Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrop

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Directed once again to make use of his mighty strength, greater than that of Samson before he was shorn of his locks, Gog batters the opposing wall with one giant fist. His other hand is wrapped around what is now the statue of the Gorgon, its huge grasp encircling that figure's slender waist with ease. He is able to carry the statue without diminishing his ability to carry out other feats of strength, despite the fact that, apparently made of marble, it must be of considerable weight.

Once the pounding sound of Gog's blows on the stone ceases, their task completed, the mystery of the second hidden chamber is not yet revealed, this being due to the fact that the bulk of the room, obviously much larger than the haunt of the Gorgon, is lost to sight, remaining in total darkness save for a small area illuminated from the corridor. The clicking sound is now more evident to the ear, and seems to be the rhythmic tapping of multiple hard objects upon rock. As no being emerges from within, it appears that only one bold enough to enter with a source of light will be able to discover what is yet unseen.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Vincent produces a mystical Flame from his fingertips and makes ready to enter.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Armed with the black blade, William precedes the stalwart Frenchman into the chamber, looking around to see what the light illuminates.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus follows closely, content for the gallant soldier and fantastical sorcerer to take the lead.

Apart from the occasional muttered gibberish, he keeps his own counsel; searching the dusty attics of his mind for any myths and legends about underground entities and obsidian blades. Mayhap the tapping be the rhythm of the little folk of legend, mining for precious baubles, as is thier wont?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry follows along, knowing that his medical or scientific skills may be needed.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

What is first revealed, within a chamber larger than might first be suspected, is a crude stone altar, stained with pale brown blotches inevitably suggesting blood from sacrificed beasts. None of these appear to be fresh. Beyond this, half-hidden in shadow, is a similarly primitive stone structure of unusual design. It resembles a throne, but one in which the base of the seat has been replaced by a thick, rugged, horizontal cylinder. It is evident what purpose this serves; claws, resembling those of a raptor of extreme size, are wrapped around it, supporting a creature who is as yet only dimly seen. The movement of these claws, as the being moves about upon its perch, produces the clicking sound heard within. At this distance, all that can as yet be told about the creature is that it appears to be partly avian -- the claws, as said, as well as what seem to be feathers, glowing in rich shades of scarlet, emerald, and ruby, whenever a bit of light strikes them -- and partly reptilian, as there are scales among the feathers of an equally jewel-like nature. As it is taller than an ordinary man, nearly reaching to the height of Gog, the upper part of its body remains in darkness. Most peculiar of all, from its unseen head spoken words emerge, in a voice somehow soft yet commanding. As to what meaning these words possess, one cannot say, as they are in a language unknown even to those of the party most familiar with the many tongues of humanity. The creature otherwise remains on its perch, neither approaching nor withdrawing from its visitors.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Even one so wise in eldritch lore as Lepus is perplexed by the creature. Perhaps it is akin to the feathered serpent once worshipped by the natives in certain parts of the Americas? The wanderer knows little of such matters, but on his travels once spent an instructive few hours in the company of a Jesuit priest who used to preach among the peoples of the Yucatan. He learned a number of useful phrases in their native tongue.
INT 15 +gift for languages,[dice]0[/dice]
He hazards a few words of greeting in this strange language, also adding some Fae salutations for good measure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry ponders what manner of creature this may be from his knowledge of natural philosophy and legend.
OOC,Intelligence roll (16 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 17) to identify the creature: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Even one so wise in eldritch lore as Lepus is perplexed by the creature. Perhaps it is akin to the feathered serpent once worshipped by the natives in certain parts of the Americas? The wanderer knows little of such matters, but on his travels once spent an instructive few hours in the company of a Jesuit priest who used to preach among the peoples of the Yucatan. He learned a number of useful phrases in their native tongue.
INT 15 +gift for languages,[dice]229537:0[/dice]
He hazards a few words of greeting in this strange language, also adding some Fae salutations for good measure.
After being addressed in this manner, the being replies; not in the tongue of the aboriginal inhabitants of what is now part of New Spain, as might be expected, but rather in the perfectly intelligible English of a gentleman of some breeding and education. Indeed, the voice seems to be that of a young man of refined manners.

"Welcome. Have you brought the sacrifice?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry ponders what manner of creature this may be from his knowledge of natural philosophy and legend.
OOC,Intelligence roll (16 + 1[Scientific Knowledge] = 17) to identify the creature: [dice]229558:0[/dice]
To be sure, the creature resembles more one of the chimeras dreamt of by the ancients rather than any extant beast of nature. However, from readings of the curious lore of the original inhabitants of the semitropical regions of the New World, Doctor North is reminded of the deity known as, for obvious reasons, as the Feathered Serpent.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus bows deferentially to the creature.

