Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter the Thirteenth: A Modern Pilgrimage

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think the creature will return," says Henry, "but if it does, we will be in a better position in here."

"If it bleeds," said Ivan, "we can kill it."

"Quite. Shall we try placing the four elements upon the altar? There are four of them and four of us, so it seems fitting for each of us to place one. Remember when we saw which colour represents each of us, when we did that experiment with the prism? The blue light fell on me, which suggests that my element is Air. Miss Davenport's light was red, the colour of Fire. Miss Ines had the green light, which could be for either Water or Earth. Ivan did not participate in the experiment, but I'd be inclined to think that Earth is the best element to suit him, considering his strength and fortitude."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Upon hearing this statement, Tom revives for just a moment, and croaks out a warning.

"Choose the one which fits you," he says weakly.

He then returns to his former unresponsive state.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I edited my statement above while you were replying to add more.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines, perhaps inspired by Ivan carrying her into the Church, adds weakly "The Earth is strength and safety, and Ivan is this. And he was the one who got the tin. Miss Davenport is a scourge of evil forces. For most of my life, I have come and gone like the dew."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila murmurs agreement with the proposed plan, also reminded of a similar ritual involving a certain Mister Harcourt some time ago.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

These personal characteristics being agreed upon, each person brings the substance most closely associated with his or her personality to the altar. Tom, now in a state of extreme immobility, lies before it, surrounded by the four elements. For quite some time, nothing of note occurs; then, all observe a very faint light appear before the altar, as if a gently glowing mist has formed from the atmosphere. It is remarkable that each person present experiences a feeling of peace and contentment, for no evident reason. The light grows slightly brighter, and presents the image of a vaguely human shape, as of a person observed at a distance through thick fog. Simultaneously, the four substances grow translucent and eventually disappear, as if they were mere illusion. As if all of this were not extraordinary enough, Tom is observed to undergo a series of transformations, rapidly changing from a living man into one recently deceased, then into a corpse which has undergone the process of corruption for some time, then a jumble of ancient bones, then mere dust, which is swept up by a gentle breeze and carried away, never to be seen again. Although far less dramatic a metamorphosis, it may be noted that the glowing figure fades away, taking with it the unexplained sense of tranquility.

After a considerable time spent pondering this strange experience, the party, likely in a state of exhaustion after such struggles, particularly the severely injured Ines, will no doubt seek out rest and refreshment at some quiet inn. The local populace, of course, is greatly excited by the appearance of the flying serpent; already, however, those not witness to it are dismissing it as the imaginings of the weak-minded, abetted no doubt by strong drink.

Whilst in deep slumber, the members of the party have peculiar dreams, similar but not identical. They hear strange voices, of no obvious sex, speak to them. The words spoken, and the places from which they emerge vary slightly, to wit:

To Doctor North, from a drifting cloud: Seek thy challenge and reward East.

To Miss Davenport, from a burning torch: Seek thy challenge and reward South.

To Ines, from a rushing stream: Seek thy challenge and reward West.

To Ivan, from a towering mountain: Seek thy challenge and reward North.

Upon awakening, there will certainly be much discussion of these strange dreams, and in what manner they should be interpreted. The party will no doubt wish to make their way back to London before deciding what action should be taken in light of these mysterious messages.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Certainly, Ines will retire as soon as she can to whichever room is procured for the ladies. In the morning, her mind will have cleared enough for her to thank Dr North for saving her life - but she will show little enthusiasm for pursuing anything that might be construed a challenge in the immediate future.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Upon arriving back in London, Lila too settles back into the routine of life in the capital. And if word of demonic activity requiring her attention should reach her ear, and if said activity should happen to lie away to the south as the strange dream indicated, then she will be prepared to journey and to fight once more.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Each character -- except, I presume, Ivan, who is more of an asset than a character -- should advance to Level Four, as per the Player's Manual, based on Class. Assume quite a bit of time passes.

(Doctor North may wish to marry Miss Carrow, which could bring both good and bad effects.)

https://engineoforacles.files.wordpress ... ee-pdf.pdf

Let me know if you have any trouble with the level advancement.

Once that is done, and if interest continues, we shall proceed to Chapter the Fourteeth, if I can summon up enough inspiration.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines spends her convalescence composing a tavern song commemorating the battle with the dragon, though she will replace herself in the tale with Miss Carrow (the role Ines played - marshalling a force of faith to weaken the beast, before being struck down and saved by Dr North - is surely more stirring when attributed to his gentle lady love than a Gypsy he, if it wouldn't be above her station to use the world, befriended). Their love is counterparted by the beast being driven off by Dr North's mighty manservant Ivan and the valiant fighter of evil Miss Lila Davenport. She will set it to dance when she feels stronger.
Spoiler:
For level 4, Ines's Dexterity will increase to 11.
OOC:   I'd be interested in carrying on, but if you need to recharge, this is a natural point for the company's adventures to pause.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry marries Elizabeth Carrow in a lavish ceremony, for which he spares no expense. His companions are all invited to attend. Now she is a Countess, with a noble title to match her noble heart. After the honeymoon, he continues his research and develops an elixir that can heal even the most grievous of wounds. In their adventures, such a thing would surely be useful.
OOC,I definitely want to continue playing. For level 4, I'll increase Intelligence again (to 15). I'll create a new Mad Invention with the Cure Light Wounds power, which I'll call the Elixir of Regeneration (or simply the Elixir). I do want to marry [b]Miss Carrow[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”