Page 1 of 1

Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to Soci

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to Society; Or, Domestic Battlefields

The female creature having placed her fate in the hands of Doctor North, there remains the question of how so unusual a being might be accepted by the world. Education is, of course, of prime importance. Having proved herself an apt pupil, this should present no particular problems. More concerning is her appearance, and her lack of experience with the common niceties of daily life. The first challenge will be her inevitable meeting with the members of the Highdark household; unless, perchance, the decision is made to keep her in hiding for the nonce.

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:42 pm
by jp1885

While his friends ponder the best way of revealing the presence of the reanimated young lady, Lepus remains at a polite distance, preferring to wander the Highdark estate talking to the stones, singing to the trees and joking with the sky.

However, despite his misgivings and unease at the unnatural life that courses through the girl, his curiosity eventually gets the better of him. Sighing in resignation, he sidles up to Henry.

“Very well, how might ol’ Lepus assist? Hast thou named the girl?”
OOC,I’ve no problem with anyone playing the girl :)

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:55 pm
by SunlessNick
As long as the party remains near the hermit's hut, William keeps his attention there, lest the man attempt some other mischief.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you. I could use some assistance in getting her cleaned up and ready to be presented," says Henry. He turns to the female creature. "What do you think of the name Eliza? We're going to have to find a change of clothes for you, good clothes, as befits a lady, for that is what you shall learn to be. I shall need to instruct you on how to act in high society. You shall also need a bath, and to have your hair styled. I shall adopt you as my daughter, and you shall live accordingly, in wealth and style. You shall have a mother as well, my darling wife Elizabeth, and my other children shall be your brothers and sisters. You shall be educated as they are, by a governess for most things, and by me personally in matters of science and medicine."
OOC,I'm also good with someone playing her.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Unexplained die roll[dice]0[/dice]
Caution being advised, lest Old Longshanks prove to offer further obstacles, the adventurers remain wary for a sufficient time to ensure that no threat is immediately evident. Making their way to the manor home, they are able to secure the newly christened Eliza a sufficient, if not luxurious, place in Miss Ravenscroft's damaged and abandoned rooms, without, as yet, the knowledge of the other inhabitants. Displaying curiosity about a few pieces of fine clothing which remain in in said place, she contrasts them sadly with her own torn and soiled frock.

"Pretty," she says. A brief attempt to place them about her own person proves that they are far too small to be worn properly; as would, indeed, any raiment meant for an ordinary woman.

Becoming clean is a easier task, there being an abundant supply of soap, perfumes, and -- wonder of wonders! -- an elaborate device, designed by Miss Ravenscroft, which supplies hot water at the touch of a finger. Demonstrating what must be a natural sense of modesty, Eliza is careful to perform this laving of herself in privacy, emerging only when properly draped.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:47 pm
by SunlessNick
During this interlude of calm, William announces an intention to take his leave of Highdark Hall. "The encounter with the Furies - I suppose they could not have been anything else - brought it home to me," he says. "It is strange to think of myself as having a 'destiny,' but there it is. And as long as it exists, I am not such a man as to wait for it. I must be on my way to meet it. You have been company to be proud of, gentlemen." [He shows no trace of irony in including Lepus in the latter]

Naturally he pays appropriate thanks to Lord Highdark for his hospitality. (And if the opportunity arises for a farewell dalliance with Lady Highdark, he will take it).

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:18 pm
by jp1885

“Fare thee well gallant soldier,” says Lepus, grabbing William’s hands with his own grubby appendages. “May thy fate be long in coming!”

Thankfully for the revenant girl, Lepus possesses little in the way of ardour and thinks nothing of her semi-clothed state. If she wishes, he will attempt to stitch some clothing together for her.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It was an honour to fight at your side," says Henry, shaking William's hand. "Whatever may happen, you shall be remembered, by me and by my descendants, when I tell them the tales of our exploits." He looks through the clothing. "We'll have to eventually have clothes tailor-made for Eliza. In the meantime, if we cannot make women's clothing, there is probably something in Ivan's wardrobe that would fit, though it would of course be made for a man. He is nearly the same size."

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:31 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By hook or by crook, as the saying goes, suitable attire is produced for Eliza, although it would never appear in the fashion plates studied so intensely by stylish ladies. There remains the question of how this unusual female be introduced to other members of the household, given her exceptional appearance.

Meanwhile, William goes to seek his fortune, possibly in the New World.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We can say that we rescued Eliza from a hermit who was forcing her to be his servant," says Henry. "It's true, after all."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:21 am
by jp1885

"Aye, 'tis true. And out of the goodness out of thy heart, thou has adopted the poor girl. What say you Eliza?"

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:49 pm
by SunlessNick

"I... it is true. I shall do what you say. Eliza... I have a name."

OOC,Whoah, is there way to scale that down?

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
I went through Paint, Photo, Image Save, and Crop to get this.
I hope it works.Image

The link is https://img.techpowerup.org/201112/untitled.jpg

Put that between Image and it should show up, I hope.
After several days have passed, with the adventurers mingling with their hosts in calmer ways than oft whilst Eliza remains in seclusion, and the various members of the household in finer mood than usual, an opportunity arises for this storm-tossed orphan to make her way into the world. There is to be a social gathering at Highdark Hall, to which the guests are welcome to bring such company as they may think fit. Having acquired some education in proper behavior from her creator and mentor, Eliza faces the opportunity, and challenge, of coming into close contact with strangers.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:23 pm
by jp1885

Lepus, having little interest in socials and soirées, is content to lurk around the edges of the assembly, observing affairs from afar. If he can, he will occasionally wander off, either to converse with the servants or inspect Lord Highdark’s collections.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:28 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I went through Paint, Photo, Image Save, and Crop to get this.
Many thanks, that's perfect.
MrHandy,"Whatever may happen, you shall be remembered, by me and by my descendants, when I tell them the tales of our exploits." Ironic given what happened in Liz's time.

"I am to meet more people now? That is... frightening, but also appealing. Is it true that none will appear as I do?"

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's right, Eliza," says Henry, pausing his lessons on which spoon to use for soup and how to speak in polite company. "There is nobody else like you. We are all unique, of course, but you are perhaps more unique than most. There will be other women, though none with your strength."
SunlessNick,Yes, the reference was deliberate.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The day of the gathering arrives. Guests arriving from some distance, even the great mother city of London herself, it is expected to extend throughout the week. The first order of business, of course, is to make introduction to the Altumbers and their relations. Lord and Lady Highdark are, as always, gracious, although it is clear that Eliza's appearance raises their eyebrows. Harold seems particularly fascinated by her.

"I shall have to paint you sometime," he remarks. "I trust that you are not excessively modest when it comes to drapery. I picture you as Hippolyta, armed for battle."

Georgina, on the other hand, is shy around Eliza. Her infant daughter shrieks in her presence, and is removed from the room by her nurse. Her husband Henry is polite, but makes strange gestures with his fingers when he believes he is not being observed.

The young twins Juno and Julia are openly fascinated by her, and pester her with many questions. One of them asks, "Are you an ogre?"

"Really, child," Lady Highdark remarks, using the form of address she often chooses, when it is uncertain which of the two she is admonishing. "We shall hear no more of your foolishness." By way of apology, she says to Eliza, "Have you skill upon the spinet, my dear? I have always believed that music is a proper study for a lady."
Lepus,The servants who have seen the new arrival are not pleased, judging by overheard kitchen gossip. "That one's devil's own for sure. Seen you Satan's marks upon her? Evil eye she has, mark my words."

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:12 pm
by jp1885

Observing the Henry’s discreet gesture, Lepus, no doubt familiar with such things, tries to remember its meaning.

Overhearing the servants’ tittle-tattle, the wanderer attempts to pour oil on troubled waters.

“Psht! One so well-educated in such matters as I can see ‘tis not the case! I did hear the poor girl was left scarred and orphaned when her carriage left the road. Lord North did adopt her out of charity. Pity the child if you will, but fear her not!”

When the opportunity arises he will warm Henry that the servants fear his ‘daughter’.

“Tread carefully we must, lest we be driven from this place afore our work be done, yesno?”

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:42 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza responds as best she can to each of the family's reactions. She thanks Lord and Lady Highdark for their graciousness is hosting her and her adoptive father.

To Harold she frowns, as if trying to puzzle out his meaning, then says. "I think I would like that. Thankyou."
OOC,It took her a moment to realise he meant a picture of her, rather than painting [i]her[/i]. I assume she doesn't know who Hyppolyta is, though it's presumable that she is some kind of warrrior woman.
She responds to Georgina in kind, remaining cold. She is distressed at the baby's reaction, seemingly on the verge of screaming herself. She does not seem to notice Henry's gestures, or at least to regard them of little import.

To the twins' question, she replies, "I am not sure. Perhaps I am."

And to Lady Highdark's question she replies, "I regret I have but little accomplishment. But if it is proper, I should like to learn."

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"My wife Elizabeth is a very talented musician," Henry says. "I'm sure she can give you lessons, Eliza."

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lepus,[dice]0[/dice]You are unable to recognize Henry's curious gesture. It is possible that it is something known only to members of his own small tribe of Gypsies, and foreign to others.
As the other guests arrive, one by one, it is clear that Eliza captures their attention, in one manner or another. A certain young lady, dressed in the latest style, seems much taken with her.

"My dear," she says "you simply must tell me who does your hair. It is enchanting! So original!"

An older gentleman, who practices medicine, studies her closely through his spectacles. Upon learning that Doctor North is of the same profession, he draws him aside and makes inquiry.

"My Lord, what diagnosis do you make of this poor girl's condition? I have never known the like, yet she is clearly afflicted with some serious imbalance of the humours."

There is a rather foppish fellow, affecting powder in the French manner, who proceeds to flirt with Eliza in a semi-comic manner, as he does with every woman present, be she married or no. Some laugh at this, others find his behavior annoying. As he places his lips above (but not actually touching, showing some modicum of proper manners) Eliza's hand, he remarks, as he has to many other ladies, "Will you take a stroll with me in the garden, that the blossoms therein may grow jealous of one who puts their splendor to shame?"

Be this invitation accepted or not, eventually the guests will be invited to participate in a game of battledore and shuttlecock (named jeu de volant by the young fop.)

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:48 am
by jp1885

Having never heard of this game, Lepus’ interest is piqued. If the refined company accepts his presence, he will be happy to give it a go.

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It is a rare condition indeed," Henry says to his fellow physician. "I'm sure you are correct about the imbalance of the humours. It could be a case of gigantism. She has grown to quite a prodigious size, and she has great strength as well."

When the game is announced, Henry will gladly participate, though his reflexes have not been the same since his exposure to the strange meteorite.

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:46 pm
by SunlessNick

"Does..." Eliza says hesitantly to the young woman. "I myself, I suppose, with some help from my father and his friend. It needed little to be done."

She will accept the young fop's offer, and attempt to mirror his behaviour during the walk, while remembering what Dr North has taught her.

She is also interested in taking part in the suggested game (she variously uses all the names for it that come up rather than settling on one).

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Eliza,During the stroll in the garden, under the concealing shade of a trellis covered with flowering vines, the young fellow remarks, in the manner of one quoting from memory, "There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." As if this statement were mere preparation for a romantic sortie, he attempts to steal a kiss (the high French-style heels he affects adding sufficient to his height to make this movement possible, given the unusual size of his target.)
The game of battledore and shuttlecock not being familiar to all present, Lady Highdark offers a brief explanation. One takes hold of the battledore, a sort of handled basket constructed from wood and parchment, and uses it to toss the shuttlecock, a small object consisting of feathers attached to a cork base. The object is for the players to keep the shuttlecock in the air for as long as possible, whilst conveying it from one to another.

As a further refinement of the concept, the players may be divided into two teams, each having the goal of snatching the shuttlecock from the opposing team whilst it is on the fly.

"I shall be the leader of one team," Lady Highdark says, "whilst my dear husband shall head the other. Let us arrange ourselves as we please."

The young fop quickly places himself on Lady Highdark's side of the lawn, using the excuse of having her demonstrate the proper use of the battledore to place his arm around her waist. Having suffered already the attentions of the fellow, the young woman who so admired Eliza's coiffure places herself near Lord Highdark. The doctor of medicine, his athletic youth only a memory, chooses to remain to the side, and will serve as judge, to determine which team has most cunningly sent the shuttlecock flying. The adventurers may arrange themselves as they please, there being a sufficient number of other guests to ensure that the teams will be equal in number.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:43 am
by SunlessNick
Vicki,Eliza pushes the young fop a way with some force (though she has no wish to injure him). "[color=#0040FF]I do not believe this is proper behaviour,[/color]" she says.
Eliza will also take Lord Highdark's side in the game.

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:28 pm
by jp1885
OOC,Odds Lady H, evens Lord H [dice]0[/dice]
After a brief discussion with the wind, Lepus opts to join Lady Highdark’s team.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry joins Lord Highdark's side, primarily because he wants to be on the same team as Eliza. Not only does he not wish to oppose her, but he is also convinced that she will be a natural at this game due to her size and agility.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The two teams thus arranged -- Lady Highdark, Lepus, the young fop, and, to even things out, Ivan, upon one side of the field, with Lord Highdark, Eliza, Doctor North, and the young woman upon the other -- play begins.
Spoiler:
Lady Highdark's team, in order.[dice]0[/dice]

Lord Highdark's team, in order.[dice]1[/dice]
The older doctor, enthused by the sight of healthful exercise, provides commentary.

"Launch the shuttlecock, my Lady! Oh, bad luck, into the ground it goes. Your turn to serve, my Lord. Dear, dear, this is off to a poor start. Can no one hurl this pretty little bird aloft? How about yon country fellow [indicating Lepus]? I say, well done! Look at it go flying, high as any young merlin! Let us see if your opponents can seize the falcon in its cage! Ah, the tall lady [indicating Eliza] is as graceful as she is, er, striking in appearance. Yes, and the handsome young lad [indicating the fop] catches it, if only just. No winks at the ladies, you merry rogue! Throw, throw I say! My fellow in the arts of healing [indicating Doctor North] honors our mutual profession with a fine catch. Thence to the mighty manservant [indicating Ivan], who displays proper obedience to his master. Toss the winged prisoner finely; you are on English ground now, not your own frozen wasteland! Oh, the pretty young lady is so cautious of her gown that she fails to secure the object of play. Victory to Lady Highdark, albeit a narrow one! Huzzah!" He tosses his hat in the air.

All are quite winded in the balmy air after this jolly battle, and proceed indoors for refreshment.

"There must be spoils for the victors," states Lord Highdark. "What shall they be?"

"I would suggest kisses," remarks the fop,"save that yon Amazon near shattered my arm whilst I paid courtesy to her."

