Baggage Car

This mysterious train pulled up at the station and has silently lurked there ever since, engine cooling, and often with strange sounds coming from its mysterious cabins. What secrets can it be hiding? What threats await?

Moderator: Laraqua

Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Baggage Car

Post by Laraqua »

The Baggage Car has a cheap grey-on-brown patterned carpet across the floor. This section of the car is quite broad and open, but for the crates and sacks of food for the Kitchen Car that sit in one stall in the corner (open one side, walled on the other with bar topped wooden panels) with passenger luggage in another stall and a large dog cage (empty) in the third stall. A narrow passageway extends down the length of the Baggage Car with the middle section containing an opening which reveals four bunks with space for staff luggage. Further down the aisle sits the Train Manager's office and a room where staff can sleep. Beyond that would lie the actual storage space for baggage.

Return to the Dining Car.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Re: Baggage Car

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan runs into the baggage car, closing the door behind him. His heart is pounding, and he finds his hands are shaking again. I must find a way out, out of this train and out of this madness. He nods, convincing himself that this is the best course of action. There should be another exit further on.

Jonathan looks around the car warily, trying to spot anything dangerous before it has a chance to stab him... or worse.
Spoiler:
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He only has a limited amount of time to prepare himself, search this place, or hide. He just knows the conductor will eventually follow him down here.... How long it'll take is unknown. The Baggage Car itself feels empty, though. Quiet. The threats are all outside of the car.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan stops in front of the Train Manager's office. He knows by now there won't be any help in there... but there might be some information. Or something useful. Like a weapon. He breathes in and tries to open the door.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The office door is locked, but as he draws nearer to it he can see that someone battered it down awhile ago. The door itself is mostly intact, but the wood around the jamb is splintered from the force. The office itself is quite cramped and very dark, just as with the rest of the baggage car, but there's enough stray light from the entry way's sole remaining light bulb (from where you entered) that you can make out most of the details. There is a chair pushed up against a desk that backs up against one wall which has three locked drawers. A bunk sits behind it with more cupboards underneath -- which is currently folded into its sofa position. A mirror hangs on the wall, cracked, and there's blood spatter all around it and running down the walls from the base of the mirror. No blood on the mirror, though. None at all.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan walks towards the mirror and checks the blood to see if it's dried or fresh.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The blood is certainly wet, though it has congealed and is no longer dripping wetly down the wall.
Evidence Collection 1-pt spend,There are strands of short dark hair caught within the shards of glass, that contain the root of the hair as though ripped out by someone smashing their forehead into the glass. Yet there is no blood anywhere on the mirror.... The blood spatter around the mirror, however, is consistent with blood flung from someone's face being smashed into the wall right where the mirror is so it should certainly be bloody. Has someone cleaned the mirror? Or did the mirror simply avoid getting bloody in some other fashion? Or is the mirror hiding the place where the real damage lay?
Forensics,Coagulation typically occurs in 15 minutes. A droplet of blood in this cool environment would take around an hour before it would completely dry. None of the spatters here are completely dry so this incident must have occurred between 15 minutes and an hour.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

First of all, Jonathan will wrap a shard of glass in a handkerchief, or should that not be available, a piece of cloth torn from its dress, until it could be handled as a knife. Then, he will remove the mirror from the wall to check behind it (both the back of the mirror itself, and the wall).
OOC:   I made the Evidence Collection spend and updated my sheet.  
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

Jonathon finds no reasonably sized pieces of glass loose on the ground. It seems that the cobweb of cracks hasn't shattered any of the actual larger shards free from their housing. If he attempts to prise out a piece of glass but finds that the glass is stuck in place and finds that though he can pull the mirror free from its housing, checking behind it to see a plain and unmarred wall, it feels drawn back to the wall with quite a distinctive pull. The creepiest part of the situation is how the congealed blood looks a little more wet than he had first thought. How strange! Resisting the magnetic pull of the mirror back to its place of rest, he runs his free hand over the back of it to check for odd lumps. It seems intact and there doesn't appear to be any way to remove it. There is, however, something scratched into the back of the housing that can only be vaguely made out in the gloom:

Ticks from 12 to 11 and 9 to 8 and 6 to 5 but why

It looks like its been scratched quite desperately into the back of it, perhaps by the nip of a pen.

