Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrophe

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrophe; Or, Mysteries Unsolved

Given the destruction visited upon Highdark Hall by the series of tremors, it is a relief to discover that the injuries received by servants and family alike are of a minor nature. Doctor North's services are welcome by those suffering from bruises and small wounds. There is, to be sure, much chaos and excited conversation among those gathered without the stately home, the moods of those assembled varying from fear to distraction to excitement, as if this event were excuse for merry-making. Notable among these are Lord Highdark, being comforted by son and wife, and Georgina, receiving the same tender treatment from husband and feline companion. (Said beast, with all the cunning of her kind, having found a secure hiding place at the start of the disaster.)

In time, some of the servants, bound more to duty than their peers, enter the manor home and begin the long and tedious process of repairing what can be and discarding what cannot. After some wandering about aimlessly, the madwoman encounters the twins, who act as if this situation were no more than a holiday. Upon catching sight of the doll Poppy, she attempts to wrest it from their grasp; a task which proves impossible, as if the children possess more than the strength expected from those of such a young age, and which leads to a serious degree of conflict, the three rolling about of the ground and striking at each other with hand and foot.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Fifth: After the Catastrop

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If she gets the doll," whispers Henry to his companions, "the twins may finally be free of its influence. One way or the other, we should put a stop to this before they get hurt."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus stands back as the trio fight over the doll, wary of it's pernicious influence. Deciding that it is better for the twins to be free of the thing, he shouts something in the faerie tongue in the hopes of distracting Poppy.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]"The Ancient One has been bested oh Fae! The bride has been jilted and thou schemes have come to nought! Dost thou not wish to embrace to thy former ally?"[/color][/i]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus stands back as the trio fight over the doll, wary of it's pernicious influence. Deciding that it is better for the twins to be free of the thing, he shouts something in the faerie tongue in the hopes of distracting Poppy.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]"The Ancient One has been bested oh Fae! The bride has been jilted and thou schemes have come to nought! Dost thou not wish to embrace to thy former ally?"[/color][/i]
Spoiler:
CHA = 11 + 3 for Attractive to Fairies = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Onlookers may observe that the trio of combatants cease their battle of a sudden; although, given the circumstances, they may have been paying little, if any, attention to the melee. Be that as it may, the twins and their aunt stand still, in a state of apparent calm, the poppet dangling from their hands, as it is currently grasped by all; one twin holding on to each arm, and its head in the fist of the madwoman. It almost seems as if they are deliberately holding it in a way which causes its blank porcelain eyes to face in the direction of Lepus.
Spoiler:
Thou see where none have eyes, hear where none have ears. Speak, then, of what thou desire.
Great power shall be thine if thou doth serve me faithfully.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus bows, taking the faerie’s words as a compliment.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]”Old Lepus shall speak truly oh fae; thou knowest when falsehoods be spoken. Your slave I shall not be, for that way lies madness and a grave in the attic. Instead old Lepus shall offer thee a deal: free these three from your thrall and we shall seek to free thee from the prison that is yon doll. Dost thou not wish to return to thine own kind?”[/color][/i]
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

The family are tending to one another, but the last William saw of the French magician, he had suffered grievous injury - thus his first act is to check on Vincent and see how he fares. After that, it would appear prudent to report to Lord and Lady Highdark what occurred beneath the house.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry observes, Ivan at his side, ready to assist Lepus if he needs help, but deferring to the strange man's expertise.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Vincent is recovering as well as might be expected, given the grievous injury wrought by the creature. Upon relating the adventurer's experiences, Lord Highdark is quick to dismiss them as mere fancy; Lady Highdark, on the other hand, directs a few of the hardier menservants to seal up the pit, and construct another one, in a different location, to accommodate kitchen offal, night soil, and other such offensive matter. This work will, of course, take some days.

Young Harold, showing much interest in the strange tale, hypothesizes that there must be some connection among the pit, which is known to contain a natural source of flowing water -- the reason it was chosen for its purpose -- the Misty Tarn, the Grotto Pool, and the Worried Stream that flows between them.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus bows, taking the faerie’s words as a compliment.
Victoria,[i][color=#008000]”Old Lepus shall speak truly oh fae; thou knowest when falsehoods be spoken. Your slave I shall not be, for that way lies madness and a grave in the attic. Instead old Lepus shall offer thee a deal: free these three from your thrall and we shall seek to free thee from the prison that is yon doll. Dost thou not wish to return to thine own kind?”[/color][/i]
Spoiler:
How doth thou propose to work such? 'Tis a purpose not easily won, and fraught with peril for mortal flesh.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus shrugs, as if mortal peril was but a trifle.
Victoria,[color=#008000][i]“All lives end sooner or later fae lady. ‘tis the challenge of such a task as I propose that makes a life worth the living. Wilt thou be my companion, mayhap my friend, and embark upon this on equal terms? Dost thou release these three and travel with Old Lepus?”[/i][/color]
The hedge wizard holds out his hand, as if to be handed the doll.
Last edited by jp1885 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Never friend, for none of mortal kind may claim such with I. Yet may thou be of use for a time, 'til, as thy holy men say when joining hand to hand under thy God, 'death does us part;' though whose death this may be none may yet say. Come, then, and be as blade to swordsman; a thing to be cared for so long as it proves its worth to the wielder.
With little concern for that which they formerly held on to with the fierceness of wild beasts, the twins leave the doll called Poppy upon the ground, ready to be taken up by whosoever wishes. For a moment, their aunt gazes at it with with more intensity than would be thought proper; yet this state of seeming monomania soon passes, and the lady takes the two children into the manor home, one clinging to each hand.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Aye, 'tis agreed."