"A recitation," Lady Highdark declares, "that the wits may be tested as finely as the sinews. Begin, if you will, my dear."

Lord Highdark assumes a serious pose and quotes from Doctor Johnson's The Vanity of Human Wishes:

The teeming mother, anxious for her race,
Begs for each birth the fortune of a face:
Yet Vane could tell what ills from beauty spring;
And Sedley curs’d the form that pleas’d a king.
Ye nymphs of rosy lips and radiant eyes,
Whom Pleasure keeps too busy to be wise,
Whom Joys with soft varieties invite,
By day the frolic, and the dance by night,
Who frown with vanity, who smile with art,
And ask the latest fashion of the heart,
What care, what rules your heedless charms shall save,
Each nymph your rival, and each youth your slave?

The young lady, of a more romantic nature, blushes slightly and recites from Lady Montagu's A Hymn to the Moon:

Thou silver deity of secret night,
Direct my footsteps through the woodland shade;
Thou conscious witness of unknown delight,
The Lover’s guardian, and the Muse’s aid!
By thy pale beams I solitary rove,
To thee my tender grief confide;
Serenely sweet you gild the silent grove,
My friend, my goddess, and my guide.
E’en thee, fair queen, from thy amazing height,
The charms of young Endymion drew;
Veil’d with the mantle of concealing night;
With all thy greatness and thy coldness too.

The group eagerly awaits what Eliza and Doctor North have to say.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:11 pm
by jp1885

Celebrating the win, Lepus tosses his tricorne into the air (sending a number of inoffensive insects skyward). Catching it deftly, he capers and bows to the spectators.

Grinning happily, he jigs along in time with the rhythm of the poems.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:45 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza hesitates, uncertain how to proceed, and growing distressed as all the attention is now focussed on her. "I..." she begins, before tailing off.

Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps I should go first," says Henry, and he begins to recite from his excellent memory The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Coleridge, which always reminds him of his never-ending struggle with Death. He also hopes that its sheer length will spare Eliza from having to recite poetry which she has not had time yet to learn.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:20 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This clever ploy requires sufficient time that all are ready to set aside the recitations and proceed to a light repast. If there be any comment upon Eliza's reticence, it is ascribed to the shyness that oft accompanies a person of the female sex who is, like Shakespeare's Rosalind, "more than common tall."

The meal is of no great size, but of fine quality, consisting of such rare and costly items as chicken, peas, artichokes, and even that curious vegetable, newly imported from the New World, bearing the somewhat comical name of potato. There is sufficient ale and port to comfort the soul.

There is polite conversation, this being known to be conducive to digestion, eliciting opinions from the guests as such subjects "this Bonaparte fellow" (shall there be war again?) and the learned females known as bluestockings, who some fancy to be modern Muses; is such accomplish congruent with virtue?

"What say you, my friends," Lord Highdark remarks, as he enjoys an early strawberry.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:40 pm
by jp1885

Lepus, having failed to solicit this new-fangled potato in conversation, declares it edible. Thus he chews on this vegetable noisily while he considers the topics bandied about the table.

“I know little of this Napoleon. Be it true the fellow is an ogre? Mayhap a modest tribute of goats will placate the monster and keep him from these shores? Such animals be mighty pleasing to ogres,” he says, sagely.

“Bluestockings? I once knew a faerie who called herself Yellow Stockings. ‘twas a distant cousin as I recall. Mighty appetite for men’s hearts and hen’s livers, but would nary tell a book from one of these po-tay-toes,” he declares, waving the one impaled on his fork.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:13 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza tries some of each type of food, and seems to enjoy everything she tastes (although some combinations may surprise onlookers). The potato seems acceptable enough. "Is Bonaparte too of great size?" she asks in response to Lepus describing him as an ogre, since such a term was also applied to her. This is no doubt greeted with laughter as if she had made a joke - to which Eliza reacts with a heated expression, which may be embarassment or anger. Regarding the bluestockings, she says "I know far less of the would than I should like. I cannot fault others for thinking the same."

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"This potato may look strange, but it's quite delicious," says Henry. sampling it. "I wonder how it would taste fried."

"Bonaparte is of rather short stature, actually," he adds when the subject arises. "Not an ogre, but perhaps he is a faerie himself, a changeling left behind in place of a human babe. In any case, I expect more trouble from him. As for the bluestockings, I have always advocated the education of women. God gave them their talents for a reason. It would be a shame to waste them."

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is much amusement at the eccentric replies given by Lepus, and appreciation for Eliza's witty remark (even if it not be intended in that fashion.) After Lady Highdark acknowledges Doctor North's wise response with a nod, and the fop makes some half-whispered remark about appreciating any shade of a lady's stockings, so long as they be properly removable, the conversation is interrupted by a shout from without.

"Steal from me, would ye? Old Longbones knows a thing or three, he does!"

Peering out the window, it can be seen that the speaker in question is, curiously enough, engaged in planting seeds of some kind in the ground.

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:43 am
by SunlessNick

"Him!" snarls Eliza in a tone fit more for beast than woman. She stands, as if to charge out of the room toward her erstwhile captor.

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's the blackguard that enslaved Eliza," says Henry, drawing his pistol. "Ivan, come with us. Whatever he's up to with those seeds, it isn't good."

Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 am
by jp1885

“Aye, the fellow be dangerous. Mayhap the fine gentlemen should escort the fine ladies to a safe place,” Lepus warns the guests. “Leave us to deal with the man.”

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
From the places where the hermit has placed the seeds (or whatever they may be) it can be seen that the ground is rising. There are five such places, from which large mounds of dirt now protrude, and increase in height as one observes them.

Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:32 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I've heard tell of goblins' teeth," says Henry, standing ready. "When planted in the ground, they are supposed to sprout into goblins. I've never seen such for myself, and I never gave such tales credence, but I've seen enough strange things to know that they are possible."

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:55 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza maintains barely enough self control not to smash her way out through the window, but makes for the nearest door by which she can reach her enemy.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 pm
by jp1885

Muttering darkly, Lepus follows Eliza.

“Let’s us put an end to this, yesno?”

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
From under the ground emerge five skeletons, each one carrying a short sword and a small round shield. They march toward the adventurers in military formation, ready to engage in battle. The hermit stands well behind them.

"Yield the wench, or be slain by the Spartoi!"

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:22 pm
by SunlessNick

"I am not your slave!" screams Eliza. If one of the skeletons approaches her, she'll grab at it and try to tear it apart.

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:10 pm
by jp1885

“Listen to yon girl!” Lepus hollers. “Thou shalt not enslave her again! Go back to thy solitary life Longbones and trouble us no more, lest I thrash thee!”

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry takes aim with his pistol at one of the Spartoi and brandishes his cane with his other hand. "Would that William had not left yet," he says, "though swords will be less effective against them. We need to use blunt weapons. Ivan, use your sword cane as a club instead of drawing the blade. We shall smash them to pieces!"

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The adventurers attack first. Each DEX reduced by 2 due to skeleton's armor class of 2. Eliza = 16, Lepus = 13, Doctor North = 7 (with effect of meteor), Ivan = 7[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice][dice]2[/dice]I kept forgetting the correct number of dice, but the rolls are legitimate.
Perhaps it is her natural rage at the one who formerly held her in thrall, but it is Eliza who first strikes at the enemy. The others, perhaps startled by the appearance of walking skeletons, pause just long enough for the creatures to avoid their blows.
Spoiler:
damage; because of Eliza's extreme strength, I'll give a damage bonus of 2[dice]3[/dice]6
Smashing into the skeleton's skull with her fists, Eliza manages to completely destroy the bony sphere. The rest of the skeleton collapses to the ground.
Spoiler:
four skeleton attacks, random targets as above[dice]4[/dice]each has dex of 10[dice]5[/dice]

Ignore that. My mistake.[dice]7[/dice]
The quartet of monsters remaining attack with the precision of soldiers, each one pursuing a single target, but only one manages to strike its target; to wit, that aimed at Lepus.
Spoiler:
damage[dice]6[/dice]

Let me redo the damage since I messed up. I'll apply the lower one.[dice]8[/dice]

No change. Sorry, Lepus.
The bronze sword of the creature proven to be as dangerous as one of steel.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:40 pm
by jp1885

Hissing with pain, Lepus staggers backwards, muttering the incantation to summon his unseen servant as he does so.

Commanding it to seize the sword off the skeleton who attacked him, he launches himself against the bony creature.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:29 pm
by SunlessNick

Compelled by her rage, Eliza strikes at the next nearest of the skeletons, presumably the one that attacked her. Should she succeed in destroying it, her former captor himself will be the next target of her wrath.

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

His pistol discharged, Henry swings his cane at the skeleton attacking him.
OOC,You rolled 1d6 for the attack rolls against us instead of 1d20, so naturally all of the results were less than 10. Chances are some of those attacks will miss.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,You rolled 1d6 for the attack rolls against us instead of 1d20, so naturally all of the results were less than 10. Chances are some of those attacks will miss.
Spoiler:
Yikes! Let me go back and correct that. Thanks for catching that.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Hissing with pain, Lepus staggers backwards, muttering the incantation to summon his unseen servant as he does so.

Commanding it to seize the sword off the skeleton who attacked him, he launches himself against the bony creature.
Spoiler:
Attack above edited to correct my error, but you still got hit. Let's see if the invisible servant can grab the sword. dex 9[dice]0[/dice] Your attack, dex 13[dice]1[/dice]
The invisible servant fails to take hold of the weapon, but distracts the skeleton sufficiently to allow Lepus to successfully strike at it.
Spoiler:
damage[dice]2[/dice]
Smashing at its ribcage, exposed during the struggle with the unseen servant, Lepus reduces the creature to a pile of jumbled bones.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Compelled by her rage, Eliza strikes at the next nearest of the skeletons, presumably the one that attacked her. Should she succeed in destroying it, her former captor himself will be the next target of her wrath.
Spoiler:
DEX 16[dice]0[/dice]
Blinded by fury, Eliza thrashes at the monster without effect.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Spoiler:
Attack above edited to correct my error. You and Ivan attack again with dex 7 -- I messed up the die roll during editing somehow, but you were successful[dice]0[/dice]damage
Doctor North smashes his cane into the creature's skull, causing it to roll across the ground as if this were no more than a game of paille-maille, and rendering the being no more than a pile of bones.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
one last skeleton attack. target[dice]0[/dice]dex 10[dice]1[/dice]damage[dice]2[/dice]
Perhaps because the only defender who has suffered any wounds is Lepus, the sole remaining skeleton warrior presses his attack upon him, landing another blow, although with no so great an effect as before.

Seeing that the tide of battle has turned against his arcane troops, the hermit makes haste to retreat, running off in the direction of the moors.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:57 am
by jp1885

Lepus again staggers under the blow, bidding his unseen servant to grab the skeleton’s legs (in the manner of, some decades hence, one might describe as a rugby tackle).

He glared at the retreating back of the ultimate cause of his injuries and mutters a dark curse.
OOC,If possible, Lepus will curse the hermit with the ‘fame’ spell.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:27 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza continues attacking the skeletons.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"I dub thee Napoleon Bones-apart," says Henry as he smashes the skeleton. Then he tries to outflank the skeleton fighting Eliza to likewise dispatch it - or at least distract it.
OOC,You're welcome. That was a much better outcome!

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:27 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus again staggers under the blow, bidding his unseen servant to grab the skeleton’s legs (in the manner of, some decades hence, one might describe as a rugby tackle).

He glared at the retreating back of the ultimate cause of his injuries and mutters a dark curse.
OOC,If possible, Lepus will curse the hermit with the ‘fame’ spell.
Spoiler:
servant's dex = 9[dice]0[/dice]
A loud thump is heard as the invisible servant, seemingly unused to the rougher forms of outdoor sport, lands upon the ground, without grasping the skeleton. A few muttered curses emerge from the empty air.
Spoiler:
Sure, we'll count the Fame spell as your gypsy curse. The target has a chance to avoid it, based on wis = 9[dice]1[/dice]He avoids it, so we'll say you still have the chance to apply another curse at some time in the future.
The malediction wished upon the fleeing figure does not seem to have any effect upon his fevered flight. By this time, the family and guests have gathered near the door of the manor home, much alarmed at the to-do occurring outside.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Eliza continues attacking the skeletons.
Spoiler:
dex 16[dice]0[/dice]damage[dice]1[/dice]
Eliza manages to pull off one of the skeleton's arms and hurl it high into the air. This would be a most debilitating wound for an ordinary mortal, but such handicap does not seem to effect the monster's ability to wield a sword, although it drops the shield to the ground.
Spoiler:
I'll remove its armor advantage, although I don't think it will be around much longer anyway.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"I dub thee Napoleon Bones-apart," says Henry as he smashes the skeleton. Then he tries to outflank the skeleton fighting Eliza to likewise dispatch it - or at least distract it.
OOC,You're welcome. That was a much better outcome!
Spoiler:
dex back to 9 for you and ivan[dice]0[/dice]damage [dice]1[/dice]
Working together, man and master rip apart what remains of the one-armed creature until it is no more than a pile of broken bones. (Perhaps it was grim amusement on the part of both at Doctor North's witty quip that inspired them to attack with such effectiveness.)

The figure of the hermit is lost beyond the hills and trees of the estate. The bronze swords and shields remain on the ground, like some memento of the Trojan War.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza stands where she is, quivering as she slowly winds own her fury. "Thankyou for defending me Father, Lepus, Ivan," she says, rather incongruously when compared to her behaviour of moments before. "I fear my dress may be diasarranged."

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm
by jp1885

"Ah, 'twas an honour," Lepus grins, all traces of animosity towards the revenant girl forgotten. "'tis a shame my curse didn't land, else the hermit wouldn't be as such for much longer!"

He bends down to help up his servant (odd that no one else has done so; it is almost as if the fellow is invisible!)

"I am sorry for asking too much of thee Britches. Mayhap we will deal with the rogue once and for all, then you can rest for a while."

To the assembled company he bows, waving a hand towards the discarded weaponry.

"Echoes of antiquity for thy collections. Old Lepus has no need for such things, but has an eye for these seeds..."

He scours the ground for any of Longbones' seeds that have not germinated.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You are quite welcome, my dear," says Henry with a bow. He uses his Regenerator to treat Lepus's wounds. While he knows it is running low on galvanic fluid, he thinks there is still at least one use left in it before it needs to be refilled.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There do not appear to be any more of the small objects that the hermit placed into the ground, and from which these unnatural warriors emerged. This seems reasonable, as it would be most unwise not to keep a careful eye upon such things, lest they be wasted.

