[dice]6[/dice]

[dice]7[/dice]

[dice]8[/dice]

Edit:- Hmm not the best

Edit of Edit - Just noticed I did 2d6+3 instead of 2d6+6. Shall I keep the rolls and add 3 or re-roll?
Last edited by Cearlan on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playing;
Paris: City of Tears
Horror on the Orient Express

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

You can sort the rolls where you'd like keeping in mind the minimums for SIZ, INT, and EDU are 45.

If you are very unsatisfied with your rolls we can work something out (like a possible full roll scrap etc.)

EDIT: Cearlon - on your SIZ, INT, and EDU Roll you only added 3. You should add 6, so you can either add 3 more to each roll. (Giving you 12, 15, and 11) or Try your luck again if you'd like. Your choice.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Only have three 3d6 rolls above 45 so I think I'd better do a re-roll if that's alright

Here goes then (once more unto the breach!)

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]4[/dice]

[dice]5[/dice]

[dice]6[/dice]

[dice]7[/dice]

[dice]8[/dice]

See what this brings :oops:

Edit:- Damn - if anything these are too good
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

Nice rolls. I'm going to type out the Agency detective and military officer occupations here. Let me know if you'd rather something else.

Agency Detective:
Numerous well-known detective agencies exist around the world, with probably the most famous being the Pinkerton and Burns agencies (merged into one in modern times). Large agencies employ two types of agents: security guards and operatives.
Guards are uniformed patrolmen, hired by the companies and individuals to protect property and people against, burglars, assassins, and kidnappers. (If you'd like this version, let me know as it operates more like a uniformed police officer).
Company operatives are plainclothes detectives, sent out on cases requiring them to solve mysteries, prevent murders, locate missing people, and so on.

Occupation skill points: EDUx2 + (STRx2 or DEXx2)
Credit Rating: 20-45
Skills: One interpersonal skill (charm, fast talk, intimidate, or persuade), Fighting (brawl), Firearms, Law, Library Use, Psychology, Stealth, Track

Military Officer:
Officers are command rank and most commissions demand some form of higher education. All armed services have established officer training programs that may include university education - in the U.S., most major universities provide cadet training programs, allowing simultaneous training for the military while attending school. Upon graduation the cadet is promoted to the rank of Army or Marine Second - Lieutenant or Naval Ensign, and assigned to a station.
Usually such recruits owe the Government four years' active service, after which time they may return to civilian life. Many of the officers trained this way hold professional commissions and serve as doctors, lawyers, or engineers.
Those looking for a career in the military may try to get themselves appointed to one of the military academies: the U.S. Army's West Point or the Navy's Annapolis, for example. Graduating from one of these schools earns the officer respect. Once out of school, some officers opt for special training, such as air pilot.
Occasionally, an experienced and exceptionally worth enlisted person is promoted to Warrant Officer. Although technically at the bottom of the officers' list of ranks, the time and experience required to achieve this promotion carries a respect and reverence far exceeding that of any junior or middle-grade officer. Most commissions are for life. Even a long-retired officer has the right to call himself Captain or General.

Occupation Skill points: EDUx2 + (STRx2 or DEXx2)
Credit Rating: 20-70
Skills: Accounting, firearms, navigate, first aid, two interpersonal skills (persuade, fast talk, intimidate, charm), psychology, and one other skill as personal or era specialty.
radionausea
Layman
Layman

Post by radionausea »

Wowsers. They're pretty incredible rolls, you can build a very staunch person with that!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yeah, those rolls are amazing!

Perhaps Elizabeth could know Bernard through his mother, Ruth.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:Perhaps Elizabeth could know Bernard through his mother, Ruth.
That occurred to me, too. Up to the Keeper, I suppose.
CrackheadC.
Keeper
Keeper

Post by CrackheadC. »

I'll call that up to you. If you want to know each other or be at least familiar that's fine with me.
Cearlan
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Cearlan »

Bare bones of the investigator - I'll finish him off tomorrow

Player: Cearlan
Name: Clarence “House” Leatham
Sex: Male
Birthplace: Ilfracombe, Devon, England
Current Residence: Richmond upon Thames, London, England
Education: Dartmouth Academy

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... Fdcx43HGiw

Characteristics:
STR: 82 (42/17)(-3 age)
CON: 53 (26/10)(-2 age)
SIZ: 70 (35/14)
DEX: 80 (40/16)
APP: 35 (17/7) (-5 age)
INT: 60 (30/12)
POW: 65 (32/13)
EDU: 70 (35/14)

Hit Points: 12 / 12
Magic Points: 13 / 13
Sanity: 65
Luck: 35
Move Rate: 8(-1 age)
Build: 1
Damage Bonus: +1d4

