Page 1 of 1

Chapter the Tenth: The Road to Toulouse

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:56 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Chapter the Tenth: The Road to Toulouse; Or, The Spectral Pursuer

There being general agreement that Mrs. Piper speaks with the voice of benevolent wisdom, the party undertakes the journey to Chateau de Hautommes. If one had the wings of an eagle, one could reach that venerable estate by flying due south. Failing that, one must travel by earthbound means. The distance to the Chateau being nearly two hundred leagues, the adventurers may expect to reach their destination in about a fortnight, given some luck.

The first several days of the journey are generally uneventful and not very pleasurable, given the inclement weather. Perhaps one can derive some amusement from the imaginative curses bestowed upon the roads, which are muddy when they are not icy, by the various coachmen employed. Doctor North's purse having hired only the best drivers and coaches, however, there are no serious incidents. The party spends many nights within the walls of small country inns, and one or two in larger towns such as Orleans and Limoges. It is obvious from the maps and instructions provided by Mrs. Piper that they will arrive at Toulouse for one final night's stay, the Chateau lying at no great distance from that sizable city. During this peaceable time the adventurers may undertake such preparations as they see fit, possibly even venturing out during brief breaks in the weather when they are in a community with appreciable resources. Doctor North, of course, uses the time to perfect his latest invention; inspired, perhaps, by the violet ray, the device that produced it having vanished during the chaos that ensued from its use.

The one occurrence of note during this time is the curious fact that each member of the party, from time to time, has caught a brief glimpse of an indistinct figure on horseback, following the coach at a distance which prevents any revealing details from being observed. It may simply be an innocent traveler, whose appearance is rendered vague and mysterious by the gloomy days, when only weak traces of sunlight penetrate heavy clouds.

Re: Chapter the Tenth: The Road to Toulouse

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I am curious as to who may be following us," says Henry. "Perhaps we should slow down for a bit the next time we spot this stranger and see if the rider approaches, or instead slows down as well to match our pace."

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
This stratagem being applied at a convenient time and place, it may be observed that the rider comes somewhat closer, but does indeed draw back on the reins to slow the steed. A heavy black cloak conceals the appearance, and even the sex, of the rider, although this is easily explained by the weather. The horse is a fine black stallion, its equipage shining like silver even on such a dismal day. It seems that the rider makes no effort either to contact the adventurers nor to escape their view.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"This person is definitely following us deliberately," says Henry. "Whoever it is would probably vanish from sight if we dared to stop and approach and would also then become aware that we know we are being followed, so I wouldn't recommend trying that. I'm not sure what else we can do, unless perhaps the weather clears and we can get a better look. Does anyone have a spyglass?"

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:25 am
by SunlessNick

Ines looks pensively back at the figure, as if trying to discern whether it is natural or supernatural. "We encountered much evil in Paris," she says, "but little that would care to follow us so."
OOC:   I don't actually have any ability that lets me do that that first part - I just said it for atmosphere.

I increased Ines's Dexterity to 10 for 3rd level, and updated my Dramatis Personae writeup.  

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:13 pm
by Rooter

"I am almost reminded of a certain highwayman bearing black roses whom some of us encountered previously," Lila speculates. She asks the drivers to kindly keep a watchful eye on the road ahead for any signs of ambush from another direction.

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It cannot be him, he is dust now," says Henry, "but I think it is someone he knows. There is one rider on a pale horse who seems to follow us everywhere we go, and he comes for us all in the end."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The party arrives without incident in Toulouse, a fine, busy city of about fifty thousand souls. The cloaked rider is seen again from time to time, but if there are others associated with this figure, they are not detected. By the time the city is visible on the horizon, the rider is seen no more.

Toulouse is the administrative capital of the province of Languedoc, as well as the cultural center of southwestern France, with many government offices, a university, multiple booksellers and printers, and, in recent years, even a reading cabinet, where members of the public may borrow books in multiple languages.

As the adventurers enter the city, with an excellent view of the Pont Neuf, the stately bridge over the Garonne, it can be seen that, even at this time of year, merchants dealing in iron, timber, leather, cloth, wool, and such goods are hard at work. No doubt in warmer seasons one would see much trade in grain and olive oil, the region being famous for these comestibles.

Per the instructions of Mrs. Piper, the party arrives at Le Colombier, a charming inn. Senor and Senorita del Zaragoza are already in residence. They are both dark of hair and eye, with complexions that speak of Moorish ancestry. Isaac is a man of about forty years, slender yet well-muscled. He speaks many European languages fluently and is of scholarly mien. His daughter Raquel has not yet reached twenty years of age, is small and delicate of feature, and is somewhat shy, due in part no doubt to the fact that, although able to converse in English and French, speaks those tongues with an noticeable accent. She is usually seen carrying a prayer book.

Introductions being made, it is soon established that the del Zaragozas are not directly acquainted with the de Hautommes family, arrangements for Isaac's tutoring position having been made through correspondence.