It may be observed that the skeletons, as all bones must, eventually crumble into dust; however, this occurs at an extraordinarily rapid rate, as if centuries pass by with every heartbeat. In like manner, the swords and shields break apart into countless tiny fragments. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Once the guests have had time to recover, in body and wits, from this encounter, conversation turns to the instigator of the invasion.

"We shall have to launch an attack against this so-called hermit, before more disaster follows," Lord Highdark declares. "Gentlemen," he continues, notably disregarding Eliza, "we must have a strategy, lest his sorcery be our undoing. What say you?"

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:52 pm
by SunlessNick

"He used me most grievously," Eliza says, apparently oblivious to Lord Highdark's disregard, "and has twice now sought revenge for my rescue as if he were the wronged party. He will not desist now."

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:23 pm
by jp1885

"Aye; he will not desist 'til he has you under his thrall." Lepus says. "Even if the menfolk of the estate be gathered to march 'pon his hut and force him to leave, he would soon come back. My vexing, had it struck, would have changed his character to a less vengeful one, but such a thing cannot be uttered often."

"Mayhap he could be persuaded to abandon his folly?," he continues. "By flattery or coercion? Let us look into the character of the man, yesno? Ask of the locals about his desires and wants; look to old legends about his forebears. See how they obtained such devices and knowledge to call forth the Furies and bring back yon Spartans."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent suggestion," says Henry. He then quotes Donne. "No man is an island. Those who live nearby must know of him, and the more information we can find, the better equipped we shall be. If we can find out how he came by his powers, we may be able to determine how to neutralise them."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Much inquiry is made in the village of Lowhaven as to the nature of the hermit. From almost all who are questioned comes only the information that he has lived alone on the moors for as long as anyone can recall, his lonely existence only vouchsafed by the witness of shepherds and goatherds who happened to venture that way. At last, the adventurers meet an ancient beldam, thought by her neighbors to be nearly a century old, who claims to know more.

"Aye, 'twas many and many a year ago. I was a mere child then, when Old Longbones first came to these parts. He was old even then, as I am now. Spake a heathen tongue, nowt a bit o' sense to it. Weren't much later that he learned to talk like ordinary folks, tho. Earned his bread a-tellin' stories. Oh, most wondrous stories they was, wars and sea voyages and monsters and such. Then off he went, without a 'good day' to any, and been's there ever since. Said his name, it seems, fore we all knew him as Old Longbones. What was now. Not Timothy, no, though like to that, it seems."

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:52 am
by jp1885

Tithonus, mayhap?” asks Lepus, searching the dusty corners of his memory for any stories of human immortals from Greek legend.

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Oh, aye, was some such heathenish name as that. Knew you him, then?"

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:17 pm
by jp1885

“Only in tales old Lepus heard long ago,” says the wanderer. “‘tis said he was sweet in the goddess Eos. ‘twas granted immortality so they could be together, but did not think to grant everlasting youth. So yon fellow lives forever, always ageing.”

Lepus laughs.

“No wonder he be so ill-tempered!”

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:17 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza's inclination is simply to kill the hermit, so that he can be no threat to anyone - but, apparent as it is that such a plan does not seem to be the preference of those two who are her touchstones for humanity, she refrains from giving voice to it.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"What else do you know of him?" asks Henry. "We cannot restore his youth, but there may be a way to remove the curse of immortality, thus rendering him mortal."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Within the many books relating to Hellenic mythology within Lord Highdark's eccentric and haphazard library, there are some which suggest that the Tithonus of legend was transformed into a locust, or some such insect; which does not appear to have happened to the hermit, unless this metamorphosis were somehow reversed. In either case, it remains to be determined in what manner to approach said miscreant; or, indeed, if he still occupies the same modest hut as before, or has taken himself to some other place, in preparation for defense.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:09 pm
by jp1885

"Mayhap we can summon the goddess Eos from her slumber," Lepus suggests in all seriousness when the party reconvenes (perhaps the hedge wizard knows something about the summoning of the gods of antiquity?)

"'twould also be wise to scout the hermit's abode. If he still dwells within then our battleground is known. If not, then we might find something of use discarded therein."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:36 pm
by SunlessNick

"How would this goddess aid us?" asks Eliza, uncertain of Lepus's intent. "I agree," she says of the hut, "and if is not there, we can deny him its refuge for later."

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:54 pm
by jp1885

Lepus shrugs. “She could take her lover back to Olympus or relieve him of the burden of immortality, yesno?”

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:33 pm
by SunlessNick

"They are lovers? I understand now."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry is curious how Eliza knows of such things, though he says nothing on the subject. Perhaps memories of her former life are resurfacing. "Agreed as well," he says. "Let us waste no time in setting out."

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Investigation of the hermit's hut reveals that the goats, chickens, and pigs have been allowed to run free. Given the likewise abandoned crops, and the richness in flora of the surrounding moor, this has not proven to be much of a burden to them. Being fully domesticated, they show no inclination to leave the immediate area.

The interior of the hut is something of a shambles, particularly in contrast to its appearance when first seen. Scattered about are ordinary household objects, as if someone were in haste to secure those items of most importance.

If there be a way to engage the attention of Eos, as suggested by Lepus, the manner in which this might be accomplished is not immediately evident, given that interaction with deities lies somewhat outside the field of hedge magic.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:14 pm
by SunlessNick

Having spent some time in the hut, even if not in her right mind, Eliza tries to picture the scattered objects in their places and reason out what may be missing.

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:41 pm
by jp1885

Lepus pokes around the hut for anything of interest.

“I know not how to invoke the goddess,” he says conversationally. “Though mayhap calling for her at daybreak might suffice; she being the goddess of dawn, yesno?”

Once he has finished searching, he will mooch outside, looking for tracks.

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose it is worth a try," says Henry.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Having spent some time in the hut, even if not in her right mind, Eliza tries to picture the scattered objects in their places and reason out what may be missing.
Spoiler:
int = 9[dice]0[/dice]
If there is order to this chaos, Eliza is unable to determine what it might be.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Lepus pokes around the hut for anything of interest.
]
Spoiler:
wis = 18[dice]0[/dice]
Hidden in a tall clay jar with two handles and a narrow neck are several small bronze coins, evidently of great age.
“I know not how to invoke the goddess,” he says conversationally. “Though mayhap calling for her at daybreak might suffice; she being the goddess of dawn, yesno?”

Once he has finished searching, he will mooch outside, looking for tracks.
Spoiler:
tracking requires wis - 10 = 8, but + 2 for infrequently traveled area = 10[dice]1[/dice]
The hermit, in apparent haste, made no attempt to conceal his movements. By following the disturbed flora of the moors, it is apparent that he first made stop at the ruins of Duncan's Cairn, then, from thence, proceeded to the south side of the Highdark estate.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "I suppose it is worth a try," says Henry.
There remains the question of what type of ceremony might prove pleasing to the alleged deity. There is time to consider the question, as the otherwise pleasant gathering at Highdark Hall interrupted in so frightful a manner, it is now late in the afternoon.

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:17 pm
by jp1885

“I have found the knave’s trail,” announces Lepus.

“Though it grows dark, shall us rush to the attack or stay our hands? Mayhap there be a classical scholar among the assembled guests who might advise us,” he muses, idly inspecting the coins as he does so.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:22 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza visibly restrains herself from rushing after the hermit there and then - instead she says, "We dealt with his previous attack, and that was when preparation and surprise were on his side."

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"We dealt with it, yes," says Henry, "but he escaped. We need to make sure he doesn't do that again. I think we may want to talk to a scholar and find a way to contact the goddess first. If she can get through to him, he will not flee."

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is deemed a wise idea for all to get a good night's rest before undertaking any further action. The other guests having taken their leave, no doubt with many a tale to tell, the manor home is, for the nonce, at peace.

Not so for all who reside therein. For, as is related during a light breaking of fast, Lady Highdark admits to enduring a series of disturbing dreams, the exact nature of which is not fit for open discussion. No others report such an experience, save Harold, the eldest son of the Altumbers. (Said person, by the by, also making inquiry as to under what circumstances Eliza would be willing to pose for portraiture, the Highdark heir fancying himself something of an artist.)

Arrangements are made to secure an interview with a learned antiquary, cognizant of Attic rituals. That personage residing at some distance from the estate, sending message to him and then awaiting his arrival requires a full day of patience, during which the adventurers may engage in such action as they please.

Upon examination of the old coins, they prove to be that small denomination known as obols, and show signs of having been exposed to water for an extended period.

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:53 pm
by SunlessNick

"I would be delighted to pose for you," Eliza says to Harold. "Perhaps while we await the scholarly gentleman, if that is sufficient time?"

In private she asks Dr North and Lepus whether they think the hermit could be responsible for these dreams - "though I do not know why he should afflict the family and not us."

Posted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:29 pm
by jp1885

Having examined the coins, Lepus carefully pockets them, promising to return them to Charon should he ever encounter the ferryman.

His grubby ears pick up at the mention of dreams.

"Didst thy father also suffer from such things my lord?" he asks Lord Highdark. "Mayhap such a thing passes from father to son? Oh! I have heard tell that often a mesmerist can reveal long forgotten dreams."

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"He may be responsible," says Henry, "though with all the strange occurrences around here, it could have some other source. I could attempt the technique of mesmerism to help someone recall forgotten dreams, if the subject is willing."

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:19 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Withdrawing with Eliza into a room which currently serves as an artist's studio, Harold rummages through a mare's nest of curious objects, discarding many to one side without much care for order, and selecting those few he deems appropriate. After some time engaged in this activity, he offers these to his chosen model. These prove to be a stuffed owl, an olive branch bearing a few fruits (shriveled with age, it seems), a shield covered with the skin of a hairy animal of some sort, and a wooden spear tipped with a bronze head.

"I shall entitle this work Athena Parthenos," he declaims.

Moving to a large chest in one corner of the room, he reaches inside, throwing out all manner of fanciful garb, until he discovers what appears to be a long, loose, sleeveless garment of simple design, ivory in color.

"Array yourself. I shall return after sufficient time has passed to allow you to be entirely pleased with your appearance," he remarks, indicating a tall mirror standing near his easel and paints. He leaves the room with a bow.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Lady Highdark agrees to be mesmerized, but Harold prefers not to undergo the procedure.

Doctor North induces a trance through the alignment of her flows of animal magnetism, this procedure involving regular movements of his hands over her person. Once in this state, she speaks in a voice lower than is her norm.

"Cotytto! Mistress of wild places! I come to thee! I come!"

With this pronouncement, she falls into unconsciousness, but is easily roused. Questioned as to the reason for her outburst, she denies memory, but is observed to be blushing, a phenomenon not often associated with that worldly and sophisticated lady.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Having examined the coins, Lepus carefully pockets them, promising to return them to Charon should he ever encounter the ferryman.

His grubby ears pick up at the mention of dreams.

"Didst thy father also suffer from such things my lord?" he asks Lord Highdark. "Mayhap such a thing passes from father to son? Oh! I have heard tell that often a mesmerist can reveal long forgotten dreams."
All present, save for Harold and Lady Highdark, deny being subject to nightmares, save on rare occasions, and are not familiar with such being common among their ancestors.

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:26 pm
by jp1885
OOC:   Argh, I misread the above and thought it was Lord, not Lady Highdark who had the dreams.  
Lepus ponders the information elicited. He draws Dr. North aside.

“Mayhap the dreams are sent to those of a passionate disposition? The young heir be a man of strong feelings and temperament and the mistress of the house... mayhap our old soldier friend would attest to her vices... Be there a temple to Cotytto in the grounds? She be a goddess of carnal passion, yesno?”

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"And one goddess may very well be able to reach out to another," says Henry. "I know not if there is a temple to her here, but we can certainly find out."

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:06 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza suspects the dress covers far less of her body than it is intended to, although some of the paintings around the house suggest to her that this may not be a concern when it comes to art. She dons it as best she can and finds a seat for herself, trying to place one foot higher than the other, so the skirt falls from one thigh to the other. She chooses to hold the spear upright in one hand, lean the shield against her leg, cradle the owl in the crook of her other arm, and place the olive branch in her lap. She then calls Harold back to see if he is satisfied with the result.

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Discrete inquiry of Lord Highdark elicits the information that, indeed, there is a structure, built to the specifications of an ancestor of that gentleman, the draughtman's sketches for which bears the title A Temple, Dedicated To Cotytto. Lord Highdark not being cognizant of the name, does not display much interest in this subject.

"A mere folly, I confess, simple in structure and bereft of any decoration, consisting merely of a number of Doric columns surmounted by a dome. I am afraid it has fallen into disrepair over the years. No one here has visited for many a year, the place being devoid of interest. If it excites your curiosity, it is located not far from the tennis court -- a more entertaining place, by far! -- and the rose garden. A spiral path, winding up a gentle slope, leads from the floral display to the temple. I suppose the walk might function as a constitutional, even if the destination be not worth the journey."

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Perfect!" exclaims Harold. "Do not move! I must capture this pose."

With sketchbook and pencils he begins work on a preliminary design for the painting. The process is a slow and lengthy one, requiring much patience on the part of the model, whose limbs grow weary with the effort of remaining motionless. (It is a paradox of Nature that inactivity may demand as high a price as effort.)

After much time has passed, Harold puts down his work.

"Enough for today. Shall we say again, this same time, on the morrow? With good luck, the work may completed with, say, a fortnight. Or two."

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:39 pm
by jp1885

"I shall take a walk to yon temple then," announces Lepus. "And see what's to be seen, yesno?"

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 am
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Enough for today. Shall we say again, this same time, on the morrow? With good luck, the work may completed with, say, a fortnight. Or two."

"So long?" Eliza said before catching herself. "Forgive me. No one has painted me before. I should be happy to resume tomorrow."

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:26 am
by Mr. Handy

"I would like to accompany you," Henry says to Lepus.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The initial session with Harold done for the day, Eliza is free to accompany her companions in their journey to the temple if she so desires. It is notable that divesting herself of all the objects with which she was posing requires a fair amount of time, not to mention changing her raiment, and that this procedure, repeated day after day, is likely to prove tedious.

The path from the manor home passes by the tennis court, where Julia and Juno are engaged in a game that does not appear to obey any of the rules of that royal sport, but rather consists of throwing the ball back and forth, hurling it to great distances with the racquets, and so forth. Upon seeing the adventurers walk by, they giggle and whisper together. One of them -- who can say which one? -- hurls the ball, a solid object composed of heavy strips of wool surrounding a tightly wrapped core of the same material, the whole surrounded by lighter cloth, tied upon the sphere with many strings, at the approaching trio.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]target: Lepus, North, Eliza[dice]1[/dice] No real damage, but . . .
The ball strikes Lepus upon the forehead, resulting in sudden pain, if no actual harm. Having been successful in this artillery attack, the twins laugh and dance about merrily.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:02 pm
by jp1885

Lepus yowls in surprise as the ball bounces off his head. Snarling, he turns to unleash a torrent of abuse on the assailant, but, seeing that the young twins are responsible, his expression softens.

