Page 1 of 1

Chapter the Eleventh: An Interrupted Celebration

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Chapter the Eleventh: An Interrupted Celebration; Or, The Disturbing Message

All preparations being made, the midday feast in celebration of the Baron's birthday commences. The meal is a long and leisurely one, consisting of many small courses, served with ales, wines, and mineral waters of good, if not outstanding, quality. Between the various dishes gifts are presented to the Baron. All in all it is a pleasant, if rather sedate, affair. A notable fact is that there are no hot foods served. Although the fishes, soups, meats, and vegetable dishes are unobjectionable, one may wish that the host did not have such a taste for comestibles served at room temperature or cooler.

Whilst the meal continues, one by one the Baron's family offers their gifts. The Baroness presents a set of fine quills, with which the Baron is quite pleased. A little later Charlotte rushes out of her seat, bestows a kiss upon her father's cheek, and gives him several sheets of paper. It will be learned, in time, that these contain a rather ridiculous tale which she has composed, some nonsense or other about a princess rushing off with her pirate lover in search of adventure. The Baron grins at this silly offering, and it is obvious that Charlotte is, as they say, the apple of his eye.

In stark contrast, Stephan does not rise, nor does he have any object at hand to present. He merely speaks softly and with exaggerated courtesy.

-- In honor of this occasion, I hereby pledge my continuing obedience. --

The Baron is somewhat taken aback by this and does not respond, as if uncertain whether his younger son speaks with sincerity or insolence. Raquel, sensitive to the awkwardness of this moment, takes the opportunity to present the handkerchief which she has embroidered, which the Baron accepts with much praise for its fine workmanship.

Some time passes before Isaac offers a small vial or urn of unusual design, inscribed with strange markings. As he explains in greater detail than is perhaps wonted, the slow but relentless hand of Time has fused the lid and body together, so that it would be difficult to open the container without damaging it. The object is therefore assumed to be of great age, and is offered as a curious antique. The Baron seems bemused but appreciative.

After accepting Doctor North's generous gift with gratitude, and enjoying the delicious treats prepared by the ladies, the Baron rises, as if about to make a speech. Before he can say anything, however, a bespectacled servant of advanced age, who evidently serves his master as a clerk, interrupts him.

-- I beg your pardon, but this message has just arrived. It is marked most urgent. --

He withdraws as the Baron breaks the seal of the letter and reads it. As he does so his face turns pale, then red. He tosses the paper into the fire (which, it will have been observed, does not warm the room very much.) He then whispers something to his wife and leaves the room. The Baroness stares blankly into space.

Re: Chapter the Eleventh: An Interrupted Celebration

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"Baroness, what is wrong?" asks Henry, concerned. "Is there any way I or my companions can help?"

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:38 am
by SunlessNick

Do most people remain seated or rise from the table in the wake of this startling event?

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Events having occurred so suddenly, the other members of the family remain seated, looks of surprise on their faces.
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 1 for True Innocent = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Convinced of the sincerity of Doctor North's concern, the Baroness reveals the sad truth of the matter.

"It is Guillaume! He writes to say that he has deserted the army! Oh, the shame of it!" With that she wipes away a tear.

Hearing this, Stephan rushes from the table and hurries in the same direction as his father. Charlotte goes to comfort her mother as best she can.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 am
by SunlessNick

Ines glances around the people at the table, looking for anyone who seems like they may have insight into what is happening.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 for True Innocent = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Ines is insightful enough to notice that, although Raquel seems truly shocked by this revelation, Isaac is unperturbed, as if this event does not surprise him at all.

-- Come, daughter. -- he says to Raquel, apparently forgetting that the Gypsy understands Spanish. -- I have preparations to make. --

With that he leads her away from the room.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we find him quickly," says Henry, "we may be able to convince him to go back before it is too late. Then he would only be absent without leave for however long he has been gone. I wonder...perhaps Guillaume is the one who told those other soldiers about the abandoned area of the Chateau. He may be with them even now, or if not, they may know his whereabouts. If we locate them, we could locate him. Failing that, we know of their interest in that part of the Chateau, and that they will attempt to gain entry."

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:44 am
by SunlessNick

"Did not the note on the map mention his name?" says Ines, in English (in the hopes that the Baroness will not understand and suffer the further blow that would come with this revelation).

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:22 pm
by Rooter

"Indeed," Lila concurs, watching Senor del Garazoga depart with mounting unease. "Perhaps Charlotte, who seems to know the various nooks and crannies of the area well, may be able to speculate on her brother's whereabouts and reasons. For my own part I believe an exploration of the chapel in particular is in order."
Spoiler:
If appropriate, a Demonology check to determine if she recognizes a strong likelihood of a supernatural element at play in the persistent cold etc.
INT 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 TI[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As Doctor North agrees with Ines that the map did indeed mention the name of the Baron's elder son, Miss Davenport meditates upon the peculiar coldness of the Chateau, eventually coming to the conclusion that there is not yet enough information to determine if it be of a preternatural nature.

By this time Charlotte has accompanied her mother to another room, where they may commiserate in private. Meanwhile, the voices of Stephan and the Baron can be heard from behind the door of the study, although the adventurers are not close enough to make out their conversation.

The members of the family being busy with their own concerns, the party is free to make such plans as they see fit. It seems likely that they will not be prevented from exploring the abandoned portion of the Chateau, if they so desire. They may also wish to determine if they should invite Isaac along on such an expedition, he having expressed some interest. (It seems obvious that Raquel would not wish to come along, but Miss Carrow's devotion to Doctor North may be sufficient to persuade her to join him, if he wishes her company.)

The sound of rain can be heard from without, as well as an occasional rumble of distant thunder.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Isaac expressed an interest in seeing that part of the Chateau," says Henry. "We may wish to invite him along. I am reluctant to expose you to possible danger, Elizabeth, but I would feel better having you by my side should you choose to join us. We definitely need to bring the mirror. If there is a spirit or spirits haunting those rooms, we will have need of it."

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 am
by SunlessNick

As soon as the company is alone, Ines will relate Isaac's seeming lack of surprise, and his words to Raquel. "He obviously has some design, but the incident on the road would be a strange strategy were he in league with the two soldiers."

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps Guillaume has deserted because he is in love," says Henry. "He may be planning to marry Raquel, in which case he would need her father's permission. That would explain why he was not surprised. However, she does not appear to be aware of any such plans as yet."

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am
by Rooter

"The weather outside would seem to suggest now as a good time to explore within," Lila says. In preparation she will gather materials for torches, both for lighting and possible use as a weapon.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party's conversation is interrupted by Stephan storming out of his father's study, slamming the door behind himself, and rushing outside, with no thought of preparing himself for the storm. He rubs his cheek absently as he passes by, as if he has sustained some injury there.

When informed of the adventurers intention to explore the deserted portion of the Chateau, Isaac requests a few moments to gather together some items which may of useful. He returns from his room a little while later, seemingly just as he left; apparently whatever he carries is small enough to be concealed about his person.

"After you," he says. "Begin the search wheresoever you think best."

A long, dark corridor leads to the empty rooms, which are laid out at the end of it to the left and right, forming what would be seen from above as the letter T. Immediately to the left are a pair of servants' rooms, and to the left of them a storeroom. Immediately to the right is the old library; beyond it, three small bedrooms, evidently intended for children; and, finally the abandoned chapel.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 am
by Rooter

Lila's attention is focused upon investigating the chapel and perhaps the children's bedrooms but she inquires if the others wish to explore elsewhere. "Best you keep a close eye on the Senor, methinks," she whispers to Ines.

