Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Book the Second, Chapter the First: A New Century

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Stretching a point here to allow an INT (9) check + 1 for Esoteric Knowledge = 10[dice]0[/dice]
After having the events described in the odd little book described to him, the Frenchman is able to recall other arcane references to a so-called Ancient One. Some grimoires suggest that there are ways to summon such a being, said to be a fearsome creature dwelling in the depths of the ocean, to do the bidding of the summoner. These mystical tomes warn that the ritual required is of great difficulty, and is prone to bring grim consequences for one who attempts it.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"Presumably we can conclude that at least some of those accused were attempting such a ritual," says William. "But how does it connect to the other matters we have witnessed?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There would appear to be no obvious answer to this inquiry. The adventurers having spent some time in their investigations, they retire to a well-earned rest.

After an unremarkable morning, Lady Highdark asks Captain Palliser if he would care to accompany her on an early afternoon ride. (She has obviously fully recovered from her injury.)

Lord Highdark has no objection if the two wish to go off together unchaperoned, as he is a gentleman of advanced ideas. He can not, however, resist adding a humorous remark.

"All of the females in this family are mad for soldiers."

Overhearing this jest, both Harold and Henry react with ill-hidden annoyance. After a moment of glaring at each other without speaking, they leave the room, heading in different directions.

In a moment, Miss Rye arrives with a bit of news.

"I am most sorry to report, my Lord and Lady, that Miss Julia and Miss Juno have run off."

From the calm reaction of their parents, it is obvious that this is neither surprising nor disturbing. Lord Highdark addresses Georgina.

"Go fetch the little rapscallions, will you, dear?"

"Yes, Papa," is the meek reply.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Allow moi to accompany you in this task, mademoiselle," Vincent says, bowing to Georgina. "I imagine these two children are a, how do you say, handful. And i am not a soldier, ha ha."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

William could not refuse Lady Hightdark without looking suspicious, so he will accompany her as she wishes (but will make sure his pistol is loaded.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A double handful," says Henry. "I can help too. I'm also curious where the girls have gone and what they're up to."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After fetching steeds from the stables, William and Lady Highdark make their way east of the manor house, past vegetable gardens, herds of cattle, flocks of sheep, and such products of the earth. A narrow path turns southward, leading to the Altumber cemetery.

Cenotaphs and monuments, many streaked with moss and fungi and other markers of the ravages of time, cover a grassy field. A brisk wind brings an unexpected chill. After regarding this melancholy prospect for a while, Lady Highdark addresses her companion.

"I take it that you have often sent men to their graves, sir. Does it not produce within you an extraordinary appreciation for our brief time in this mortal realm?"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Discovering which way the mischievous twins have gone is a difficult business at best.
Spoiler:
Tracking = WIS -10 for those not trained in the skill. Georgina = 9, so she can't succeed; Henry and Vincent = 11 so they have a small chance.[dice]0[/dice]
It is not surprising, then, that the hunt for them will not prove an easy one.

"Where, oh where have they got this time?" Georgina remarks. "Perhaps we should make our way to the Observatory, from where we may be able to see them."

The guests will be aware, by now, that the Observatory, the highest point on the estate, lies to the extreme northeast of the manor house. The path to it follows the same as that taken by William and Lady Highdark not long before, but turns to the north rather than the south.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I take it that you have often sent men to their graves, sir. Does it not produce within you an extraordinary appreciation for our brief time in this mortal realm?"
"Indeed it does, Lady Highdark," says William. "Life is never richer than when under the shadow of death. One may even see it in the way the plants cling to the monuments around us."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Capital idea," says Henry. "I feel right at home in an observatory."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As the party makes their way to the Observatory, they are able to see William and Lady Highdark engaged in conversation, although their words are lost to the wind. It can be seen that Lady Highdark withdraws a wooden case from her saddlebag.

William:
Spoiler:
"We are of kindred natures, I perceive. Perhaps, then, you would care to game for the ultimate stakes?"

Lady Highdark opens the case. It contains two pistols.

"One of these is filled with powder and a bullet, the other is not. I propose that you select one, and that we fire upon each other from a moderate distance. I assure you that there is no sensation to compare with the thrill of the close embrace of death."
The Observatory is a building of modest dimensions, set upon a rise which provides a striking view of its surroundings. Nearby, to the south, stands the enormous trunk of an ancient, mighty tree said to have been blasted by lightning more than a century ago. A little further away, to the west, are a series of caves, whose extent has not yet been explored. A small telescope allows a view, some distance to the west, beyond a copse of ashes and oaks, to the Misty Tarn and the islet within it. There seems to be some kind of movement on that small island, although the telescope offers only a blurred view of it.

