Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by SunlessNick »

"If any among us can sway the boys from Lilith's influence, it would be Mrs North," says Ines. "Perhaps she should attempt this whilst I approach Lilith with the mirror."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Yes, I am sure she is willing," Lila says. She takes out her lantern from her haversack in preparation to enter, though perhaps the cave is shallow enough that it might not be required.

(Before departing she has commanded the Golem to accompany them, providing it with a large hat and coat so that its appearance may not be remarked upon while traveling in broad daylight.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You're right, Elizabeth would be best suited to rescue the boys," says Henry, "and I know I can count on Ivan to protect her. We also have the golem, who will no doubt prove useful. However, I'm still disturbed by the fact that Heinrich Muller disabled it once he discovered the golem's intended purpose. It must have been Lilith who directed him to create the golem for her own reasons, which means she expected to be able to take control of it - or at least of Heinrich."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

A beam of light from Miss Davenport's lantern penetrates the darkness within the shallow cave. Revealed within its Stygian depths is the horrific sight of a python of monstrous size, such as are rumored to exist in jungles where no human foot has trod. It appears to be thirty or more spans in length, although this is impossible to determine with any degree of exactitude, given the manner in which its body twists and turns in a most complex manner. More disturbing than its sheer size, however, is the fact that it holds within its coils a pair of young boys, apparently in a trance state, their eyes and mouths wide open but their bodies motionless. The python itself does not move, and seems to be asleep, it eyes closed and its respiration slow and heavy. A bulge in the middle of its body reveals that it has recently fed; the humanoid shape of that bulge reveals all too well upon what it has dined.
Spoiler:
CHA = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Although all present are repulsed by this hideous sight, it is a sign of Mrs North's courageous desire to rescue the boys from an unspeakable fate that she does not fall into a swoon
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That must be her true form," whispers Henry. "We may need the golem to rescue the boys from her clutches. You also have weapons that have power against evil, Miss Davenport, and she is as evil as they come. We also must consider that she has displayed power over males, but not females. I and Ivan may be susceptible."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila nods determinedly and draws her silver dagger. "It is awful that we arrived too late to save one of the victims but it does thankfully afford us the opportunity to strike while it is feeding. I shall attack first which will no doubt awaken the beast and then we will have one chance for Ines to use the mirror to distract it while the others attempt to free the boys from its clutches. If Doctor North's suspicions concerning the Golem's purpose are correct I do not think we should rely upon its aid."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
With the presence of the True Innocent and the Danger Bonus, success at striking the python with a base DEX of 18 is certain unless I roll a 20. [dice]0[/dice] Damage will be 1d6+3 bonus points at this level[dice]1[/dice]
The silver blade strikes home on a portion of the soft, unscaled underbelly of the creature, inflicting an appreciable amount of damage. Yellow-green ichor flows from the wound, eliciting a peculiar hissing sound as it strikes the ground. The python opens its eyes, revealing them to be brightly glowing green ovoids. Enraged, it tosses aside the two entranced boys as if they were mere poppets. It writhes and attempts to seize its attackers within its coils.
Spoiler:
DEX = 17[dice]2[/dice]
Perhaps due to its wounded state, the creature's tail passes harmlessly past Miss Davenport's body. There is no guarantee, however, that she or her fellows will remain so fortunate.
Spoiler:
This roll of the dice is for the use of your Presenter.[dice]3[/dice]
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

As Miss Davenport strikes and the serpent awakens, Ines darts forward holding the mirror before its eyes - trying not to look into them herself.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The mirror has no apparent effect on the gigantic serpent, whose thrashings suggest that it has only the limited intelligence granted by Nature to those of its kind. Paying no attention to the object, it instead hisses at the intruders and prepares to attack.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think that's actually her," says Henry. He fires his pistol at the giant serpent now that the boys are out of the line of fire, reasoning that if Lilith is capable of taking control of him, at least the weapon will have been discharged. "Golem, destroy the serpent!" Ivan protects Elizabeth while she helps get the boys to safety.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
DEX = 10 + 1 for the True Innocent = 11[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]+ 3 for level
Doctor North's aim is true, and once again the python suffers a serious wound. It is obvious from its movements that it is in great pain, but far from fully incapacitated.
Spoiler:
The golem has a DEX of 8. I don't think such a being would benefit from the True Innocent.[dice]2[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]no level bonus
The clay-man lashes out with its mighty fists, striking the serpent directly in its skull. The beast shrieks with rage and strikes back at the golem.
Spoiler:
DEX = 17[dice]4[/dice]
Possibly the damage done to its reptilian brain has blurred its senses. In any case, once again the python is unable to grasp its foe within its coils.

Doctor North is able to drag the boys to safety. They remain insensate, which one might consider a blessing. The serpent is bleeding profusely, pools of the unnatural fluid that fills its veins forming on the ground. Yet still it lives, ready to take its vengeance upon its attackers.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Seeing the serpent reeling and the victims clear, Lila's instincts to destroy evil take the upper hand and she strikes out again with her dagger, hoping for a killing blow.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
As before misses only on 20[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
With a mighty thrust of her dagger, Miss Davenport strikes directly at the heart of the creature. With a final hiss, the serpent expires.

As the bold Demon Hunter rests after these exertions, no doubt with much relief to have been spared injury in battle with such a being, she and her companions are witness to a astonishing transformation.

The body of the serpent, with the swiftness of thought, dissolves into a mist, softly glowing as if hidden candles illuminated it from within. Almost as quickly, it reshapes itself into human form, finally resolving into the image of the woman the party have come to know as Lilith. Her fiery locks and loose and free, nearly as tangled as the coils of the python. Her eyes are the same glowing shade of green as those of the serpent. She wears only a simple white shift, such as might have adorned one of Homer's day.

"Didst think could slay one born of fire? Thou art no less dust than yon man of clay."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Born of fire? How can that be?" asks Ines, hoping that Lilith's purported vanity will induce her to talk.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe the mirror will work now that she looks like that," whispers Henry to Ines.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Know thou not the tale? 'Tis oft sung by bards," Lilith replies to the Gypsy's question. "He Who Must Not Be Named brought me to life from the new-born Sun and Moon, just as the Man was crafted from the Earth. Together all Paradise was ours! But I refused to serve the Man, so the Other Woman was taken from the body of the Man. The Wise Serpent and I tempted them to their doom. Because I tasted not of the Fruit, I shall not know the sting of Death." She lifts her arms and raises her voice to a shout. "Thus am I Mistress of Serpents and Queen of Hell, and thou canst not stand against me!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Taking Dr North's advice, Ines holds up the mirror again, with the words, "You do not know yourself then, as Adam and Eve did? Then know yourself now."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Lilith appears to be entranced by her own image, staring into the mirror with a distracted smile.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila sheathes her dagger, knowing violent confrontation is futile. "We must convince her to depart," she says to the others. "Or else somehow banish her. Who knows what trouble she could cause if she possessed the Brazen Head." She considers. "I have an idea. They are both creations of Hell. The Head appeared discomforted even speaking a reference to holy writ. What if this place were consecrated? An innocent boy has died here and should be given a grave and the proper rites." She looks to the pious Mrs North, who no doubt carries a small bible on her person, and directs Ivan to gather some wood from nearby to build a cross to plant as a marker and a ward. She also has a vial of Holy Water to sprinkle on the ground of the cave.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines carefully keeps the mirror in Lilith's view while the others work.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”