Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by Rooter »

"You may not enter," Lila says firmly, hurrying up. "We know that you are a fiend who has been using Mr. Crayle in your nefarious designs upon Mrs. Piper." She has instructed Ivan to fetch the Golem head from its hiding place and indicates it in the servant's hands. "Perhaps you recognize this? And perhaps you may also recognize a certain device which has brought Mrs. Piper near to death. No doubt you intended for Mr. Crayle to inherit the Brazen Head then have it from him for yourself. But we have foiled your scheme."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry remains out of sight, in case the woman has some sort of power over men. While he is firmly dedicated to Elizabeth and is sure he could resist this woman, he is reluctant to put matters to the test if it is not necessary, though he stands ready to intervene should he be needed. He hopes Ivan can overcome her wiles if she tries to use them on him; his servant's dedication to his master is also considerable.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Then let your destruction be upon you," the woman says in a sweet and gentle voice.

The party may or may not be startled to witness the metamorphosis of the woman into the serpent of unusual size witnessed at sunset. During the process her gown is shed like a snake's skin, falling to the ground and dissolving into pale mist. Her chalk-white body writhes to the ground and her green eyes glow with inner fire. Most extraordinary of all, the scarlet strands of her hair fall from her head and are transformed into so many vipers, hissing as they writhe about the manor, forming a sort of reptilian moat. Their mistress scurries off into the darkness and is lost to sight.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wonder if perhaps we should destroy the Brazen Head," says Henry. "The aqua regia I carry should do the job, but that's not accounting for its supernatural powers. It did mention when we asked how it might be destroyed that only the devil could unmake it. Another thing we might try is to reactivate the golem, but that would require finding its body first. The only place I can think it might be is that cave, which may be where she is retreating. We may need to confront her. Or perhaps the just the golem's head can be reactivated, simply by reinscribing the aleph. The golem's head won't be able to move on its own, but maybe it can talk."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Are the snakes still outside?
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

From the hissing sounds which can be heard clearly emerging from the darkness, the house is still encircled by numerous serpents.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can't set foot outside," says Henry when he hears the hissing, "not while those snakes are still out there. The first thing we need to do is secure all the doors and windows so they can't get in."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila calls to the servants to do as the doctor has suggested and bar the doors and windows. "This idea of perhaps having the Golem talk sounds a good one. Two heads may prove better than one."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines assists the servants with barring the house, all the while uttering both prayers and Gitani charms against evil.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

While the house is secured, the adventurers have time to discuss to whom should fall the task of attempting to reanimate the golem's head. Mrs Piper offers the opinion that, although creating a new golem from clay would require a person of the Hebrew faith, reactivating one previously created may be possible for a gentile, although she cannot answer for what other effects might ensue from such a procedure. Meanwhile, Mister Crayle appears to have fallen into a state of catatonia.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Should it be one of knowledge or faith who makes the attempt?" asks Ines.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Both are vital," remarks Mrs Piper. "I fear that I possess neither virtue to a great enough degree to be of much assistance."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"And neither, I fear, do I," Lila adds. "If it is to be done then it must be the doctor and you." She stands watch at the entrance with dagger drawn, glancing worriedly at Mr. Crayle. "And I fear time is short."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I certainly have the knowledge," says Henry. "I'm not without faith myself, though Elizabeth has more than I do. I'd be willing to try to reactivate the golem."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Together?" suggests Ines. "Yours is most certainly a marriage made in Heaven."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This agreed upon, Doctor North attempts to revive the golem, with the prayerful assistance of Mrs North.
Spoiler:
This shouldn't be too difficult for the allied pair, and I'll give as many bonuses as make sense.

INT = 14 + 1 for Scientific Knowledge + 3 for Gift for Languages + 1 for True Innocent = 19. [dice]0[/dice]

CHA = 11 + 1 for Grace + 1 for Faith = 13[dice]1[/dice]
Doctor North, with his knowledge of Hebrew and careful examination of the faded mark upon the forehead of the golem, is able to transform the word met to emet by drawing a perfect aleph in the proper place. No doubt the simple and sincere faith of Mrs North is of vital importance as well, and is not the God of the Old Testament that of the New as well?

To the amazement of all present, even though they may be prepared for the awakening of the golem, the figure grows from merely a head to the full figure of a man of hardened clay, the extra mass appearing as if from out of nowhere as first torso, then arms, then legs appear. In its final form the golem is enormous, standing a full ten spans high. It resembles a crude statue of a human being, its features only roughly shaped. Hairless, its stone skin a deep brown, it has short, thick fingers upon its mighty arms. It is without ears or nose, and has only holes such as might have been made by a child at play to serve for eyes and mouth.
Spoiler:
CHA = 11[dice]2[/dice]
Perhaps because her entreaties to Heaven were involved in its revivification, Mrs North is able to witness the unexpected appearance of the creature without swooning. In a voice without inflection, but which roars out in the way a cannon might speak, it says "Command me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry is in awe of the golem, elated at having restored this construct to some semblance of life. He isn't sure whether it possesses knowledge or simply carries out tasks, but he figures it is worth a try. "Golem, tell us what you know of Lilith," he commands.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"She caused my maker to create me. Now he is no more. I was not, but now I am."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Who was your maker?" asks Henry. "Who deactivated you, and why?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Heinrich Müller created me, at the direction of another I do not know. When he discovered the purpose for which I was intended, he erased that which gives me life. This much I know from hearing his words spoken to me, but I do not know who commanded him or why."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”