SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I meant to say Grace point. Used to re-roll a bad dice result.
Spoiler:
I get it now. Ines will definitely wish to spend the evening so.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, an excellent idea," says Henry. "London is a good place to do what research we need, and when we're ready we can proceed from there to Canterbury."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

This being settled, arrangements are made for passage from Brest to Plymouth, which lies roughly sixty leagues from London.

During the passage, which is a swift and pleasant one, owing to good weather, it is notable that the sailors, notoriously a superstitious lot, avoid having anything to do with the old fellow. If questioned about this, they are unable to provide clear reasons, explaining their behavior as based on bad feelings about him.

Upon arrival at the noted port city, the man shows some signs of excitement.

"Knows this place Tom does, a-hey. First of the four is the soft silver, a-grows in the ground not far, hey. Gives to Tom, will?"

Whilst engaged in obtaining lodging and transportation, the party may spend some time contemplating these puzzling words. Asked to clarify the nature of the item desired, the fellow -- whose wits are clearly not in as good a shape as one might wish -- is unable to recall the proper name of it.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

"Given the nature of what Tom ultimately seeks, I wonder if now might not be the time to seek the favor of advice from Macaria on what must be done in order to accomplish this," Lila suggests.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should hold that favour in reserve for now," says Henry. "We may need it later when it's a matter of life and death. Let's first try to figure this out ourselves. Apparently we need four things, and the first one is something silver and soft that grows in the ground near here. A mushroom, perhaps?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Dandelions?" wonders Ines, thinking of of the way the seeds drift like spirits.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Ah, I see." Lila racks her brain for an idea as to what this 'first of the four' might be.
Spoiler:
Wisdom check 12 as I'm afraid my own brain is non-functional. Or should it be Intelligence 11?
[dice]0[/dice]
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Davenport's intuition suggests a possible hint as to the nature of the item in question. It cannot be mere coincidence that Tom (for such we shall assume is the name of the elderly fellow, presuming that he speaks of himself in the third person rather than some unknown other) bethought himself of the "first of four" upon arrival in this region of England. Could there be some substance for which this area, where Devon and Cornwall meet, is noted?
Spoiler:
I don't want to give too much away, so I'll allow a successful Wisdom or Intelligence roll to provide some kind of hint.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't want to give too much away, so I'll allow a successful Wisdom or Intelligence roll to provide some kind of hint.
Curses! I believe I have gleaned the answer, but it does not seem like something Ines would realise. :x (Though I would not so impugn the character of our dear Victoria as to suggest that she is sniggering at this).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Go ahead and make a suggestion. There is no restriction on what bright idea might occur to any character.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Substance," says Ines as if tasting the word. "Could it be tin? I once travelled a little while with a whitesmith, and I think he spoke of his tin coming from Cornwall."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This remark draws the rapt attention of Tom, who undergoes a seeming metamorphosis. Suddenly he seems taller, more alert, even younger. He stands straight, unlike his usual twisted posture, and addresses Ines.

"Yes, tin is the first of the four items. It is associated with Earth. The other three are associated with Air, Fire, and Water. A lump of virgin tin, newly torn from the Earth, the size of a large man's hands, must be obtained to begin the process of removing the curse."

After this remarkable statement, Tom returns to his former condition. He is unable to recall anything he said, and speaks in his usual eccentric and half-mad manner.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Fascinating," Lila says. "Well, Canterbury lies east beyond London hence we have some journeying to do first, and the countryside is likely dotted with mines. Shall we strike out or inquire in Plymouth town?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, that does make sense," says Henry. "We might as well inquire while we're in town. It shouldn't be too hard to find some virgin tin with it so plentiful in the area, though most deposits of it will already be owned. Perhaps Ivan could get a job for a day mining tin, asking to keep such a lump rather than be paid in money."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is a simple matter to obtain a lump of unworked tin, and the party proceeds on the long journey to Canterbury.

After some time on the road, the adventurers (and their hired driver) pause for rest and refreshment at a pleasant spot, where a gentle stream runs past a grassy field. This inspiring scene appears to excite Tom into a state of agitation.

"Second of four was, is not, 'twill be, a-hey. Gather must the rain that falls not from sky, hey."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"The spray from a waterfall? Or perhaps dew?" suggests Ines, buoyed by the success of her earlier intuition.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

When he hears this statement, Tom once again undergoes a transformation in character.

"Collect a flask of fresh morning dew and stopper it well, that it might not evaporate."

After making this lucid statement, he returns to a state of incoherence, and is unable to supply any more information regarding this peculiar errand.

If the party wishes to undertake this seemingly pointless errand, it will have to remain at this grass-filled place, and await the first traces of dawn, when dew is likely to form, the day being warm and the evening expected to be cool. This will entail such precautions as are proper for remaining in this isolated locale overnight.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's collect the dew, then," says Henry. "It must represent the element of Water. Fortunately, flasks with stoppers are basic scientific equipment, and I should have one. I can seal it with wax, too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Very good. Perhaps it would be prudent for us to set a watch overnight. Bandits are not unheard of and there are stranger things abroad."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I agree," says Henry. "Ivan and I can each stand watch. I'll take the last watch, so that I can collect the dew when it forms."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”