“Little rapscallions!” he chuckles. “Throwing away a perfectly good apple!”

He pretends to take a bite out of the ball, palming it into his pocket and substituting it for a somewhat bruised apple.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:14 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza looks between Lepus and the twins, puzzled by Lepus's seeming equanimity in the face of this assault, and unsure how to act.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Your grasp of physics is excellent!" calls Henry to the twins. "That was a fine trajectory."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Evidently pleased that their prank has not elicited the expected scolding, the two girls approach with wide smiles.

"Do another trick, funny man," one says to Lepus.

"Yes, and we want the ogre lady to play with us," the other remarks. This one -- is it Juno or Julia? -- directing her attention to Doctor North, continues "Mother makes us take physics when we are wicked, but what is jec-tor-ree?"

To this remark, the first one -- is it Julia or Juno? -- makes a face of disgust and says "We hate nasty physics."

"Yes, so we must not tell you of our wicked dream." Realizing that her tongue has acted ahead of her brain, this one covers her mouth with her hands, while the other one pokes her and makes shushing sounds.

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:46 pm
by SunlessNick

"Ogres are supposed to like wicked things," says Eliza, "so it must be all right to tell me."

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:37 pm
by jp1885

“Bad dreams are made better when shared, yesno?” says Lepus. “Mayhap an exchange: a trick for a dream?”

If the twins agree to tell the assembled party about their dreams, he will perform some feats of legerdemain for their entertainment.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"By physics I don't mean medicine," says Henry. "I mean the good kind of physics: the science of how the world and the things in it work. Trajectory means the course that a projectile, such as the object you threw, takes as it moves through the air. You hit your mark, so you were effectively using physics whether you were conscious of it or not."

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Having thus been tempted to share their secret through the promise of a bribe, the twins narrate their dream, which seems to have been experienced by both in exactly the same way.

"There were ever so many people," one begins.

"Yes, and they were dancing, thus," continues the other, demonstrating by jumping wildly about, in a feigned state of extreme agitation. She is soon joined by her sister. The two cease after a moment, out of breath.

After recovering from this exertion, one of them -- they have been moving about so rapidly, in such complicated patterns, that one cannot be sure if this is the first one or the second one -- goes on.

"And they had their arms wrapped around each other tightly, as if they would squeeze each other to death."

"And they were kissing," adds the other, sending the pair into a fit of giggles.

Whilst still laughing hysterically, red-faced and gasping, they are able to go on, speaking together, one word at a time, the interval between each filled with heavy breaths, "And. They. Had. No. Clothes."

This is so funny that they both fall to the ground and roll about, staining their dresses on the grass, as no doubt often occurs.

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:17 pm
by jp1885

Raising a crusty eyebrow, Lepus exchanges glances with his companions.

“Pssht! Mayhap Cotytto is calling to those from the lady of the house’s bloodline, yesno? ‘tis odd that this should happen now... coincidence that yon hermit wishes us ill?”

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 am
by SunlessNick

Despite having earlier shown semblance of familiarity with the concept of lovers, Eliza seems more perplexed by this account than anything else. "If this is some sort of attack, it is a very strange one, yesno? If it affects those of Lady Highdark's blood, should one of us as Georgia about it?"

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is a thought," says Henry. "If any of us is to do it, it should be you, my dear. She would be more likely to speak of such dreams to another lady. I'm not sure that our enemy is behind the dreams, yet neither do I think it a coincidence. Perhaps Cotytto is causing the dreams herself, in order to make contact."

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:02 am
by SunlessNick

"I think she is afraid of me," replies Eliza to the suggestion that she be the one to speak to Georgia.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Well, I could try speaking to her," says Henry. "If she cannot remember her dreams, and if she is willing, I can try mesmerism again."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Without revealing the exact reason for his request, Doctor North is able to persuade Georgina to enter the mesmeric state. (Such activities are not unknown as a source of amusement in society, and thus there is no need to explain his true motive.)

Whilst under the influence of animal magnetism, Georgina relates her most recent dreams; the which, as is true of many of those under the spell of Morpheus, are lost to memory as soon as one arises.

"I was there with my dear husband, with my precious babe in my arms," she relates, in a low, soft voice. "We strolled through fields of sweet-smelling flowers. Larks and doves alit upon my outstretched hand, and sang to me sweetly. Lambs frolicked at our feet, and even wild deer came to me, and offered their heads to be stroked, like gentle dogs."

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:46 pm
by SunlessNick

"Not at all like that of the twins, then," remarks Eliza in a tone rather more dry than usual.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, but it is a dream about nature," says Henry. "Perhaps it does have to do with the goddess."

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This experiment in mesmerism having been performed, with results, perhaps, raising more questions than have been answered, Harold takes the opportunity, now that the adventurers have returned to the manor home, to request another sitting by Eliza. As this is arranged, another idea springs into his head.

"A background of roses would be a fine addition to my painting. If you would care to gather some dozen or so, while I prepare my paints and brushes?"

As the rose garden lies near the Temple of Cotytto, this might be a chance, as they say, to strike at a brace of birds with a single stone.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:18 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I know just where we might find some," says Henry.

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:23 pm
by jp1885

"Hmm, mayhap the young mistress' innocent nature be enough to trump any wanton desires," Lepus muses. "Let us gather roses near the temple, perchance to converse with yon goddess."

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:45 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The rose garden proves to offer a wide variety of shades of blossoms, from deep red to pure white to bright yellow to gentle pink to vivid orange. It requires judgement to decide what combination of colors would best be suited for the desired background of the painting.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza favours red and white roses, saying she thinks they will look better with the colours already present in the scene. She seems to be quite taken with the act of picking them, closely examining how the stems come apart or emerge from the ground. "How like are they to the working of our own bodies?" she asks.

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:30 pm
by jp1885

"Hm, I know not," admits Lepus. "Oft a young swain will try to win the heart of their ladyfriend with a rose; by all accounts."

The limit of knowledge on such matters exhausted, he snips off a yellow rose for himself (should it be required to attract the goddess of the dawn).

Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent selection," says Henry. "Yes, it is fascinating to see how vastly different forms of life have so much in common. Plants are different in many ways. They do not eat food as we do, but they absorb sunlight as well as nutrients from the soil and water. It was Robert Hooke who discovered that they are composed of cells, tiny chambers too small to be seen without a microscope. Our own bodies also consist of cells, though plant cells are surrounded by walls and are hardier than our own."

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The adventurers return the blossoms to Harold's studio, and another long and exhausting session of posing begins for Eliza.
Eliza,After returning to the manor home with the roses, you are overcome with a pure and innocent affection for Harold, despite the uncomfortable ordeal of posing.
Lepus,You are filled with a sense of merriment when you return to the studio, almost giddiness.

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:11 pm
by jp1885

Lepus giggles and capers more than usual as he brings the rose to the studio.

“Hehehe, paint yon girl well young master!” he gurns at Harold. “So that she be immortalised!”

“Now, do the rest of us visit the temple this night?”

Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:33 pm
by SunlessNick

"Thankyou again," Eliza says to Harold after the new sitting. "There are few who look on me as they would a normal girl. I find it a great solace to be your subject."

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed, I would like to see the temple," says Henry.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Once day is done, and the adventurers have restored themselves in preparation for the evening's activities, they make their way to the temple. No doubt they carry lanterns, but the presence of many fireflies and bright moonlight make this hardly necessary.

The temple is simple in design, as Lord Highdark has remarked, consisting of thirteen Doric columns supporting a circular dome. The trail leading up to the temple, which is located at the top of as slight rise, winds widdershins in a tight spiral. Within the temple there is little to be found, save a scattering of leaves and twigs, stirred by a gentle wind. At the very top of the dome is a small chole, through which one can study the night sky, if there be some celestial body to be observed.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:42 pm
by jp1885

Lepus moves to a position under the hole, shuffling about until he can line up a random star. In the same manner as he has conversed with several strange entities around the estate, he opens up his senses.

"Oh denizen of the temple, may we converse with thee?" he enquires.

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:07 pm
by SunlessNick

"Father, there is something I do not understand," Eliza says quietly to Dr North while Lepus works. "In my instruction, you speak of there being only one god. Yet the title of god and goddess is granted to others too, like the beneficiary of this temple. Does god bear more than one meaning?"

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Ah, an excellent question, Eliza," replies Henry. "There is in fact only one true God, with a capital G, who created all things. Yet there are other things worshipped by man that are called gods and goddesses, with a lowercase g. Some of these beings may not be real, but the inventions of man. Others may be supernatural entities that may have some power of their own, though nothing to compare with the power of God, who has commanded that we have no other gods before Him, for He is a jealous God."

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A softly glowing beam of light pours through the opening in the dome, as if the full moon happened to appear in all her glory directly above it, although this is of course not the case. Whatever the source of said light, it vanishes nearly before it is glimpsed.

In the direction of the fine grove of white birches that lies at no great distance from the temple comes the sound of raucous merrymaking; laughter, shouts, songs, the blaring of pipes, and the booming of drums. The sound grows louder. By the graceful swaying of the birches, it may be deduced that a party of revelers approaches.

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:58 pm
by jp1885

“Be careful what thou sayest,” warns Lepus, peering ahead as he tries to make out the approaching revellers. “If it be the goddess who approaches then she may not take kindly to being called a false deity...”

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm
by SunlessNick

Mindful of Lepus's warning, Eliza swallows further questioning.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let us be respectful," says Henry, turning to greet the approaching revelers.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The revelers prove to be a ill-dressed lot, as judged from a distance. The men appear to be naked from the waist up, and wear only what appear to be thick woolen breeches below. The women are arrayed in a variety of gossamer veils of pastel shade, wrapped about them in such manner as to allow the free movement of their limbs. This evidenced by the wild dancing in which all engage, leaping to and fro with great abandon. Oft the men chase after the women, who scurry away with shrieks that speak more of delight than fear, these hunts ending with successful captures, followed by shameless embraces. There is much drinking from wineskins and devouring of ripe fruit, and almost as much spilling of same.

As they draw nearer, some of the revelers make welcoming gestures to the adventurers, as if inviting them to join them.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:14 pm
by jp1885

Studying the approaching party, Lepus grunts in recognition.

“Nymphs and Satyrs, yesno? We should be careful, lest we be carried away to cavort forever. But, to stand still and staid will get us nowhere, so let us show willing for the nonce.”

Grinning and gurning, he fishes for his tin whistle. Once located he plays along to the revellers’ music, scampering and capering in time.

Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:01 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza tries to imitate the women's dancing, to the extent that her gown does not hamper her.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry dances as well, being careful not to lose himself in the music. He knows full well its power. His wife's singing is enough to overwhelm him without being supernatural in any way.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Let's see how the group is impressed by your dancing. DEX rolls. I believe Doctor North = 11, Lepus = 15, Eliza = 180
The revelers welcome the three new arrivals into the dance, clapping their hands in time to a wild rhythm. The adventurers manage to keep step, even as the music grows more and more frenzied. The group slowly, with many changes in direction, makes its way under the dome of the temple. There, although it would hardly seem possible, the dancers become even more excited. Spittle runs from their mouths, and their cries are more like those of animals than of persons. Many rend their garments, and those of others. Wine and fruit spills upon the floor of the temple and is stomped upon by bare feet, careless of where they step. Some fall to the ground, others trip over them, and both rise again, heedless of injury. At the height of this mania, the interior of the temple suddenly grows dim, as if heavy clouds have passed overhead, although the night has been exceptionally clear thus far. As if this were a signal, the dancers cease their movements and their cries, standing still and raising their arms high in supplication. They whisper together, almost as one voice.

"The sacrifice. The sacrifice."

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:40 pm
by jp1885

Lepus steps in front of his friends.

"What be thy sacrifice?" he chants.

Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:41 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza pauses in the dance, unsure what to do next, and wary of the word sacrifice.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry watches warily, in case the revelers decide to try to sacrifice them.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus steps in front of his friends.

"What be thy sacrifice?" he chants.
As the closest one to the crowd of revelers, Lepus is he who draws their attention. They approach, eyes glaring and mouths wide open, their hands clutching at him.
Spoiler:
For the record, I'm treating this as a Mob. DEX = 90Damage1
In a frenzy of madness, they claw at the flesh of their intended victim with nails and teeth, more like predatory animals than rational souls. Blood flows from multiple wounds in the body of the hedge wizard, and his clothing is ripped in many places.

Simultaneously with attack, a figure emerges, apparently hidden behind one of the temple's columns until the moment. It is that of the hermit.

"Shall I regain what is mine," he says, barely audible over the shrieks of the lunatics, "or shall Cotytto taste of mortal flesh tonight?"

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:30 pm
by jp1885

Ravaged and bleeding, Lepus staggers back from the attack.

Cotytto! Would thou have this poor fool as a sacrifice, or the immortal flesh of a consort of the gods?” he yells.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She is not yours!" says Henry, drawing his pistol while Ivan readies his sword.

Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:49 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza punches and claws at the revellers, trying to drive them away from Lepus. "If you would call me yours," she snarls to the hermit, "Do not hide behind tricks and beings of myth. Come and claim me by your own hand, if you dare."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Driven back as much by the cry of their intended victim as by the attacks of his defenders, the mob of worshippers withdraws from the center of the temple, where they await events to come, many licking the blood from their fingers.
Spoiler:
I suppose the appeal to Cotytto can be based on CHA, without the penalties for Bad Reputation and all that, so CHA = 120
A chill wind blasts through the temple, seeming to come from all directions at once, stirring leaves from autumns past throughout the structure, whipping at the sheer veils of the female revelers, and seeming to pull at the very marrow in one's bones. False moonbeam once more pours forth from the opening of the dome, drawing the hermit to it as moth to candle. Then, as if he be no more than a spark driven from wood by the levitating power of flame, the selfsame figure is drawn up into the pale ivory light, shimmers and melts away, as the imitative lunar ray itself fades into darkness. Those gathered to prey homage to the mistress of wildness collapse into a deep slumber, as innocent as that of a babe.

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza seems rather taken aback at this turn of events. "I suppose that is that."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:14 pm
by jp1885

"Aye, 'tis how it appears," says Lepus. Breathing heavily, he leans against a pillar for support.

"Just deserts for a scoundrel who has caused such pain and misery, yesno? Shall leave yonder revellers to their slumber? Mayhap the dreams will abate now the goddess is fed."

He winces in pain.