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:45 pm
by SunlessNick
Wruter wrote:"Best you keep a close eye on the Senor, methinks," she whispers to Ines.

Ines will do as Miss Davenport suggests - as well as a close ear for anything he might say to himself in Spanish. She herself will avoid saying anything in Spanish (or Calo) so as not to betray that she understands them.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As soon as the the lantern illuminates the branching corridor to the right, a startling sight appears.
Spoiler:
CHA = 11[dice]0[/dice]
So shocking is it that Miss Carrow drops into a swoon before anyone else can react.

The two soldiers' bodies lie on the floor, their arms raised as if to ward off some attacker, their hands twisted into claws. Their skin is of a pale blue shade, and frost covers their clothing. Upon closer examination it may be seen that their flesh is frozen solid.

"Poor chaps," Isaac remarks. "Evidently they sought shelter here from the elements, and did not realize that this part of the Chateau was not warmed by fires. No doubt they arrived soaked with rain, and perished from the complete loss of phlogiston from their bodies. Requiescat in pace." After a moment of silence, he speaks again. "Shall we continue, or see to the proper burial of these two men? Should the Baron and Baroness be informed?"

Of course, the attention of the party is currently directed at reviving the unfortunate Miss Carrow.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry catches Elizabeth and takes out smelling salts to try to revive her.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Fainting is supposed to last 1d4 rounds, but since we're not really using rounds, let's try something else just for fun. CON = 9[dice]0[/dice]
As luck would have it, the smelling salts are quite effective, and Miss Carrow is quickly restored to her senses. She turns away from the frightening sight and seeks safety in Doctor North's arms.

"What . . . what happened?" she asks weakly.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:57 am
by Rooter

Unconvinced by Isaac's explanation, Lila kneels to examine the bodies.
Spoiler:
Demonology roll for identifying a possible preternatural cause of death
INT 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 TI[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
All that can be unequivocally determined about the demise of the soldiers is that they were exposed at some time to extreme cold; a fact which is obvious to all.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm
by SunlessNick

"I think we are both sure this was no natural death, yes?" murmurs Ines to Miss Davenport.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm
by Rooter

"I am certainly beginning to wonder. I think we should continue with or without Miss Carrow. In this direction lies the old library, the children's bedrooms and the chapel." Lila pauses to light one of the torches before gingerly searching the dead soldiers' pockets for any clues.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"You fainted when you saw the two soldiers, my dear," explains Henry. "They appear to have frozen to death. I could examine their bodies in more detail later to get a better idea of exactly how they died. They seem to have been terrified of something. At least Guillaume wasn't with them. Are you all right to continue, Elizabeth, or would you rather go back? Those of us who are staying should try the chapel first. That seems the safest place. Someone should alert the Baron and Baroness about the soldiers."

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 3 For True Love + 1 for True Innocent = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North's tender manner towards Miss Carrow heartens her resolve.

"I will face whatever awaits us, as long as you are by my side," she says softly.

Isaac volunteers to inform their hosts of this unfortunate incident. He leaves the party.

Close examination of the two soldiers does not reveal anything else about the manner of their deaths, nor do they carry anything of interest upon their persons.

There being a great deal of clutter in the hallway leading to the chapel, the party proceeds slowly and carefully to the chapel, allowing ample time for Isaac to return. He states that arrangements have been made for servants to discreetly bury the bodies, with all appropriate ceremony, at a convenient time.

The abandoned chapel lies beyond a heavy wooden door which is currently held shut by a heavy latch and lock, preventing easy entry.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:42 am
by SunlessNick

Ines directs a glance after the retreating Isaac, trying to be sure that he is indeed returning to the inhabited portion of the Chateau.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 TI = 12[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:03 am
by Mr. Handy

"I believe I can deal with this lock," says Henry, examining it closely. He first checks to see if there are any traps, and then sees if the latch is metal. If it is, he will try to open it by using his lodestone's magnetic properties. Failing that, he will attempt to pick the lock.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines directs a glance after the retreating Isaac, trying to be sure that he is indeed returning to the inhabited portion of the Chateau.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 + 1 TI = 12[dice]206654:0[/dice]
Acting on a hunch, the wary Gypsy is able to determine that the direction in which Isaac sets out would take him to his own room instead of to the Baron and the Baroness.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I believe I can deal with this lock," says Henry, examining it closely. He first checks to see if there are any traps, and then sees if the latch is metal. If it is, he will try to open it by using his lodestone's magnetic properties. Failing that, he will attempt to pick the lock.
Upon closer examination, it is evident that there are several fresh scratch marks on the door around the latch, as if it had been meddled with recently. It is also obvious that the latch is of great age, but the lock is a new one. Both are constructed from ordinary iron and steel. There is no evidence of any traps associated with them. As Nature dictates, the metal reacts in the expected manner to the lodestone, being attracted to it and moving the mechanism within the lock with many a quiet clicking sound. However interesting this phenomenon may be, it does not appear to have been of benefit in opening the lock, which is strong, but of simple design. Doctor North proceeds with subtler methods.
Spoiler:
I'm thinking the magnet won't do much, but there's a good chance of picking the lock.
DEX = 10 + 3 Mechanical Genius + 1 TI = 14[dice]0[/dice]
Unfortunately all of Doctor North's skill with mechanical devices avails him naught, most likely because this lock is designed to make use of sheer brute strength to resist all attempts to tamper with it.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 am
by SunlessNick

Ines alerts the other members of the party to Isaac's course.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am
by Rooter

"Perhaps we should ask the Baron for the key. Yet given the grave state of matters it may be expedient to attempt a forced entry. The latch is of great age. Ivan, is your strength equal to breaking the door down? Otherwise, I wonder if the broken window we saw from outside might lead to the chapel and provide a way in for us." After a moment's thought, Lila adds, "But these soldiers were outside of the locked chapel when they died." She looks at the position of the bodies to see if it is possible to determine which direction they were moving toward, or away from, when they were apparently struck down.

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The mighty Russian nods, indicating that he is willing to try, if his master allows it.
Spoiler:
As this is an unusually secure door, this will require making us of Ivan's daily Feat of Strength, adding 3 to his basic strength.
The position of the bodies indicates that the soldiers were outside the chapel, facing it, when they were last alive.

It occurs to the party that, given the position of the broken window, it could not have been leading to the chapel; in fact, if memory serves, the view of the Chateau seen during the excursion without suggests that the chapel has no windows at all.

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'd prefer to minimize the damage we do to the door," says Henry. "If you feel there's no time to ask the Baron for the key, I have something else I can try first. I still have the aqua regia we found in that old castle. It dissolves metal, and it should make quick work of the lock and latch."

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 am
by Rooter

"That sounds like a good idea," Lila concurs.

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
These two ideas having been discussed, Isaac offers a bit of information that may be of interest.

"I believe the Baron keeps the the key somewhere in his study," he remarks.

The party may choose to attempt to obtain the key, or make use of the aqua regia.

By this time two male servants have arrived to take care of the bodies. It is obvious that they find the task an unpleasant one, but wisely ask no questions.

