Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Seventh: Clouds of Battle

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Ah," says Henry. "She has assembled a construct of various substances and parts of different bodies and given it a semblance of life by means of this device." In truth, he has considered similar experiments himself, but he has ruled them out in favor of the idea of reanimating a single intact corpse. "Did you see which way it was heading?" He looks around for any tracks or a trail of destruction the creature may have left.
As if speech fails him, Lord Highdark raises a trembling hand, and indicates the broken window of the room, from which it can be seen that the ground below has been depressed in places, as if by a great weight.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus' eyes widen when he beholds the creature. During his wanderings in Bohemia he had heard many arcane legends of the Golem of Prague, but despite witnessing many incredible things he never thought he'd actually meet such a thing.

But is it thus? Aren't Golems supposed to be mute? Does not this fellow speak?

The wanderer extends his hand. "Aye, friend."

He smiles and taps his chest. "My name be Lepus. Has thee a name?"
The being moves its head back and forth, as if confused.

"Nam?"

It then lunges at the proffered victuals with its thick and weighty arm.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Its hand comes nowhere near its goal, instead crashing into a nearby tree of moderate size, which is sent toppling as if by a woodsman's ax.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus dodges to one side as the creature's mighty arm sweeps clumsily past. It reminds the wanderer somewhat of a newborn lamb, still getting used to it's limbs. Has the brute been recently brought into this world?

"Aye, name. What thou art called. I am called Lepus - hast thou no name?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Henry. "I shall seek the creature." He does not intend to destroy it, unless it proves to be hostile. Such a thing does pique his scientific curiosity. He goes back downstairs and heads outside to the spot on the ground where the creature landed below the window in the hopes of picking up its trail.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"The True Names of the Fair Folk are secrets to which I am not privy, as they will never have cause to know me. Nor is she a prize possible for me to obtain. It is the latter suggestion to which I refer. Name the contest, sir, and the stakes, and let us contend for victory."
"Gambling with death has been the course of my life," says William. "Let us retire to a more secluded chamber and discuss terms." Assuming the crow agrees to accompany him to another room, he will bid Ivan to maintain his watch in Georgina and lead the way to his own guest room. Upon arrival, he says, "I could greet you in a manner more appropriate to your station if you would appear to me in a form befitting the beauty of your voice."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: Lepus dodges to one side as the creature's mighty arm sweeps clumsily past. It reminds the wanderer somewhat of a newborn lamb, still getting used to it's limbs. Has the brute been recently brought into this world?

"Aye, name. What thou art called. I am called Lepus - hast thou no name?"
The being's heavy brow wrinkles, as if in deep thought.
Spoiler:
int = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Although its rough countenance betrays much labor of reasoning, to the degree that it may be capable, there is no evident result. It makes another attempt to obtain food, evidently unable to fully comprehend what is said to it.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]1[/dice]
Although not as errant as the previous attempt, the creature is still unable to grasp the victuals. It growls, much like the great cats of tropical climes, and a scowl distorts its ill-made features into a mask of anger.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Thank you," says Henry. "I shall seek the creature." He does not intend to destroy it, unless it proves to be hostile. Such a thing does pique his scientific curiosity. He goes back downstairs and heads outside to the spot on the ground where the creature landed below the window in the hopes of picking up its trail.
It is no difficult feat to trace the creature's meandering path, as it has apparently made no effort to conceal its wanderings. Indeed, were one to deliberately mark one's trail, that another might follow, it could not be done in any more effective manner, albeit one without grace. In short, deep footprints, torn bushes, and fallen limbs of trees lead Doctor North to where the being now stands, facing Lepus, a sound of rage emerging from its throat.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: "Gambling with death has been the course of my life," says William. "Let us retire to a more secluded chamber and discuss terms." Assuming the crow agrees to accompany him to another room, he will bid Ivan to maintain his watch in Georgina and lead the way to his own guest room. Upon arrival, he says, "I could greet you in a manner more appropriate to your station if you would appear to me in a form befitting the beauty of your voice."
The bird accompanies William to his chambers, flying in a graceful and nearly silent manner just over his head. Once settled in the room, and made aware of his request, it melts into a smoke-colored vapor, which grows as if a fire blazed below it, then reforms itself into the figure of a woman, seemingly not yet twenty years of age, arrayed entirely in black, the cut of her silk gown indicating elevated taste. Her black hair is arranged in an elaborate coiffure, held in place by elegantly carved objects, apparently of ivory, or some other pale substance. Her eyes are as dark as her hair, in striking contrast to the extreme whiteness of her skin, achieved without powder.

"You flatter me, sir; a strategy to which I am not entirely immune. Yet I doubt that you look forward to my embrace. If I may introduce myself," she adds with a curtsy, "today I am known as Manea. Shall we decide upon a contest and a prize?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus sighs. Clearly the creature is as ill-coordinated in mind as well as in limb.

"I shall call thee Tom," he declares. "Now let me help thee..."