"On the morrow, the lord of the manor should be persuaded to tear down this folly and mayhap raise a temple in honour of the dawn in it's stead."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:29 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that ended about as well as we could have hoped," says Henry. "Let me see to your injuries."

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:42 pm
by SunlessNick

"And once more I must thank you for risking yourself in my defence," adds Eliza. She watches her father's efforts with curiosity.

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 pm
by jp1885

"Pssht! 'twas what any decent folk would do; old Lepus has never cared for slavery in any form," replies the wanderer as he submits to Henry's ministrations. "'tis a wonder, is it not, that yon family has survived for so long, considering the dangers that lurk in the Highdark estate!"

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is a wonder indeed," says Henry. "Perhaps some places, like this one, are centres of supernatural activity. It may have something to do with ley lines, though I'm hardly an expert on those. There may be some connection to magnetic phenomena, however. Remember the meteorite."

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
During this discussion of natural and unnatural philosophy, the sleeping revelers awaken, glancing about in apparent confusion.
Spoiler:
There is an octad of them, evenly divided between the sexes. The object of their frenzied veneration, it seems, no longer about, they stand and direct their gaze at the adventurers with many a gesture of appeal, as if expecting those present to serve as governors.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:38 pm
by jp1885

Having almost been torn to shreds by these people mere moments ago, Lepus holds his tongue. He steps back, studying them warily: are they really fauns and dryads as he first suspected, or merely human beings like himself?

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza saw them attack Lepus too, and their confusion stokes her anger. "What?" she demands simply and harshly.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"You are free now," Henry says to the former revelers. "Do you understand what it means to be free? Would you like me to explain it?"

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Having almost been torn to shreds by these people mere moments ago, Lepus holds his tongue. He steps back, studying them warily: are they really fauns and dryads as he first suspected, or merely human beings like himself?
Close examination reveals that they are, in physical form at least, ordinary women and men, albeit arrayed in archaic and scandalous fashion.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Eliza saw them attack Lepus too, and their confusion stokes her anger. "What?" she demands simply and harshly.
Thus addressed in so strong a manner, they fall to their knees in abject fashion before Eliza, the women somewhat closer to her than the men. The scene might be one inscribed upon an antique urn, the women raising their arms high, the men lowering their heads to the ground.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "You are free now," Henry says to the former revelers. "Do you understand what it means to be free? Would you like me to explain it?"
This statement brings only many a confused look from those assembled.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:39 pm
by jp1885

“From whence did thee come?” Lepus asks the supplicants. “Where be thy homes?”

The wanderer asks this in several languages (or as best an approximation of such as he can manage), unsure if those cringing before them can speak English.

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:33 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza's anger is quickly replaced with confusion and some embarassment (perhaps an observer might conclude she has in some spiritual wise inherited the volatile humours of Miss Ravenscroft).

"There is no need to bow," she says.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let me explain the concept of freedom to you," says Henry. "Freedom is the natural state of man. It is only when other men act that men can lose their freedom. Freedom is the right to do as you please, within reason. Nobody is completely free, but we are still largely so. There are laws that must be obeyed. Do not murder and do not steal are two examples. We have a king, King George, who rules this land. We have a Parliament, which makes laws. Such things are necessary to ensure that we live in peace. But within those constraints, it is our own choice what we do. What is it that you wish?"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
“From whence did thee come?” Lepus asks the supplicants. “Where be thy homes?”

The wanderer asks this in several languages (or as best an approximation of such as he can manage), unsure if those cringing before them can speak English.
There is much confusion among the eight. After some whispering amongst themselves, one of the women points to herself, then the others, and says "Hellas. Attike. Athenai."

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Eliza's anger is quickly replaced with confusion and some embarassment (perhaps an observer might conclude she has in some spiritual wise inherited the volatile humours of Miss Ravenscroft).

"There is no need to bow," she says.
The same woman who spoke to Lepus now addresses her attention to Eliza. "Athene Pallas!"

This statement causes the men to avert their eyes, and the women to sing in chorus.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "Let me explain the concept of freedom to you," says Henry. "Freedom is the natural state of man. It is only when other men act that men can lose their freedom. Freedom is the right to do as you please, within reason. Nobody is completely free, but we are still largely so. There are laws that must be obeyed. Do not murder and do not steal are two examples. We have a king, King George, who rules this land. We have a Parliament, which makes laws. Such things are necessary to ensure that we live in peace. But within those constraints, it is our own choice what we do. What is it that you wish?"
This fine speech evidently baffles the listeners. However, the same woman who spoke to the others, who seems to have picked up a few words of the King's Tongue in some unknown manner, appears to have understood at least a little of it.

"Demokratia?" She points at Eliza. "Anassa! Basileia!"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:52 pm
by jp1885

Lepus’ mottled brow creases; it’s been some years since his wandering took him to the Hellenic lands.

“It be as if their goddess has transported them from Ancient Greece, yesno? Eliza, methinks they hold you in some high regard, as if thee be a deity incarnate.”

“Old Lepus thinks it be a poor idea to ship them back to their own land; it be much changed under the Ottomans.”

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They must be from ancient Greece, Athens in particular," says Henry. "That is the cradle of democracy. They may think that Eliza is a goddess, perhaps even Athena herself. I have studied some ancient languages, including the form of Greek that would have been used in Old Athens. The tongue is used on the newly acquired Rosetta Stone and may eventually allow us to translate ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics." He addresses the people in that language to see if they understand it.
OOC,Intelligence roll (16 + 3[Gift for Languages] = 19) to know ancient Greek: 0

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:09 pm
by SunlessNick
jp1885 wrote:“It be as if their goddess has transported them from Ancient Greece, yesno? Eliza, methinks they hold you in some high regard, as if thee be a deity incarnate.”
"Harold characterised me as Athena for is portrait," says Eliza. "If this is what they believe, perhaps I can reassure them, yesno?" She lowers herself to more of an eye level with the revelers, and offers a warm smile. "The scholar you spoke with before? He must know their tongue."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Pleased to find someone who can communicate with them in a civilized manner, rather than in the barbaric tongue of this cold and misty land, the eight chatter excitedly. Cautioned to speak more slowly and clearly, and, if possible, one at a time, they manage, at last, to communicate something of their tale. In brief, while celebrating the Eleusinian Mysteries, this group of worshippers found themselves transported to this place, and driven into a sacrificial frenzy. They attribute this to the divine intervention of Athena Parthenos (indicating Eliza), judging that the patron goddess of their city-state has been incarnated into the form of a warrior maiden of imposing size and manner. Hoping that they have not offended the goddess, they await her judgment as to what should become of them.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry translates between English and Ancient Greek to explain to his friends about the Greeks. "The ideal thing to do would be to send them back to their own time and place," says Henry, "but I've no idea how to do it. It may one day be possible to invent a machine that would allow travel in time. Imagine being able to travel to the past and witness key moments in history! Or to the future, to see what wonders exist then and how our descendants are getting on! Alas, it would be the work of a lifetime, perhaps several lifetimes, to invent such a thing. Perhaps, since they arrived by supernatural means, they could return home by supernatural means."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:14 pm
by jp1885

Lepus strokes his beard, deep in thought.

“I be wary of dealing too much with the old gods, but mayhap it could be done. Otherwise they will have to learn to live as modern folk in England, yesno? Perchance they could learn alongside Eliza.”

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:30 pm
by SunlessNick

When Dr North relates what the worshippers have said, Eliza asks "Would it be better to disabuse them of their belief about me, or play to it? At least we can say I require no sacrifice from them. Especially that of my friend and saviour. But if this be their origin, what do we do with them? It cannot be right for me to possess slaves of my own, whoever they think me to be."

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"You are correct," says Henry. "You understand better than anyone here what is wrong with slavery. I would be honest with them, but this is a decision that is yours to make. Whatever you wish to say to them, I shall translate into their tongue. As to what to do with them, we must try to find a way to return them to their own time and place. It will not be easy, but if they could be brought here, there must a way to send them back. In the meantime, and if we cannot find a way to send them home in the longer term, I can educate them. They have a solid foundation to their education already, it seems."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:20 am
by SunlessNick

"I would not have them see me the way I was made to see him. Father, please tell them I am no goddess and merit no worship from them."

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry faithfully translates Eliza's statement to the Greeks.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is much excited chatter amongst the Greeks. Timidly approaching Eliza, one of the men inquires Be thou sorceress then, or Amazon? I confess, none such as thee have we known to exist, even amongst the barbarians.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 am
by jp1885

Happy that they have a means of communication in Henry, Lepus suggests that the good doctor explain the predicament to the Greeks. Perhaps they'd like to settle in this new land and time? Perhaps the antiquarian guest might like to assist in their rehabilitation?

If they wish to return to whence they came, then have they any ideas how this could be achieved?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:00 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:There is much excited chatter amongst the Greeks. Timidly approaching Eliza, one of the men inquires Be thou sorceress then, or Amazon? I confess, none such as thee have we known to exist, even amongst the barbarians.
Eliza's face falls slightly. "I do not know that there are any such as me. I was made by learning, not magic. A pair of girls call me an ogre. I do not think that is what I am either, but I like the sound of the word, and you may call me such too if it pleases you."

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:32 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry translates for Eliza and Lepus and asks the Greeks whether they would like to remain in this time and place, in which case he can teach them what they need to know, or if they would rather he and his friends try to find a way to send them home.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
-- Alas! This wild and barbaric land is far too chill for such as us. Be this the fabled, icy realm of Hyperborea, where the giants do dwell? --

The presence of Eliza would seem to lead credence to this hypothesis.

Several of the group seem to be shivering, which may have as much to do with the lightness of their attire as with the climate.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm
by jp1885

“Let us get these shivering wrenches inside, yesno?” suggests Lepus.

Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:33 pm
by SunlessNick

"Of course," Eliza agrees.

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, let us get them indoors," says Henry. He speaks to them in Greek. "We will first bring you inside where it is warmer, and then we will try to find a way to return you to your home. This land is England, on a large island in the north that is called Great Britain. The Romans called it Britannia. There is at least one giant living around here. We met him recently."

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The adventurers manage to bring the shivering group within the fire-warmed interiors of Highdark Hall, where they stare in amazement at everything around them.

-- Surely this is the palace of a king! --

Rooms are found for them, given the many empty guest rooms in the manor home. Arrangements will have to be made for supplying their victuals. Their presence creates a dilemma. Shall they be kept in hiding, risking the chance of discovery, or shall they be introduced to the Altumbers et alia in some manner?

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"This is the manor of a noble lord, Lord Highdark," Henry tells the visitors. "I too am a lord, the Earl of Dunwich. I have a castle in the east. The King's palaces are even more luxurious. I had the pleasure of visiting him in one of his palaces on at least one occasion." He confers with his friends. "I think we should introduce them to His Lordship, explaining that they are stranded travelers from Greece. I can translate for them."

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:43 am
by SunlessNick

"I do not think we can successfully keep them secret," says Eliza.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:01 pm
by jp1885

“Aye, the truth will out one way or t’other,” Lepus concurs.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:52 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Altumbers, associates, and servants are struck by the eccentric appearance of the peculiar folk, but the code of hospitality runs strong at Highdark Hall, and they are admitted, fed well (although their behavior at table leaves something to be desired) and given places to refresh themselves and beds to rest their tried bodies. Upon the morrow, their behavior starts to be of concern to the Lord and Lady. It seems that many have taken the opportunity to bathe, sans clothing, in the worried stream, and to make free with comestibles from the garden, fowl from the chicken pens, and even milk directly from the milch cows' udders.

"The ways of foreigners are not our own, to be sure," Lord Highdark observes, "but there is a limit to what I am able to abide. Cannot these -- these -- people find accommodation elsewhere, or refine their manner?"

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:13 pm
by jp1885

Aware of the consternation the visitors are calling, Lepus suggests some research into ways of getting them home. Perhaps dredging his arcane knowledge will bring something up, or perhaps some mouldering tome in the library points to a way. Failing that, maybe the twisted and faerie-addled mind of the former attic-occupant might know of a method?

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:59 pm
by SunlessNick

"The scholar with whom you spoke whilst Harold was painting me may have some insight also. At least he will be someone else they can speak with."

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"Since I speak their language and have experience teaching," says Henry, "I shall educate the guests about how to behave in what to them is the strange land in which they find themselves."

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Aware of the consternation the visitors are calling, Lepus suggests some research into ways of getting them home. Perhaps dredging his arcane knowledge will bring something up, or perhaps some mouldering tome in the library points to a way. Failing that, maybe the twisted and faerie-addled mind of the former attic-occupant might know of a method?
Spoiler:
Let's try the three ways, one at a time. Arcane Knowledge based on Int 14 + 1 = 15, when examining an occult object of some sort.0
Lepus notices that one of the women wears a bronze bracelet, upon which is carved a curious symbol; to wit, a serpent devouring its own tail. When asked its meaning (via the translator's art supplied by Doctor North), she replies that she knows not; but that the oracle warned her never to remove it.
Spoiler:
Book research INt 141
There does not seem to be any volume in Lord Highdark's eccentric library that casts light upon the mystery.

As a last resort, therefore, the visitors are introduced, in discreet fashion, to the madwoman. Recent talk of the oracle has caused them to regard her ravings with the respect due to words of wisdom. In particular, her utterance "They must go forward who would return" excites much discussion amongst the group.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
"The scholar with whom you spoke whilst Harold was painting me may have some insight also. At least he will be someone else they can speak with."
Such an interview is arranged, the gentleman in question assuming that the visitors are a troupe of actors, recreating the ways of their remote ancestors. After much conversation and no little amount of meditation, he pronounces an opinion as to how they might best see home again.

"The wine-dark sea, of course, as the blind poet has it. If these lads and lasses wouldst truly desire to exist as did their forebears, they must have a ship, and sail it through many wonders and dangers before they see home again."

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Since I speak their language and have experience teaching," says Henry, "I shall educate the guests about how to behave in what to them is the strange land in which they find themselves."
Spoiler:
Let's see how persuasive you might be. CHA = 90
This wise advice falls upon deaf ears, the visitors showing signs of impatience with their exiled state, and caring little for proprieties that are foreign to them. There is grumbling amongst the servants, who bear the heaviest burden of restoring order after their undisciplined actions.

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:21 pm
by jp1885

Lepus gurns and chews the stem of his pipe as he considers the information put to them.

"Hmmm... A sea voyage to the Hellenes mayhap? Or a journey across the Styx? Either way, I suppose we would be beholden to travel with them, yesno?"

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 pm
by SunlessNick

"You spoke of strange caves beneath the estate," says Eliza. "A place you explored before I came into existence. Might the waters there serve as this Styx?"

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that is a thought," says Henry. "They are certainly a lot closer."