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is time truly of the essence now?" asks Henry. "We've waited this long to explore this part of the Chateau. Surely a few more minutes to retrieve the key won't matter? I'd hate to cause damage to our host's home, even if he never uses this part of it."

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 am
by Rooter

"Yes, quite, if we are able to convince the Baron, who has not been entirely agreeable to us entering these parts. Otherwise a measure of deception of our host will be required in any case in order to obtain the key."

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"The fact that his son's life is danger should be sufficient motivation," says Henry. "The other two soldiers froze to death in this part of the Chateau, and our locating him is his only chance. Elizabeth could certainly help with persuading him."

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 am
by SunlessNick

"Subterfuge would be of less help than persuasion," says Ines, "unless any of us would know the right key by sight."

Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:42 pm
by Rooter

"Indeed," Lila agrees. "Perhaps we ought to confront the Baron about his son Guillaume's apparent involvement in these matters."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"Your scruples speak well for your characters," Isaac remarks, "but they may be moot at this juncture. The Baron is not currently in his study, and may not welcome distractions, being so upset by the news from his elder son. As for Stephan, I think there is no love lost between the Baron and his younger son, so he may not be overly concerned about his current whereabouts. I believe the Baron keeps his keys in his study somewhere and not about his person, as they are quite heavy to carry. Might I suggest a search of the study? I would be glad to remain here and watch over the chapel if you care to engage in such an activity."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps that is for the best, then," says Henry.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:26 am
by SunlessNick

As soon as the company is out of earshot of Isaac, Ines will remark, "This seems a very neat method of getting us out of the way. Perhaps one of us should keep a watch on him. I am willing to do so - you would not need me to obtain the Baron's key."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:16 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This plan being agreed upon, and it being clear that Ivan and Miss Carrow will choose to remain with Doctor North, it only remains to see whether Miss Davenport will accompany him also or remain with Ines in an attempt to keep a watchful eye on Isaac.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 am
by Rooter

Lila elects to remain in the vicinity of the chapel with Ines, more wary of who or whatever killed the soldiers than of Isaac.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:10 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Doctor North, Miss Carrow, and Ivan proceed to the Baron's study. The door is wide open, the room in disarray. The Baron's writing desk is a chaos of scattered papers and other items.
Spoiler:
WIS to find something; Doctor North = 11 + 1 = 12; Ivan = 9 + 1 = 10; Miss Carrow = 8;[dice]0[/dice]
The two men rummage through the strewn objects, quickly locating a large iron ring containing many keys. They also find a drawing of what seems to be a gem, with the words he shall not have it! inscribed in a rough hand.
Spoiler:
DEX to avoid detection; 10 + 1 = 11; 9+ 1 = 10; 7[dice]1[/dice]
This procedure inevitably requires making an appreciable amount of noise, in response to which the Baron enters in an agitated state.

"What is the meaning of this?" he says hotly.

The two ladies attempt to keep watch over Isaac without his notice.
Spoiler:
DEX to avoid detection; Miss Davenport = 18; Ines = 10[dice]2[/dice]
As silently as the proverbial church mice, they observe Isaac place his hand near the latch without touching it. He murmurs a few words in an unknown language. A pale blue-green light appears briefly near his fingers, like that of a will-o'-the-wisp. It vanishes, and the latch falls open. He opens the door easily, stepping inside and closing it behind himself quietly.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm
by Rooter

"Sorcery!" Lila exclaims. "And could not such powers also be used to freeze the soldiers as we saw? What are his designs?" So saying, she moves to follow Senor del Garazoga quietly inside the chapel, thence to observe his actions.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I had been hoping to find you, Baron," says Henry, "but I needed to take action swiftly, for there may not be much time. I am sure you heard by now how we found those two soldiers frozen to death. If Guillaume was with them, he could be freezing too. I know you are disappointed in him, but surely his life should be preserved. We believe he may have locked himself in the chapel. Alone and without warmth, he will surely perish without quick help."

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:31 pm
by SunlessNick
Wruter wrote:"Sorcery!" Lila exclaims. "And could not such powers also be used to freeze the soldiers as we saw? What are his designs?" So saying, she moves to follow Senor del Garazoga quietly inside the chapel, thence to observe his actions.

Ines follows Miss Davenport.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 1 = 10[dice]0[/dice]
The Baron does not appear to be persuaded by Doctor North's explanation.

"I know nothing about the fate of the soldiers you claim to have seen before, but if they exist at all I wish them to Perdition. As far as Guilliame is concerned, that is none of your affair. I will thank you to vacate my study at once."

With that he collapses into his chair, his head in his hands.

As Ines and Miss Davenport enter the chapel they feel a warm breeze, as if it were a summer day within. Isaac speaks to them urgently without facing them, his attention instead focused on the room's abandoned altar.

"For God's sake, go! I cannot protect you much longer!"

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"My apologies, Baron," says Henry, bowing. "We shall leave you in peace." He returns to the chapel with Elizabeth and Ivan.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am
by Rooter

Lila stands her ground. "Protect us, Senor? It seems rather you are attempting to deceive us." Nevertheless she casts a sharp glance at her surrounds, and the altar in particular, her senses alert to any suggestion of preternatural activity.
Spoiler:
Demonology 11 + 1[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Knowing that Miss Davenport is adept at detecting supernatural evil, Ines keeps her eyes on the Senor and his movements.

Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:38 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Miss Davenport's experience with the ways in which preternatural forces are often locked in mortal combat allows her to perceive that the abandoned chapel is now the battleground between two such unnatural powers. The clash is visible as a thin mist between Isaac and the shattered altar. He breathes heavily, as one engaged in hard labor, his hands thrown up; then, with a sigh, stumbles back, crashing into the wall, exhausted.

At the same time, the mist gathers itself together into a vague human form, as if one were to attempt to carve the figure of a woman from a thick fog. Her features are hardly distinguishable, but it seems as if tears flow copiously from empty eye sockets and fall to the ground in the form of small pieces of ice. The sound of a mighty boreal wind fills the room, lashing at those within as if they stood upon a high mountain top. The woman, if such she be, raises her hands; from her translucent fingers a cone of pale blue light is projected at the party.
Spoiler:
1 = Isaac; 2 = Miss Davenport; 3 = Ines[dice]0[/dice]
As if the being knows who poses the greatest threat to her supernatural existence, the eldritch light is aimed directly at Miss Davenport.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12 to minimize damage[dice]1[/dice]
Having had little warning, the bold Demon Hunter is unable to prepare a spiritual defense against this onslaught. She feels as if she is encased in a tomb of solid ice.
Spoiler:
the Cone of Cold does 5d6 of damage[dice]2[/dice]

19 points of Lethal Damage, leaving 5
Miss Davenport is severely injured, but not yet incapacitated. At this moment, Doctor North, Ivan, and Miss Carrow enter the room and behold the shocking sight of Miss Davenport nearly completely covered by a thin layer of frost.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow having already seen the soldiers in a similar state, I won't have her risk fainting.
The various members of the party may take such actions as they see fit before the being strikes again.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:00 am
by SunlessNick

"Dr North, the mirror!" shouts Ines as she moves between the figure and Miss Davenport.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:09 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Is Lila able to move or speak? Also is there any chance that successful Demonology roll might identify the type of being and possible weakness etc.?

