Post by SunlessNick »

"A good idea," says William.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

With the help of a servant skilled in carpentry -- and, fortunately, not one of an inquisitive nature -- such an apparatus is assembled by the middle of the afternoon the next day. It proves to have been a wise precaution to procure much rope, as the bucket is lowered a very great distance, into impenetrable darkness, until it can be felt to have reached the bottom. It requires much time and effort to raise it again. It seems that the bucket was unmolested during its time below. It returns full of greenish, foul-smelling water, full of vegetable matter as well as gelatinous objects of irregular size and shape. Some of these move about, as if under their own power, although no organs can be discerned in their soft, slimy, protean forms.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Meanwhile, Vincent seeks out the more edifying company of Miss Ravenscroft, and relates the previous day's discoveries. "So you see, mademoiselle, there is evil here. The others are men of the material world but I think you cannot catch such evil like a fish, non? And some presence at the stones years ago which may be linked. There must be something in the history of this house and its people to draw such beings and I wonder if the answer may be found in the sealed rooms. But his lordship has forbidden entry! You are familiar with this building, mademoiselle, what do you suggest?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

At the same time, William will take a walk with Georgina and pose a similar question. "It is true that your father has ordered against entering that part of the house, and naturally I would not suggest you going against him. Nevertheless, your perceptive nature has proven a match to your beauty, and find myself bound to believe your accounts of the apparitions you have seen - and it seems that if a cause for them is not apparent elsewhere, then it may be there. I am sure you are acquainted enough with all the ways of this house to know of a way it might be investigated without direct disobedience."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry goes to the laboratory, the one that Mary Ravenscroft had mentioned using, to conduct scientific analysis on the substances in the bucket, starting by distilling them into individual substances so that each can be analyzed separately.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Locating the laboratory requires the assistance of Miss Ravenscroft. From her bedchamber, located in a discreet but accessible place on the second floor, a hidden panel grants access to a flight of stairs. These lead upward two floors. As she passes the first of these, Miss Ravenscroft points out the solidity of their surroundings.

"As you can see, there is no access to the third floor from here. If there were, we would be able to reach the sealed rooms on this level. This is, as you know, the same level as your guest rooms."

The three continue to the fourth floor. The stairs end in what at first seems to be a blank wall. Another secret panel grants access to a small but well-equipped laboratory.

"Beyond the thick walls of this room," Miss Ravenscroft explains, "lie other sealed area. I possess not the strength to open them, and have not yet devised an instrument to do so. Perhaps you will have more luck."

Analysis of the contents of the bucket reveal that it contains, surprisingly for a place this far from the coast, seawater. It contains a large number of sulfurous compounds, explaining the foul smell.
Examination under a good microscope reveals all manner of animalcules invisible to the naked eye. The shapeless, translucent objects are similar to jellyfish, although they possess not even the simple organs of those creatures.

From this room can be heard, from time to time, a sound as of very heavy footsteps not far away. The very faint sound of someone sobbing and muttering comes from somewhere near as well.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Georgina is at first reluctant to discuss such matters. After gentle persuasion, however, she speaks, softly and hesitantly, with a blush.

"Henry and I have been fond of each other since we were children. Once, when we were quite young, he led me into certain of the sealed rooms; in what manner I do not know, save that he seemed to possess a skill at entering into these places. We did not enter very far into these areas, and I understood little of what I saw; odd-looking books and strange instruments, for the most part. I heard disturbing sounds, and asked Henry to take me away from them. I have not returned since."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I have not returned since."
"Perhaps you could show me the route you took," says William. "You would be safe with me by your side."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

On the fourth floor:

"Mon dieu!" says Vincent, pressing his ear to the sealed wall. "Who is there?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hello!" calls Henry. "What is going on? Can I help?" He is sure that if it comes to it, he could devise an instrument to open the sealed areas, or failing that, Ivan certainly possesses the necessary strength.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rooter wrote:On the fourth floor:

"Mon dieu!" says Vincent, pressing his ear to the sealed wall. "Who is there?"
Spoiler:
WIS=11[dice]0[/dice]
There is no response, simply the continuing sobbing and muttering. Vincent is unable to make out anything of what is said.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Hello!" calls Henry. "What is going on? Can I help?" He is sure that if it comes to it, he could devise an instrument to open the sealed areas, or failing that, Ivan certainly possesses the necessary strength.
There is no response to Doctor North's inquiries.