. Accounting (05%) 45%
Animal Handling (05%) 15%
Anthropology (01%)
Appraise (05%)
Archaeology (01%)
Art / Craft (sing (mainly shantys)) (05%) 15%
Charm (15%)
Climb (20%)
Credit Rating (00%) 55%
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
Disguise (05%)
Dodge (Half DEX%) 15%
Drive Carriage (20%)
Etiquette (05%)
Fast Talk (05%)
Fighting (Brawl) (25%)
Fighting (Boxing) (05%) 15%
. Firearms (Handgun) (20%) 70%
. Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (25%) 49%
. First Aid (30%) 60%
History (05%)
Intimidate (15%)
Jump (20%)
Language (Latin) (01%)
Language (Own: English) (68%)
Law (05%)
Library Use (20%)
Listen (20%)
Locksmith (01%)
Mechanical Repair (10%)
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%) 15%
. Navigate (10%) 50%
Occult (05%)
. Persuade (10%) 45%
. Pilot (ship) (01%) 66%
. Psychology (10%) 30%
Ride (05%)
Science (Psychical Phenomena) (01%)
Sleight of Hand (10%)
Spot Hidden (25%) 30%
Stealth (20%) 25%
Survival (Sea) (10%) 20%
Swim (20%) 30%
Throw (20%)
Track (10%)
Playing;

Keeping;
The Curse of Nineveh
radionausea
Layman
Layman

Post by radionausea »

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Ruth was always a nurse, but I only added her retired work with sex workers once I'd read your background. Hoped there would be a connection but wasn't going to force it.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

radionausea wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Ruth was always a nurse, but I only added her retired work with sex workers once I'd read your background. Hoped there would be a connection but wasn't going to force it.
Sounds good to me. Elizabeth might have helped her to some degree, given the skills of First Aid and Medicine I increased. She would have a nodding acquaintance with Bernard.
maelstrom
Initiate
Initiate

Post by maelstrom »

Got thru a bit more, hopefully i will get it wound up over the next few days. Still need to fill out my background and write out the mythos encounter, for your approval Mr Keeper.
Character: David LLewelyn
Sex: male
Birthplace: Liverpool

STR: 50 (25/10)
CON: 25 (12/5)
POW: 50 (25/10)
DEX: 55 (27/11)
APP: 20 (10/4)
SIZ: 45 (22/9)
INT: 80 (40/16)
EDU: 65 (32/13)

Luck: 50
Magic: 10
Damage Bonus:0
Hit points:7
Sanity:50
Move: 9

Non-Default are bolded. Occupational Skills in Italics. Personal Interests preceded by a DOT.
Skills.
Accounting (05%)
Animal Handling (05%)
Anthropology(01%)
Appraise (05%)50
Archaeology (01%)51
Art / Craft (choose speciality) (05%)
Charm (15%)
Climb (20%)
Credit Rating (00%)15
Cthulhu Mythos (00%)
Disguise (05%)
Dodge (27%)
Drive Carriage (20%)
Etiquette (05%)
Fast Talk (05%)
.Fighting (Brawl) (25%)40
Fighting (Boxing) (05%)
Firearms (Handgun) (20%)
.Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) (25%)45
First Aid (30%)
History (05%)35
Intimidate (15%)
Jump (20%)
Language (Yourba) (01%)26
.Language (Arabic) (01%)21
Language (Own) (65%)
Law (05%)
Library Use (20%)45
Listen (20%)
.Locksmith (01%)21
Mechanical Repair (10%)25
Medicine (01%)
Natural World (10%)
Navigate (10%)40
.Occult (05%)30
.Persuade (10%)40
Pilot (choose speciality) (01%)
Psychology (10%)
.Ride (05%)25
Science (chose speciality) (01%)
Sleight of Hand (10%)
Spot Hidden (25%)50
Stealth (20%)
Survival (choose speciality) (10%)
.Swim (20%)30
Throw (20%)
Track (10%)

Born in Liverpool in 1860.
To a Welsh Father Thomas Llewelyn and Norwegian Mother Inga Hansdatter.
Caught Smallpox as a child (badly scarred as result low App)
His week lungs disike the english climate and he finds life on the african continent much more agreable.
No formal training in archaeology, just reading and researching where ever he could.
Fairly poor, making money from selling whatever artifact he has managed to find, or trading them for access to libraries he may not have been able to get into elsewhere. (possible connection to the Prof.)
Travelled widely through Africa, Europe and Asia in intervening years.

Ideology/ beliefs
Raised as a Baptist, His father, a huge man with a faith to match became a Deacon to his congregation. David saw him shattered by events and it tore what faith he had from him. He has never returned to the church since.

Significant People
Cecil Hammond an archaeologist, who was the first person to be able to give David even the slightest inkling of what happened to his parents and taught him to dig for the truth.

Meaningful locations
Liverpool where David grew up and a certain hook in the river ngxobongo, Qwabe, South Africa where his world got turned on its head.

Treasured possessions
Talisman found clutched in his Father's hand after the encounter.
His notebook containing any information hinting towards mythos.

Traits
Likes to complete a task, persevering to the point of stubbornness.
Loyal to his friends, which he would say he has few. Slow to trust new people.

Key connections
Knows Curators at large museums throughout Europe,but has an exceptional relationship with Abdallah Malouf at the Cairo Museam, Gifting artifacts found on his digs has allowed him access to areas usually out of bounds to the public.
Also has less reputable associations with deals in London, Paris and Morocco.

Assets.
His life tends towards the nomadic, so he has no fixed abode and will rent a flat or appartment when needed. His clothing is genrally of a functional type.
Last edited by maelstrom on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Horror on the Orient Express”