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Wruter wrote:
Spoiler:
Is Lila able to move or speak? Also is there any chance that successful Demonology roll might identify the type of being and possible weakness etc.?
Spoiler:
You are only completely Incapacitated if Hit Points reach zero, so all normal actions are possible.
Let's make the roll. INT = 11 + 1 for Demonology + 1 for the True Innocent present = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the injury sustained during this attack, Miss Davenport keeps her wits about her and contemplates the nature of this apparition. Her experience with such beings tells her that the party is facing a Spirit whose nature lies betwixt that of a relatively harmless Phantom and a dangerous and malevolent Wraith, and which might be thought of as an Obsessed Ghost. Bound to a single location, and entirely undetectable save by those who disturb its place of imprisonment, the nature of its death determines its other characteristics and its motives. In this case, it is obvious that its mortal body was killed due to exposure to the cold, explaining not only its appearance but its method of attacking those who oppose it. It is not at all certain what its obsession might be, but if this compelling desire is satisfied, the Spirit will be freed from the material plane and haunt its place no more.

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:47 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Thank you.

Lila staggers. "Isaac speaks truly! We must flee the chapel!"

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:17 am
by SunlessNick

As the nearest party to the stricken Miss Davenport, Ines rushes to help support her - at the same time, she cries out to Ivan, "Please, help Senor Isaac!"

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the adventurers make their way out of the room safely, they each hear a woman's voice, which seems to come from inside their heads rather than from any external source.

BRING ME MY HEART

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 am
by Rooter

Once they are without and the door of the chapel is closed, Lila shares her observations of the being's nature with the others, forcing herself to endure the discomfort of her icy injury. "It is plain that if we are to vanquish this spirit we must identify and satisfy its obsession, its heart. There must be someone in the Chateau who knows something of the history. But first I believe you owe us an explanation for your subterfuge, Senor del Garazoga," she adds, turning to the supposed tutor.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"You seem to have me at a disadvantage," Isaac admits. "To be sure, I have not been entirely honest with you. I assure you, however, that I have no malign intentions towards anyone here.

"I must begin my story many years ago. During one of my excursions into the land of the Berbers, I acquired certain arcane knowledge from the wise women of the nomadic tribes of that region. They believed it impossible for any man to practice magic, so they considered my curiosity about such matters a source of much amusement. Whether this be true or not in that desert land, I cannot say. But after much practice and research, I was able to duplicate a small number of their miraculous feats here in Europe. By temporarily creating a Wall of Fire I was able to hold off the attack of the specter who haunts the abandoned chapel.

"As for my motive for entering therein -- would that I had not! -- I blush to confess that it was a matter of pure avarice. Through various sources which it would be tedious to relate, I learned that a great treasure is said to be hidden somewhere in this Chateau. To be precise, a diamond of exceptional size and quality. Over many months I was able to build a reputation as a tutor, and I made certain that the Baron was aware of my skills. My intent was to locate the fabled gem, if it truly exists, and claim a reward for restoring it to its proper owners. Doubtless the unfortunate soldiers heard something about the jewel as well, and sought it for themselves.

"As some small proof of my story, I present a sketch I have made of the supposed diamond, based on the description which rumor provides."

With that he withdraws a small slip of paper from the pocket of his waistcoat.

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:42 am
by Rooter

"One cannot help observe that this diamond appears to take the shape of a heart," Lila ventures. "If it does indeed exist then perhaps this is the heart of which the spirit speaks. It seems, Senor, that I at least will be joining you in your search for this treasure."

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:47 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I thank you for being so understanding. The question remains; how is it to be found?"

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:07 pm
by SunlessNick

"Stephan seems knowledgeable of the Chateau's history and stories," ventures Ines. "Miss Charlotte did say to me that he has heard tell of the ghost, at least. She implied that he believed it, though I do not know if that is so."

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"A fine idea," Isaac says, "but one which begs the question: How are we to find Stephan, now that he has left the Chateau in such haste? Shall we face the weather and make up a search party?"

It may be noted that a steady rain continues to fall, with distant thunder heard rumbling from time to time.

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:54 am
by Rooter

"We saw him quarrel with his father," Lila observes. "Perhaps it would be as well that we brave the elements to locate him since people do foolish things in the height of emotion and there may be other soldiers abroad."

Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:51 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Quickly gathering together the proper clothing needed for the inclement weather, the party sets out in search of Stephan. Somewhat surprisingly, when Raquel learns that they are going to seek out the missing young man, she insists on coming along (although she does not know the underlying reason the adventurers are in pursuit of him.)
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport is the only person present with Tracking experience; everybody else gets a -10 when attempting to do so, so let's see how she does first. There's also a -2 penalty for rain, but + 1 for at least one True Innocent present (more than one doesn't add any more of a bonus.) The +1 for Tracking by a Demon Hunter only applies to supernatural beings being pursued. WIS = 12 -2 + 1 = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the rain washing away most traces of Stephan's path, Miss Davenport's experience with tracking allows her to guide the party in the direction he has taken. After making their way through rivulets rushing through the rocky ground, they discover him standing in a sort of small valley between two hillocks. He is soaked to the skin, water running off his bare head, although he seems to take no notice. Near him, seated on her black stallion, is Macaria, almost completely hidden under the hooded black robe she has been seen to wear before. It appears as if they are in conversation, but the rumble of thunder prevents them from being overheard.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we approach?" asks Henry.

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:59 am
by Rooter

"Stephan may not be in a helpful mood and Macaria has shown herself to be somewhat flighty," Lila suggests. "Miss Raquel, perhaps you could approach him on our behalf. I'm sure he would be pleased to see you. Naturally we would wish to ascertain his safety but also we are attempting to learn something of a heart-shaped diamond which is said to be hidden in the Chateau and a woman who once froze to death there."

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Raquel is somewhat alarmed by this revelation but is willing to undertake the task requested of her. She walks toward the two, heedless of the rain. It may be observed that she is quickly engaged in impassioned conversation with Macaria, going so far as to kneel upon the sodden ground, her arms raised in entreaty. All this time Stephan remains in a passive state. At last Macaria gestures for her to rise, speaks briefly with her, then rides away. Raquel leads Stephan by the hand back to the others.

"She is a very strange woman," she says, her voice trembling. She pauses to make the Sign of the Cross upon herself. "She says she has come to take Stephan away, but for my sake -- Heaven knows why! -- she will allow him to remain for one more day. Let us return to the Chateau, where you may speak to him as you wish."

Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:51 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines shivers in superstitious reaction to this.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we should not stay out in this weather any longer than necessary," agrees Henry. "We'll catch our deaths." He glances uneasily back at Macaria. "I wonder if perhaps my initial impression of her was correct."

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:52 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party returns to the Chateau, where they eagerly seek out a blazing fire in the main hall to dry out their damp clothing. The Baron, the Baroness, and Charlotte are not present, although it might be possible to summon one or more of them if the adventurers wish to do so. Worthy of note is the fact that Raquel remains close by Stephan's side, even going so far as to take his hand, and that Isaac seems to smile approvingly at this.

Stephan seems to come out a daze.

"Yes? What is it you wished to ask me?"

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Have you heard anything about a diamond in the shape of a heart that may be somewhere in the Chateau?" asks Henry, preferring not to waste any time.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"There are some legends about a treasure lost somewhere within the Chateau," he replies,
"but I always thought that was only a story for the gullible."

