Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Eighth: A Brace of Conundr

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The answer is 'bramble,'" says Henry after some thought. "A bee produces honey, a ram would dally with a sheep, and a bull is an order issued by the Papists in Rome. A bramble would prick whoever would gather its fruit." He clears his throat before proceeding with his own charade.

"My FIRST is in the middle of nowhere.
My SECOND the beginning of the end.
My THIRD is the end of what comes after.
My FOURTH the end of ev'ry age, my friend.
My WHOLE is not at all so far away.
It is the place where we all stand today."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

It is Lady Highdark who, sufficiently recovered in health to participate in activities not physically taxing, makes attempt to cut through this verbal Gordian knot.

"Although your extensive learning renders you far from a mere abecedarian," she makes remark to Lord North, "nonetheless it is evident that you have not forsaken the rudiments of language, that is to say, the individual letters from which it is created. Thus I decipher this riddle, as if it were that great block of black granite discovered by Bonaparte's minions in recent days in the land of the Nile.

"To wit; 'h' being the middle of 'nowhere,' 'e' the beginning of 'end,' 'r' the end of 'after,' and 'e' also the end of 'age,' it is clear that where we are standing is 'here.'"

Having thus conquered the challenge, Lady Highdark meditates for a moment upon her own offering. She glances to where Georgina sits, occupied with the babe Artemis, as if assuring herself that her daughter is not one of those currently lending ear to the conversation. With a sly smile, she begins.

My FIRST is called the sailor's home --
The waves for Jolly Jack!
My SECOND either flies or swims --
Its speech is rendered 'Quack!"
My THIRD you must not do to me
Or else my WHOLE you lack!
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Vicki,I'm trying to send ypu a note, but it keeps leaving it in my outbox folder, not my sent one - have you received it? (I've tried three times)
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“Hehe, ‘tis a flighty one, yesno?” Lepus cackles alarmingly. “The answer be see-duck-shun, be it not? Alas such a thing be of little interest to old Lepus; whose turn is done, so who else shalt pose a riddle?”
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Vicki,I'm trying to send ypu a note, but it keeps leaving it in my outbox folder, not my sent one - have you received it? (I've tried three times)
William,Yes, I actually got it just fine three times. I think "outbox" means "you sent it, but it has not yet been read by the receiver" so that's normal.
By this time, it will be noted that the brave man of arms, perhaps not used to such frivolous and innocent forms of entertainment, takes his leave, explaining that he wishes to clear his head by taking a walk outside.
William,WIS=10[dice]0[/dice]Despite whatsoever feeling you may have about the tower of stones, examining the structure reveals nothing much of interest.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
“Hehe, ‘tis a flighty one, yesno?” Lepus cackles alarmingly. “The answer be see-duck-shun, be it not? Alas such a thing be of little interest to old Lepus; whose turn is done, so who else shalt pose a riddle?”
The hedge wizard being thus the first to achieve a pair of victories, is proclaimed, by general acclimation of those assembled, to be (for the day, at least), King of the Festivities. His coronation proceeds with many a hearty laugh, as bits of paper and sprigs of holly are strewn upon his head.

During this merriment, young Artemis is permitted to crawl about the floor, scurrying with great ease across rugs and flags. Once she returns, it may be noted that there are small red stains upon her face and infant garb. After a quick washing up, the babe is put to bed, and all present retire to such activities as they will.

After some time has passed, the absence of Captain Palliser becomes a topic of conversation, the soldier having not yet returned from his excursion, and the day growing late and chill.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mightily pleased with his elevation to royalty, Lepus has himself a rare old time. However, as the night draws in, his merriment turns to introspection.

Of the gallant soldier's disappearance he worries not, for he knows the fellow is more than capable of looking after himself. Mayhap the lusty soldier is ensconced with some paramour from below stairs, or perhaps he waits patiently for Lady Highdark to regain her strength and join him (Lepus notices such things, so he does).

Of greater concern is the babe, Artemis, for she acts more like a daughter of Bast than that of Eve! Not for the first time the hedge wizard suspects she is the subject of the faerie curse. He wonders, maybe, if her personality has been swapped with that of her feline namesake?

He sidles up to Georgina, wringing his tricorne with grubby hands.

"Young mistress, hast thou seen thy cat recently? Old Lepus has a fancy to see her, if he may."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry is also growing increasingly concerned about the baby and her apparent exchange of minds with the cat for which she was named. "Has Artemis been out hunting?" he asks, though he means the baby and not the cat.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Entirely innocent of the darker meaning of Doctor North's inquiry, Georgina makes reply to both him and Lepus by searching for the feline. In a brief time it is discovered in the nursery, where the child that shares its name has so recently been put to bed. In point of fact, it is found asleep, in the cradle which served for Georgina herself when at a tender age. The babe, so it happens, lies upon the hearth of the room's small fireplace, curled up in slumber. This sight so charms and amuses the young mother that she volunteers to stand watch over the infant, to ensure that no accident befell her.