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This notion being considered, there remains the decision of by what manner the watery underground domain be entered, either via the Grotto, the dark pit beneath the manor home proper, the fog-shrouded waters of the Misty Tarn, or perhaps some entryway into the Worried Stream that flows through the estate.

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 pm
by jp1885

Fingering the two ancient coins in his pocket, Lepus considers the various options to reach the river Styx.

"The way through the grotto be the most familiar, yesno? But was it not blocked by falling rock? I am loathe to go down the dark pit 'neath the house and saw nothing on the Misty Tarn save the explosive stones and the iron we had scattered about to keep the fae from them (let us not mention that greedy fellow!) Shall we consider yon Worried Stream?"

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:26 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Then let us seek out an entryway to it," says Henry. "We shall also need a boat large enough to hold all the travelers."

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:14 am
by SunlessNick

"How large are the rocks blocking the grotto? I am curious as to the the limits of my strength. Perhaps I could move them, yesno?"

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Considering the previous feats of strength performed by Eliza -- no doubt due to some enhancement of the natural flow of animal magnetic fluid -- it seems very possible indeed for the stones blocking the grotto to be set aside. This does not mean, however, that such excursion would be without hazard.

The boathouse near the Misty Tarn contains a sufficient number of small pleasure craft as to ensure accommodation for all concerned, if they be not overly fussy about the amount of room allotted to each. From the dock in that fog-bound pool, one could proceed along the Worried Stream, to see what might be found along its pathway. Such a choice would itself not be entirely free from difficulties, to be sure.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:44 pm
by jp1885

Lepus is willing to give this a try.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:56 pm
by SunlessNick

Having not been to the caves herself, Eliza will go with whatever her father and "uncle" decide.

Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I agree, let us sail down the Worried Stream," says Henry.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The small pleasure craft are able to carry four persons each, with some crowding. This allows the unexpected guests to divide themselves between two, whilst the adventurers remain in the third. The boats make their way from the dock and down the gently flowing Worried Stream. (This name having been applied, or so the story goes, due to its meandering path, fancifully imagined to resemble that taken by one lost in thought.) The excursion passes the ice house to port and the chapel to starboard, then follows a bend in the stream to a structure named, in a most logical fashion, the White Bridge; for, indeed, its hue is that of the purest new fallen snow, being composed of Italian marble of fine quality (and no little expense, one would imagine.) The bridge is also very low, intended merely to provide a path for one to cross, rather than to allow riparian traffic. In short, the boats cannot pass through whilst occupied. It seems that portage will be necessary to continue. The guests scramble out of the boats, pulling them to shore with many a exclamation of consternation. It seems that they are not much used to such a means of transportation. It may be noted also that the waters of the Worried Stream flow more quickly -- evidence of greater depth -- on the far side of the bridge.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:43 pm
by jp1885

Lepus helps drag the boats over to the other side of the bridge, encouraging and exhorting the Greek visitors.

“Come, push on! Soon we will reach thy home!”

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:32 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza is careful about getting back into the boat on the other side, aware that she is unlikely to be able to swim.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry directs Ivan to help carry the boats. Between him and Eliza, it shouldn't be difficult. "Something like Fulton's Nautilus could have just passed underneath the bridge," he says, "provided the stream is deep enough. It at least appears to be on the far side."

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The greater depth and increased velocity of the water prove obvious to all, before reaching the Moaning Bridge (and possible refreshment at the Brew House.) It will be remembered that it was here that the adventurers encountered a most curious fish of an Oriental kind, although it is not detected now. One may hypothesize what might have become of it, once one realizes that what resembles a miniscule cousin of the famed Maelstrom of the far northern realms lies directly ahead, and appears intent on drawing the boats down into it, if one had not the power to back oars with sufficient force. The boat carrying the adventurers in the lead, the new arrivals following close behind, it is up to them to deal with the situation as seems best.

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:57 pm
by jp1885

“Mayhap yon whirly-pool be the portal to the Styx?” suggests Lepus.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:37 am
by SunlessNick

"It seems a dangerous course to take," says Eliza. "Though I suppose we should expect no different."

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, I think you are right," says Henry. "We must all tie ourselves to the boats so we are not thrown overboard and brace ourselves." He translates these instructions to the Greeks.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Down and down go the tiny vessels, through black and chill waters. Curiously, this does not seem to offer any impediment to respiration, the passengers of said craft instead experiencing sensations akin to those to which one might be subjected upon a sailing ship cruising at great velocity through the agency of high wind. Time passes; exactly how long a period is spent in this manner is difficult to say, more through the confusion of the faculties rather than due to the lack of accurate timepieces. At last, the boats land, with surprising gentleness, upon a sandy shore within a great cave, against which the waters of the whirlpool whisper faintly. Only the dim phosphorescence of tiny organisms in the water offers any light. It requires quite some time before one can make out anything in detail. Then, there appears a figure, tall and slender, nearly hidden in black hood and robes. What little one can see within these garments is of a dull ivory hue. A hollow voice comes from within as the figure raises an arm and gestures at Eliza.

"You have been here before. Why come again?"

Dropping the long, thin, becloaked arm, the figure continues.

"Who offers payment?"

The Greeks evidence much excitement at these words. It seems that each person understands the figure, as if it speaks in no specific tongue, but all at once.

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:30 pm
by jp1885

Lepus bows deeply and produces the mouldering coins he found in Longbones' hut.

"'tis I Lepus, oh Charon. Here be payment, from the pockets of the immortal once known as Tithonus," he intones. "Be these coins enough to ferry yon lost son and daughters of Hellas to their rightful place?"

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:03 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza shakes her head at Charon's words, but does not attempt to contradict him or interrupt Lepus.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"The rest of us will be returning whence we came," says Henry. "It is not a journey I intend to take." As much as he would like to visit ancient Greece, getting back would likely prove challenging, and he has too much tying him to this time. Still, he is intrigued about the idea of inventing a device to travel through time.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote:
Lepus bows deeply and produces the mouldering coins he found in Longbones' hut.

"'tis I Lepus, oh Charon. Here be payment, from the pockets of the immortal once known as Tithonus," he intones. "Be these coins enough to ferry yon lost son and daughters of Hellas to their rightful place?"
"It shall be done." With no other words, the figure turns away. The Greeks follow him into a dark tunnel, and are soon lost to sight.

The adventurers remain behind on this underground shore. The three boats, now empty, drift lazily nearby. There remains the problem of how one might win passage to whence one came, given that the flow of the whirlpool tended down to this place, and there is no obvious manner in which to induce it to reverse course.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:03 pm
by jp1885

“Hm, mayhap we should jump back in?” says Lepus. By way of an experiment, he tosses a stone into the vortex.

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:26 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza looks around to see if there's another exit. In a different direction from the one the Greeks went.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry looks around as well for any other exit from this place.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: “Hm, mayhap we should jump back in?” says Lepus. By way of an experiment, he tosses a stone into the vortex.
The pebble swirls down into the whirlpool and is lost to sight.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Eliza looks around to see if there's another exit. In a different direction from the one the Greeks went.
Spoiler:
She does not notice any such.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: Henry looks around as well for any other exit from this place.
Spoiler:
Doctor North's familiarity with the natural philosophy of caverns allows him to perceive that certain stalagmites have been knocked down within the dim tunnel ahead, in a way indicating that some person or persons moved in such a direction as to require removing this impediment to travel, said path leading, as far as one can tell so far, to a blank cave wall on the left of the passage.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry shows his discovery to the others. "I have a feeling there's a secret passage in that wall," says Henry. "Let's take a closer look."

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:26 pm
by jp1885

Lepus joins his friends in inspecting the wall.

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:49 pm
by SunlessNick

As does Eliza.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
wis 11, 18, and 100
Perhaps it requires the naïve eyes of one who has not yet been jaded by earthly appearances to perceive what is not obvious to others. Be that as it may, it is Eliza alone who barely detects a thin, rectilinear crack running throughout the cave wall, in a pattern that suggests a door drawn upon the stone by one without great skill. In what manner this seeming portal may be entered is by no means clear, for the sense of touch does not evince any way to pass through, but rather signals only solidity.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:28 pm
by jp1885

“Hm, mayhap we should knock,” suggests Lepus, stepping forward and rapping on the door.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:29 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza gets out of Lepus's way.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"An excellent idea," says Henry, standing back.

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The knocking produces a hollow echo from beyond the wall, indicating a lack of complete solidity beyond. Despite this evidence, the wall itself is as resistant to brute force as a mountain.

After a moment, softly glowing letters, like pale fire, appear on the wall. At first they seem to be of some indecipherable ancient text, composed of small lines and triangles. Then, changing in the manner of the patterns produced by the tossing of a stone in water, they transform into plain English.

WHAT BUILDING IS IT WHEREIN ONE ENTERS BLIND AND EMERGES SIGHTED

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:02 pm
by jp1885

Lepus frowns and turns to his companions, gurning with puzzlement.

“What say you? A lighthouse? A birthing place, where thou art blind in the womb and then born into the light? The shop of a purveyor of eyeglasses? I know not.”

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:02 am
by SunlessNick

"A library, perhaps?" suggests Eliza, "where one emerges with newfound insight?"

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is a womb, I believe," says Henry.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
These speculations being voiced, there follows a most peculiar phenomenon. It seems as if an irresistible wind, such as ravages the West Indies from time to time, seizes Eliza, but not her companions. It draws her up to the stone wall, and then -- mirable dictu! -- entirely through it, as if it were no more than the finest gauze of Araby. Dying away thereafter, the forceful breeze is felt no longer, nor is its involuntary passenger detectable by human senses.
Eliza,You find yourself in a completely dark chamber.
The previous message having, much like the writing on Belshazzar's wall, appeared out of nothingness, it now reshapes itself into a new form.

WHO ARE THE LANTERN-BEARING SERVANTS WHO APPEAR EACH NIGHT WITHOUT BIDDING, AND WITHDRAW EACH MORNING WITHOUT DISMISSAL

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:44 am
by jp1885

“Be they the stars?” asks Lepus.

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"They are indeed the stars," agrees Henry, who has spent his share of time observing them.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:25 am
by SunlessNick
Vicki,"[color=#0040FF]Father? Lepus?[/color]" Eliza screams, trying to get her bearings and gauge where the door is, if it is even there at all. Both of them referred to a womb, while Eliza was the only one to say library - she is uncertain whether this means she has failed or passed the door's test.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The selfsame unsourced wind carries both Lepus and Doctor North through the stone wall. The sensation is not unlike passing through a particularly thick fog. They find themselves in a completely lightless chamber, the approximate size of which may be deduced by the echoing of Eliza's anxious cries. In short, the volume of the room is not insubstantial. Each is able to locate the other two easily enough, via voice and touch, but otherwise it is a case, as they say, of the blind leading the blind.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:16 am
by jp1885

Glad that everyone is reunited, Lepus rummages around his various pouches and pockets for his tinderbox and enough bric-a-brac to start a small fire; enough to cast some light around them.

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry takes out his Illuminator and uses it to provide light.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:38 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza expresses her relief the others' arrival.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The chamber fills with light, revealing a vast cavern.
Spoiler:
A quick search of the place, which appears to rival Saint Paul's cathedral in extent, reveals that there are no less than ten staircases, for lack of a better word, carved into the rock, leading upward through small openings in the roof of the cave. Examining each one via the Illuminator elicits only the information that they all go up a very long way, further than the light can penetrate. Each climbs in an irregular spiral. Taking a close look, one can tell that they were chiseled into the stone with rough tools in times long past, judging by the way in which the tiny, slow dripping of water from overhanging stalactites has worn holes in them. It does not seem possible to determine where each might lead, if anywhere.

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:13 am
by jp1885

“Whichever we choose, we should ascend together, yesno?” says Lepus as he scrutinises the steps for clues.

“Let old Lepus meditate for a moment...”

He closes his eyes, letting his preternatural sense sweep through the cavern. As he does so, he mutters an incantation to detect evil, in case any of the steps leads to peril.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Unless we can get more information about where the stairways go, we'll have to pick one at random," says Henry when Lepus finishes. "I agree, we should all stay together. Do you still have that pathfinding talisman? That might give us a hint as to which way to go."

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:38 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza looks to see if anything appears different about any of the staircases. Width, steepness, the shape of the exit, anything written on them...

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: “Whichever we choose, we should ascend together, yesno?” says Lepus as he scrutinises the steps for clues.

“Let old Lepus meditate for a moment...”

He closes his eyes, letting his preternatural sense sweep through the cavern. As he does so, he mutters an incantation to detect evil, in case any of the steps leads to peril.
The hedge wizard's arcane sense for unnatural dangers reveals that each of the staircases contains hazards, set to trap the unwary, but that this was done more as a means of limiting access to those worthy of it, rather than strictly from sinister intent.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Unless we can get more information about where the stairways go, we'll have to pick one at random," says Henry when Lepus finishes. "I agree, we should all stay together. Do you still have that pathfinding talisman? That might give us a hint as to which way to go."
Use of the talisman reveals only that all of the staircases lead upward, emerging somewhere above ground.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:09 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Eliza looks to see if anything appears different about any of the staircases. Width, steepness, the shape of the exit, anything written on them...

Once each of the staircases has been studied in detail -- a task requiring no little time -- certain distinctions are discovered; to wit, in roughly clockwise fashion:

A staircase down which a tiny flow of water continually flows, so small in volume that it is hardly noticeable, and which vanishes into the dry and dusty floor of the cavern.

A staircase in which a gentle warm breeze is felt, with less force than a feather falling to earth.

A staircase with steps bearing slightly more dust that the others, suggesting perhaps that is has been less traveled.

A staircase somewhat broader than the others, although not so much as to allow two to go abreast.

A staircase, on the other hand, somewhat narrower, although this would not prevent even a large person to make use of it.

A staircase whose helical windings are more evident than the rest, making more turns in an equivalent climb.

A staircase whose steps are of lesser height than the remainder, although still suited to normal use.

Contrariwise, a staircase whose steps are of greater height; again, this is no impediment to their use.

A staircase with steps containing, here and there, tiny glittering places, as of bits of mica or quartz.

A staircase with pitch black areas scattered about, resembling coal.

By this time, the adventurers feel themselves in need of sustenance and rest, after such a detailed investigation.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:20 pm
by jp1885

Stomach rumbling, Lepus rummages around his person for scraps of food, pondering out loud as he does so.

“Psht! Old Lepus would walk the road less travelled, thus choosing the dusty steps, yet the one with water might prove that t’other end at least could provide drink...”

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:11 am
by SunlessNick

"Do these characteristics reflect anything from natural philosophy or magical lore?" asks Eliza. "Or the tales of Greece, since we seem to have been plunged into them."