The Chateau de Hautommes being no great distance from Toulouse, the party has the rest of the afternoon, the evening, and a portion of the next morning to spend in whatsoever manner they wish, whether it be in conversation with the del Zaragozas, in exploration of the city, or engaged in some other activity.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am
by SunlessNick

This close to the Pyrenees, it occurs to Ines that the people here may be versed enough in Spanish for her to perform some songs in that language during the evening - she chooses something rich and a little lusty in the hopes of alleviating the bleak mood that has held the company in thrall since the tragic events in Paris.
OOC:   Charisma =10, + 1 Entertaining, +3 Dancing Ability, +3 Beautiful.
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 13.  
She does well enough, perhaps a little rusty from the many weeks she has gone without performing recently - it will be obvious that she has missed it.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 am
by Rooter

Pursuing Mrs. Piper's mysterious intuitions, Lila engages Senor del Garazoga in conversation hoping to learn more of his background, speaking in English with a smattering of French as required. She inquires politely as to his interests and recent travels and when a suitable opportunity arises expresses sadness that the mother of his evidently pious daughter is not traveling with them. Perhaps her constitution forbids it in this dreadful winter?

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:33 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
During the energetic performance by the Gypsy, which wins the admiration of those gathered at the inn, it may be noticed that Raquel is particularly taken with the romantic ballads and graceful dancing. A blush comes to her dusky cheek from time to time, and she often looks away to her prayer book; but each time, like a moth drawn to a candle's flame, her gaze turns back to Ines.

Isaac is able to take advantage of his daughter's distraction to speak softly to Miss Davenport.

"I am a widower, madame, my dear Isabella having been taken from this world at the moment Raquel entered it. I trust she dwells in a better one.

"As far as my interests, well, I am afraid my world is a dull one of dusty books and crumbling antiquities. It is no life for a young woman! That is why I have agreed that she shall accompany me to the Chateau. I hope to introduce her to society. My prospective pupil is of the same tender years as my daughter, and I trust they will become close friends.

"Senora Piper has informed me that you and your companions have come a long way from home. My own travels, undertaken when I was able to leave Raquel in the care of a trusted nurse, have been restricted to the Iberian peninsula, with the exception of one excursion across the Strait of Gibraltar to the land of the Berbers, which was most interesting.

"Having been assured of the fine character of all members of your party, I am pleased that we shall be traveling together."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry also talks with the del Zaragozas, inquiring about the current situation in Toulouse. He empathizes with Isaac, having lost his own wife in childbirth, and their son with her.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
"I see, my Lord, that we are two members of the great fraternity of the bereaved. Let us hope that we shall share more pleasant memories as we journey together.

'As for the city of Toulouse, well, I am afraid I know little of the place myself, this being my first excursion into France, skirting the unfriendly Pyrenees by remaining near the seacoast all the way from my native Barcelona.

"Having some interest in the remarkable constructions of human hands, I can tell you that the new Capitole, constructed some score of years ago, is a fine building. Of course, the Canal Royal, which connects the Mediterranean to the Garonne, is a wonder. Although it is more than a century old, it is still being improved. The Canal de Brienne -- the little connection which lies in the heart of the city -- was built only a dozen years ago. Perhaps someday one will be able to journey from the Mediterranean to the Atlantic without stepping on dry land!

"But I prattle too much! Perhaps, if the weather is not too disagreeable, we could take a stroll across the Pont Neuf in the morning, before our coach departs? To be candid, sir, I would like to have your charming companion, Miss Carrow, spend some time with Raquel. I am certain she would have a good influence on her."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:50 pm
by Mr. Handy

"She would indeed," says Henry, agreeing. "She certainly has a good influence on me. A walk sounds splendid, Monsieur."

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 pm
by Rooter

"I am not sure if the good senor is quite taken with France to be addressed as Monsieur," Lila says with forced lightness. Still seeking distraction from recent events she proposes to accompany any expedition into the surrounds. Meanwhile she makes a mental reminder to inquire of the inkeeper in the morning whether any black-cloaked riders had arrived in their wake.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Discrete inquiries establish the fact that the innkeeper has not noted any such riders. Toulouse being a busy city, with many transients journeying hither and yon, however, it is impossible to say whether persons fitting this description have appeared somewhere about.

The following morning is cold and overcast, with the promise of snow, but not so inclement as to make a brief excursion without impossible. Properly garbed after a hearty breakfast, the travelers head for the famous bridge. The walk is a pleasant one, the bracing weather stirring the blood.

Whilst crossing the bridge, as many do for a morning constitutional, it may be observed that a person completely covered by a heavy black cloak (as is not unusual amongst those particularly sensitive to the cold), walking on the opposite side of the structure as the party, seems to direct attention to them, judging by the manner in which the hood is moved, there being otherwise no hint as to this person's features, the hood completely hiding all.

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"I wonder if that's the person who followed us to Toulouse," says Henry.

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:12 am
by SunlessNick

"Trying to approach him would probably tell us," says Ines, turning a deliberately obvious stare in the figure's direction. She takes note of how other people are acting around the figure - do they seem to see it too and move to avoid it, for instance, or it them?

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Careful observation reveals that the hooded figure neither greets nor is greeted by those who pass by; however, it can be seen that these other persons never collide with the figure, indicating that they are in some manner aware of its presence.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 pm
by Rooter

In no mood for coyness, Lila turns and heads directly to intercept the mysterious figure.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Upon nearing the figure, a pair of small, delicately formed, snow-white hands emerge from within the heavy cloak and push back the hood. Revealed is a young woman, hardly more than a girl, with loose, silken hair the color of a raven's wing, which makes a striking contrast with a countenance as pale as her hands. Her eyes are so dark a color as to make it impossible to distinguish iris from pupil. She looks at Miss Davenport with a bold but entirely neutral expression, as one might regard an interesting natural phenomenon. She does not speak.

Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 pm
by Rooter

"Ah." Lila hesitates, suddenly flustered. -- Bonjour. Do you perchance ride a black stallion? If you are traveling the same way as we, that is toward the Pyrenees, perhaps you might wish to join me and my companions rather than follow. The roads can be unsafe for a lone rider. Or do I mistake you for some other? --

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is not who I expected," says Henry. "I must say I'm relieved."

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:11 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
With a slow and courtly curtsy to the party, the young woman replies in a soft voice which does not reveal any particular national origin.

"I thank you for your courtesy," she says in English. "I am always ready to accept such a kind invitation. If I mistake not, we both have business at the Chateau de Hautommes, and I would be glad of the company. If there be no objection, I will ride alongside your coach, not wishing to leave my mount behind. Let us not stand on ceremony. You may call me Macaria."

Introductions are made. It is notable that both Miss Carrow and Senorita del Zaragoza are quite taken with their new acquaintance. This is perhaps only natural when young ladies are brought together socially.

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I for one would be delighted to have you accompany us, Macaria," says Henry.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:50 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The pleasant, if chilly, stroll across the Garonne is concluded, with much light conversation amongst the party. It may be noted that Macaria rarely initiates discussions, choosing instead to remain silent and listen until directly addressed.

The sun is high overhead as the adventurers begin the last leg of their journey, although it can barely be detected behind heavy clouds. A brisk wind whips at the hair and clothing of all.

-- Snow coming. -- the coachman, a laconic fellow, remarks. His prophecy proves to be accurate, as a light shower of tiny white crystals begins to descend as the path becomes steep, heading into low hills. It is more of a welcome sight, Nature's icy jewels scattered across the dark, rocky ground, than a hazard, the driver being skillful at his trade. Macaria follows the coach at a moderate distance, perhaps to better enjoy the peculiar silence of a gentle snowfall.

As the coach makes a turn around a large boulder -- which might be thought, to one of playful imagination, to be a giant transformed into stone -- two men come into view. They wear French military uniforms, not in the best of condition, which reveal that they are fusiliers -- infantrymen equipped with flintlock muskets, which they carry pointed at the ground.

-- Help! Stop! -- they cry as the coach approaches. They stand to the side of the road, so it would be possible for the driver to continue past them if the party is so inclined.

-- Shall we stop? -- the coachman inquires.

Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:25 pm
by SunlessNick

Presuming that Miss Davenport and Dr North will bid the coachman stop (and that the attention of most will be on the two men), Ines looks out of the other side of the coach, trying to discern if there is anyone else.

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"We had best stop and help them," says Henry. "If someone is injured, my skills will be needed."

Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
As the driver draws back on the reins, Ines glances out of the coach. There does not appear to be anyone else about. She is also able to detect the fact that Macaria halts her steed at some distance away. Perhaps this is the reason the two men pay her no mind.

One soldier aims his musket at the driver, the other at those within the coach. The latter addresses them in gutter French.

-- Do not fear! We have no wish to take either your lives or your possessions. But we must have this coach! Vacate it now, and we will leave you in peace. The walk will not be an easy one, I grant you, but it will do you no great hurt. --

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"It seems we have no choice," says Henry. "Of course, we are merely passengers. The coach does not belong to us. However, its owners will want it back. Where can we meet you to retrieve it later?"

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:34 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
-- Ha! That is of no concern to us, my friend, but it is possible that you may find this vehicle again if you continue to the Chateau on foot. I thank you for your generosity. -- he says, with a sardonic grin.

With that, the passengers are allowed to retrieve their possessions from the coach and are not otherwise disturbed, although always under the watchful eyes of the soldiers and the intimidating stare of their muskets. When the party is at a safe distance from the coach, the soldier who has spoken leaps into the driver's position, his companion joining him with one final glance back at the adventurers. With a cry and a snap of the whip they drive off at a rapid pace.

During all of this fuss, Macaria has slipped off unnoticed. Her stallion must be an unusually sure-footed beast, as not even the sound of his hooves on the rocky ground can be heard.
Spoiler:
Wisdom roll for the party as a whole[dice]0[/dice]
It is soon discovered that, in their haste, the soldiers have left behind a scrap of parchment. It contains a crude map of the road to the Chateau, along with a diagram of the building. A circle has been drawn around several rooms, with an arrow pointing to this section of the Chateau. There is a handwritten note near the arrow.

Guillaume says somewhere here -- no one goes

The party will have to spend the rest of the day making slow progress on the steep path to the Chateau. (The driver has elected to make his way back to Toulouse, having no interest in the Chateau.) They are almost within sight of the Chateau when night falls. Travel in darkness being hazardous in this rough country, it will be necessary to make camp for the night. Isaac volunteers to keep the first watch, as he will require some time to ease the tears and trembling of his daughter, who beseeches Heaven that she be spared from further such experiences. A small but helpful fire is made, with some difficulty due to the wind and the wet ground. The long wait for morning begins.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:30 am
by Rooter

Lila offers to sit the first watch with Senor del Garazoga if the others will take the second.

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:32 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines agrees to take the second watch.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:31 am
by Mr. Handy

Henry also agrees to take the second watch.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:58 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The first watch of the night passes quietly. Raquel is soon comforted and falls into the peaceful sleep that only comes to a guiltless conscience. Whilst engaged in quiet conversation with Miss Davenport, the crackling of the fire the only sound interrupting their speech, Isaac remarks that he does not know to what the inscription on the parchment refers, but that the indicated part of the Chateau consists of rooms that have been sealed off for some years, the number of inhabitants having declined during the last few generations.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
During the second watch, a clattering upon the rocky ground is heard from some distance. Soon a horse appears in sight, the sweat on its deep brown flanks clearly visible in the firelight. It is obviously one of the coach horses, released from its trappings in some manner. It nickers nervously and trots about with no apparent aim, the beast apparently in a distracted state after some fright or other. It would be useful to retain the services of an animal of such value, although it could also prove dangerous if provoked. Like any horse, it is reluctant to draw near the fire.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:10 am
by Mr. Handy

"Shall we try to calm the horse?" Henry asks Ines. "You seem to have a knack with animals."