At that moment the door leading into the great hall crashes open. As if Nature herself wishes to set the scene, the silhouette of a giant of a man is illuminated by a flash of lightning. The sound of the door slamming closed behind him is perfectly timed to match the sound of thunder. The man wears a military uniform, wet and filthy. He is of immense size and obviously of great strength. Staring directly at Stephan, he roars "I have come to claim what is rightly mine!"

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"You must be Guillaume," says Henry, hoping to calm things down with politeness and diplomacy. "I am Dr. Henry North, Earl of Dunwich, a guest of your father's."

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 1 for TI = 10[dice]0[/dice]
It is evident that, whatever his crimes may be, Guillaume still has respect for one of noble blood.

"You are welcome, sir. Forgive me if I cannot offer you more than a friendly greeting, but I have matters of pressing importance."

Having overheard his dramatic entrance and speech, the other members of the family rush into the room. Both Charlotte and the Baroness greet him warmly, but the Baron is less enthused.

"I suppose you have come to claim your inheritance," he says coldly. "I am resolved to deny it to you."

"Then you would award it to this mewling weakling," Guillaume says angrily, indicating his brother.

"Bah! Neither of you is worthy of the name of de Hautommes."

"I admit that I am not a strong or brave man, Father," Stephan says quietly. "What a fine set of heirs you have produced! A coward, a criminal, and a harlot!"

The baron makes for Stephan as if to strike him, but Raquel places herself between them. For a moment all is still, as if the room were filled with living statues; then, bowing to the assembled guests, he heads for the abandoned part of the Chateau.

"I will find it with or without your help," he says as he leaves the room.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should follow him," Henry says quietly to his companions.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 pm
by Rooter

Lila agrees.

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm
by SunlessNick

"Yes we must," replies Ines in the same low tone. "Lest he come to the same fate as his fellow soldiers."

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Guillaume is seen to proceed to the abandoned part of the Chateau, making no effort to conceal his actions. As he reaches the T-intersection, he looks both ways, as if uncertain which to choose. With a shrug he turns to the left, where he rummages through the old servants' quarters with no evident plan in mind. He finds nothing of interest, merely rags and other detritus.
Spoiler:
lowest DEX in the party = 9 + 1 for TI = 10[dice]0[/dice]
He becomes aware of the party's presence, it being impossible to move through the chaos of discarded items, et alia, as one moves through these dim corridors without making some sound. He turns to address them.

"Have you come to help or to hinder? I warn you, anything of value here belongs to me!"

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"To help, of course," says Henry. "Are you by any chance looking for a large diamond in the shape of a heart?"

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Guillaume stares at Doctor North with evident alarm, his eyes open wide.

"How do you know about that? Who has been telling tales?"

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 am
by Rooter

"Sir, at least part of the tales is true. I beseech you to have care and do not enter the chapel yonder for you may share the fate of your soldiers." Lila explains the discovery of the two bodies and the presence of an icy spirit. "Perhaps, knowing the Chateau, you might also be aware of this 'heart's' significance to one who may have perished of the cold long ago?"

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Guillaume does not appear to be overly surprised by the fates of the two soldiers.

"Fools and rascals! I admit that I may have said something about the family fortune whilst indulging in more wine than was wise; but all this talk of 'spirits' is mere superstition. As for the chapel, believe me, I have scoured every inch of it, again and again, years ago, and there is nothing of interest to be found there. The treasure must be somewhere else, and I mean to have it!"

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:23 pm
by SunlessNick

"We have seen the spirit ourselves," says Ines.

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It is true," says Henry. "Miss Davenport is lucky to still be alive after that encounter."

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I have neither the time nor the inclination to argue metaphysics," Guillaume replies. He proceeds to the storeroom, which is a chaos of discarded items of a remarkable variety. He will obviously be occupied in rummaging through them for some time, and appears to pay no further mind to the adventurers.
Spoiler:
WIS = 9[dice]0[/dice]
"Ah-ha!" he cries. "What have we here?" He thrusts a small object into the pocket of his waistcoat, worn under his coatee. "Not that which I seek, but worthy of investigating."

He continues to search through the rubble.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am
by Rooter

"Shall we make a search of the other empty rooms ourselves?" Lila suggests. "One of us may spot something pertinent. Besides the storeroom there are the servants' rooms, the old library, and the children's bedrooms."

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:15 pm
by SunlessNick

"Yes," agrees Ines, now glad of a reason to leave Guillaume's uncongenial company.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Having decided to investigate the abandoned rooms for themselves, it remains to be seen which members of the party will search through which rooms. They may, of course, search individually or in groups, keeping in mind the fact that their activities are likely to rouse the interest of the Baron and his family, whose approval of such is not guaranteed. It may possibly be of relevance to note that Guillaume remains occupied in the storeroom, and that he has already searched through the servants' quarters and found nothing of interest. This does not mean, to be sure, that there is nothing there.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"The library would be a good source of information," says Henry, "and I feel at home in such a place. I should like to search there."

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Doctor North proceeds to the abandoned library. It is, as one would expect, full of half-broken bookshelves leaning against one another like drunken men, the crumbling pages of old, rotting tomes jumbled together.
Spoiler:
WIS checks: Doctor North = 11 + 1 = 12; Ivan = 9 + 1 = 10; Miss Carrow = 8.[dice]0[/dice]
Not at all used to perusing ancient written works, Miss Carrow stands by and provides inspiration for her beloved and his loyal manservant. Almost at the same moment, the two men discover a broadside, barely legible and yellowing with age. It relates, in French, of the disappearance of a young woman nearly half a century ago, with foul play suspected, the incident occurring not far from the Chateau. A substantial reward for any information leading to her recovery, or to the apprehension of those who may have done harm to her. Appended is the signature and seal of what is obviously an ancestor of the current Baron.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 am
by Rooter

Meanwhile, Lila ventures into the children's bedrooms.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
this is for my own use only[dice]0[/dice]
Ines having indicated a willingness to join Miss Davenport in her explorations, the two ladies begin a search of the children's rooms.
Spoiler:
WIS = 11 AND 12[dice]1[/dice]
After some time, they find within the second of three rooms an old doll, or poppet, fashioned in the form of a young woman attired in clothing of some decades past. This seemingly trivial item, obviously a plaything for a girl child of long ago, would not ordinarily draw much attention; however, the investigators discover that it is curiously heavy; much more so that its small size would suggest.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am
by Rooter

Lila examines the poppet closely for some indication as to the cause of the additional weight.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
WIS = 12[dice]0[/dice]
By moving the doll back and forth, it becomes evident that there is a small object of great density within it.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am
by Rooter

Lila suggests that they rejoin the doctor before attempting to unearth this foreign object.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:48 pm
by SunlessNick

"And perhaps wait until we can conceal further examination from Guillaume."

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry leads the way back to rejoin the others so he can show them what he has found.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
By this time the great commotion made by Guillaume has drawn the attention of the other members of his family, as well as Isaac and Raquel. Singly or in pairs, they arrive at the abandoned part of the Chateau. Guillaume makes no answer to their inquiries, completely intent on his search. Raquel does what she can in the role of a peacemaker, attempting to pour oil upon troubled waters, desiring to heal the breach between the Baron and Stephan. The Baroness does not seem quite as distressed as her husband, perhaps because she is content to have her elder son returned sound in wind and limb, if not in temperament. She draws near the adventurers and bares her soul.

"These men and their list for riches! How I wish they would abandon this fruitless quest for fortune. Is there anything you can do to end this madness?"