“I beg thee forgive the curiosity of an old man. Prithee, how came thee to this land? Thou art from across the seas I wager. Dost thou receive sacrifice often? From whom dost thou take tribute?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"This is Quetzalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent," says Henry. "He's a deity of the Aztec people, who lived in the Americas before they were conquered by the Spanish, which means he's a long way from home. Perhaps that blade is the sacrificial dagger."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus bows deferentially to the creature.

“I beg thee forgive the curiosity of an old man. Prithee, how came thee to this land? Thou art from across the seas I wager. Dost thou receive sacrifice often? From whom dost thou take tribute?”
"Do the limits of time and space mean anything to a god?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: "This is Quetalcoatl, the Feathered Serpent," says Henry. "He's a deity of the Aztec people, who lived in the Americas before they were conquered by the Spanish, which means he's a long way from home. Perhaps that blade is the sacrificial dagger."

"Indeed, sir. I trust all is in readiness? It has been long indeed since I have feasted on a human heart."

The being's serpentine neck bends down a bit, revealing the surprising fact that its head is neither that of a serpent nor that of a bird, but instead resembles that of a handsome young man, with pale blonde hair and almost perfectly white skin.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can see why the Aztecs mistook Cortez for you," says Henry. "That proved to be a very unfortunate mistake for them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"I fear you will have to look elsewhere for your heart," says William, unwilling to dissemble with this pagan beast. He steadies his grip on the black blade.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I can see why the Aztecs mistook Cortez for you," says Henry. "That proved to be a very unfortunate mistake for them."

"As well as for myself, sir. Is there a more forlorn figure than a deity without worshipers? Thus must I travel hither and yon upon this dusty world, seeking those few who remember me. With a thought, I will be able to fly from this place and seek my necessary fare elsewhere. If you prefer not to supply with me with my very special victuals, I shall not quarrel with you; when did god ever deign to battle mere mortal? However, once I am gone, you will find it impossible to leave this place, unless you possess the same powers as I.

"Forgive my loquaciousness. Let me speak plainly. Provide me with a human heart, and be free; refuse, and remain here for the rest of your lives."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:"I fear you will have to look elsewhere for your heart," says William, unwilling to dissemble with this pagan beast. He steadies his grip on the black blade.
"Allow me to repay your lack of enthusiasm with a prophecy. You will die in the land where I once reigned over all other deities."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Human hearts are in very short supply in this place," says Henry. "I'm still using my own, and I doubt my friends here would be willing to part with theirs. I'm not sure if our enormous companion even qualifies as human. My heart is not mine to give you in any case. I gave it to my wife a long time ago, and it is her property. Our children also own shares in it as well. One thing is clear to me, though: Captain Palliser here at least will emerge alive from this place. For if he does not, your prophecy cannot come to pass. If he lives out the rest of his life here, he surely cannot die there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The being chuckles in an all-too-human fashion.

"I wondered if any among you might be wise enough to detect that paradox. I confess that, like many of my fellow deities, such as my dear Greek sister, I am fond of turning and twisting the minds of mortals in order to test their wits. Now that you have seen through my, shall we say, white lie, I give you this reward. There is, indeed, another way out, if you can find it. (As you have already deduced, at least the bold captain shall.)"

With the suddenness of a bolt of lightning, a blinding light appears beyond the deity. Before anyone else can react, Captain Palliser rushes towards it and is soon gone. In less than a heart's beat, the blazing illumination has vanished, replaced by what appear to be three stone doors, such as might have been constructed by ancient peoples from bare rock. Upon each are words of fire, such as might have appeared upon the wall during Belshazzar's feast.

Upon the first: THIS DOOR LEADS TO FREEDOM

Upon the second: THIS DOOR DOES NOT LEAD TO FREEDOM

Upon the third: THE FIRST DOOR DOES NOT LEAD TO FREEDOM

"I see that your impetuous friend rushed through the correct door by trusting to, literally, blind chance, as none of you could have possibly seen anything in such dazzling light. The rest of you may choose to rely on Lady Fortune as well, although I know her well, and she is a fickle goddess indeed. Choosing the wrong door would have consequences which you would find most unpleasant.

"Oh, did I mention that one, and only one, of the statements written on the doors is true? The other two are false."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”