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 am
by SunlessNick

Ines nods in acknowledgement, and wants gently toward the horse making soothing noises.
OOC:   Charisma = 10, +1 Animal Husbandry [To calm it down]
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 4

Wisdom = 11, +1 Animal Husbandry [To determine its hit points]
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: also 4  
Ines is able to soothe horse from its fright, and once it is calm, ascertain the state of the poor creature's health. Do its horse-clothes appeat to have been removed properly, or dragged off by force?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:00 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The horse, now docile after receiving kind treatment from one skilled in such matters, appears only too eager to return to human service. It is apparent that it has been driven hard and not properly walked, watered, and curried. Its trappings appear to have been cut away hastily, judging from some bits of equipage still attached, but it is uninjured. By dawn it should be ready to carry one of the party who does not object to riding without a saddle.

The adventurers reach the Chateau by mid-morning, weary from their unintended climb. The Chateau is of great age, constructed from pale stone, and makes for a brooding presence against the lofty Pyrenees which loom in the distance. There is no sign of the soldiers nor of Macaria. However, whilst investigating the surroundings, as is only natural after having encountered unwelcome company the day before, the coach is found not far away, badly hidden amongst sizable boulders, as if only a feeble effort was made to conceal it. The other horse is not to be found, and there is clear evidence that it also has been released from its trappings.

After much pounding on the heavy wooden door of the Chateau, a manservant appears to question the party. Many explanations are made as to events of the prior day.

-- Ah! -- the young man says. -- That is why you did not arrive as expected yesterday. Please come in. My master and mistress are away, having taken the opportunity of your failure to appear to make certain arrangements for a celebration -- the Baron's birthday, you understand -- with a provisioner in a small village not far from here. They shall return tomorrow. Meanwhile, Monsieur Stephan and Mademoiselle Charlotte are in residence and shall see to your needs. There are rooms prepared for all. --

The servant is true to his word. The other servants take care of the belongings of the party and allow them to refresh themselves after their hard journey. When this is done, the two children of the Baron and Baroness appear.

Stephan is a tall, thin young man, pale and dark-haired. He is polite, in a very formal manner, but rather taciturn and unsmiling. His clothes are of good quality but worn in a manner which indicates that he has little concern for his appearance. When inquiry is made as to the well-being of his elder brother, he sighs.

-- The great hero. I suppose he is all right. --

Charlotte is a few years older than Stephan, truly a grown woman. Nature has favored her with flowing auburn hair which she does not conceal beneath a wig. Her powder cannot entirely conceal her ruddy complexion, but a pair of sparkling emerald eyes draws attention away from this minor flaw. She is dressed in a fine, colorful gown which might be more suitable for a ball than for ordinary day wear. In sharp contrast to her brother, she is eager to chat with the arrivals, generally of matters of little import. Upon discovering Doctor North's honorable intentions regarding Miss Carrow, she taps him lightly on the wrist with her fan.

-- A prize taken! What a pity! --

The day spent thus, with Isaac explaining his plans for Charlotte's education -- this being met with little enthusiasm -- the adventurers are escorted to their rooms for a good night's rest.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
MISS DAVENPORT:
Spoiler:
In the middle of the night, when you happen to be awake, you hear light footsteps pass by your room, followed a moment later by slightly heavier ones. Some time later, upon answering a tap upon your door, you see Miss Carrow and Senorita del Zaragoza standing in the hallway. The Spanish lady holds a candle and looks about nervously.

"We heard someone walking about," Miss Carrow explains. "Who could it be at this hour?"

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:28 am
by Rooter

"From the footsteps I heard I rather suspect it may have been a man and a woman engaged upon an, ah, romantic liaison," Lila replies to the two less worldly young ladies. "However, who could it be? Lady Charlotte seems a likely sort but then who is her partner? Perhaps, given the unexplained happenings on our way here it would be safer for us to verify that this is not some more sinister intrigue, however." She wakes Ines and quickly explains the situation then, taking a candle, leads along the hallway in the direction of the footsteps.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 am
by SunlessNick

Imes makes sure to bring her brass knuckles with her, in case it is, as Miss Davenport put it, a sinister intrigue. As the ladies set out, sudden thought strikes her: "I wonder if one of the two soldiers was the Guillaume who has been spoken of?" Then she shakes her head, recognising that speculation is pointless next to investigation.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
There being as of yet no evidence that this incident is of a preternatural nature, the Demon Hunter will not receive the +1 bonus for track, based solely instead on WIS = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport is able to successfully determine the direction in which the unknown persons made their way. It leads to the door of Charlotte's bedchamber.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm
by Rooter

"It must be as I initially suspected," Lila whispers. "Well, it is no great surprise. Perhaps her partner is one of the servants for I cannot think of anyone else. I am going back to bed." Heading back, she nevertheless glances at the doors of each of the men's rooms.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:20 pm
by SunlessNick

Just to be sure, Ines briefly listens at Charlotte's door for sounds of trouble. Should she hear sounds that are .. not of trouble, she will retreat quickly.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
There being no indication that anything of an unwanted nature is occurring within, the ladies retreat to their various rooms quietly.