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"There might be a way," says Henry. "If we could find the diamond they seek first, we can dispose of it properly. It belonged to a woman who died a long time ago, and if we return it to her, she can be laid to rest at last, and the men will no longer tear the Chateau apart looking for it once they are convinced that it is gone."

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Baroness appears to be surprised, yet not shocked, by this information. "How strange. And yet that would explain the peculiar sensation I experienced so long ago. Tell me, how is this to be done?"

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm
by Mr. Handy

"This may be hard to believe," says Henry. "It's difficult for me to accept as a man of science and reason, but I cannot deny the evidence of my own eyes. The spirit of the dead woman haunts the chapel, and we met her there. She had frozen to death, and she has the ability to inflict extreme cold on others. That is what happened to those two soldiers, and Miss Davenport nearly met the same fate. The ghost demanded the return of her 'heart,' which is actually a heart-shaped diamond. Once we locate it, we can return it to her as she demands. Then both she and the diamond will be gone."

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:31 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The Baroness appears alarmed. "A diamond, you say? If such a thing exists, I fear my husband -- and my elder son, for that matter -- would never allow it to fall out of their hands. 'The love of money is the root of all evil,' or so Scripture advises."

During this whispered conversation, angry words have been flung about by the male members of the de Hautommes family, Charlotte and Raquel doing what they can to make peace, and not having notable success. At last, Guillaume storms out, evidently frustrated in his attempt to discover anything else of value. Stephan nearly collapses against a wall, his eyes closed and his head lowered. At the sight of this, Raquel goes to his side and strokes his brow. The Baron leaves as well, muttering about ungrateful children and serpents' teeth. His wife and daughter follow, in some distress.
Spoiler:
wis = 9 + 2 for Magician class = 11[dice]0[/dice]
Through careful observation, and perhaps some inspired intuition, Isaac notes the poppet which the adventurers have discovered, and realizes that they consider it to be of some importance.

"What have we here?" he inquires, in a casual tone.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:01 am
by Rooter

"We found it in one of the abandoned children's bedrooms," Lila explains. "It seems unusually heavy. It is best we examine it with caution as it is not unknown for such objects to be the vessel of spirit activity."

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is also possible that it contains what we seek," says Henry.

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines pensively keeps an eye on the men, for if any turn their attention to the conversation.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:40 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Isaac expresses great interest in the object. "In what manner do you propose to examine it?" he inquires.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am
by Rooter

"There seems to be a small object of great density inside it," Lila says. She hands the doll to Doctor North. "Doctor, perhaps a surgical procedure is required to remove it."

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"If it's necessary," says Henry, making a careful examination of the poppet, "but it may not be. Whoever put the object inside the doll apparently had a way of doing it without damaging the doll itself. There must be some mechanism to open it. Perhaps the head is screwed on and merely needs to be unscrewed, or there may be a hidden compartment."

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Upon closer study, it is obvious that the poppet has been stitched together in such a manner that there is no way to examine its interior without cutting or tearing it apart. There is no mechanism of any kind; it is simply a thing of cloth and thread.

By this time the other members of the household have retired for the night, seeking such rest as they are able to find. It does not take much imagination to summon a mental image of Guillaume wandering out into the night, in search of some isolated place of shelter; Stephan dead to the world, Raquel close to his side, a sputtering candle illuminating her dusky brow; the Baron and the Baroness in their respective chambers, awake with worry or subject to anxious dreams; and Macaria awaiting her appointed meeting.

"It is apparent," Isaac remarks, "that you are hesitant to destroy this plaything in order to reveal its secrets. Would you prefer that I undertake the risk, if any there be?" He holds out his hand, ready to take the doll if it is offered.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:17 pm
by SunlessNick

"Miss Carrow's talented fingers may be able to open it in such a way that it can be well repaired," suggests Ines.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"If there is any risk involved," says Henry, "I would not want to subject Elizabeth or Isaac to it. However, if Miss Davenport says it is safe, then that is a good idea. I am concerned about possibly offending the spirit by causing too much damage to her childhood toy. She has already proven how dangerous she can be. Perhaps the best way would be to cut open a stitch with a scalpel to get at what's inside, then sew it back up later."

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Apparently disappointed to have failed to obtain the poppet, Isaac is nonetheless ready to stand by as witness to the planned investigation.

"If you fear for the safety of the ladies, sir," Isaac remarks, "perhaps you and I might retreat to some sheltered area of the Chateau, away from the gaze of the curious?"

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:00 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wouldn't subject you to that risk either," says Henry, suspicious of Isaac's repeated attempts to get hold of the poppet. "I can do it myself, if Miss Davenport thinks it advisable. It is a simple enough surgery."

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:58 am
by SunlessNick

"I have distracted a spirit once before," says Ines. "If disturbing this doll does bring its attention, my presence may be useful." [The observant Dr North will be able to reaslise that despite referring the battle with the wraith, Ines is also motivated by suspicion of Isaac]

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being no apparent objection to the procedure, Isaac bows and withdraws to a moderate distance from the others, that he might not be thought to be interfering.

It is a simple matter to cut a few stitches with a scalpel. Revealed within the straw stuffing of the poppet, to no one's very great surprise, is the heart-shaped diamond. It may be noticed that Isaac's eyes grow wide at the sight of this glittering treasure.

Before any other reaction is possible, a sudden, intense blast of cold air, from no obvious source, stirs the hair and clothing of those present. So powerful is this boreal wind that it is difficult to remain standing as it swirls and dashes about the adventurers like the djinn of fable.
Spoiler:
Assuming everyone is here, DEX rolls to see who can avoid falling
Isaac = 9
Miss Carrow = 7
Dr. North = 10 + 1 for TI = 11
Miss Davenport = 18 + 1 TI = 19
Ivan = 9 + 1 TI = 10
Ines = 10 + 1 TI = 11
[dice]0[/dice]
It so happens that Doctor North, his beloved Miss Carrow, and his loyal manservant Ivan happen to be standing in a position where they face the full force of the blast, and are knocked to the ground.
Spoiler:
It seems logical that Dr. North would be holding the diamond. Another DEX roll to see if he can maintain it.[dice]1[/dice]
Unsurprisingly, this causes Doctor North to loose his grip upon the gem, which goes flying off, like a stone thrown by a playful child.
Spoiler:
1 = goes to Isaac, 2 = Miss Davenport, 3 = Ines, 4/5/6 = none of these[dice]2[/dice]
The treasure rolls off into a corner of the hallway, far from any of the party. Whilst those who have fallen struggle to rise, the apparition formerly encountered reappears, as if brought into being by the atmosphere itself, with only Isaac, Miss Davenport, and Ines in a position to make some sort of defense against it. Isaac is heard to be mumbling to himself in a language known to none present, and performing strange gestures with his hands. The spirit appears to hesitate a moment, as if uncertain of its goal; but it is all too probable that it will soon strike out in its deathless fury.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:34 am
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Lila only has 5 HP remaining.
Realizing the heart may be the only thing that can save them, Lila leaps out of the apparition's path and dashes toward where the diamond fell.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
DEX = 19 (WITH TI)[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport is easily able to retrieve the diamond; a feat which seems to draw the attention of the spirit.

Meanwhile, rays of bright yellow light emerge from the outstretched hands of Isaac, as if his fingers were tapers. Intense heat, like that which emerges from a forge, can be felt by those who are nearby.

