Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Eleventh: An Interrupted Celebration

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed," Lila agrees. "Perhaps we ought to confront the Baron about his son Guillaume's apparent involvement in these matters."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Your scruples speak well for your characters," Isaac remarks, "but they may be moot at this juncture. The Baron is not currently in his study, and may not welcome distractions, being so upset by the news from his elder son. As for Stephan, I think there is no love lost between the Baron and his younger son, so he may not be overly concerned about his current whereabouts. I believe the Baron keeps his keys in his study somewhere and not about his person, as they are quite heavy to carry. Might I suggest a search of the study? I would be glad to remain here and watch over the chapel if you care to engage in such an activity."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Perhaps that is for the best, then," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

As soon as the company is out of earshot of Isaac, Ines will remark, "This seems a very neat method of getting us out of the way. Perhaps one of us should keep a watch on him. I am willing to do so - you would not need me to obtain the Baron's key."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This plan being agreed upon, and it being clear that Ivan and Miss Carrow will choose to remain with Doctor North, it only remains to see whether Miss Davenport will accompany him also or remain with Ines in an attempt to keep a watchful eye on Isaac.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila elects to remain in the vicinity of the chapel with Ines, more wary of who or whatever killed the soldiers than of Isaac.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Doctor North, Miss Carrow, and Ivan proceed to the Baron's study. The door is wide open, the room in disarray. The Baron's writing desk is a chaos of scattered papers and other items.
Spoiler:
WIS to find something; Doctor North = 11 + 1 = 12; Ivan = 9 + 1 = 10; Miss Carrow = 8;[dice]0[/dice]
The two men rummage through the strewn objects, quickly locating a large iron ring containing many keys. They also find a drawing of what seems to be a gem, with the words he shall not have it! inscribed in a rough hand.
Spoiler:
DEX to avoid detection; 10 + 1 = 11; 9+ 1 = 10; 7[dice]1[/dice]
This procedure inevitably requires making an appreciable amount of noise, in response to which the Baron enters in an agitated state.

"What is the meaning of this?" he says hotly.

The two ladies attempt to keep watch over Isaac without his notice.
Spoiler:
DEX to avoid detection; Miss Davenport = 18; Ines = 10[dice]2[/dice]
As silently as the proverbial church mice, they observe Isaac place his hand near the latch without touching it. He murmurs a few words in an unknown language. A pale blue-green light appears briefly near his fingers, like that of a will-o'-the-wisp. It vanishes, and the latch falls open. He opens the door easily, stepping inside and closing it behind himself quietly.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Sorcery!" Lila exclaims. "And could not such powers also be used to freeze the soldiers as we saw? What are his designs?" So saying, she moves to follow Senor del Garazoga quietly inside the chapel, thence to observe his actions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I had been hoping to find you, Baron," says Henry, "but I needed to take action swiftly, for there may not be much time. I am sure you heard by now how we found those two soldiers frozen to death. If Guillaume was with them, he could be freezing too. I know you are disappointed in him, but surely his life should be preserved. We believe he may have locked himself in the chapel. Alone and without warmth, he will surely perish without quick help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Wruter wrote:"Sorcery!" Lila exclaims. "And could not such powers also be used to freeze the soldiers as we saw? What are his designs?" So saying, she moves to follow Senor del Garazoga quietly inside the chapel, thence to observe his actions.

Ines follows Miss Davenport.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 1 = 10[dice]0[/dice]
The Baron does not appear to be persuaded by Doctor North's explanation.

"I know nothing about the fate of the soldiers you claim to have seen before, but if they exist at all I wish them to Perdition. As far as Guilliame is concerned, that is none of your affair. I will thank you to vacate my study at once."

With that he collapses into his chair, his head in his hands.

As Ines and Miss Davenport enter the chapel they feel a warm breeze, as if it were a summer day within. Isaac speaks to them urgently without facing them, his attention instead focused on the room's abandoned altar.

"For God's sake, go! I cannot protect you much longer!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"My apologies, Baron," says Henry, bowing. "We shall leave you in peace." He returns to the chapel with Elizabeth and Ivan.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila stands her ground. "Protect us, Senor? It seems rather you are attempting to deceive us." Nevertheless she casts a sharp glance at her surrounds, and the altar in particular, her senses alert to any suggestion of preternatural activity.
Spoiler:
Demonology 11 + 1[dice]0[/dice]
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Knowing that Miss Davenport is adept at detecting supernatural evil, Ines keeps her eyes on the Senor and his movements.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Davenport's experience with the ways in which preternatural forces are often locked in mortal combat allows her to perceive that the abandoned chapel is now the battleground between two such unnatural powers. The clash is visible as a thin mist between Isaac and the shattered altar. He breathes heavily, as one engaged in hard labor, his hands thrown up; then, with a sigh, stumbles back, crashing into the wall, exhausted.

At the same time, the mist gathers itself together into a vague human form, as if one were to attempt to carve the figure of a woman from a thick fog. Her features are hardly distinguishable, but it seems as if tears flow copiously from empty eye sockets and fall to the ground in the form of small pieces of ice. The sound of a mighty boreal wind fills the room, lashing at those within as if they stood upon a high mountain top. The woman, if such she be, raises her hands; from her translucent fingers a cone of pale blue light is projected at the party.
Spoiler:
1 = Isaac; 2 = Miss Davenport; 3 = Ines[dice]0[/dice]
As if the being knows who poses the greatest threat to her supernatural existence, the eldritch light is aimed directly at Miss Davenport.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12 to minimize damage[dice]1[/dice]
Having had little warning, the bold Demon Hunter is unable to prepare a spiritual defense against this onslaught. She feels as if she is encased in a tomb of solid ice.
Spoiler:
the Cone of Cold does 5d6 of damage[dice]2[/dice]

19 points of Lethal Damage, leaving 5
Miss Davenport is severely injured, but not yet incapacitated. At this moment, Doctor North, Ivan, and Miss Carrow enter the room and behold the shocking sight of Miss Davenport nearly completely covered by a thin layer of frost.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow having already seen the soldiers in a similar state, I won't have her risk fainting.
The various members of the party may take such actions as they see fit before the being strikes again.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Dr North, the mirror!" shouts Ines as she moves between the figure and Miss Davenport.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Is Lila able to move or speak? Also is there any chance that successful Demonology roll might identify the type of being and possible weakness etc.?
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:
Spoiler:
Is Lila able to move or speak? Also is there any chance that successful Demonology roll might identify the type of being and possible weakness etc.?
Spoiler:
You are only completely Incapacitated if Hit Points reach zero, so all normal actions are possible.
Let's make the roll. INT = 11 + 1 for Demonology + 1 for the True Innocent present = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Despite the injury sustained during this attack, Miss Davenport keeps her wits about her and contemplates the nature of this apparition. Her experience with such beings tells her that the party is facing a Spirit whose nature lies betwixt that of a relatively harmless Phantom and a dangerous and malevolent Wraith, and which might be thought of as an Obsessed Ghost. Bound to a single location, and entirely undetectable save by those who disturb its place of imprisonment, the nature of its death determines its other characteristics and its motives. In this case, it is obvious that its mortal body was killed due to exposure to the cold, explaining not only its appearance but its method of attacking those who oppose it. It is not at all certain what its obsession might be, but if this compelling desire is satisfied, the Spirit will be freed from the material plane and haunt its place no more.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Thank you.

Lila staggers. "Isaac speaks truly! We must flee the chapel!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

As the nearest party to the stricken Miss Davenport, Ines rushes to help support her - at the same time, she cries out to Ivan, "Please, help Senor Isaac!"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”