Upon the morrow, the guests are greeted by the Baron and the Baroness. The Baron is a man in late middle years, his head nearly bald, only a few wisps of brown hair speckled with gray remaining. Despite his age he is in vigorous good health. His manner is somewhat distant, as if he has many matters of concern occupying his attention, as is not uncommon for a man of property.

The Baroness is a few years younger than her husband and retains the rich, deep brown color of her hair. She is friendly and charming, but in a courtly, old-fashioned manner that is not overly familiar. Her primary concerns are ensuring that her daughter is properly educated, to prepare her for a worthy marriage, and encouraging her younger son to make his way in the world. It seems that Stephan does not wish to emulate his brother and serve in the Army, nor does he express much interest in the Church.

With these preoccupations, as well as preparations for the birthday celebration, the Baron and the Baroness are afraid that they may seem to be not as attentive to their guests as they might wish. The adventurers will have much free time on their hands for about a week or so, during which time they are free to explore the Chateau and its estate, and engage as freely in conversation as the activities of the de Hautommes allow. They are cautioned that the part of the Chateau which has remained unoccupied for some years is not in the best possible condition, and may prove hazardous to the curious.

During the next few days Isaac is busy with his reluctant, if not unintelligent, pupil. Raquel occupies her time practicing her social graces in conversation with the other guests. It may be noted that, on occasion, she sets aside her prayer book and takes up one of Charlotte's many sensational novels, which she reads with eyes wide open and a gasp now and then. Stephan is often absent, and is said to be fond of wandering through the surrounding hills. On returning from one of these excursions, he relates that he caught sight of a woman on horseback far from where one might expect a rider. From his description, it is clear that this is Macaria. Upon questioning the servants, the guests, and the family, it seems that no one else has had a glimpse of her.

-- It is not safe for a young woman to be alone in such wild country, -- he says, -- particularly with those two dastardly soldiers somewhere in the area. --

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is all too true," says Henry. "Though the soldiers, to their credit, kept their word and did not harm us when we allowed them to take our carriage. She does seem capable of taking care of herself, but it does go against my chivalric nature to leave her devoid of protection. We met her on the road, as it happens. She followed us to Toulouse, but had kept her distance until we met her there, and then she journeyed with us to the Chateau. However, when the soldiers showed up, she made herself scarce. We have not seen her since until now."

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am
by Rooter

"From the map we recovered, the soldiers evidently have some interest in the unoccupied part of the Chateau," Lila puts in.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:36 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines, having never seen mountains on the scale of the Pyrenees, is also interested in walking in the hills (whether this means accompanying Stephan, some other escort or alone). However, when the subject of the map is raised, she asks whether the company means to investigate.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:11 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Stephan, overhearing some of these remarks, seems slightly agitated.

"I would not go into that part of the Chateau if I were you," he remarks (displaying an impressive familiarity with the English language.) "Aside from the fact that time has brought disorder to the unoccupied rooms, leading to many dangerous weaknesses in the floor and walls, it is always extremely cold there." He emits a laugh which is more like a cough. "It will not have escaped your notice, although you are all too well-mannered to say anything about it, that even this part of our home is unusually cold, despite the fires constantly tended by our invaluable servants." He nods to the young manservant who allowed the party to enter, currently engaged in such a task. "A peculiarity of the structure and the wind which constantly howls through the surrounding hills, I imagine. In any event, even in summer there is often a chilly draft from some source or another." He rubs his hands together vigorously, as if the topic of conversation has taken hold of his imagination. "Charlotte and I would sometimes play in the abandoned rooms as children, until we were forbidden to do so, due to the injuries we sustained, and the fevers we acquired from exposure to the cold." For a moment his eyes seem to lose their focus on the guests, as if he were looking inward. "On one occasion I was very frightened, and had to be confined to my room for a full day and night, although I cannot now recall what, if anything, caused such terror. The unfettered imagination of youth, I suppose, which often flies to places it would not wish to be." He stands. "In any event, I should be pleased to escort any of you who wish to explore the environs."

Isaac indicates that he would not object to Raquel accompanying the young man, as long as she is properly chaperoned. The young Spanish lady shyly nods in agreement. The adventurers may choose to join their company; or, if some prefer, to remain behind. It cannot be denied that this excursion would provide an opportunity for discreet exploration of the abandoned rooms, if anyone were to be so inclined, the rest of the household being busy with their own concerns.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, I'd like that," says Henry.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:48 am
by Rooter

Stephan's account and mention of the unnatural cold, which often accompanies the presence of evil spirits, makes Lila immediately wary. She agrees at once to accompany the expedition and not simply to chaperone Raquel. At the earliest juncture she must find an opportunity to question, if not Stephan then the Baron himself, as to the history of the Chateau.

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines agrees readily. Apart from any more practical concerns, Ines has never been in such a castle as this, and it will be evident that her wanderer's spirit is eager to see more of these new environs.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
All being agreeable, the party sets out on an excursion on a day which is sunny but still cold. The walk through the wild country that lies between the Chateau and Pyrenees is invigorating, a chill wind stirring the low grasses, now brown and sere, that cling to life in the rocky soil. Stephan indicates a path, hardly more than a deer trail, that leads along the foot of the mountains to a small village where basic provisions may be obtained. Descending from the Chateau is the steep and twisting road to Toulouse. There are small caves in the sides of the hills where it is possible to find temporary shelter from the elements. In one of these the party finds evidence of a recent fire.