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry ponders this. "Some of the staircases are indicative of certain elements," he says. "The first one is associated with water, which I must admit would sound good just about now. The second has to do with air, the third perhaps with earth, and the last perhaps with fire."

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Thirst being, as any who have suffered from it know, a far more harsh taskmaster than hunger, it seems prudent to investigate the first staircase, and determine if it offers relief from the ravages of a dry tongue. This proves to be a wise decision, for after some amount of time spent climbing in spiral fashion, the crude stone steps lead to a flat, extended area, covered with a large pool of sweet-smelling water. Caution is advisable, to be sure, but observation of small creatures of darkness -- moles, lizards and the like -- sipping at the liquid without ill effect, as well as the presence of sightless fishes within the pool, lead one to experiment. Indeed, the water proves to be entirely refreshing, without ill effects. There remains the problem of how to cross the pool, if it so be desired, as it is wide across and of unknown depth.

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:25 pm
by jp1885

“Do we swim?” Lepus asks as he wipes his beard dry. “Or go back and try different steps, hm?”

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:38 am
by SunlessNick

"I do not believe that I can swim," says Eliza. "But if this staircase leads to a pool, perhaps the one you chose leads to rocks or Earth. I may be able to move them aside."

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"There is another option," suggests Henry. "We can go back down the stairs and retrieve one of the boats. I'm sure you and Ivan are strong enough to carry it up the stairs."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This suggestion by Doctor North seems promising, but offers a further challenge; specifically, how one is to return to the place where the boats are waiting, now that the adventurers have passed through what seems to be, for the nonce at least, solid stone, into the chamber of stairs.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza looks at the ceiling above the pool, and the walls, wondering if there is a way she might climb along them.

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"Either way, we need to return back downstairs once we have our fill of water," says Henry. "We can see if the wall will let us pass back through it. If not, we can try the earth stairway."

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:09 pm
by jp1885

“Aye, ‘tis worth a try,” concurs Lepus.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Close examination reveals that the walls and ceilings, although somewhat rough, in the nature of stone, do not allow for climbing to any great extent, unless one be a spider or some such vermin.

Returning much refreshed from deep draughts of clean, cool water, the adventurers find their way out of the lower chamber blocked, with no evident manner in which to pass through solid rock.

Investigating the dust-covered staircase, the trio make their way up, raising many fine particles of very fine dirt into the air as they do so.
Spoiler:
CON 14, 10, and 180 Going to count the borderline results as failures, this time
The dust being inhaled, will-I nill-I, by all three, regardless of the care taken to avoid such, they suffer irritating coughs, such as are known to plague miners of coal and other such unfortunate laborers.
Spoiler:
Temporarily reduce CON, STR, and DEX by 1 point until out of the dusty area, due to the effect of the toxic substances therein.
Persevering despite such infirmity, the adventurers finds their way up blocked by an enormous, rough-hewn statue, resembling nothing so much as the large pagan idols reported by Dutch, Spanish, and French explorers, not to mention the late Captain James Cook, on the remote Pacific Island named for the holiest day in the Christian calendar.

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:47 pm
by jp1885

After much coughing and hacking, Lepus bows to the statue.

“Greetings mighty one. How goes the day?”

If the statues doesn’t respond, he will approach and inspect the behemoth.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:16 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza tries to see if the passage continues past the statue or ends.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry examines the statue closely, also looking to see how difficult it would be for Ivan and Eliza to move it.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: After much coughing and hacking, Lepus bows to the statue.

“Greetings mighty one. How goes the day?”

If the statues doesn’t respond, he will approach and inspect the behemoth.
There is no indication that the figure is able to speak, or indeed possesses life in any way. Close examination reveals pale brown stains upon the base of the statue, visible upon the darker stone from which it is hewn.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Eliza tries to see if the passage continues past the statue or ends.
It is just barely possible to determine that the stairway continues it way upward, the bulk of the statue blocking most, but not quite all, sight of what lies beyond it.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry examines the statue closely, also looking to see how difficult it would be for Ivan and Eliza to move it.
At a guess, the combined efforts of the two stand a good chance of repositioning it. There remains the problem that there is little room to maneuver within the stairway, making such an effort awkward, at best.

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:08 pm
by jp1885

“Stay your hand, friends,” requests Lepus before the others try to move the statue. “Mayhap it only needs feeding.”

Kneeling at the base of the statue, he nicks the palm of his hand with his dagger and lets a few drops of blood fall onto it.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:29 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza grows tense, remembering the last time it was suggested that Lepus be fed to a god. She makes ready to sieze him and drag him away from the statue if anything sinister should occur.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry watches warily to see what will happen, ready to respond.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is no apparent reaction from the statue. The presence of fresh blood draws the attention of tiny vermin; such as subsist on this form of nourishment.

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:35 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It may need to be physically moved out of the way,' says Henry. "It would be awkward on this stairway, but I believe Eliza and Ivan can do it. Or we could go back down and try a different stairway."

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:36 pm
by jp1885

“Aye, yon fellow is not hungry,” mutters Lepus as he wraps a rag around his hand. “‘tis agreed: let us try moving it and if we fail, try another route.”

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:02 pm
by Mr. Handy

"With the right parts, I could rig up a rope and pulley system," says Henry. "We could swing the statue out over open space and place it on the stairway behind us."

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:35 am
by SunlessNick

"Where would we find such parts here?" Eliza asks. "Perhaps we need only tilt it a little, enough to squeeze past."

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is no immediately obvious supply of equipment to construct a device such as Doctor North has in mind, no doubt inspired by the famous remark ascribed to the ancient sage Archimedes, that he could move the Earth with a sufficiently lengthy lever, if he had a place to stand.

Be that as it may, the combined strength of Ivan and Eliza is more than sufficient to move the statue. As to the grace with which the deed is performed, that may be another matter.
Spoiler:
DEX 9 and 180
Fortunately, the great weight is carried with sufficient care -- handsomely, as sailors say -- so that no mishap follows. Carried out of the way, the staircase beyond winds its way up, a narrow beam of light illuminating the steps from some distance above.

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:37 pm
by jp1885

"Ah, bravo strong ones!" cackles Lepus. "Let us ascend, yesno?"

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:41 am
by SunlessNick

"I think we are all eager to be elsewhere," agrees Eliza.

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, both of you!" says Henry. "Indeed, onwards and upwards."

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some time spent climbing upward, the adventurers are surprised to meet with a human figure standing on the stairs facing them. He appears to be of the physical type encountered in the Pacific isles, although much more slender than most, with ribs clearly visible, given his minimal clothing, best suited to warm climes. He puts out a hand and speaks, although the words are in a language completely unknown to all present. Among the sounds heard is the oft repeated word aku.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"Aku?" repeats Henry. "I believe he wants some form of payment to pass. But what is an aku?"

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 am
by SunlessNick

"He appears very thin and hungry," says Eliza. "Perhaps aku means food."

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:02 am
by jp1885

“Art thou hungry?” Lepus asks the man as he fishes out a morsel of food from his bag.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The fellow grabs at the food and devours it with the fury of a predatory beast. Having thus found sustenance, he opens his mouth wide, revealing large, sharp teeth, and sticks out both hands. In a voice louder than before, he repeats his unintelligible speech, often gesturing at himself while speaking the word aku, whilst simultaneously making fearsome expressions appear upon his countenance. His manner, in general, alternates between pleading, threatening, and demanding.

Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:55 pm
by jp1885

Backing away slightly, Lepus tilts his head. "Yon fellow's appetite will not be sated methinks. Do we fight him, trick him or turn back?" He grins, somewhat evilly. "Mayhap I could feed him a grenadoe - I still have one or two..."

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:08 am
by SunlessNick

"Perhaps he wants a pice of food from each of us," suggests Eliza.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"This man is not our enemy," says Henry. "If we could figure out what an aku is, we could give him one and pass. In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to give him more food." He reaches into his pack, which Ivan carries for him, and offers the man a piece of fruit.
OOC,Does my Gift for Languages give me any hint as to what aku means?

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst observing the fellow feeding, with no evident knowledge of the niceties of civilized dining, Doctor North dredges up a bit of lore that may be relevant to the man's repetition of the curious word aku. If memory serves, the term is related, in some vague, loose way, with the more familiar tabu, introduced from the Pacific isles by the famed Captain Cook. The exact definition remains obscure, but it seems to have something to do the islanders' religious beliefs.

More quickly than voice can say, the man has consumed all sources of nourishment that the adventurers possess; seemingly enough to satisfy even the appetites of Gargantua and Pantagruel, if one may indulge in hyperbole, as related in the droll fable of the worldly monk Rabelais. Yet he still holds out his hand for more, and his stomach exhibits no evidence of becoming any less sunken.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:39 pm
by SunlessNick

Eliza wonders if the sight of the statue might satisfy the strange man, and gestures for him to follow her down the stairs.

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:55 pm
by jp1885

Lepus follows suit, while looking around for any large stones. If the sight of the statue fails to placate the man, maybe he could be fooled into swallowing rocks? Surely that would sate his hunger?

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry also gestures for the man to follow them down the stairs. "Aku," he says, pointing at the statue and heading down toward it.

Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The fellow only displays a countenance of utter disdain when confronted with these gestures, and rejects the offer of stones with a snarl. He becomes angry, growling and striking his chest with his fists, crying "Aku!" as he does so. Remarkably, he appears to have grown visibly thinner, despite his recent intake of sustenance.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"He must be under some sort of curse," concludes Henry. "Could you reverse it?" he asks Lepus.

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:19 am
by jp1885

"'tis worth a try, aye..."

Twisting strange shapes with his hands, Lepus mutters strange words...

Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:09 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza tries to gauge the man's strength,fearing his hunger may compel him to attack.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: "'tis worth a try, aye..."

Twisting strange shapes with his hands, Lepus mutters strange words...
Spoiler:
Well, let's have this do something . . .
Although there is no evident change in the fellow's disposition, the arcane mutterings of the hedge wizard do seem to have some effect upon his perceived nature. As if by some conjuror's trick performed with mist and mirrors, the man appears, at times, to be slightly translucent, in a way suggesting only partial substantiveness.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:46 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
Eliza tries to gauge the man's strength, fearing his hunger may compel him to attack.
Spoiler:
int = 90
Through sharp observation of the fellow's limbs, and careful consideration of the warp and weave of muscle, bone, and sinew, Eliza is able to deduce that the man, despite a cadaverous thinness, is one of considerable might.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:41 pm
by jp1885

Lepus frowns.

"I know not whether I have wrought a change or not..."

He waves at the fellow.

"Art thou still hungry?"

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Could he be some sort of ghost?" asks Henry. "I can see through him sometimes."

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:42 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Lepus frowns.

"I know not whether I have wrought a change or not..."

He waves at the fellow.

"Art thou still hungry?"
If the fellow's constant gesturing with empty hands can be taken as a demand for sustenance, as seems probable, the response to this inquiry appears to be in the positive.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote: "Could he be some sort of ghost?" asks Henry. "I can see through him sometimes."
It may possibly be the case that the being has, in some manner or other, encountered some few words of the English tongue. As evidence, upon hearing Doctor North speak the word ghost, he grins widely, revealing many strong, sharp teeth, and beats his fists against his chest, crying out yet again the single word aku. He then snarls in a threatening manner.
Spoiler:
0target: North, Lepus, Eliza1damage2
Being nearest the inquisitive hedge wizard, the fellow -- or should one say creature? -- suddenly lashes out with both hands, ripping a piece of flesh -- fortunately, not of so great a mass as that demanded by Shylock -- from Lepus' arm, shoves it into his mouth, and swallows it in the manner of a beast. The injury is a painful and bloody one, if not yet threatening to life.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:23 pm
by jp1885

Lepus yowls as he is attacked by the fiend.

Leaping back, he raises his hands defensively.

“I remove a curse, now I make one. If a ghost you be, then thou art banished!”

Being hurt by the creature enables Lepus to curse it with a banish spirit spell.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry stands ready with his cane and Ivan with his sword to strike in the event that the creature looks like it will attack again.

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The being has a chance to make a saving throw to avoid banishment, and has WIS = 14 (similar to a Wraith)0
The creature seems annoyed by the magical incantations of Lepus, but, with evident strain on its countenance, manages to avoid being dispelled, although it appears to shimmer in and out of existence for a moment.
Spoiler:
I'm giving it a normal DEX of 9 instead of the Wraith's usual 16 (!) because it isn't quite a Wraith, but something else.1 Choice of victim, as before2damage3
Turning its attention to Doctor North, the creature again slashes out with sharp claws, inflicting painful injury and devouring such flesh as it obtains in this crude manner.
Spoiler:
And to explain something I neglected, just for fun . . .
It is a curious fact, if one has a moment to consider it, that the being takes no notice whatsoever of Ivan, whose vast form could hardly be missed by anyone of even minimal eyesight. Might this have something to do with the fact that the Russian homeland is famed for its icy climate, and the creature evidently hails from a much warmer one?

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:41 pm
by jp1885

Frustrated, Lepus quickly grabs a piece of rag from his pockets and, using blood from his wound, draws the symbol he discovered in the caves under the Highdark estate.

If he succeeds, he will hold it up to the fiend (half-hoping that it’ll eat the bloodied cloth and thus carry the tune inside it).

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:27 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry and Ivan will strike at the creature if Lepus's plan does not succeed. "Perhaps it cannot stand the cold," he muses aloud.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:12 am
by SunlessNick

Using all her strength, Eliza slams her fist into the creature's jaw.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote: Using all her strength, Eliza slams her fist into the creature's jaw.
Spoiler:
Let's have this happen first. DEX = 180damage1
This bold attack causes the lower half of the being's face to fall off completely, and yet seems to have only caused it a moderate amount of harm, as it continues its ravenous approach.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: Frustrated, Lepus quickly grabs a piece of rag from his pockets and, using blood from his wound, draws the symbol he discovered in the caves under the Highdark estate.

If he succeeds, he will hold it up to the fiend (half-hoping that it’ll eat the bloodied cloth and thus carry the tune inside it).
Spoiler:
Let's see if it's smart enough to recognize it. INT 90
Apparently eager to devour anything that is even remotely edible, both cloth and blood being ultimately derived from living organisms, the creature swallows it. Freezing suddenly in place, its eyes roll back in its head until only yellowish sclera are visible. It then collapses, breaks apart into uncounted bits and pieces of bone and sinew, and ultimately vanishes completely.

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:58 am
by jp1885

“Old Lepus has given it indigestion, yesno?” the wanderer cackles evilly. “Let us tend to our wounds and press on.”

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry. He treats Lepus's wound and then his own.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:13 am
by SunlessNick

"I hope it was a spirit of some kind, not a man cursed to such a state," Eliza says. "Will your arm heal?"