Grinning, Lepus turns to his companions.

"The fae lady and I have reached an accord. She hath freed yon females from her thrall in exchange for the company of Old Lepus. 'twill be my task to free her from her prison," he nods at the doll, "during the course of our adventures."

He moves to pick up the doll, but pauses.

"Be on the alert, fine companions, lest she plays me false."

Stooping, he picks up Poppy and, if nothing untoward happens, stuffs her into a pocket so that her head is poking out.

"I trust you be comfortable, fae lady? How may I address thee now we are together?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"A well done step," William says of Lepus's bargain. "As to our other matter, I believe there may be something in young Harold's suggestion of a connection between the pit beneath the house, the Tarn and the Grotto. It may be that we can snag our shrunken adversary there."

When he has a chance to speak to Lord Dunwich and Vincent outside the Gypsy's hearing, he will say, "Elizabeth Altumber was willing to go to the creature as its bride, while she was yet in thrall to the doll. That may simply have been her madness, but we must consider the possibility that the spirit in the doll is in league with with the other. But I fear that to raise the subject in Lepus's hearing would allow the spirit hear it too."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, at last the Altumbers are free of its influence," says Henry, "We shall find a way to free the fae lady as well. For now, we should proceed to the Grotto. If the Ancient One is not there, we can trace the course of the water."

"That is a good point," says Henry when he speaks to William later. "We shall keep it mind, but not give voice to it where she can hear."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote: "Aye, 'tis agreed."

Grinning, Lepus turns to his companions.

"The fae lady and I have reached an accord. She hath freed yon females from her thrall in exchange for the company of Old Lepus. 'twill be my task to free her from her prison," he nods at the doll, "during the course of our adventures."

He moves to pick up the doll, but pauses.

"Be on the alert, fine companions, lest she plays me false."

Stooping, he picks up Poppy and, if nothing untoward happens, stuffs her into a pocket so that her head is poking out.

"I trust you be comfortable, fae lady? How may I address thee now we are together?"
Spoiler:
Wouldst think to have true name so easy bespoke? Nay, fore that knowledge be given thee stone will burn and mountain walk. Think thyself fortunate enough to draw breath whilst many live not. On!
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party makes their way to the Grotto whilst the Altumbers and their servants labor to bring order out of chaos as best they may. The place is much as it was before, save that the many flowers strewn about have faded; as indeed, we all must. There are many places where the wax of candles long extinguished covers the smooth and slippery rocks bordering the pool of water in the center of the Grotto. It is not immediately evident to the observer in what manner the pool is filled, or whither its waters are discharged, it appearing quite still at first glance, closer investigation required to determine anything else.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus nods.

"Poppy it be then."

He follows the others to the grotto.

"Should we venture onto the Misty Tarn," he says conversationally, "Mayhap the rune found in yon Wormy Caves will drive away the restless spirits that lurk on the isle."

He joins in the search, looking for any unusual signs, runes or traces of the Ancient One. Once the cave is searched, he will peer into the pool.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let us get a closer look," says Henry. "We should examine the pool and the surrounding area for any trace of the fell thing."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
dex rolls for all, first of all. Henry = 10, Ivan = 9, William = 12, Vincent = 9, Lepus = 15. In that order, [dice]0[/dice]
Whilst approaching the seemingly still pool, Doctor North and Lepus both slide upon the slippery rocks and fall into the water. (Perhaps the learned Doctor's curiosity got the best of him, and the need to retain a firm hold on the poppet distracted Lepus from taking sufficient care.) The water proves to be very cold, almost as if it were ice rather than liquid. Emerging from the pool with the aid of their companions, the ill-matched pair have, at the cost of sopping wet clothing, at least determined that the water is supplied through many small springs, located just below the surface, producing a not unpleasant sensation whilst submerged. In addition to this, it is possible to tell that a large opening to one side of the pool leads to what must be quite a large cavern indeed, the gentle flow of water indicating that the cavern is only partly filled by the outpour.
Spoiler:
WIS rolls only for those who were actually in the water; North = 11, Lepus = 18[dice]1[/dice]
In addition to these discoveries, the experience that Lepus possesses with otherworldly charms and enchantments allows him to determine that some sort of spell has been cast upon the opening to the cavern, which allows one to pass through it for some distance without the need for respiration.

Whilst discussing these discoveries, the party cannot help but notice that Doctor North and Lepus are shivering and sneezing, obviously afflicted with ague from the cold water.
Spoiler:
In this universe, being cold and wet is the cause of a bad cold. Anyone who enters the water, by choice or accident, reduce CON by one until able to rest for several days while undergoing a treatment of warm baths and inhalation of steam.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Teeth chattering, Lepus relays his discovery to the others.

”We should investigate, yesno? Though mayhap a long stout rope would be useful in order to climb out, him?”

Return to “Ghastly Affair”