Upon being questioned about the history of the Chateau, Stephan is pleased to supply such information as he can.

"The origin of our family's prominence in this area is lost in the mists of history. I imagine that some medieval toiler, discovering that no one else cared to work this unpromising land, took claim to it, establishing the baronetcy. Since that time many generations of de Hautommes have slowly built a modicum of wealth and a facade of dignity." With a wry smile, he continues, "Forgive my cynicism, but I have observed that my father has the soul of a usurer, and I assume that is an inheritance from thrifty ancestors. Witness his disinclination to make repairs to the abandoned part of the Chateau."

It can be seen that, indeed, the rear of the building bears the scars of time. One of the windows of an unused room is broken, no doubt by some mischievous village child.

At one point during their time out of doors the party observes Macaria at a distance, riding upon her black stallion. She carefully maintains her distance from the others, a task made possible by the fact that her steed is exceptionally well-trained and nimble upon the difficult ground. Stephan raises his hand to her and cries out, to which she replies by lifting her own hand, but she does not otherwise acknowledge any greeting.

During much of the excursion Stephan and Raquel are engaged in light conversation, the reason given that he might practice his Spanish, and she her French.

Upon returning to the Chateau hot coffee, tea, and chocolate are a welcome sight for the party. It must be admitted, however, that these are served at a lukewarm temperature, despite that fact that they have been fetched with great haste directly from the kitchen.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 am
by Rooter

Lila wonders at Macaria's behavior. "Perhaps she is residing in the village," she speculates. "Or else the fire in the cave was hers. But then perhaps it is more likely those two soldiers are hiding out in the caves."

She believes it may be necessary before long to venture into the abandoned part of the Chateau in spite of any warnings but Stephan's comment about his father leads her to speculate why, if the Baron has the means to throw a lavish birthday celebration, he will not make repairs to the derelict sections. Is he afraid of something there? Perhaps, if they are available for an audience, the Baron or Baroness might know something more than Stephan.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:02 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
The day before the birthday celebrations, the Baron and the Baroness have some small amount of time to spend with the party. The Baron may be interviewed at late morning in his study, whilst he sees to business affairs, and the Baroness in the drawing room, where she habitually takes a small glass of sherry in the afternoon and busies herself with needlework. The adventurers may address such inquires to them as they see fit.

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 pm
by SunlessNick
Wruter wrote:Image

Lila wonders at Macaria's behavior. "Perhaps she is residing in the village," she speculates. "Or else the fire in the cave was hers. But then perhaps it is more likely those two soldiers are hiding out in the caves."

"That broken window may be their work," says Ines. "They would need to gain enty to the Chateau somehow, and of course they could not pass through the inhabited areas. If it was they who cut the horses free from the coach, I also wonder how they mean to leave when they have accomplished whatever they came for."

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"The servants may know more about what's going on even than their masters," says Henry. "I could send Ivan among them to try to suss out what they know about the abandoned part of the Chateau. He's gotten quite adept at that sort of thing."

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:16 pm
by Victoria Silverwolf
Spoiler:
CHA = 9[dice]0[/dice]
Ivan engages himself in conversation with the servants. As luck would have it, the Chateau's cook is of Russian ancestry, and takes to him at once. After some reminiscences about that distant land, they engage in gossip about her masters.

-- They are afraid! -- she says in their shared Slavic tongue. -- As well they might be! That part of the estate is haunted, I tell you. I would not venture into there for all the treasures of the Tsar. Some say that it contains the riches of the de Hautommes, but I do not believe it. The Master is not one to let a sou slip through his fingers. --

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:46 pm
by SunlessNick

"Riches," says Ines when Ivan reports his findings. "I think we can assume the soldiers have heard and believe this tale, whether or not it is true."
Question,Do we still have the mirror?

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm
by Rooter

"A valid supposition," Lila says. "And the window may indeed provide a point of entry. But this tale of a haunting... I think I should like to call on the Baroness this afternoon."

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, we need to inform the Baron and Baroness about our suspicions of the soldiers' intentions," says Henry. "The soldiers need to be stopped for their own good. They are likely to get themselves hurt or killed."
OOC,My plan was to use the Illuminator to render the mirror harmless, but I don't think we've actually done it yet. We may want to hold off until we've dealt with whatever's in the abandoned part of the Chateau.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:57 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
Got called into work so I'm here for a little while today.

The assumption about the mirror is correct. It may be used as you please.

The players should indicate who will interview the Baron and the Baroness. The conversations will take place at different times, so it is possible for one person to question both. You may also invite whichever non-player characters (except the soldiers and Macaria) you deem fit to be present. Someone should serve as the primary spokesperson at each meeting. You should also indicate what information you wish to give the Baron and/or the Baroness, and what information you wish to obtain from them.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 pm
by Rooter
Spoiler:
Lila will be primary spokesperson for the Baroness and perhaps Miss Carrow will accompany her. She may be present if the Baron is interviewed but won't presume upon a nobleman at business. She won't wish to cause the Baroness any upset with mention of soldiers breaking in so will inquire regarding the family history leading on to the rumors of a treasure and evil spirits.

