Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Third: A Plague of Vanishi

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry doses the huge cat with the antidote to bring it back down to size.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

This being applied in the proper manner whilst the creature sleeps, the adventurers witness the extraordinary sight of the animal shrinking before their eyes. From where the added mass of Augmented beings arrives, or to where the lost mass of Diminished beings goes, is something of a mystery, even to she who invented the elixirs producing the effect. Perhaps it travels between the Material realm and the Ethereal realm. No matter; in any case, soon Artemis -- for so it is -- is back to her normal condition. After a while, she awakes, stretches her back in the way of her kind, and stares at the party, mewling and purring from time to time in an unconcerned way.

At a quiet moment, the adventurers can hear voices coming from the huntsman's cottage, which lies at no great distance, but cannot make out what is said.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

If Ivan is with the party, William asks him to take the cat - it wouldn't be well for it to fall prey to the mundane dangers of the estate after being restored. Then he suggests the adventurers investigate the lodge.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus agrees, trying, as they approach the dwelling, to make out what's been said with his keen hearing.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Ivan, bring the cat," says Henry. He knows the mighty Russian could have carried the cat even in its enlarged form, so it should be no problem for him now. "Be gentle with it. Let's head for the lodge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As they near the cottage, the adventurers can clearly hear a voice, which they recognize as that of the Reverend Mister Frye.

"My dear children," he begins, as yet addressing persons unknown, "I have agreed, against my own better judgement, mind you, to meet with you here. I am sympathetic to your plight, believe me, but what you ask of me goes against the rules of decent society, which one ignores at one's peril. Besides," he adds with a light chuckle, "there are no witnesses!"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Outside, Vincent emerges from the mist to join the others. "I think Mademoiselle Georgina may be going to do something foolish, non?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"'tis a prelude to a wedding methinks."

Lepus grins.

"If it be who old Lepus reckon it be, our hosts will not be happy..."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It sounds so," says William. "Should we allow it or prevent it? We have at least acquired the perfect distraction or gift as the need may be." He nods in the direction of Ivan and Artemis.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of all the forces in the universe, none is stronger than true love," says Henry. "I don't think anyone can stop them from marrying if they truly desire it. They'll find a way even if they're stopped here, and I'm not inclined to do so. Let us enter. Georgina will be delighted to see Artemis again."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus chuckles.

"Aye, let us go in then."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the group enters, much to the surprise of those within, they discover, as expected, Georgina and the foundling Henry standing before the clergyman. The Reverend Mister Frye seems nonplussed, blinking rapidly and glancing all about the room, as if seeking counsel. Henry frowns at the newcomers, his hands tightened into fists. After an initial gasp at the entry of the party, and the paling of her complexion from a delicate rosy shade to nearly white, Georgina sees the cat, and has eyes for nothing else. Artemis and her mistress run at each other, the animal leaping into the young woman's arms and licking her face with many a loud purr.

"Dear, dear Artemis," she cries, "where have you been, my precious one?"

Whilst this tender reunion is in progress, Henry may be observed retreating slowly, step by step, into a darker corner of the room.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mindful of both his own role in this couple's troubles, and Lord Dunwich's observation (and the fact that he rather liked Henry on their first encounter), William begins with, "I understand you are in need of witnesses."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Being of similar blood, Lepus seeks to calm the foundling. He sidles up to the young man, addressing him in a Gypsy cant.

"'tis not our wish to stop thee being wed."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed," says Henry with a smile. "There are more than enough now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mollified by their generous offer to bear witness to his nuptials, Henry makes confession, "I thought you sent here by Lord Highdark to drive me off, and I was prepared to fight. Forgive me for misjudging your motivations, gentlemen." He also expresses gratitude to Lepus in the Romany tongue, which he speaks with a noticeable non-Gypsy accent, having been brought up among such since early childhood.

"Bless my soul," the Reverend Mister Frye remarks, "although I am not entirely convinced of the wisdom of these two young people, yet I cannot deny the purity of their affection. As I seem to be outnumbered," he continues with a chuckle, "I have no choice but to surrender. Let us proceed."

After the familiar ceremony is performed, and the papers signed in the proper fashion, it will be discovered that Henry, in clever fashion, made announcement of the banns are required by law, but in a most subtle fashion, as to not draw the attention of the Highdark family.

There is much merry talk as man and wife are presented to the party. It soon grows more serious, as the practicalities of married life present themselves.

"I shall go with you wherever you may lead me," Georgina promises her new husband, "but what about Papa and Mama and my dear brother and sisters? Shall we announce ourselves, or run off without a word?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I shouldn't think that you'd want to leave without saying farewell," says Henry. "If you announce yourselves, the rest of us can accompany you. There is nothing your parents can do about it, as the deed is done. Whom God has joined, let no man put asunder. They may disinherit you, of course, but I doubt that's a concern for you. You clearly love each other more than you care about an inheritance."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"I think Monsieur Harold will not be much pleased, non?" Vincent ventures. "He is already a little angry with us."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"That is so," concedes William. "We may however have reached a point where it would be difficult to proceed further in our investigation without the cooperation of Lord Highdark. Obtaining that would require disclosing the truth, including what happened to Harold. That may at least mollify his Lordship."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus shrugs.

"The lord and lady of the house be hardly unblemished souls, yesno? Also if we be cast out, then they will be at the mercy of whatever has been using the potions; not to mention the faerie that speaketh through the doll."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”