Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to Soci

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to Society; Or, Domestic Battlefields

The female creature having placed her fate in the hands of Doctor North, there remains the question of how so unusual a being might be accepted by the world. Education is, of course, of prime importance. Having proved herself an apt pupil, this should present no particular problems. More concerning is her appearance, and her lack of experience with the common niceties of daily life. The first challenge will be her inevitable meeting with the members of the Highdark household; unless, perchance, the decision is made to keep her in hiding for the nonce.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to

Post by jp1885 »

While his friends ponder the best way of revealing the presence of the reanimated young lady, Lepus remains at a polite distance, preferring to wander the Highdark estate talking to the stones, singing to the trees and joking with the sky.

However, despite his misgivings and unease at the unnatural life that courses through the girl, his curiosity eventually gets the better of him. Sighing in resignation, he sidles up to Henry.

“Very well, how might ol’ Lepus assist? Hast thou named the girl?”
OOC,I’ve no problem with anyone playing the girl :)
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

As long as the party remains near the hermit's hut, William keeps his attention there, lest the man attempt some other mischief.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you. I could use some assistance in getting her cleaned up and ready to be presented," says Henry. He turns to the female creature. "What do you think of the name Eliza? We're going to have to find a change of clothes for you, good clothes, as befits a lady, for that is what you shall learn to be. I shall need to instruct you on how to act in high society. You shall also need a bath, and to have your hair styled. I shall adopt you as my daughter, and you shall live accordingly, in wealth and style. You shall have a mother as well, my darling wife Elizabeth, and my other children shall be your brothers and sisters. You shall be educated as they are, by a governess for most things, and by me personally in matters of science and medicine."
OOC,I'm also good with someone playing her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Unexplained die roll[dice]0[/dice]
Caution being advised, lest Old Longshanks prove to offer further obstacles, the adventurers remain wary for a sufficient time to ensure that no threat is immediately evident. Making their way to the manor home, they are able to secure the newly christened Eliza a sufficient, if not luxurious, place in Miss Ravenscroft's damaged and abandoned rooms, without, as yet, the knowledge of the other inhabitants. Displaying curiosity about a few pieces of fine clothing which remain in in said place, she contrasts them sadly with her own torn and soiled frock.

"Pretty," she says. A brief attempt to place them about her own person proves that they are far too small to be worn properly; as would, indeed, any raiment meant for an ordinary woman.

Becoming clean is a easier task, there being an abundant supply of soap, perfumes, and -- wonder of wonders! -- an elaborate device, designed by Miss Ravenscroft, which supplies hot water at the touch of a finger. Demonstrating what must be a natural sense of modesty, Eliza is careful to perform this laving of herself in privacy, emerging only when properly draped.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

During this interlude of calm, William announces an intention to take his leave of Highdark Hall. "The encounter with the Furies - I suppose they could not have been anything else - brought it home to me," he says. "It is strange to think of myself as having a 'destiny,' but there it is. And as long as it exists, I am not such a man as to wait for it. I must be on my way to meet it. You have been company to be proud of, gentlemen." [He shows no trace of irony in including Lepus in the latter]

Naturally he pays appropriate thanks to Lord Highdark for his hospitality. (And if the opportunity arises for a farewell dalliance with Lady Highdark, he will take it).
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Fare thee well gallant soldier,” says Lepus, grabbing William’s hands with his own grubby appendages. “May thy fate be long in coming!”

Thankfully for the revenant girl, Lepus possesses little in the way of ardour and thinks nothing of her semi-clothed state. If she wishes, he will attempt to stitch some clothing together for her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It was an honour to fight at your side," says Henry, shaking William's hand. "Whatever may happen, you shall be remembered, by me and by my descendants, when I tell them the tales of our exploits." He looks through the clothing. "We'll have to eventually have clothes tailor-made for Eliza. In the meantime, if we cannot make women's clothing, there is probably something in Ivan's wardrobe that would fit, though it would of course be made for a man. He is nearly the same size."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

By hook or by crook, as the saying goes, suitable attire is produced for Eliza, although it would never appear in the fashion plates studied so intensely by stylish ladies. There remains the question of how this unusual female be introduced to other members of the household, given her exceptional appearance.

Meanwhile, William goes to seek his fortune, possibly in the New World.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can say that we rescued Eliza from a hermit who was forcing her to be his servant," says Henry. "It's true, after all."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Aye, 'tis true. And out of the goodness out of thy heart, thou has adopted the poor girl. What say you Eliza?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I... it is true. I shall do what you say. Eliza... I have a name."