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 pm
by SunlessNick
Spoiler:
Dr North seems like the logical choice as primary spokesman for speaking with the Baron. Isaac's presence might help convince him that assisting us in our business is in the interests of the de Hautommes children. Ines would probably be worse than useless at either meeting - is there anything else she could do in the meantime? (Charlotte seems to be an unruly sort, and might relish the idea of spilling family stories)

Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:34 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
About to leave for some days so I'll start things off in what seems to be a logical fashion.
Pleased by the prospect of masculine company as a break from his work, the Baron welcomes Doctor North and Senor del Zaragoza into his study. After some general conversation of politics and like matters, and assurance that Charlotte is progressing adequately with her lessons, he is open to inquiries.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Miss Davenport, Miss Carrow, and Senorita del Zaragoza gather in the drawing room with the Baroness for a session of needlework and conversation. After general inquires are made as to the health and general condition of the other members of family (Raquel particularly solicitous concerning Stephan), the Baroness displays a willingness to address questions.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Ines comes across Charlotte in the small library of the Chateau, where she alternates between studying Euclid's Elements with reading Claude Prosper Jolyot de Crebillion's scandalous novel Le Sopha, conte moral. She is happy to be interrupted in her studies and welcomes the Gypsy, making inquiry as to what gossip she may have brought with her.

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 am
by Mr. Handy

"We've been thinking about those soldiers and their intentions, Baron," says Henry. "We noticed signs of a recent fire in one of the caves nearby, so it appears that they were camped there. The map they had left in the coach showed that they were interested in this Chateau, in particular the abandoned portion. We've heard rumours that there are riches concealed there. Those rumours are obviously untrue, but the soldiers may have heard them and believed them. I have no doubt that that part of the Chateau is dangerous, and the soldiers would be putting themselves at risk if they decide to trespass there. We may able to dissuade them if we could find and speak to them, but we would first need to know what actually is in that area and why it is off-limits. If there is indeed a spirit haunting it, as some of the rumours suggest, my companions and I have experience with such things. We may be able to put them to rest."

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 pm
by Rooter

Whilst preparing to meet with the Baroness, Lila has had a sudden insight. Looking back at the letter of introduction from Mrs. Piper, it states that the de Hautommes' other son who is in the French army is named Guillaume, the same name which appeared on the soldiers' map. There must be a connection.

"My lady, do you expect your son Guillaume to return home from his service soon?"

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:00 pm
by SunlessNick

Ines gives a Charlotte a partial recounting of events in Paris - eliding the role and death of Mr Witherly, as she does not wish to put Miss Davenport's grief into the hands of a gossip. She emphasises the salacious nature of Violette and Roterstein's respective appetites - "Truly, under the influence of his potion, it was as if he had taken command of my very body" - in the hopes that Charlotte will try to one-up her with stories of her own.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"We've been thinking about those soldiers and their intentions, Baron," says Henry. "We noticed signs of a recent fire in one of the caves nearby, so it appears that they were camped there. The map they had left in the coach showed that they were interested in this Chateau, in particular the abandoned portion. We've heard rumours that there are riches concealed there. Those rumours are obviously untrue, but the soldiers may have heard them and believed them. I have no doubt that that part of the Chateau is dangerous, and the soldiers would be putting themselves at risk if they decide to trespass there. We may able to dissuade them if we could find and speak to them, but we would first need to know what actually is in that area and why it is off-limits. If there is indeed a spirit haunting it, as some of the rumours suggest, my companions and I have experience with such things. We may be able to put them to rest."
"I hold no belief in spirits," remarks the Baron. "Stories told by peasants to scare unruly children."

"'There are more things in heaven and earth,'" says Isaac softly, his voice tapering off. Upon seeing the Baron raise his eyebrows, he continues, "Forgive me. Charlotte and I have been studying Hamlet and my mind wandered for a moment. Pay me no mind."

"As for riches," the Baron goes on, after giving Isaac a peculiar look, "supposedly one of my ancestors secreted a valuable item of some sort within the abandoned section of the Chateau. Surely some treasure hunter would have run across it by now if there were any truth to the tale. As for the soldiers, Devil take them! If they were men of honor like my elder son, they would be at their posts, not skulking about like brigands. May they come to a bad end!"

After having expressed this opinion with some passion, the Baron calms himself, as if abashed to have shown such emotion.

"As far as the empty rooms go, there is not much to be said about them. An old library, its volumes crumbling; a small storage room, full of this, that, and the other, of no great value; three bedchambers with ruined furniture; an abandoned chapel, stripped of its valuables long ago; and old servants' quarters no longer needed. I forbid entry into them strictly to prevent harm to curious innocents. Intruders bent on mischief may suffer the consequences with no sympathy from me."

After the interview is completed, Isaac takes Doctor North aside and whispers to him.

"Should any of your party take it upon themselves to risk exploring the area, I should be most interested." With, he takes his leave.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:26 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf

Whilst preparing to meet with the Baroness, Lila has had a sudden insight. Looking back at the letter of introduction from Mrs. Piper, it states that the de Hautommes' other son who is in the French army is named Guillaume, the same name which appeared on the soldiers' map. There must be a connection.

"My lady, do you expect your son Guillaume to return home from his service soon?"
"I am afraid that word does not come often of my dear boy, communications being what they are," she explains. "We are expecting to receive any messages that have arrived for us to be delivered from the village on the morrow. If Heaven favors us, a letter from Guillaume will be amongst them, as we have not had one for some time. It would delight his father no end to hear from him during his birthday celebration."

When the conversation turns to the supposed haunting of the empty part of the Chateau, the Baroness admits that, as a newly arrived bride, she set foot within the old chapel and felt a strange presence therein, although this may have simply been a feverish delusion brought about by the unusual coldness of the place. It may be noted that this account has a strong effect on Raquel, who murmurs a prayer against evil spirits and fingers her rosary.

