Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Chapter the Twelfth: A Lengthy Search

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

This itinerary being decided upon, the adventurers will have adequate time to gather such materials as they wish, and otherwise prepare themselves for the journey ahead. In particular, it is a question worth pondering as to whether Miss Carrow had best remain in London -- perhaps arranging for future nuptials -- and thus avoid exposing herself to the unknown dangers of the quest, or accompany the party and continue to provide inspiration for the others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry does not want Elizabeth placed in further danger, but he also doesn't want to exclude her if she does wish to accompany them to Canterbury, so he asks her whether she would prefer to remain in London or go with them. He also writes a letter to his patient to let him know that he has returned to England and will pay him a visit when he can.
OOC,I'm not sure if that is on the way to Canterbury or not. I can't even remember who he is or where he lives, it was so long ago.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
I believe that Ines is referring to one of the many random subplots I've improvised for this adventure. The character is question is actually Pierre LaMont. Long story short: Ines encountered a woman in Rochester claiming to carry his child who thought he was dead, and wished her to carry a letter acknowledging his paternity to his family. The party encountered his mother in France, and discovered that he was kept locked up in their chateau, as he was subject to fits of madness after having fallen off a horse and hit his head. When last seen, he was left at the Sorbonne with the best medical care available in hopes of effecting a cure.

Rochester would not be very much out of the way on a trip to Canterbury.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
I don't think Lila has anything outstanding from before.

Doctor North might be referring to the patient he treated for gout just before leaving for France. I managed to find the letter he got:

My Lord,

I regret to inform you that Mister Beddows' condition has worsened. Far from relieving his gout, the nostrum you prepared for him has led to extended periods of internal upset. I have volunteered to send this message to you on his behalf, fearing that, left to his own devices, his letter would prove intemperate. If you are ever in the vicinity of Lancaster upon another occasion, perhaps you would be kind enough to attempt some other remedy.

In haste,

Mary Jones, Nurse
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
I see. Lancaster would be quite far out of the way.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

While back in London, Lila sends a note of regards to the mysterious Mrs. Piper, whose warnings led them to France.
Last edited by Rooter on Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
I believe that Ines is referring to one of the many random subplots I've improvised for this adventure. The character is question is actually Pierre LaMont. Long story short: Ines encountered a woman in Rochester claiming to carry his child who thought he was dead, and wished her to carry a letter acknowledging his paternity to his family. The party encountered his mother in France, and discovered that he was kept locked up in their chateau, as he was subject to fits of madness after having fallen off a horse and hit his head. When last seen, he was left at the Sorbonne with the best medical care available in hopes of effecting a cure.

Rochester would not be very much out of the way on a trip to Canterbury.
Spoiler:
Yes, that is who I was referring to. Though the news is bad, Ines cannot shirk delivering it.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is not unexpected that some time passes whilst various letters are exchanged throughout the kingdom.

Perhaps it is also no great surprise to discover, via a short reply from the nurse Mary Jones, that Mister Beddows has succumbed to the disease from which he suffered so. Requiescat in pace.

With some help from her companions, Ines is able to compose a letter directed to the young woman whom she encountered at the Six Poor Travellers House in Rochester. The person in question having gone elsewhere in the meantime, there is only a brief reply from the proprietor, stating that her present whereabouts are unknown to him.

Miss Davenport composes a letter to Mrs. Piper, relating the strange adventures she has shared with her companions. That lady does not appear to be very surprised by much that has occurred. Strange woman! However, she expresses great interest in the fate of the fellow known only as "poor Tom," and is able to supply a small bit of information as to the hazards the party may face in their effort to provide him with eternal rest.

The guardians of whom this wretched figure speaks will most likely be of four kinds, one associated with each element, in keeping with the Law of Balance. I suggest you make whatsoever preparations that may seem appropriate to deal with such manifestations.
Spoiler:
This is the time to obtain whatever supplies, within reason, you may desire. I will allow you to decide amongst yourselves whether Miss Carrow should come with you or not. I will be off for a day, then be back for a couple of days. At that time I will probably start a new chapter.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry collects various things to aid them. In addition to replacing his confiscated pistol, he collects a bellows, which might be useful against the guardian of Air, and a bag full of sand that could be of help against the guardian of Fire.
OOC,I'm going to be away myself from tomorrow through Sunday. Yes, that was the patient to which I referred.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Beside the obvious step of packing torches to make natural fire, Lila consults her tomes on Demonology for any references to what happened at Canterbury or element-specific substances which may aid them.
Spoiler:
Intelligence 11[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Regarding Miss Carrow, I say we leave her since she isn't being played anymore plus with Ines, Dr. North, Ivan and Lila we would have four for the four guardians.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”