OOC,Whoah, is there way to scale that down?
Last edited by SunlessNick on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
I went through Paint, Photo, Image Save, and Crop to get this.
I hope it works.Image

The link is https://img.techpowerup.org/201112/untitled.jpg

Put that between Image and it should show up, I hope.
After several days have passed, with the adventurers mingling with their hosts in calmer ways than oft whilst Eliza remains in seclusion, and the various members of the household in finer mood than usual, an opportunity arises for this storm-tossed orphan to make her way into the world. There is to be a social gathering at Highdark Hall, to which the guests are welcome to bring such company as they may think fit. Having acquired some education in proper behavior from her creator and mentor, Eliza faces the opportunity, and challenge, of coming into close contact with strangers.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus, having little interest in socials and soirées, is content to lurk around the edges of the assembly, observing affairs from afar. If he can, he will occasionally wander off, either to converse with the servants or inspect Lord Highdark’s collections.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I went through Paint, Photo, Image Save, and Crop to get this.
Many thanks, that's perfect.
MrHandy,"Whatever may happen, you shall be remembered, by me and by my descendants, when I tell them the tales of our exploits." Ironic given what happened in Liz's time.

"I am to meet more people now? That is... frightening, but also appealing. Is it true that none will appear as I do?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's right, Eliza," says Henry, pausing his lessons on which spoon to use for soup and how to speak in polite company. "There is nobody else like you. We are all unique, of course, but you are perhaps more unique than most. There will be other women, though none with your strength."
SunlessNick,Yes, the reference was deliberate.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The day of the gathering arrives. Guests arriving from some distance, even the great mother city of London herself, it is expected to extend throughout the week. The first order of business, of course, is to make introduction to the Altumbers and their relations. Lord and Lady Highdark are, as always, gracious, although it is clear that Eliza's appearance raises their eyebrows. Harold seems particularly fascinated by her.

"I shall have to paint you sometime," he remarks. "I trust that you are not excessively modest when it comes to drapery. I picture you as Hippolyta, armed for battle."

Georgina, on the other hand, is shy around Eliza. Her infant daughter shrieks in her presence, and is removed from the room by her nurse. Her husband Henry is polite, but makes strange gestures with his fingers when he believes he is not being observed.

The young twins Juno and Julia are openly fascinated by her, and pester her with many questions. One of them asks, "Are you an ogre?"

"Really, child," Lady Highdark remarks, using the form of address she often chooses, when it is uncertain which of the two she is admonishing. "We shall hear no more of your foolishness." By way of apology, she says to Eliza, "Have you skill upon the spinet, my dear? I have always believed that music is a proper study for a lady."
Lepus,The servants who have seen the new arrival are not pleased, judging by overheard kitchen gossip. "That one's devil's own for sure. Seen you Satan's marks upon her? Evil eye she has, mark my words."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Observing the Henry’s discreet gesture, Lepus, no doubt familiar with such things, tries to remember its meaning.

Overhearing the servants’ tittle-tattle, the wanderer attempts to pour oil on troubled waters.

“Psht! One so well-educated in such matters as I can see ‘tis not the case! I did hear the poor girl was left scarred and orphaned when her carriage left the road. Lord North did adopt her out of charity. Pity the child if you will, but fear her not!”

When the opportunity arises he will warm Henry that the servants fear his ‘daughter’.

“Tread carefully we must, lest we be driven from this place afore our work be done, yesno?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Eliza responds as best she can to each of the family's reactions. She thanks Lord and Lady Highdark for their graciousness is hosting her and her adoptive father.

To Harold she frowns, as if trying to puzzle out his meaning, then says. "I think I would like that. Thankyou."
OOC,It took her a moment to realise he meant a picture of her, rather than painting [i]her[/i]. I assume she doesn't know who Hyppolyta is, though it's presumable that she is some kind of warrrior woman.
She responds to Georgina in kind, remaining cold. She is distressed at the baby's reaction, seemingly on the verge of screaming herself. She does not seem to notice Henry's gestures, or at least to regard them of little import.

To the twins' question, she replies, "I am not sure. Perhaps I am."

And to Lady Highdark's question she replies, "I regret I have but little accomplishment. But if it is proper, I should like to learn."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My wife Elizabeth is a very talented musician," Henry says. "I'm sure she can give you lessons, Eliza."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”