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:48 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines gives a Charlotte a partial recounting of events in Paris - eliding the role and death of Mr Witherly, as she does not wish to put Miss Davenport's grief into the hands of a gossip. She emphasises the salacious nature of Violette and Roterstein's respective appetites - "Truly, under the influence of his potion, it was as if he had taken command of my very body" - in the hopes that Charlotte will try to one-up her with stories of her own.
Charlotte opens her eyes wide.

"How thrilling! Nothing exciting ever happens around this dreary old place." She leans forward and speaks intimately to the Gypsy. "I have to content myself with handsome servants. They are so very grateful for my favors that they would do anything for me! Don't tell Papa," she goes on in a low voice, "but one of the abandoned rooms is a fine place for a rendezvous with a village boy as well. You will no doubt have opportunity to discover that for yourself!"

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:59 pm
by Rooter

As they are leaving the presence of the Baroness, Lila turns to Raquel. "I am sorry if all this talk of spirits upsets you. But you must understand that sometimes more than faith is needed to protect us."

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:54 pm
by SunlessNick
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Don't tell Papa," she goes on in a low voice, "but one of the abandoned rooms is a fine place for a rendezvous with a village boy as well. You will no doubt have opportunity to discover that for yourself!"

"The thought of a ghost watching me with a village boy - I do not know whether I would be excited or afraid," says Ines. If Charlotte looks puzzled at her bringing up ghosts all of a sudden, she goes on, "Some have said that part of the Chateau is haunted. It adds a frisson to the thought of any pleasurable interlude in the place, yes?"

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you for your time and your hospitality, Baron," says Henry. After the Baron gives his leave, he goes to rejoin his companions to compare notes.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf

As they are leaving the presence of the Baroness, Lila turns to Raquel. "I am sorry if all this talk of spirits upsets you. But you must understand that sometimes more than faith is needed to protect us."
"I must seem a timid creature to you," Raquel says shyly. "If you had seen some of the things I have witnessed in my father's workshop -- but I must say no more. He has forbidden me to speak of it." With that she scurries away.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:08 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Don't tell Papa," she goes on in a low voice, "but one of the abandoned rooms is a fine place for a rendezvous with a village boy as well. You will no doubt have opportunity to discover that for yourself!"

"The thought of a ghost watching me with a village boy - I do not know whether I would be excited or afraid," says Ines. If Charlotte looks puzzled at her bringing up ghosts all of a sudden, she goes on, "Some have said that part of the Chateau is haunted. It adds a frisson to the thought of any pleasurable interlude in the place, yes?"
"Hmm. You have been speaking to Stephan, I suppose. He imagines there is something frightening in the place, but then he has always been a dreamer. I would only suggest that you take plenty of furs with you if you venture there with a companion. It is so cold and drafty, but embracing while wrapped in sable is delightful!"

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Thank you for your time and your hospitality, Baron," says Henry. After the Baron gives his leave, he goes to rejoin his companions to compare notes.
After sharing such information as they have obtained, the adventurers retire and enjoy a peaceful night, ready for tomorrow's celebration.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 am
by Rooter

Raquel's mention of her father's mysterious 'workshop' leads Lila to speculate as to whether Senor del Garazoga has been entirely forthcoming with them.

At breakfast she inquires if any post has arrived.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:28 pm
by VictoriaSilverwolf
A servant remarks that a handful of letters have arrived for the Baron; an event which is not unusual, given the fact that the post from the village is only delivered once a fortnight or so. Nothing addressed to any of the guests is among the packet.

The party is advised to break their fast lightly, as the Baron's birthday celebration will take place mid-day, and will include substantial victuals.

Isaac diplomatically advises the adventurers that small presents for the Baron would not be inadvisable. Since they have not had opportunity to make purchases for the occasion -- nor, indeed, would the village be an appropriate source for any such -- these will, perforce, take the form of items which the guests currently possess or which could be made by hand in a matter of hours. He is himself planning to offer a curious item obtained from Barbary, whilst Raquel has nearly completed a charming bit of embroidery.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:33 pm
by Rooter

Lacking any appropriate item to gift, Lila hurriedly avails herself of the chateau kitchens to prepare a classic English sweet to offer--the small sugar cookies called Shrewsbury cakes--which she hopes may prove a rarity in these distant reaches of France. Ines or Miss Carrow might be enlisted to help with the baking if they have no gift of their own to prepare.

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:44 pm
by SunlessNick
Wruter wrote:Ines or Miss Carrow might be enlisted to help with the baking if they have no gift of their own to prepare.

Ines has nothing that would make a suitable gift for a nobleman, so gratefully accepts Miss Davenport's suggestion.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 am
by Mr. Handy
OOC,Can I presume that I have some item of jewelry or a valuable gemstone that would make a suitable gift? I'm reluctant to part with one of my inventions or scientific curiosities I've obtained. I could make a copy of one of my inventions for him if there were a suitable lab in the Chateau, and if there's enough time to do it.

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:28 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Can I presume that I have some item of jewelry or a valuable gemstone that would make a suitable gift? I'm reluctant to part with one of my inventions or scientific curiosities I've obtained. I could make a copy of one of my inventions for him if there were a suitable lab in the Chateau, and if there's enough time to do it.
Spoiler:
It would be fine to have a gemstone or some such. No lab in the Chateau.

Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:39 am
by VictoriaSilverwolf
Spoiler:
The Patient Reader will please proceed to Chapter the Eleventh.