Smoking Car

This mysterious train pulled up at the station and has silently lurked there ever since, engine cooling, and often with strange sounds coming from its mysterious cabins. What secrets can it be hiding? What threats await?

Moderator: Laraqua

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Smoking Car

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate enters from the Lounge Car and looks around.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Laraqua »

The room smells heavy with exotic cigars and foreign cigarettes. There are no lights in here bar a single candle stuck to the table top with melted wax and which casts everything in a desperate flickering gloom. On one side, a set of wicker chairs with leather backs and seats face off over a blue-covered table. Many pairings have sat in those chairs, their intimate discussions staining the wicker with words left unsaid and deeds left undid.

On the other side, similar chairs face couches over similar tables so that three might sit and converse. Luggage racks sit near the ceiling beside each table on gilded, handwrought brackets, so that passengers may place small items up there and out of reach. There are some items up there now, their silhouettes heavy in the flickering candle light. Someone has also carved shapes and lines into a few of the tables, always furthest away from the candle. The carpet is a pattern of depressing browns, whites and greys. There are no curtains here, only peach-coloured spring-loaded blinds.

A small shelf by one of the doors carries an ornate golden clock who's furtive ticking removes moments from lives, threatening revelations and too-soon destinations. The golden clock is ornate and expensive, and it seems to be slowly winding down as it ticks the seconds on a much reduced and slowed down scale.

This room disturbs the mind. It turns sounds back on themselves. It's also cold in a cloying, heat-sucking sort of way.

Go backward for the Lounge Car.
Go forward into the Dining Car.

NOTE: Charlie Hagan is in the connecting bit of the train between this car and the dining car, peeking in through the door. Once you enter that part (which will still be done through this thread), you can speak to him.
Charlie Hagan,everything seems calm and orderly there. Nothing of concern whatsoever.
Is it bad that I listen to this about ten times a day?

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Ritterton
Adept
Adept
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed Ms. Kate into the Smoking Car and looked about. The room was disconcerting. As he walked down the aisle, he looked about and moved towards the ornate clock. He shivered as he moved towards the clock trying to figure out the period of its manufacture and its origins.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The clock is clearly very well-treated and dates from the late 1800s, likely the mid 1880s, and looks to have a resolutely British design. Perhaps it just needs to be wound again in order to get the seconds to click correctly but it's missing the key.

Oh, also, check out my new blog on roleplaying and running games: http://stwildonroleplaying.blogspot.com/
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate advances through the car and opens the door to the connecting section. "Mr. Hagan!" she says with a smile. "It's Miss Lacey. Do you know where Miss Aston is?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Charlie glances behind him quickly but loosens up when he recognises Kate. Sliding the door into the next car closed he gestured back towards the smoking car and says "We can talk in there."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kate nods and leads Charlie back into the Smoking Car.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed behind, a bit surprised to finally see someone that he actually recognized.
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

Once inside the smoking car Charlie quickly starts explaining without pause or preamble. "Okay first of all assume everyone on this train you haven't met yet is bonkers because they probably are, the guy you probably just met basically seems unable to care about all the fucked up stuff going on, I don't think he's dangerous but he's not helpful either and there is dried blood on his shirt so be wary." Growing faster and more panicky he continues to say "The conductor is some sort of serial killer who murders anyone on the train without a ticket so I'm just a teensy bit worried about heading into the next car because that's where he is but that's also where the others were but now they're not there but there's no blood or signs of a struggle so I hope they're alright and maybe that thing is still outside and we can pit it against the conductor and if it's not we can just leave this damn train and try and catch one that isn't all messed up." He finally stops, completely out of breath.
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Are you saying the conductor killed off our colleagues?" Artemis looked about with a bit of nervousness. "So, what does this conductor look like? And, I agree we don't want to proceed forward if getting off this train is a safer option."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I refuse to believe they're dead," insists Kate. "I haven't seen their bodies. While there's life, there's hope. We have to save Miss Aston and whoever was with her, and there isn't a moment to lose!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

"He's dressed like a conductor, can't miss him."
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Well then, Miss Kate, do you have any plan on how we deal with this Conductor?" Artemis asked as he looked at Miss Kate and then Charlie.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Not as such," says Kate, "but we haven't time! If he is some sort of Jack the Ripper, we have to hurry before it's too late! We'll just have to wing it. At least there are three of us and only one of him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

"Charlie,do you have any idea as to how we can subdue the man? Artemis asked as he looked at the next door up ahead. "I think we can overpower the man, if necessary. Alright, let's do this."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've got my first aid kit," says Kate. "I think there's a tranquilizer in there. Let's go."
OOC,The first aid kit is part of my equipment. If it wouldn't ordinarily have a sedative, I'm willing to spend Preparedness to have some, and I'll get it ready as we proceed to the next car.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Charlie Hagan
Acolyte
Acolyte

Post by Charlie Hagan »

"Yeah tranq should work, right? I mean sure he's crazy but he's just a man. Could always kick him in the whatsit." He laughs nervously as he slides the door. "Well, here we go." And Charlie leads the way into the dining car.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's my backup plan," says Kate. Once she has a syringe with a sedative prepared (if she has one), she follows Charlie into the next car.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Ritterton
Adept
Adept

Post by Ritterton »

Artemis followed along with the others. His walking stick taped out a constant tempo.
Laraqua
Son of Yog-Sothoth
Son of Yog-Sothoth

Post by Laraqua »

The room smells heavy with exotic cigars and foreign cigarettes. There are no lights in here bar a single candle stuck to the table top with melted wax and which casts everything in a desperate flickering gloom. On one side, a set of wicker chairs with leather backs and seats face off over a blue-covered table. Many pairings have sat in those chairs, their intimate discussions staining the wicker with words left unsaid and deeds left undid.

On the other side, similar chairs face couches over similar tables so that three might sit and converse. Luggage racks sit near the ceiling beside each table on gilded, handwrought brackets, so that passengers may place small items up there and out of reach. There are some items up there now, their silhouettes heavy in the flickering candle light. Someone has also carved shapes and lines into a few of the tables, always furthest away from the candle. The carpet is a pattern of depressing browns, whites and greys. There are no curtains here, only peach-coloured spring-loaded blinds.

A small shelf by one of the doors carries an ornate golden clock who's furtive ticking removes moments from lives, threatening revelations and too-soon destinations. The golden clock is ornate and expensive, and it seems to be slowly winding down as it ticks the seconds on a much reduced and slowed down scale.

This room disturbs the mind. It turns sounds back on themselves. It's also cold in a cloying, heat-sucking sort of way.

Go backward for the Lounge Car.
Go forward into the Dining Car.

Return to “Mysterious Train”