The blood spatter on the wall is glistening quite a bit now.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan watches the blood with disgust and a bit of morbid fascination. Then he shakes his head and goes back to searching the room, starting from the desk, then moving on to the rest. In particular, he'll look for keys to open what's locked.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The first drawer is locked. The second drawer of the desk contains stationary, a notepad, a work diary, and three copies of different timetables all set for the same day. There's something scratched into the bottom of the drawer that he can't make out in the gloom. The third drawer of the desk contains more stationary and a passenger manifest for the train as well as a letter that seems to be regarding the private car. He can't read anything in the gloom of this office.

The cupboards beneath the bunk contain clothing, namely uniforms with one set of normal clothing. There's also a grooming kit and a shoe shine kit down there as well as a shoe box containing an exorbitant amount of money -- 80 pounds!

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan will pick up the letter to read it outside. After that, he'll turn to leave... but he won't resist checking on the blood one last time.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The letter says:
I don't understand what happened. The train has stopped in the middle of nowhere and the conductor I sent to speak with the train drivers didn't return. There was some sort of strange screech in the air not long after they left and a suspicious wet patch on the grass a little too far away to see clearly. I couldn't in all conscience send anyone else to inspect the situation, especially since the train drivers haven't returned to us. I've been hoping for daylight so that we could better investigate the area but the day doesn't seem to come. In fact, though it seems bizarre, the clock seems to tick toward the end of an hour and then tick back to the beginning in nearly every train car.

A few of our passengers thought that meant that time was reversing. A wild theory. I have personally moved between train cars and seen no sign of such changes in time. If I am to be honest, I did wonder myself but am thankful that nothing of the sort is occurring here. It makes little sense, however.

We have a pianist, at least, who is capable of entertaining the other passengers. Mr. Jack Morgan, fellow passenger. He's a charismatic sort and very conscientious. I believe he will be of excellent service in keeping people calm. I fear
The letter ends there without any blood drops or scrawl to suggest it ended in an attack.

The blood drops are very glossy now. They appear to be running up in rivulets back to the mirror. As he watches, the last few drops roll up into position and the mirror pops into place, the cracks disappearing with a snap. He hears the door to the train car open....

STABILITY LOSS 1 Point if you fail.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan takes a step back, started, then turns towards the door, ready to defend himself.

Spoiler:
http://orokos.com/roll/488294
Failed the Stability roll. I'll update the sheet with a 1 point loss.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

He can hear footsteps entering from the direction of the Dining Car, dragging a dead weight along with them. From this angle, Jonathon can't see anyone nor can he be seen until whomever it is walks down the corridor past the office.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan will move around as silently as possible, trying to hide somewhere he can't be seen from the corridor.
Spoiler:
Should I roll Stealth or something else?
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

His best bet would be to slip into the actual baggage section of the train car. He will need to be quite stealthy to do so....

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

Jonathan will try to sneak out of the office and reach somewhere safer.
Stealth roll,Really don't want to mess this up, I spent three points and updated the sheet. Result: 8 http://orokos.com/roll/490881
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The door to the baggage section of that has a lock on it but it looks like someone has broken down the door awhile ago. Now the door only barely sits in place, making it quite easy to push it open and close it behind you. Thankfully, since turning the knob would add that extra bit of noise. The baggage car itself is mounded high with crates and boxes and hessian sacks of flour and other produce. There's even a whole bunch of mail in a few satchels marked with various train stations to allow a speedy drop off. Some of the crates in here are quite large but without a light source you can't make out any labels. The blinds are all mostly shut but a ghostly light suffuses the area from the mist-shrouded outside world and provides enough light to see the various silhouettes.

You hear the crack of flesh against glass in the other room you have just vacated. It seems he went there first.... Whoever "he" might be.

Overlord87
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Overlord87 »

OOC:   Is there any other exit apart from the one leading back to the Dining Car?  

Return to “Mysterious Train”