"Give me the diamond," he cries "while there is still time. This warmth will protect you!"

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 pm
by Rooter

Lila hurries toward Isaac but hesitates at the last moment before giving him the diamond. He has confessed that his motives are driven by avarice and has already attempted to deceive them previously. Instead she turns and holds the heart aloft toward the spirit.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:16 pm
by SunlessNick

There being nothing she could do against the spirit, Ines watches Isaac, ready to intervene should he take hostile action toward Miss Davenport.

Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The mirror!" calls Henry as he tries to recover. "Get it ready!"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Reaching out with translucent arms the color of sea foam, the spirit seizes the diamond in its seemingly insubstantial fingers. A sensation of extreme cold fills Miss Davenport's hands, much like sudden frostbite. Whether intended or not, however, Isaac's mysteriously created rays of heat protect her from any physical harm.

The spirit places the diamond within its mist-like chest, where one would expect a heart to be. Once in this position, it undergoes an extraordinary transformation. From crystalline transparency it changes into the appearance of a living organ, beating rapidly, filling the spirit's pale form with blood, much like an anatomical chart of the circulatory system. More swiftly than words can say, this is soon hidden behind flesh, skin, and clothing of a style worn by a person of the lower classes some decades ago. Standing before the amazed adventures is what seems to be an unremarkable woman of middle years. Even this image lasts no more than a moment, when it dissolves into a mass of sparkling dust, such as is often seen when a bright ray of sunlight enters a dark room. This slowly drifts to the floor, leaving nothing else behind.

The ray of heat vanishes as Isaac breathes quickly and deeply, as if he has been engaged in great physical effort. After a while he is able to speak.

"Requiesce in pace," he says softly. "I suppose all is for the best. But, oh, what I could have done with such riches!"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am
by SunlessNick

"A better end for her than the mirror, we can hope," says Ines. "Are you well, Miss Davenport?"

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it is for the best," says Henry, regaining his feet, "though it was good we had the mirror in case this did not work. Miss Davenport could not have survived a second attack." He checks to make sure she is all right before speaking to Isaac. "Wealth is not everything it is cracked up to be," he says. "I have great wealth which I inherited from my parents, but I would trade it all in an instant to have them back. Alas, that is one thing all the wealth in the world cannot do." Though perhaps, one day, science may... he thinks.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:25 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It will not come as any great surprise to anyone that, after this extraordinary encounter, all involved are in great need of rest in the hands of Morpheus.

After enjoying long, restful, uninterrupted slumber, the adventurers awaken to discover the inhabitants of the Chateau in a quiet, if melancholy, mood. The day is cloudy and cool, the ground still damp from the previous rains. The Baron and the Baroness, unaware of what has transpired regarding the diamond, are concerned with the whereabouts of Guillaume and what is to become of the weak Stephan and the wanton Charlotte. Whether anything should be said to their hosts regarding any of these matters is left to the individual consciences of the party.

It is late morning when Stephan emerges from his room. He appears gaunt and pale. When addressed, he responds vaguely. He leaves the Chateau with little or no preparation and heads in the direction of the foothills of the Pyrenees. Somewhat alarmed, Raquel follows him. Isaac does not seem to object, but insists on coming along to keep an eye on the two young people. It appears to be a matter of indifference to him if any of the party wishes to accompany them.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We should go with them," says Henry to his companions. "We may not see Stephan again otherwise. Macaria intends to...claim him, I fear."

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:06 am
by Rooter

Lila agrees.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
At first, it seems that Stephan is merely rambling without purpose throughout the rugged countryside which lies between the Chateau and the brooding Pyrenees. It soon becomes evident, however, that his apparently random path takes him to a cove, nearly hidden by low hills, wherein lies a copse of ancient trees, bent and twisted by time. In the midst of these, in a place where the ground is bare, may be seen Macaria upon her black stallion. In what place and in what manner she has spent the past few days is puzzling, as she and her steed appear as fresh and vigorous as if they have been hosted in some fine manor, rather than in this wilderness. Be that as it may, it is evident that she is expecting Stephan, holding out a hand gloved in fine black leather to welcome him. As she becomes aware of those accompanying him, she bows her head to each in turn.

"Make your farewells quickly, my lord, ladies, and gentlemen. There is little time to spare."

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:41 pm
by SunlessNick

Having little acquaintance with Stephan, Ines merely wishes him good luck, wherever he is bound next.

Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:53 pm
by Rooter

Lila studies Stephan with concern and Macaria with growing suspicion. Is the man under some form of coercion and is this strange behavior entirely of mundane origin?
Spoiler:
Demonology check for suspicion of preternatural effects
INT 11+1[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:35 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Based on certain revealing signs, most particularly the fact that, although Macaria's skin is as white as one afflicted with the mysterious affliction of albinism, she does not possess the strange pink eyes and pale hair normally associated with such persons, these being pure black, Miss Davenport is able to determine that she is no creature born of woman. Rather, in fact, these characteristics suggest -- marvelous to relate! -- something in the nature of an abstract principle which has taken on flesh and blood, as peculiar as that may seem.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sorry you're leaving us," says Henry, shaking Stephan's hand. "At least you had one more day. Is there anything we can do for you before you depart?"

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:05 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The young man merely shakes his head. Raquel clings to his arm and they share a look; but at a gesture from Macaria she sobs and runs to the arms of her father. The mysterious woman aids him in mounting the horse behind her; apparently she is much stronger than her appearance would suggest. In a moment they will ride off.

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am
by Rooter

"Hold!" Lila cries, dashing forward to confront the pale rider. "What manner of being are you? Why have you claimed this man? If your intentions toward him are not honorable and he does not go of his own free will then I am compelled to prevent you."

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:18 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This brings a smile to her seemingly bloodless lips. "And in what manner do you propose to do so?"

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:02 am
by Rooter

Lila draws her blessed dagger but hesitates. "If you are what you seem to be then you must accept a challenge, a wager."

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Macaria displays great interest at these words. "Do you understand what the stakes shall be for you?"

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry watches Macaria closely, Lila confirming the suspicion he had had of her all along. He hopes she knows what she is doing. He can think of intellectual challenges where one could at least force a draw, but none that would guarantee a win. However, Lila's greatest advantage is her nimbleness, so he is certain she will propose a dexterity-based challenge.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:09 am
by Rooter

Lila hesitates again and looks over to Raquel. "Who among us may be willing to gamble their own life to save the life of this man? I fear a direct physical contest may be futile."

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:05 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines swallows slowly. She has no wish to gamble her life for Stephan, but if Miss Davenport is putting her own at stake, as Macaria's words seem to imply, then the Gypsy girl will stand with her.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm with you too," says Henry. "I feel like I've been struggling against her all my life. If it's to be me, then an intellectual challenge would be the way to go. I can think of a few that might be suitable. If it's you, then you'd definitely want a challenge where dexterity is tested."

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:30 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Whilst the adventurers consider the situation, Raquel rushes forward to confront the woman, pausing briefly to whisper a prayer. She takes Stephan's hand.

"I will gamble with you," she says.

"No!" Isaac begins to run toward her, but at a look from Macaria he freezes in his tracks.

"I cannot deny your challenge," she says. "What will be the nature of our wager?"

"Let it be a throw of the dice," Raquel replies. "I know I cannot defeat you at any game of skill."

"So be it."