"One of Highdark Hall's many mysteries," Miss Ravenscroft remarks, with a surprising lack of concern. "I am afraid that I must leave you to it, gentlemen, as I have a rendezvous to keep with Lord Highdark, and I would not wish to jeopardize my position here."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I have not returned since."
"Perhaps you could show me the route you took," says William. "You would be safe with me by your side."
With some reluctance, Georgina leads William to the fourth floor. The eastern half is easily accessible, but contains nothing but empty rooms. The central area, as well as the western rooms, are sealed off.

"I do not know how Henry managed to enter the western rooms," Georgina remarks. "I simply followed him inside. The central area defeated even his efforts, and it is from there that the frightening sounds emerged."

As if in response to her words, a low moaning sound comes from behind the thick walls of the central area.
Spoiler:
Her CHA = 16[dice]0[/dice]
Georgina shivers in terror and clings to William's arm. She grows pale, and seems to remain sensate only by great effort.

"Let us leave this place! I fear it is haunted!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:Georgina shivers in terror and clings to William's arm. She grows pale, and seems to remain sensate only by great effort.
"Of course, Georgina. We can search from here." William takes her arm and leads her back to the safer parts of the house. "Perhaps it would be better if you kept this excursion of ours secret for the time being, lest an account of what we heard alarm others in the house." His kisses her hand in farewell, letting his lips linger a little longer than is proper, then goes to find the others.

"Gentlemen. Georgina has shown me a place from which Henry, the foundling boy, gained entrance to the sealed rooms. She was not able to recall the exact route - it was many years ago - but our combined efforts may be able to find it. And in light of the talk of haunting, I must confess I heard some very strange sounds from within."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After a short time, the sounds cease, and there is only silence. It seems likely that they only occur at infrequent intervals, and have thus not drawn as much attention as might have been thought.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry shares his discoveries about what was at the bottom of the shaft. "We were ordered not to disturb the sealed areas," he says, "but we were not told not to enter them - though I think Lord Highdark would not appreciate the distinction. Still, the source of the evil is within that shaft, not in the sealed areas. Perhaps we should research the history of this property and the Highdark family. We need to learn more about the nature of this evil and how it got here, and why it seems to have moved from the Druid Stones to the shaft under the cellar. We could start in the library, or at least some of us could."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"My english is not so good for reading history books, Docteur," Vincent remarks, searching the wall for some hidden means of entry.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Henry shares his discoveries about what was at the bottom of the shaft. "We were ordered not to disturb the sealed areas," he says, "but we were not told not to enter them - though I think Lord Highdark would not appreciate the distinction. Still, the source of the evil is within that shaft, not in the sealed areas. Perhaps we should research the history of this property and the Highdark family. We need to learn more about the nature of this evil and how it got here, and why it seems to have moved from the Druid Stones to the shaft under the cellar. We could start in the library, or at least some of us could."
Doctor North spends a full day exploring Lord Highdark's library for any relevant information, among the many volumes dedicated to the history of the Altumber family; which, if truth be told, makes for very dull reading.
Spoiler:
int = 16[dice]0[/dice]
One quaint and curious volume, a century or more old, relates a unpleasant event which occurred long before the book was composed. It seems that certain disreputable persons made use of the Druid Stones to perform blasphemous rituals, which the anonymous author refuses to describe. Some dozen or so of these were tried, tortured, and hung for witchery. The author admits that not all of these may have been guilty of that crime. According to the dying words of one of the accused, "the Ancient One will rise and devour Highdark Hall." The bodies of those executed were thrown into the Misty Tarn.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rooter wrote:"My english is not so good for reading history books, Docteur," Vincent remarks, searching the wall for some hidden means of entry.
Spoiler:
wis = 11[dice]0[/dice]
There does not appear to be any obvious way to enter.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry tells his companions about his findings, hoping that Vincent will have some insight into the supernatural elements.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”