"Perhaps they have gone into the caves," Georgina says, with a slight shiver. "I would not enter them myself, but my sisters are fearless."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
"We are of kindred natures, I perceive. Perhaps, then, you would care to game for the ultimate stakes?"

"One of these is filled with powder and a bullet, the other is not. I propose that you select one, and that we fire upon each other from a moderate distance. I assure you that there is no sensation to compare with the thrill of the close embrace of death."
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]One of us to take the life of the other? You must be a fortunate Lady indeed if you play this game with all your guests.[/color]" William will pick up both pistols, and point them at Lady Highdark, sighting along them. "[color=#800000]Which shall I choose, I wonder?[/color]" (He will weigh them in his hands as he holds them - though a quick look at google suggests the difference in weight between a pistol and ball is 340:1, so I don't think he could tell if one's loaded and the other not).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What about that little island?" asks Henry. "I saw movement there. It could be them, unless it's an animal or something."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It would seem likely that reaching the islet would be easier than blundering around in the dark labyrinth of the caves.

"There is a small boat and dock at the Misty Tarn," Georgina explains. "If one of you gentlemen would be so kind as to take command of the oars, and the other the tiller, we could reach the island quickly. I fear I have not the strength or the skill myself."

The walk to the dock is a pleasant one, albeit a bit windy. The little boat has seen much use, it appears, and care will be needed to avoid any mishaps in its use. Two men and one young woman would appear to be the limit it can carry safely.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:

VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]One of us to take the life of the other? You must be a fortunate Lady indeed if you play this game with all your guests.[/color]" William will pick up both pistols, and point them at Lady Highdark, sighting along them. "[color=#800000]Which shall I choose, I wonder?[/color]" (He will weigh them in his hands as he holds them - though a quick look at google suggests the difference in weight between a pistol and ball is 340:1, so I don't think he could tell if one's loaded and the other not).
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for profession of soldier = 10[dice]0[/dice]

William's extensive experience with firearms allows him to tell which of the pistols is loaded. The next question to be answered is in what manner to address this challenge.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for profession of soldier = 10[dice]217638:0[/dice]

William's extensive experience with firearms allows him to tell which of the pistols is loaded. The next question to be answered is in what manner to address this challenge.
VictoriaSilverwolf,William hands the unloaded pistol to Lady Highdark, and says "[color=#800000]Thirty paces, then?[/color]" Assuming she agrees (and assuming she doesn't have another loaded pistol about her person to shoot him with while they get into position - a risk he supposes he has to take), when it comes time to shoot, he will deliberately miss her.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Zut alors," Vincent mutters, taking up the oars.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry takes his place at the tiller. "Ivan will have to remain behind," he says. "While he'd make an excellent oarsman, the boat is simply too small to support him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 1 for profession of soldier = 10[dice]217638:0[/dice]

VictoriaSilverwolf,William hands the unloaded pistol to Lady Highdark, and says "[color=#800000]Thirty paces, then?[/color]" Assuming she agrees (and assuming she doesn't have another loaded pistol about her person to shoot him with while they get into position - a risk he supposes he has to take), when it comes time to shoot, he will deliberately miss her.
Spoiler:
Lady Highdark accepts the challenge. After counting off the paces, she turns and attempts to fire. Of course, there is no effect.

With eyes closed, she awaits the report of the loaded pistol, shivering with emotion as it goes off. After taking several deep breaths, she says "I believe you have missed, sir. Let us return, before inquiry is made as to the sound of the shot." During the ride back to the manor home it is evident that she is in a state of mind best described as ecstatic rapture, such as is reputed to have been the experience of certain saints.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Vincent STR = 9[dice]0[/dice]
A strong current, where no one could expect one to be found, acts to prevent the Frenchman from propelling the boat forward, despite his best efforts. It will require all the skill that Doctor North can muster to steer the vessel in the proper direction, despite the opposing force.
Spoiler:
DEX = 10[dice]1[/dice]
Unfortunately, this proves impossible, due to the stubborn opposition of the current.

"How strange," Georgina remarks. "The waters of the Misty Tarn are always quite still, save during exceptionally windy weather. Today there is scarcely a whisper of breeze to be felt. It is almost as if--"

Her speculation is cut off by a gasp, as she points towards the little island, upon which may be seen what appear to be several pillars of mist surrounding a very large tree. The day being warm and dry, this is a most unusual phenomenon.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
Let us return, before inquiry is made as to the sound of the shot." During the ride back to the manor home it is evident that she is in a state of mind best described as ecstatic rapture, such as is reputed to have been the experience of certain saints.
VictoriaSilverwolf,"[color=#800000]Need we return so soon, Lady Highdark?[/color]" asks William. "[color=#800000]I held your life in my hands just now, and it would be a fine thing to feel the pulse of that life a little longer.[/color]"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”