The next morning, in fulfillment of the wish expressed by Lepus, a traveling band of Gypsy folk, contacted for that purpose in some manner or another by Lord Highdark a few days ago, arrive at the estate. The noisy caravan, already rich with laughter, music, and the varied noises of animals so early in the day, is led by an imposing woman of somewhat advanced years, to judge by the cascade of silver hair that pours over her shoulders. The way in which she holds herself might lead one of romantic fancy to imagine her a Queen among her people, one fabled for her wild beauty and passionate nature.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Now convinced that both Artemises are in possession of the other's personality, Lepus says so to William.

"Old Lepus shall pay respects to yon Gypsy Queen and consult her and her clan. Mayhap between us we shall know a counter to this curse, yesno?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent idea," says Henry. "This is no doubt the fae's parting curse, and the Gypsies may very well be able to reverse it. It may be possible to develop a scientific device to transfer them back to their own bodies, but that may exceed my abilities. Still, I shall look into it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

William says little of his whereabouts, save that he wished to clear his head with some physical exercise. He hopes that his absence did not cast any shadow over the evening's merriment (and offers congratulations upon learning of Lepus's victory). On the subject of the two Artemises, he concurs - "We have all remarked on the phenomenon. The events of the battle did at least confirm that Silveroak was the Fae Lady's name. You have spoken of names having power in these matters - would that make a curse easier to reverse?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Now convinced that both Artemises are in possession of the other's personality, Lepus says so to William.

"Old Lepus shall pay respects to yon Gypsy Queen and consult her and her clan. Mayhap between us we shall know a counter to this curse, yesno?"
As the roving band of Gypsies makes its camp upon the great West Lawn, in the open area between the Apple Grove and the Hedge Maze, the woman in question is found directing the activities of her folk. Pleased to meet a new acquaintance of her blood, she engages Lepus in conversation, making use of a mixture of the Romany tongue -- the dialect spoken by the two not exactly the same, given their differing backgrounds -- and ungrammatical but perfectly understandable English. Frowning at the description of the alleged transfer of souls between cat and child, she expresses a desire to provide what little help she can.

"Tell friends I read cards," she concludes.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"An excellent idea," says Henry. "This is no doubt the fae's parting curse, and the Gypsies may very well be able to reverse it. It may be possible to develop a scientific device to transfer them back to their own bodies, but that may exceed my abilities. Still, I shall look into it."
A brief consideration of the problem -- to wit, to effect the copying of the pattern of the galvanic fluid flowing in one brain onto the physical base of another, and vice versa -- would require not only much study and experimentation, but the cooperation of at least one human volunteer, as the situation to be cured involves such a subject. The risks involved in such an undertaking are, unsurprisingly, many and serious.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:William says little of his whereabouts, save that he wished to clear his head with some physical exercise. He hopes that his absence did not cast any shadow over the evening's merriment (and offers congratulations upon learning of Lepus's victory). On the subject of the two Artemises, he concurs - "We have all remarked on the phenomenon. The events of the battle did at least confirm that Silveroak was the Fae Lady's name. You have spoken of names having power in these matters - would that make a curse easier to reverse?"
Having raised this question, it occurs to the adventurers to recall the odd choice of name selected by Georgina, certainly not a person from whom one would expect eccentricities. If inquiry is made as to her choice, she will simply say that it seemed like the right thing to do. It would seem likely that the identity of names -- now, alas, sealed to the infant by the holy rite of christening -- plays a vital role in sealing the affliction.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

To add to their concerns, the adventurers soon learn, via that line of communication provided by the gossip of servants, which seems to travel more quickly than any courier on horseback, of the discovery of the body of the sole constable of Lowhaven (if that person, chosen from the citizenry of that little town by lot, can truly be said to claim that title) in an isolated area not far from the community in question. It was, or so the servants say, in a state which suggests that he was torn apart by a savage beast. The Gypsies, as ever, journeying with a menagerie of trained animals, have come under suspicion.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

William,Exploring the library. INT = 9[dice]0[/dice] There does not appear to be any relevant information about the monument available in Lord Highdark's eccentrically arranged library. Perhaps there might be another way to obtain such?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The Gypsies, as ever, journeying with a menagerie of trained animals, have come under suspicion.
"That may be so," says William of these suspicions, "but I am far more inclined to suspect one of our proven adversaries, such as Miss Ravenscroft and her creation, than newcomers who have nothing to gain by risking our ire."
Vicki,The village priest may know much of local legend, and he should be inclined to believe William's purported reaon for asking (which is not entirely false anyway).
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Leaving his friends to investigate the unfortunate killing of the constable, Lepus suggests to Georgina that it might be a novel distraction for her child to have her cards read (no doubt after crossing certain palms with silver).

If this is agreed upon, he will carry the cat along too, so that the pair can be examined together.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's see if the Gypsies can reverse the curse," says Henry. "The scientific way is far riskier. In the meantime, I shall help look into the constable's death. I'd be ideally suited to examine the body. I too suspect that woman's creatures are the ones responsible."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”