Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

In response to this inquiry, an elderly fishwife whispers nervously.

-- Cursed he is. Been so since my grandam's grandam was a girl. Not natural, it is. Best leave bad enough alone, says I. --

With that she refuses to provide any other information.

Meanwhile, the sound of clanking coins is sufficient to convince a young fisherman, hardly more than a boy, to convey the party. His vessel is a small one, of course, and he makes his way slowly, stopping often upon the tiny isles that lie betwixt Ushant and Brittany. At last the adventurers arrive at the small town of Le Conquet, the most westerly settlement in the mainland of France. It may be recalled that it was here that Henry VII, then plain Henry Tudor, made landfall when fleeing Wales during the unpleasant contention for the throne of England. Casual discussion of this curious fact of history evokes a reaction from the old fellow accompanying the party.

"Bad times they was, Tom knows, hey. Rose and rose fought 'til was naught but thorns. Harry wise, Tom's foolish, a-hey."

The young fisherman being reluctant to venture any further from his home, it remains for the party to makes its way to Brest, where a ship of sufficient size to reach England may be engaged, the distance being some five leagues or so.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You lived through the Wars of the Roses?" Henry asks Tom, wondering if he truly is centuries old. "I've only read about them in books. Do you remember the year of your birth, or who wore the crown then?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Tom knows not when came into world, a-hey. The lion's heart was gone many and many a year under the cross when Tom was a-running and a-playing, hey."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"How can this be>" asks Ines in a shaky voice. (She does not seem to entirely understand the historical references made by Dr North, save that they represent a vast span of time; and her superstitious heart is quick to take seriously the possibility that Tom has lived it).
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"A curse, the fishwife said. And curses may take strange forms. His speech reminds me a little of old Gypsy folk ... but perhaps not. Well, is there a regular coach from here to Brest or do we face a journey on foot?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Being able to live for centuries may not seem like a curse at first glance," says Henry, "but I can see how it can be one. Living all that time, and having everyone you know die. I've experienced all too much of that in my short life, and I cannot imagine it going on repeatedly for hundreds of years. Still, if everyone could live that long, as the book of Genesis records people did before the Flood, then it would be an advantage. Of course, that didn't stop the Flood from being necessary. People were still given over to evil, even moreso in those times than nowadays."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There is a road of sorts from Le Conquet to Brest, but it is not heavily traveled. The little town itself possesses no inn, but perhaps one might make inquiry among the residents and obtain accommodation or transportation, although this might require some delay. To rely on shank's mare, as the saying goes, would take a full day to reach Brest at a moderate pace.

It is a remarkable fact that, during Doctor North's somewhat melancholy meditations upon the apparent longevity of the man traveling with them, he responds with some dismay during the allusions to Scripture.

"Not to speak of that, hey. Tom's a-feared, won't hear the word, no."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well, I shan't force you to listen, Tom," says Henry, "but why are you afraid? Is it to do with your curse? Do you know how you came to be so afflicted?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Poor Tom's mad, lost most of ago, a-hey. Yester-morrow's gone, save this that and t'other. Wherefore nor why says not, hey."

It would not appear that these remarks are particularly enlightening.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed," Lila says. "We should be able to reach Brest by nightfall and obtain more proper accommodation than is to be found here. I am ready to set out if we all are."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am ready," says Henry. "It will be nice to see England again after so long away - though it hasn't been anywhere near as long for me as it has been for Tom here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

When the company reaches Brest, Ines will visit a church one last time before returning to a Protestant land.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party proceeds to Brest without untoward incident, a bit tired from the long walk but otherwise in good spirits. Accommodation is obtained at a pleasant inn, where the adventurers may refresh themselves with the excellent local cider and the noted crêpes bretonne, very thin, savory buckwheat cakes.

Ines is directed to the nearest church. The elderly fellow reacts with great distress when he comes in sight of the building and scurries away from it. Upon being questioned as to the reason for this, he falls to his knees and lifts his clenched hands to the party.

"Will free Tom, hey? Tom's a-weary, no stone to lay his head under. Will end Tom's a-wandering, hey?"
Spoiler:
If Ines wishes to pass the evening in prayer and meditation she may obtain one Faith point.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Free you?" asks Henry. "I'm not sure I understand. How are you not free now, and how can we set you free?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"River runs to sea, Tom must run a-home, hey. But Tom mayn't, no, barred and blocked from where the meddlesome priest bled his last, a-hey. If could enter, then may be at rest, but no door opens for poor Tom. 'Tis a puzzle too vexsome for brain of Tom, p'haps not others, hey?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
If Ines wishes to pass the evening in prayer and meditation she may obtain one Faith point.
Spoiler:
I don't understanad - I couldn't find Faith points in the rulebooks. Do you mean reduce Ines's Perversity?
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"River runs to sea, Tom must run a-home, hey. But Tom mayn't, no, barred and blocked from where the meddlesome priest bled his last, a-hey. If could enter, then may be at rest, but no door opens for poor Tom. 'Tis a puzzle too vexsome for brain of Tom, p'haps not others, hey?"
"Are you saying you cannot die, even if you wish to?" asks Ines.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
I meant to say Grace point. Used to re-roll a bad dice result.
"Aye, no way for a-sleeping but not a-dreaming, hey. If Tom could go a-walkin' into where saint fell, where Tom can not go, might could find rest. Poor Tom's a-weary o' wanderin', a-hey."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Meddlesome priest?" asks Henry. "Do you mean Thomas a Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury who was killed in the cathedral there by four Crusaders, apparently on behalf of the King? Were you one of those knights, Tom? Is that why you're cursed? If we could find a way for you to enter Canterbury Cathedral, then the curse would be broken? I'm sure there must be a way, and if we all work together, we could find it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Enthusiastic nods from the fellow indicate that Doctor North has hit upon the heart of the matter, although the afflicted old man is not articulate enough to express this in the appropriate words.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Remarkable," Lila says. "Shall we make arrangements for passage on a ship back to London with an extra berth for Tom?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”