From about her person Macaria withdraws a pair of dice, unusual in appearance. They are black, as if carved from jet. The pips appear to be tiny pearls. Upon close observation, it will be noted that the six, rather than being the ordinary two rows of three, consists of two pips set apart, above one central pip, which is itself above three closely set pips. This peculiar pattern might suggest a human face to one of vivid imagination.

Macaria tosses the dice upon the ground.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
"I have rolled poorly," she says. "Your chances are good."

With trembling fingers Raquel picks up the dice and makes her toss.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
"You have won, child," Macaria says. With these words Stephan seems to be released from a trance. He embraces Raquel unashamedly,

"You risked everything for me," he says. "A poor prize indeed."

As Isaac joyfully looks on, Macaria addresses the rest of the party.

"Is there anyone else who cares to challenge me?"

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:38 pm
by Rooter

Lila shakes her head. "For myself, I have no personal quarrel with you, nor is there any service I would ask even were I to best you."

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm
by SunlessNick

"Is it-" says Ines suddenly, but she cuts herself off before finishing the question, obviously wrestling with guilt and temptation.
If Macaria can read Ines's mind,The question was to be "Is it within your power to bring back those who have already been taken?" (Ines is thinking specifically of her mother - the unfortunate Mr Witherly also crossed her mind, but Miss Davenport will not ask for his restoration, Ines realises she has no right to force the question on her behalf)
Recovering herself, she says, "We have a mirror in our keeping. One that imprisons uncounted souls away from rest or judgement."

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:50 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:Image

"Is it-" says Ines suddenly, but she cuts herself off before finishing the question, obviously wrestling with guilt and temptation.
If Macaria can read Ines's mind,The question was to be "Is it within your power to bring back those who have already been taken?" (Ines is thinking specifically of her mother - the unfortunate Mr Witherly also crossed her mind, but Miss Davenport will not ask for his restoration, Ines realises she has no right to force the question on her behalf)
Recovering herself, she says, "We have a mirror in our keeping. One that imprisons uncounted souls away from rest or judgement."
Macaria raises an eyebrow at the unfinished inquiry from Ines, obviously unable to guess what the question might have been. She does evince an interest in the mirror.

"I would be most willing to ease you of the burden of caring for such an item," she says. "Is there some favor within my power that I might perform in exchange for it?"

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:01 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"I would be most willing to ease you of the burden of caring for such an item," she says. "Is there some favor within my power that I might perform in exchange for it?"

For a moment, Ines looks like she is about to say something else, but she replies, "There is nothing I would ask. But the mirror is not only held by myself."

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Can you bring back someone from the other side?" asks Henry, summoning up the courage to speak to his nemesis.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"That is not within my ability," Macaria replies, "although there are some others of great power who have done such, not often to their pleasure. Even if I were able to do so, it would be a betrayal of my duty, and I would not wish to bring such dishonor upon myself.

"What I am permitted to do," she continues, "is to allow certain persons to pay a temporary visit to my realm, with the proviso that they will not be able to remember anything of what they experience when they return to this world. If any of you were interested in such an excursion, I believe the mirror would be fair payment."

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:45 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, but I am in no rush to go there, myself," says Henry. Not being able to recall the experience would defeat the purpose of such a trip for him. He turns to his companions. "Are any of you interested?"

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:52 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines opens her mouth, but then looks to Miss Davenport before replying.

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:20 pm
by Rooter

"I have no desire to visit your realm, either," Lila says. "However, as Ines has pointed out, we seek to place the mirror of souls out of harm's way. Perhaps you will accept the mirror from us now, in return for the promise of a favor at some future time of need from you."

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:23 am
by SunlessNick

Ines nods and says, "I too will accept this."

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"As will I," says Henry.

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Macaria thinks this over for a moment, then slowly nods her head.

"Seeing that you are persons of honor, I cannot refuse an offer made in good faith. As long as the service I shall perform in exchange is within my power, and does me no dishonor, I accept. When you have need of me, call upon me. Be aware that I may appear in a different form. I offer you these final words of ancient wisdom: Be careful what you wish for."

With that, the mirror flies to her hand, as if it were a living bird. Multiple rays of gray light emerge from it and rush into the sky, only to be lost to sight. When they cease, the mirror returns to the adventurers. Later examination will prove it to be nothing more than an ordinary looking-glass.

With that, Macaria rides off at a pace which would seem impossible in this rough and hilly ground. Any attempt to follow or track her fails.

Upon returning to the Chateau, the party is witness to a tearful reunion between Stephan and his parents. There appears to be unspoken agreement that Raquel is now his betrothed, and this pleases all involved. After much subdued but quietly optimistic conversation, the Baron will reveal that his sole worry is the whereabouts of Guillaume. Isaac privately expresses concern about the nature of the item which the deserter found during his search of the abandoned rooms, suspecting that it might lead to no good.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"My companions and I can look for Guillaume," says Henry. "If we find him, perhaps we can convince him to return to the army. Where was he last seen?"

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:12 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
After some questioning of all present, it is determined that Guillaume left the Chateau with no indication of where he might have been headed. It would require successful tracking, or possibly some other form of further inquiry outside the Chateau, to follow his path.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 am
by SunlessNick
OOC:   Charlotte's whereabouts also seemed to be unclear this morning. Has she made herself known since, or are there two de Hautommes children yet to find?  

"Mr Guillaume showed little heed to his safety when he left," says Ines. "Might that mean he knew of some shelter nearby?"

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"There was that cave where those other two soldiers apparently took shelter," says Henry.

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:21 am
by Rooter

Lila heads outside and searches the grounds around the Chateau for any sign of Guillaume's tracks, with a detour to the stables to inquire if any horses are missing which might indicate a greater distance traveled.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:55 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
It is soon determined that Charlotte, not caring for all the ado which has recently arisen at the Chateau, has spent most of the time in her chamber, composing letters and reading novels. It seems likely that Isaac will remain in residence, continuing to serve as her tutor, whilst plans are made for the upcoming nuptials, after an appropriate period once the banns are announced, of Stephan and Raquel.

An examination of the nearby caves wherein the deceased soldiers found shelter shows no evidence that they have been inhabited in recent days. Nor are any horses unaccounted for.
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport attempting to track. WIS = 12, + 1 for True Innocent somewhere nearby = 13[dice]0[/dice]
The roughness of the grounds near the Chateau make it impossible to determine where Guillaume has gone. It seems that some other manner of investigation is required.

Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Perhaps we can ask people who live near the Chateau if they have seen him," suggests Henry.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 am
by Rooter

"This would presuppose that he headed in the direction of the village," Lila puts in. "Otherwise we can only hope to pick up his trail somewhere in the wider countryside where the ground is less rough. He cannot have gone too far on foot."

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:03 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
These two strategies having been suggested, and the concern for Guillaume's whereabouts being of general concern to those at the Chateau, it seems likely that the adventurers will wish to decide which among them will make inquiry at the village, and which will explore the countryside. They may also invite others in residence to accompany them, although there is no guarantee than such suggestions will be accepted.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:26 am
by Rooter

Lila naturally elects to explore the countryside, and inquires if Isaac would care to accompany her.

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:30 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I would be honored, Madame. Lead on."

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:43 pm
by SunlessNick

"I shall try the village," says Ines. With a slight smile she adds, "There are always some folk willing to gossip about the misfortunes of the higher classes."

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:15 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please proceed to Chapter the Twelfth.