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:41 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It would appear that, even now, the wounds inflicted by the creature have grown lesser, perhaps a sign of its insubstantial nature. Be that as it may, the trio of adventurers make their way up the stairway, which continues for some distance, until at last it reaches an opening to the outside world, of sorts. At present, it is merely a small hole, such as might be made by a badger or similar burrowing creature. The ground surrounding it is not particularly firm, so there would seem to be little effort required to widen it sufficiently to permit egress. For the moment, it offers a welcome ray of sunshine, accompanied by a soft breeze, which is heavily scented with floral aromas. From time to time, rain falls through the hole in sudden bursts, but these do not last but a moment, and the precipitation is pleasantly warm to the touch.

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:24 pm
by jp1885

“This be not Highdark,” mutters Lepus as he scrapes away to enlarge the hole. “But there may be food and shelter. Mayhap it be a pleasant place to tarry afore returning to the steps.”

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:06 am
by SunlessNick
OOC for everyone,I have a feeling we're about to dig our way out of a grave.
Eliza enlarges the hole as quickly as she can, drinking in the freshness of the rain-scented air. When it is wide enough to pass, she helps the others ascend before following.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"There is water too, for certain," says Henry. "Depending on where this comes out, we may not have to go back down the steps. We can find out where this comes out, and it may be faster to travel back to Highdark on the surface."

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The surrounding area proves to be a place where sunshine and rain, like children at play, alternate frequently, both acting in gentle manner. Given this salubrious climate, it is no surprise to discover that Flora has proved a most generous patroness. High grass covers the ground wherever tall palms, covered with thick vines of remarkable length, allow them to grow. Between and betwixt, flowers of gaudy color and heavy fragrance adorn the land. Drawn to Nature's abundance, birds in equally bright shades dash to and fro at great speed, often crying out in loud voices, like so many drunken sailors. From time to time, a monkey -- that all-too-accurate caricature of Man! -- jumps up a peculiar plant of moderate size, neither bush nor truly a tree. This whimsical creation of the goddess of foliage bears what appear to be large, curved, yellow fruits, arranged in large bunches weighing down the plant. It is these that the primate relishes, it is easy to see.

Given the abundance of plant life, it is difficult to tell what lies at a distance in any direction. There is no apparent evidence of human habitation.

Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:24 pm
by jp1885

“Mayhap this be Eden, yesno?” Lepus speculates as he emerges into the light. “My stomach rumbles, but hap’ly I see no apples for the Serpent to tempt me with...”

Watching the primates before begging their pardon, he picks one on the strange yellow fruits and takes a bite.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 am
by SunlessNick

"I have seen no creatures such as these near Highdark Hall," says Eliza.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we can get a better view of our surroundings by climbing a tree," suggests Henry.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
jp1885 wrote: “Mayhap this be Eden, yesno?” Lepus speculates as he emerges into the light. “My stomach rumbles, but hap’ly I see no apples for the Serpent to tempt me with...”

Watching the primates before begging their pardon, he picks one on the strange yellow fruits and takes a bite.
The peculiar fruit proves to have a most bitter and unpleasant outer coating. Once this is removed, however the interior is of an appealing flavor.

The monkey, evidently of an aggressive nature, takes this as an affront to its dignity, not doubt thinking the abundance of fruit should belong to it alone. Scrambling to one of the tall trees that bear the large, furry, hard-shelled brown nuts of coco, it seizes one of these and tosses it at Lepus with a shriek.
Spoiler:
dex 150damage1we'll call it nonlethal
The natural weapon, although not as deadly as the cannonball it so closely resembles, strikes Lepus upon the temple, raising a noticeable lump. Noting this victory, the monkey leaps to the ground and dances about.

Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
"Perhaps we can get a better view of our surroundings by climbing a tree," suggests Henry.
Spoiler:
DEX 110
Making use of a solid knowledge of botany, as well as the physical laws dealing with the art of climbing, Doctor North selects a particularly suitable tree, and ascends safely. From this vantage point, it is possible to see that the adventurers are currently standing upon a crescent-shaped piece of land, the interior curve of which is filled with water of unusual clarity, the said cove leading to the open sea. It is evident that this is a fine natural harbor, yet no vessels rest therein.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:12 am
by SunlessNick

"Which part of the world did you say that statue hailed from?" asks Eliza. "Could we have been transported there?"

In response to the monkey's assault, she says, "Lepus, would you have me throw that back at him?"

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"It does seem we have been transported to an island in the Pacific Ocean," says Henry, coming down from the tree and making sure Lepus is all right. "That statue is from there. It is Polynesian, I believe, and it is called a moai. It appears we will have to go back down and try another stairway. Monkeys have been known to throw worse things at people. Some of them fling their own waste. I think we should keep the coconut. It is excellent for nourishment and filled with milk, and we need all the food and drink we can get."

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:41 pm
by jp1885

"Nay Miss Eliza, stay your hand," replies Lepus to his 'niece' while ruefully rubbing his head. "Mayhap I would act similar if strange folk were to pilfer my larder."

The wanderer nods at Henry's suggestion.

"Aye. Though a passing fisherman might happen across us, 'tis still a long journey back to England methinks. Which steps shall we ascend next?"

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:51 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps the most normal staircase will take us where we want to go," suggests Henry.

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Tenth: An Introduction to Soci

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The adventurers will no doubt recall what they had previously discovered concerning the octet of stairways yet unexplored.

A staircase in which a gentle warm breeze is felt, with less force than a feather falling to earth.

A staircase somewhat broader than the others, although not so much as to allow two to go abreast.

A staircase, on the other hand, somewhat narrower, although this would not prevent even a large person to make use of it.

A staircase whose helical windings are more evident than the rest, making more turns in an equivalent climb.

A staircase whose steps are of lesser height than the remainder, although still suited to normal use.

Contrariwise, a staircase whose steps are of greater height; again, this is no impediment to their use.

A staircase with steps containing, here and there, tiny glittering places, as of bits of mica or quartz.

A staircase with pitch black areas scattered about, resembling coal.

It is a pretty problem to determine which of these might be considered the most normal.

Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:27 am
by jp1885

"The damp stairs lead to the lake, the dusty stairs to yon tropical island..."

Lepus muses for a second, before shuffling to the staircase from whence a warm breeze can be felt.

"What say you? This one?"

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:31 am
by SunlessNick

Eliza looks longingly at the broader staircase, but nods.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I was thinking of the one with the black areas that resemble coal," says Henry. "Coal is a known product of Britain, particularly of Wales. While that would still be some distance from home, it is not insurmountable."

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 am
by jp1885

Lepus shrugs. “Aye, ‘tis worth trying.”

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being no evident objection to this strategy, the adventurers proceed up the indicated stairway. The way up is not so very difficult, it seems, and is not entirely without its own charms, if one be in a state of mind to appreciate them. To wit, the bits of black stone alternate, once one has attained a certain height, with more colorful small rocks, embedded within the steps. There also appear to be small pieces of highly reflective metal, causing the light of the Illuminator to be reflected upon the stone walls, and broken up into areas of light resembling so many stars.

After some time, wooden pillars appear here and there, standing between the steps and the rock ceiling directly above them. These slow down the rate of progress considerably, although it is possible to work one's way around them. As the adventurers squeeze past these objects, they seem to detect a dull, hollow, knocking sound, seemingly coming from within the stone walls.

Posted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 pm
by jp1885

"I think we may be in a mine," suggests Lepus, ducking under a beam. "But who be doing the mining, and for what?"

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:07 am
by SunlessNick

"It is beautiful," Eliza says, a child-like wonder showing through as she looks at the glittering rocks. "Even if this proves another wrong turn, I shall treasure the memory of seeing it."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Indeed," says Henry, admiring the stones. "I was hoping there would be Welshmen mining coal, but it could easily be dwarves mining for diamonds."

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the adventurers continue to make their way upward, the space growing ever more cramped, so that all must walk bent over, they detect a high-pitched voice, seeming to come from somewhere within the rock itself.
Spoiler:
off site die rolls 3d20 = 5, 14, 14
The words are entirely unintelligible to Eliza, which is not very surprising, given her short time upon the face of the Earth, but both Doctor North, from his study of the multiple tongues of humanity, and Lepus, from his wanderings throughout Albion, recognize it as Cornish, a language that has nearly disappeared from its ancient homeland. It may be translated thusly, allowing for a certain informality in the original.

'Ware the beams! They falls!

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:01 pm
by jp1885

Lepus hold his hand up to stop the others.

“Hush!” he hisses. “The Knockers be warning us! Yon mine is collapsing!”

He scrambles backwards (leaving a little food behind him in payment to the Knockers if the opportunity allows).

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 pm
by Mr. Handy

Henry leads Eliza and Ivan after Lepus. "Maybe we can shore up the beams, if we can find them," he says. "It is a simple matter of physics. It seems we are in Cornwall, or at least under it. Not terribly far from home."

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 am
by SunlessNick

"Perhaps one of the stairways will provide something that can brace them, when coupled with the strength of Ivan and myself," says Eliza. "It was good of them to warn us."

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The combined might of the Russian and the Reanimate are sufficient to dig up several large lumps of anthracite from within the staircase and form them into a pile, supporting the beams, which have begun to shift and creak ominously. The attention of the adventurers being drawn elsewhere, understandably, they do not take notice of the fact that the scraps of food left by Lepus have disappeared until well after the fact. When silence once again reigns within the gloomy space, the beams having been secured sufficiently, the selfsame voice is heard again from within the stone wall.

Poor fare, but well intended. Who ventures below, whither bound, and what payment?

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:44 pm
by jp1885

“We be but lost travellers: Lord North, his ward Eliza, manservant Ivan and I, old Lepus. We seek the land of England, be that fair Curnow or elsewhere on her shores. Alas, having wandered far we have no pasties for thee, but we would offer this large nut from the far tropics if it pleases.”

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"I do have a small gemstone that I think you might like," says Henry. He often carries gems, as it's the easiest way to transport wealth. He had previously given one to a French baron and used another to construct his Illluminator, and he is pleased to offer another here. He places it in the same spot where Lepus had left the food.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There is the sound of multiple persons chattering, too low to be made out. Then, the selfsame voice as previously heard speaks again.

Fair stone is most welcome. This queer foodstuff is unknown to us. Enter, and show how it may be opened.

With that, the gem and nut de coco vanish, as if they had never existed, whilst a pitch black opening, of no great size, but able to permit entry even by Eliza, if she but stoop, appears upon the wall.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:36 pm
by jp1885

Lepus looks at the others before clambering through the hole.

"Like any nut, it must be cracked open I suppose?"

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:23 am
by SunlessNick

"Thankyou," says Eliza to the unseen voice.

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you for your hospitality," says Henry, following the others into the opening. "Cracking the coconut open would spill all the milk. The best way to open it is to make a small hole in it, through which you can drink the milk or pour it into a container. Then you can crack open the coconut to get at the delicious solid food inside."

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Slowly, much like the rising of a dim sun on a day heavy with clouds, the area beyond the rock wall glows with its own light, although this is hardly sufficient to provide more than a bare minimum of visibility. Illuminated thus, there appear to be several small figures within, about the size of a child beginning to learn its prayers. One of them reaches out with long, thin arms, taking the nut de coco. Withdrawing into conference with others of its kind, there soon after follows the sound of tools being applied to the hard-shelled fruit, then a sort of satisfied slurping and crunching sound. The selfsame figure returns.

Like to fine milk, it say. More!

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:57 pm
by jp1885

Lepus’ eyes narrow, forseeing a constant battle with the monkey to satiate greedy Knockers.

“How many more?” he asks. “‘til thy promise to show us out?”

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"How about if we tell you where to find more?" asks Henry. "All the coconuts you could ever want are up one of the other stairways, back the way we came."

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:23 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
What proof that such realm be real? Might be trickery. Friend to true workmen we be, but knaves not to be suffered.

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:23 pm
by jp1885

“I will stay here, and one of thee can go in my place,” volunteers Lepus. “You can see with thine own eyes, yesno?”

Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"We will gladly show one of you if words are not enough proof," says Eliza.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:04 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
In response to these invitations, one of the half-seen figures steps forward, revealing himself to be, as far as eye can tell, a grown man, but of diminutive size, dressed in miner's gear and bearing the tools of that ancient trade. He extends a hand in friendship, which proves to be nearly as hard as stone and possessing great strength, despite being child-like in proportion.

Jori, he announces, by way of introduction. Where lies this land of such fine fare, upon which you giants feast?

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Dr. Henry North," says Henry, giving the dwarf a handshake, though he cannot hope to match his strength. "Pleased to meet you, Jori. Back the way we came is a stairway leading down to a chamber with several different stairways. One of the stairways is dustier than the others, as fewer go that way. That leads to an island where the coconuts grow. The island is also inhabited by monkeys who consider the coconuts to be theirs. They threw one at my friend here and hit him in the head with it." He indicates Lepus.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:54 pm
by SunlessNick

"Your home is quite beautiful, Jori" says Eliza, thinking she should repeat her earlier sentiment to one of the residents. Unsure if she should offer her hand the way the men do, she curtsies instead.

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:42 pm
by jp1885

Lepus doffs his tricorne and bows, revealing the monkey-administered lump on his head.

"I be old Lepus, at your service. Seeker of knowledge be I - mayhap I shall learn many things this day."

Posted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:41 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Well-mannered you three be, more so than many who delve deep below. Pass, then, and we shall mind our business here, for we've no wish to meet with these 'monkeys' of which you speak, seeming to be ill-tempered creatures indeed.

With that, the fellow directs the adventurers within, where they encounter many others of the same kind, who express great wonder at such a marvel of Nature as the young giantess. Eventually, the trio climb upward sufficiently to emerge from a rough stone tower, from which one perceives a rugged seacoast.

Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"This must be the Cornish coast," says Henry, looking around. "We must get our bearings and find passage back to Highdark Hall. The coast is to the south, so turning left when facing it would lead us east."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:52 am
by SunlessNick

"What a sight!" exclaims Eliza as she takes in the sea and the rocky cliffs. "So much water... you told me of the sea, Father, but to see it for myself! Are there such marvels in all corners of the world? How I wish I had thought to explore the island further."

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:45 am
by jp1885

“Aye, Curnow be a wondrous place. Cruel and barren at times, but beautiful also,” says Lepus

“‘tis surrounded by sea on three sides, so let me see on which side we be.”

Fiddling with various bits of bone produced from his noisome pockets, the hedge wizard makes a talisman of Know Direction.

Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It is indeed a beautiful land," says Henry. "Such sights are one of the joys of exploring. The world is full of beauty and wonder."

Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please proceed to Book the Second, Chapter the Eleventh.