Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter the Fourteenth: A Respite From Turmoil

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent idea," says Henry. He sets to work helping to consecrate the cave while Elizabeth and Ivan do their parts.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The ritual of consecration proceeds without interruption. Once it is completed, Lilith is seen to melt into a mist, which sinks into the ground and is seen no more. The mirror remains behind, resting on the earth safely. The two boys awaken from their trance, with no memory of what has occurred since they left the village. It may be noted that the apprentice Peter is not among them.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm afraid we were too late for Peter," says Henry, "but at least we were in time to rescue the other two." He admires Elizabeth looking after the boys, thinking that she'll make a wonderful mother someday.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Emotionally drained, the party returns to the Piper estate, from whence the boys will be returned to their homes. No doubt questions will be raised by their families and acquaintances. Some thought will be required to provide answers that will satisfy inquiry.

In a similar way, Mister Crayle, once free from bondage, expresses a desire to be informed as to the meaning of these peculiar events. In particular, he now experiences strange gaps in his memory, concerning times when he formerly recalled being engaged in ordinary errands of managing Mrs Piper's affair.

"I trust there is some rational explanation for all of this?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There is," says Henry. "I am a man of science and reason, and there is a rational explanation for everything, even if we don't always know what it is. You fell under the influence of a very wicked woman calling herself Lilith. As near as I can tell, she used a form of mesmerism to influence you and tamper with your memories. She is gone now, and she should trouble you no more."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This answer appears to placate Mister Crayle to some degree, although his attitude toward the adventurers lacks a certain warmth. Mrs Piper, of course, is more aware of the preternatural nature of what has occurred. Having reached a certain age, she wishes to lessen her involvement with such matters.

"Do what you will with the Brazen Head and the golem," she remarks, at a time when confidences may be shared without being overheard. "For my part, I would lock them away forever where they may do no harm, but perhaps your hearts are braver than mine.

"I am curious also as to what might have become of this Heinrich Müller, presumably no longer among the living, and what other weird devices of his design might be causing mischief. I worry also that you may not have seen the last of Lilith."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"And we must decide what to tell the apothecary and poor Peter's parents," observes Ines dejectedly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We should destroy the Brazen Head if we can find a way to do it," says Henry, "but locking it away seems like a good alternative in the meantime. I would like to keep the golem, however. While I possess the knowledge to deactivate it, it does not seem right for me to take away its life after I have given it. Still, we cannot take it with us everywhere without drawing notice. It should be safe enough at my castle unless it's needed, however."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The evident concern felt by Ines for the fate of young Peter is sure to touch the hearts of all present. Plans must be made for which members of the party wish to bring the ill news to the family of the boy; with, no doubt, some consideration as to how his disappearance might be explained to those who have been bereft of his company. The exact method by which the golem is to be transported to Doctor North's castle without drawing undue attention is also a matter worthy of thought.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Since I spoke to the apothecary before," says Henry, "I should be the one to give him the bad news about his apprentice. I suppose we can tell him and the boy's family that this Lilith woman presumably killed him, though we did not find a body. As for transporting the golem, if I must I can deactivate it temporarily so that it is reduced to its head, which Ivan could carry in a trunk. Then, when we get to my castle, we can reactivate it again. It would make a good guard for the Brazen Head as well when we're not around."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"I trust you will be well, Mrs. Piper," Lila bids their host in fond parting after these matters have been settled. "Mr. Crayle has shown himself to care for your well-being and I am sure he will be an able guardian in your retirement."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

These arrangements being made, the party returns to their various domiciles. No doubt all will be eager to return to a more normal way of life for some time, as revolution threatens to bring the Continent into a state of chaos.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”