Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Second: An Unexpected Arri

Post by Mr. Handy »

"These other medallions each have blessings inscribed on them," says Henry, "but the blessings are just words. These medallions have no intrinsic power. Clearly they did not protect their owners."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

"This one will protect against poison, but not, it seems, being hacked to death."

Lepus pockets the amulet, grinning ruefully.

"The good pilgrims will not have much use for it in Heaven, yesno? Come, a grave we have to dig."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Indeed," says Henry. "Ivan is more than capable of the job. Let us go."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"The Elixir of Diminution, if applied in the proper amount, might reduce such to the size of mice. The Elixir of Augmentation, similarly made use of, would perhaps increase a beast of this kind to the size of a bear."
"That is certainly large enough to have produced the traces we discovered," says William. "It sounds like a remarkable discovery. There are many times we might have been grateful for such a thing on the battlefield."
"Indeed. A pity that my remaining portions of both have vanished, and it will require many years of careful work to prepare a further supply. If only I knew who could have absconded with them!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party proceeds with their pious, if melancholy, errand. A simple grave is dug, quiet prayers are said, and the remains are laid to rest. Requiescat in pace.

Once the ceremony is performed, and the adventurers prepare themselves to make their way to chapel, if so they choose, curious sounds are heard, consisting of deep growls and loud chattering. It seems to be coming from beneath the ground, of all places.

To the astonishment of all, a beast the size of a large man emerges from the earth, burrowing its way out of the graveyard with large, curved claws. In all ways save its unusual size, it resembles a common badger. It snarls aggressively and, as if drawn to him in some unholy manner, charges at the Reverend Mister Frye.
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 2 = 11[dice]0[/dice]
That worthy gentleman cries out in fright, turns away as if to run off, but collapses to the ground in a swoon. The unnatural creature flies at him, intent on attack.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Ivan, protect the Reverend!" calls Henry, leveling his pistol at the giant badger and firing. Ivan draws his sword and rushes into the fray.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Indeed. A pity that my remaining portions of both have vanished, and it will require many years of careful work to prepare a further supply. If only I knew who could have absconded with them!"
"Who in the house knows the means to enter this room?" asks William.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

For a moment, Lepus gapes in wonderment at the huge creature, but quickly leaps into action.
While Henry and Ivan tackle the beast, he attempts to drag the prone Reverend Frye behind a gravestone.
If he succeeds in this, he will draw his dagger and crouch over the cleric in a defensive stance (mayhap the wanderer's miasma of personal odours will act as particularly pungent smelling salts).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Indeed. A pity that my remaining portions of both have vanished, and it will require many years of careful work to prepare a further supply. If only I knew who could have absconded with them!"
"Who in the house knows the means to enter this room?" asks William.
"Other than myself, and, now, you and your companions, that information would be limited to Lord Highdark, of course, so that he may have access to my person when the mood is upon him. It is a truism, however, that masters have no secrets from their servants, so I imagine a clever and curious person could discover such."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
DEX = 10 - 2 for the badger's armor class = 8[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North's aim is true!
Spoiler:
damage bonus of 1[dice]1[/dice]
The bullet strikes deep. Blood gushes out from the body of the creature.
Spoiler:
the animal these number of hit points:[dice]2[/dice]
With one final piercing shriek, the loathsome beast lies still.

After some time passes, the Reverend Mister Frye regains his sense, to find himself lying in the ministering arms of Lepus.

"What . . what happened?" he asks weakly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An extremely large badger attacked you, Reverend," says Henry, stating the simple facts. "I shot it dead."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Other than myself, and, now, you and your companions, that information would be limited to Lord Highdark, of course, so that he may have access to my person when the mood is upon him. It is a truism, however, that masters have no secrets from their servants, so I imagine a clever and curious person could discover such."
"Clever and curious enough to both discover the chamber, and to take the elixirs. How many transformations could the missing materials have worked? And did anything else go missing?"
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Aye, 'twas a fine shot."

As Lepus helps the bewildered cleric to his feet he looks at the giant badger and sighs sadly.

"Poor beast..."

With his dagger still in hand, he approaches the monstrous creature and performs a minute inspection of the carcass.

"Still, no point in mourning the loss of what is gone, yesno? Old Lepus wonders how it came to be so big... Heh, and mayhap the odd tooth or claw can be of use in our ministrations, eh monsieur le sorcier?"

He grins at Vincent as he hacks off a badger claw, muttering his apologies as he does so.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Other than myself, and, now, you and your companions, that information would be limited to Lord Highdark, of course, so that he may have access to my person when the mood is upon him. It is a truism, however, that masters have no secrets from their servants, so I imagine a clever and curious person could discover such."
"Clever and curious enough to both discover the chamber, and to take the elixirs. How many transformations could the missing materials have worked? And did anything else go missing?"
"I suppose the elixirs might produce three or four transformations apiece, depending on the nature of the creatures to which they were applied. As far as I have been able to determine, nothing else has vanished."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the Reverend Mister Frye takes several steps away from the beast, trembling a bit, the others make such observations as they can. As far as can be determined, its body is in all aspects, save size, of normal structure. It is notable that its behavior was more aggressive than one would expect from one of its kind. Although badgers are not known for their sweet dispositions, this was in particular apparently saw fit to out-Herod Herod, as the Bard put it.

After regaining a certain measure of calm, the deacon rushes to chapel, where family and servants are gathered awaiting service. The guests may attend if they wish, or may spend their time in whatsoever manner they see fit.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would like to attend services," says Henry, "though I'd like to preserve the remains of the badger, which Ivan should be able to manage. Later I can study them in the laboratory and try to discover why it grew to such prodigious size and why it was so aggressive."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I suppose the elixirs might produce three or four transformations apiece, depending on the nature of the creatures to which they were applied. As far as I have been able to determine, nothing else has vanished."
"Then we may presume that the thief wanted them specifically. And moreover that he had the knowledge to understand what they were."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus will spend a few moments meditating at the grave of the pilgrims and then, with the giant badger dead, will head back to the Wormy Caves to investigate it's lair.

He will navigate by way of his lantern and talisman of Know Direction.

Mayhap he will peek in on the fox cubs along en-route, but will not disturb them unnecessarily.

If nothing of interest can be found within the lair, he will find a quiet spot and rest (his recent incantation having sapped his strength a little).
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Vincent attends the chapel service to pay his respects.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I suppose the elixirs might produce three or four transformations apiece, depending on the nature of the creatures to which they were applied. As far as I have been able to determine, nothing else has vanished."
"Then we may presume that the thief wanted them specifically. And moreover that he had the knowledge to understand what they were."
"Indeed. Perhaps you and your companions would be so kind as to investigate the matter, as the person responsible would no doubt go to ground were I to make inquiries myself."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”