Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Casual conversation with Mister Crayle elicits remarks suggesting that the time he has spent away from the Piper manor is, as he first stated, involved with minor matters of business. Subtle inquiry as to the exact nature of such, cleverly disguised as mere idle curiosity, produce various documents which would appear to confirm this; bills of sale and such. Mister Crayle appears to consider this a very dull topic of conversation.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:The title of the book is Genesis Decoded; Or, The Hand of the Creator Revealed, With Particular Attention Drawn to a New Interpretation of Certain Landscapes of England. One chapter outlines the author's hypothesis that the natural formation known as the Devil's Punchbowl was, nearly six millennia ago, the site of the Garden of Eden, and that its current condition is due to the Fall of Man and subsequent expulsion from the Earthly Paradise. As evidence, the author points to certain peculiar marks upon the land, which he claims are inscriptions, that indicate that it was here that life was first breathed into dust.
OOC:   Did Miss Davenport inform the rest of the company of what the Head said about the woman with fiery hair?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"England is truly a beautiful land," says Henry, "but I never expected that the Garden of Eden had been here. This woman - she reminds me of the stories of Lilith, Adam's supposed first wife. Pure heresy, of course, but she may be trying to assume such a role."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It may be presumed, unless stated differently, that all members of the party will share whatever information they have garnered.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines does not know the story of Lilith - though when appraised of it, she will observe that the brass head did suggest that Adam might have called her wife. After a moment, she adds, "But could the demon in the head have one it itself would look on as a wife? The reference to Adam a way to confuse?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"While the head does deliberately try to confuse," says Henry, "all of its answers are technically true, if incomplete and misleading. That must have been where I got the idea about Lilith. Let's see if there's anything about her in the books here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
INT = 14 + 1 ti = 15[dice]0[/dice]
If there is something more about the mythical being known as Lilith, other than what is common knowledge, it is either not contained in any of the volumes available, or the haphazard manner in which the library is organized makes it impossible to find.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"These ideas seem linked to Faith," Lila speculates thoughtfully. "Mrs. Piper has intimated that the power of Faith is required to bring a Golem to life, while Mr. Crayle's behavior is reminiscent of a kind of worship toward this being. Many monsters can be destroyed with the power of Faith but perhaps here is one which draws from it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That is a possibility," says Henry. "I think we all have faith in something, which may render us all vulnerable. There is also the chance that her power to entrance only works on men, not on women, though we cannot count on that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed. I believe we must form a plan of action to resolve matters. Whether he is unaware of his actions or not, Mr. Crayle appears to be being used for access to Mrs. Piper with acquiring the Head, as has been speculated, the potential aim. I see two possibilities. The next time Mr. Crayle is about to depart on his supposed errands, we should tie him up and keep him here, drastic as it sounds. That way we deprive the woman of her contact and perhaps lure her into revealing herself in a weakened state. Alternatively we could inform Mr. Crayle of the Head's location and thus the information will likely find its way to the woman, following which we may try to entrap them when they attempt to take the Head. Or I suppose we might simply go to the cave and confront this being yet I suspect it will not be so easy."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I would sooner face her without whatever strength she draws from Mr Crayle," says Ines. "And if he is indeed a victim in this, the information about the head's location may mark an end to his use to her - we should not take that chance."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says Henry. "That's the one thing we must not do. I am loathe to detain Mister Crayle by force, but we cannot let him return to that cave. We can also ask the head questions while we are here, though again it will try to confuse us. I'd like to know what weaknesses the woman has, and also whether women are immune to her powers."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Yes, I agree, Ines. I would nominate Ivan to gently confine Mr. Crayle to his room with the use of some rope. It is for his own good, after all."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mister Crayle is taken aback by this sudden confinement, although, being of gentle nature and of no great strength, makes little effort to resist. Despite the reassurances of the party, he protests this treatment vehemently.

"I was not aware that I inhabited the same household as brigands," he remarks with some bitterness. "Do with me as you like, and abscond with such valuables as you may find, but do no harm to my patroness, or may the wrath of Heaven fall upon your heads."

After some time has passed, Mister Crayle shows signs of entering a trance-like state, as if subject to the will of a mesmerist. A little while later, just as the sun sinks below the surrounding hills, one may observe, coiled about a nearby tree, a serpent of unusual size. At the same time Mister Crayle makes ineffective efforts to escape from confinement. In a moment all is darkness without.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think she is coming for him, since he cannot come to her," says Henry, readying his pistol and cane. "Everyone, get ready."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A knock upon the front door is clearly heard throughout the house. The footsteps of a servant, on the way to answer it, quickly follow.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

It seems preposterous to engage in melee such a creature as this woman appears to be, but Ines dons her brass knuckles just the same. When the servant's footsteps ring, out, she will intercept whoever it is and bid them hide themselves - if the door is to be opened, she will do it herself.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Upon opening the door, the flame-haired, emerald-eyed woman, dressed in a simple gown of purest white, is seen without. With a disarming smile, she inquires "May I enter?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Trying to steel herself in case the woman's mesmerism might affect her, Ines asks her who she is and why she is here at this hour.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I am Hezekiah's -- Mister Crayle's -- very close friend. I have come to make sure he is well, as I have not heard from him when I expected to. May I come in and see him?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”