Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the Second: An Unexpected Arri

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Rooter wrote:Vincent attends the chapel service to pay his respects.
Spoiler:
The Reverend Mister Frye being a cleric of True Innocence, those who attend the service obtain one Faith point, used to reattempt one unsuccessful roll of the dice, due to the inspiration his piety provides.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I would like to attend services," says Henry, "though I'd like to preserve the remains of the badger, which Ivan should be able to manage. Later I can study them in the laboratory and try to discover why it grew to such prodigious size and why it was so aggressive."
"You go, I work," Ivan suggests. Perhaps this is due, in part, to the fact that he would be more used to the ceremonies of the Russian church than those of the English.

In any case, samples of the creature are obtained and, with as much alacrity as possible, preserved in spirits of wood. If one may peer into the future, one might see that further experimentation will elicit the information that the animal's blood contained a small amount of a strange substance, not easily identified. Furthermore, this substance appears to have distorted the beast's brain, changing its shape and nature of its convolutions.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

jp1885 wrote:
Lepus will spend a few moments meditating at the grave of the pilgrims and then, with the giant badger dead, will head back to the Wormy Caves to investigate it's lair.

He will navigate by way of his lantern and talisman of Know Direction.

Mayhap he will peek in on the fox cubs along en-route, but will not disturb them unnecessarily.

If nothing of interest can be found within the lair, he will find a quiet spot and rest (his recent incantation having sapped his strength a little).
The kits are seen being nursed by their mother, who yips at the intruder, but does not leave her brood. All else seems as it was before, with the green glow formerly observed neither brighter nor dimmer than before.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Indeed. Perhaps you and your companions would be so kind as to investigate the matter, as the person responsible would no doubt go to ground were I to make inquiries myself."
"It would my honour to do so, Miss Ravenscroft," says William. "I will pass on what you have told me. In the meantime, perhaps you would be willing to give some thought as to who in the household might have learning enough to identify these elixirs from among all your other creations - you have a much longer acquaintance with this place than we. For now, I shall bid you good day."

Taking his leave of Miss Ravenscroft (and idly wondering whether she too might make a intriguing conquest), William makes his way to the chapel where the others were bound.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by jp1885 »

Lepus chuckles, content that the foxes are safe with their mother. He presses on to the larger, rune-lined chamber and takes the larger tunnel that presumably led to the badger's set. He moves cautiously, listening for any signs of movement, just in case the badger that attacked them was not one and the same as the occupant of this lair.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry finds the service inspiring, and he thinks that Elizabeth would have enjoyed it had she been here. But of course, she would not have enjoyed some of the other happenings at Highdark Hall, not to mention that traveling would take a lot out of her. He resolves to tell her about the sermon upon his return home and makes a mental note to write about it in his diary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Lepus does not discover any evidence of any other creature inhabiting the cave.

All seems more or less quiet about the place for a day or so, despite the poorly hid animosity between Lord and Lady Highdark, as well as the mysterious disappearance of Miss Ravenscroft's peculiar elixirs. Georgina has managed to pay a brief, secret visit to her beloved Henry, a fact entrusted to the adventurers in grateful whispers. Despite this joy, however, there is another worry which troubles her innocent, sensitive soul.
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please continue onto Book the Second, Chapter the Third.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”