If the creature allows it, he will gently size it's hand and place the proffered food therein.
Will Lepus hear Henry approaching?,[dice]0[/dice]
Regardless of how stealthy Dr. North attempts to be, Lepus easily hears his approach. He carefully extends his other hand, gesturing his friend to stay back, lest he alarm the creature.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"You flatter me, sir; a strategy to which I am not entirely immune. Yet I doubt that you look forward to my embrace. If I may introduce myself," she adds with a curtsy, "today I am known as Manea. Shall we decide upon a contest and a prize?"
"Indeed the beauty of your contenance does match that of your voice," says William. "And if I may be so bold, as I am fated not to enter your realm for years to come, surely tonight I may embrace you without fear. And thus is the contest I propose: life is ever richest when it is intimate with death. So let us partake of that intimacy. If by morning I can conjure a longing inside you for the warmth and richness of life, you shall leave the folk here to live theirs."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry remains quiet, stays back, and observes the scene. While he has his Force Projector, he sees no reason to use it now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus sighs. Clearly the creature is as ill-coordinated in mind as well as in limb.

"I shall call thee Tom," he declares. "Now let me help thee..."

If the creature allows it, he will gently size it's hand and place the proffered food therein.

Regardless of how stealthy Dr. North attempts to be, Lepus easily hears his approach. He carefully extends his other hand, gesturing his friend to stay back, lest he alarm the creature.
Despite the kindly gestures of the hedge wizard, the creature, frustrated in its attempts to obtain further nourishment (which indicates, by the by, that it requires an extraordinary amount of sustenance, there being evidence of a very large number of unripe apples already consumed), remains in a foul mood. With a cry of rage, it lashes out at Lepus with its large and meaty fist.
Spoiler:
dex = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Fortunately, its aim is no better than before, and Lepus remains unharmed. This failure to strike what it now perceives as an enemy further raises its ire. It lifts both arms high and cries out.

"Muhduh!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Indeed the beauty of your countenance does match that of your voice," says William. "And if I may be so bold, as I am fated not to enter your realm for years to come, surely tonight I may embrace you without fear. And thus is the contest I propose: life is ever richest when it is intimate with death. So let us partake of that intimacy. If by morning I can conjure a longing inside you for the warmth and richness of life, you shall leave the folk here to live theirs."
Spoiler:
Interesting. Seduction is a contest of Charisma vs Wisdom, + 1 for Libertines, + 2 for darkness. CHA = 11, so up to 14. Manea's WIS is 20. In that order: [dice]0[/dice] As expected, both successes, which makes things interesting indeed.
Manea expresses an interests in the embraces of so bold a mortal, although she remains completely in control of her emotions. Extinguishing the room's candles from a distance, simply by a gesture of her alabaster fingers, she approaches William in near total darkness. She presses her lips upon his. They are cold -- so cold! As further intimacies continue, this icy sensation is felt from every part of her body. It is, perhaps, for this reason that William finds himself shivering during their encounter; although other explanations, particularly at the moment of maximum excitement, are plausible. Be that as it may, William now faces the prospect of being judged as a lover.
Spoiler:
contest of dexterity. DEX = 12 and I'll add 3 for Libertine; seems like that would be a skill = 15.
Manea, as expected; has DEX = 20[dice]1[/dice]
Although William is entirely satisfied by this experience, despite the chill that still reaches deep into his bones, Manea, it seems, is difficult to please, at least by a mortal lover.

"I cannot say that your efforts at satisfying me were entirely successful. No discredit to you, of course; few are able to endure such an encounter with me at all. Thus I must insist that I have triumphed in our contest, and I claim my prize. Shall you name the one who will journey with me, or shall I?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry remains quiet, stays back, and observes the scene. While he has his Force Projector, he sees no reason to use it now.
Such reticence may be a matter to be reconsidered, given the creature's aggressiveness and fury.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I cannot say that your efforts at satisfying me were entirely successful. No discredit to you, of course; few are able to endure such an encounter with me at all. Thus I must insist that I have triumphed in our contest, and I claim my prize. Shall you name the one who will journey with me, or shall I?"
"You are generous in victory," says William. "And it was a singular honour to be granted the attempt."
OOC:   What became of Miss Rye? Is she still alive and locked up somewhere in the house?
If she is,William will say "[color=#800000]There is one here named Miss Rye. She is as guilty as the Fae Lady of whom I spoke, and those within these walls would be well rid of her.[/color]"
If not,William will say "[color=#800000]Poor Elizabeth Altumber already counts herself as one of the dead. To go with you may be a mercy for her.[/color]"

OOC:   Should I add one to William's perversity for this?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is that 'murder' or 'mother'?" calls out Henry, holding his Force Projector ready. "Do you seek your mother? I know where she is!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Aye, mother!"

As Lepus is dodging the creature's swing, it takes a second to register what Dr. North is saying.

"Hold! Thou knowest what poor wench bore this fellow?" he hisses, hurriedly backing away from the 'golem'.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She did not give birth to him," says Henry, "but she is his mother nonetheless. Miss Ravenscroft made him in her laboratory."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Pssht! That harridan and her 'science'!"

Lepus turns to the monster.

"Aye, thy mother lives yonder! Come, so that she may face her creation!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:"You are generous in victory," says William. "And it was a singular honour to be granted the attempt.
Spoiler:
Adding one to Perversity seems appropriate.
William recalls one currently closely confined within the manor home whose mind, if not body, are already lost to her.

"There is one here named Miss Rye. She is as guilty as the Fae Lady of whom I spoke, and those within these walls would be well rid of her."

"A wise choice," Manea replies, "as she was destined to enter my realm very soon in any case. Until we meet again, then."

With that, she is simply not there any longer. Once the candles are lit once more, it may be observed that a vase of local wildflowers, placed there to add cheer to the guest room, now contains only the withered remains of stems, petals fallen to the floor and grown brown.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”