Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Ninth: An Orphan Misplaced

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Upon hearing the words magick arts, as if it were that fabled phrase spoken by Ali Baba, Open Sesame!, as reported in the Frenchman's translation of that curious volume of tales known as The Thousand Nights and a Night, the roughly hewn wooden door creaks open no wider than a child's finger. From beyond, shining in a ray of sunlight that penetrates the crack, may be seen one single eye, the iris gray as a pearl, surrounded by deeply wrinkled skin. Little else is visible save some hints of tangled white hair and cloth of uncertain color.

"Who speaks of magick? Demonstrate such powers, or be gone. I've no time to waste with mere charlatanry."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

“My skills are humble compared to the great sages, but mayhap I can be if service to thee. Has thou something broken or art thou afflicted with vermin? Failing that, dost thou have something thy wish to be moved?”

If the hermit answers in the positive to any of these, Lepus will cast Mending, Banish Vermin or Unseen Servant accordingly (preferably Mending as this might serve to draw the fellow out slightly in order to produce the broken item).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry leaves the magic to Lepus. While some of his scientific devices may seem magical, they probably wouldn't satisfy the hermit.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

William listens for some sound that might betray the presence of another within the hut.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

In response to this offer, the barely seen personage within the shack withdraws, is heard mumbling a few words, then returns with a wooden spoon of crude design, the handle nearly broken off.

"Mend that if you can, or I'll knock in your pate."

Sounds that seem to be the clattering of one small object against another come from inside the humble domicile.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus shambles forward and takes the spoon (trying to catch a better glimpse of the fellow as he does so), before muttering a spell of mending on the object.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"May I ask who else is within?" enquires William directly of the hermit. "It may be that they have seen something of the stricken lady."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry watches the spell's effects with interest, curious as to the scientific principles that he knows must be behind it, yet completely unable to conceive of how it works.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the spoon softens and reshapes itself, like clay molded by unseen hands, Lepus can see that the hermit is an exceptionally tall, thin, very old man, yet one who stands as straight as any young popinjay. His tangled gray locks hang far below his shoulders. His only garment is a robe of sorts. It is a bit surprising that the cloth is quite clean, as if it has been scrupulously scrubbed recently.

"Fairly done," he admits. "Come in, then, and the slattern will serve victuals. 'Tis poor fare, but enough for an honest man, if such you be."

Waving the adventurers into his humble abode, it is immediately obvious that the only other inhabitant is, as expected, the female creature, who is busy performing such domestic chores as are never entirely completed.

"Hurry yourself, scullion," the hermit shouts at her.

"Yes, my lord and master," she replies in a soft voice.

It is evident that the hermit has no conception of the relationship between the creature and his visitors; nor, more surprisingly, does the female elicit any sign of recognition of those with whom she was formerly associated.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I be honest enough to accept thy hospitality,” jokes Lepus. “Any fare be palatable to a wanderer such as old Lepus.”

He seats himself, happily accepting the food.

“‘tis a fine thing for a hermit to acquire a servant; how came you by her?”
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

WIlliam has had little discourse with the female Creature, and it is of little surprise that she might not recognise him. "I share the same surprise," he says to the hermit, "though she seems happy enough in the role."
Vicki,Privately he wonders if leaving her here might be the best solution. He voiced a suspicion earlier that she might possess an exaggerated form of a woman's natural frailty of spirit, in contrast to the male's aggression and impatience - serving the hermit would thus be fit for her temperment and at the same time keep her away from contact with humans. He is however under no illusions about how the others would greet such a suggestion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed," says Henry, who would definitely have expected the creature to have recognized him and suspects that the hermit has used some sort of magic on her. "Thank you for your hospitality. How is it that you keep her so obedient?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The hermit laughs, a dry, crackling sound, not unlike that of a magpie.

"Old Longbones knows a trick or three, indeed." He chuckles at his guests, obviously fond of bragging about his accomplishments. "Came to my door, she did, bold as day. Some might've thought her mad, but so also they say of Old Longbones, so no mind to be paid to that. A firm word and a sure hand, and she'll mind like a properly trained mongrel. Fetch ale, wench!"

The creature obediently brings crudely carved wooden mugs of what proves to be a home-brewed liquid of no great quality. After quaffing a considerable amount, the hermit reaches into a pocket that has been sewn into his robe, removing what appears to be a disc formed from many small pieces of variably colored glass.

"Watch, and learn," he whispers.

As the creature refills his jug for a third time from a bucket, he lifts the object to her eye. The creature ceases her chore and stares at the thing.

"What recall you of the times before Old Longbones took you in?"

"Nothing, my lord and master."

"And what desires lie within your soul?"

"Only to serve you, my lord and master."

With a grin, the hermit dismisses her, placing the disc back in his pocket.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Thou art blessed to possess such a thing!" Lepus declares, smacking his lips after draining his ale. "To change the mind of a person so that she knows not her own father - 'tis a wonderous thing and far beyond the power of a poor wretch such as I."

"How came thee by such treasure? How long does the glamour last? Ah, answer not the second question, for old Lepus can sense it be permanent. I suspect no power on earth can reverse such magic, eh Longbones?"
Last edited by jp1885 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"While this is a remarkable feat," William says, "it sadly also makes it clear that your servant can know nothing to aid us in our quest. Thus perhaps we should take our leave to search elsewhere."
Vicki,The hermit's words have cemented William's conviction that leaving the female Creature here is the best course. If the others attack the hermit now, he will aid them of course, but if they take his cue to leave, he will try to make the case. OOC, I figure this is worth a bump in perversity - opting to leave her in this kind of slavery is straight-up evil, whether the others go along with it or not. I'm also aware that it may lead the others to be unwilling to associate with William any more - if so, I'm cool with creating a new character.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Could the object itself be used to reverse its effects?" asks Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Tish and tosh," Old Longbones says in response to Lepus. ""Tis none of your enchantment, but mere bauble to dazzle the eye and baffle the brain. Had from grandsire, and he from own."

In answer to Doctor North, he adds "Might could be, if reason there was, though none comes to mind. Why inquire thus?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus snorts with amusement.

"Psht! Yon bauble be nought but a parlour trick then! Why, if thee placed it 'pon the table I could make it float as if 'twere a feather!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Scientific curiosity," says Henry. "As a natural philosopher, it's in my nature to wonder how things work."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,William waits to see what happens. It seems that Lord Dunwich and Lepus mean to ambush the hermit - if so he will help them. If they leave, he will make his case to leave the female where she is. I've upped my Perversity by 1 - it's 16 now, which is pretty firmly in evil territory (the player's book compares it to Ivan the Terrible).

Return to “Ghastly Affair”