Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Re: Chapter the Tenth: The Road to Toulouse

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Spoiler:
Got called into work so I'm here for a little while today.

The assumption about the mirror is correct. It may be used as you please.

The players should indicate who will interview the Baron and the Baroness. The conversations will take place at different times, so it is possible for one person to question both. You may also invite whichever non-player characters (except the soldiers and Macaria) you deem fit to be present. Someone should serve as the primary spokesperson at each meeting. You should also indicate what information you wish to give the Baron and/or the Baroness, and what information you wish to obtain from them.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Lila will be primary spokesperson for the Baroness and perhaps Miss Carrow will accompany her. She may be present if the Baron is interviewed but won't presume upon a nobleman at business. She won't wish to cause the Baroness any upset with mention of soldiers breaking in so will inquire regarding the family history leading on to the rumors of a treasure and evil spirits.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
Dr North seems like the logical choice as primary spokesman for speaking with the Baron. Isaac's presence might help convince him that assisting us in our business is in the interests of the de Hautommes children. Ines would probably be worse than useless at either meeting - is there anything else she could do in the meantime? (Charlotte seems to be an unruly sort, and might relish the idea of spilling family stories)
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
About to leave for some days so I'll start things off in what seems to be a logical fashion.
Pleased by the prospect of masculine company as a break from his work, the Baron welcomes Doctor North and Senor del Zaragoza into his study. After some general conversation of politics and like matters, and assurance that Charlotte is progressing adequately with her lessons, he is open to inquiries.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Miss Davenport, Miss Carrow, and Senorita del Zaragoza gather in the drawing room with the Baroness for a session of needlework and conversation. After general inquires are made as to the health and general condition of the other members of family (Raquel particularly solicitous concerning Stephan), the Baroness displays a willingness to address questions.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Ines comes across Charlotte in the small library of the Chateau, where she alternates between studying Euclid's Elements with reading Claude Prosper Jolyot de Crebillion's scandalous novel Le Sopha, conte moral. She is happy to be interrupted in her studies and welcomes the Gypsy, making inquiry as to what gossip she may have brought with her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've been thinking about those soldiers and their intentions, Baron," says Henry. "We noticed signs of a recent fire in one of the caves nearby, so it appears that they were camped there. The map they had left in the coach showed that they were interested in this Chateau, in particular the abandoned portion. We've heard rumours that there are riches concealed there. Those rumours are obviously untrue, but the soldiers may have heard them and believed them. I have no doubt that that part of the Chateau is dangerous, and the soldiers would be putting themselves at risk if they decide to trespass there. We may able to dissuade them if we could find and speak to them, but we would first need to know what actually is in that area and why it is off-limits. If there is indeed a spirit haunting it, as some of the rumours suggest, my companions and I have experience with such things. We may be able to put them to rest."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Whilst preparing to meet with the Baroness, Lila has had a sudden insight. Looking back at the letter of introduction from Mrs. Piper, it states that the de Hautommes' other son who is in the French army is named Guillaume, the same name which appeared on the soldiers' map. There must be a connection.

"My lady, do you expect your son Guillaume to return home from his service soon?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines gives a Charlotte a partial recounting of events in Paris - eliding the role and death of Mr Witherly, as she does not wish to put Miss Davenport's grief into the hands of a gossip. She emphasises the salacious nature of Violette and Roterstein's respective appetites - "Truly, under the influence of his potion, it was as if he had taken command of my very body" - in the hopes that Charlotte will try to one-up her with stories of her own.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"We've been thinking about those soldiers and their intentions, Baron," says Henry. "We noticed signs of a recent fire in one of the caves nearby, so it appears that they were camped there. The map they had left in the coach showed that they were interested in this Chateau, in particular the abandoned portion. We've heard rumours that there are riches concealed there. Those rumours are obviously untrue, but the soldiers may have heard them and believed them. I have no doubt that that part of the Chateau is dangerous, and the soldiers would be putting themselves at risk if they decide to trespass there. We may able to dissuade them if we could find and speak to them, but we would first need to know what actually is in that area and why it is off-limits. If there is indeed a spirit haunting it, as some of the rumours suggest, my companions and I have experience with such things. We may be able to put them to rest."
"I hold no belief in spirits," remarks the Baron. "Stories told by peasants to scare unruly children."

"'There are more things in heaven and earth,'" says Isaac softly, his voice tapering off. Upon seeing the Baron raise his eyebrows, he continues, "Forgive me. Charlotte and I have been studying Hamlet and my mind wandered for a moment. Pay me no mind."

"As for riches," the Baron goes on, after giving Isaac a peculiar look, "supposedly one of my ancestors secreted a valuable item of some sort within the abandoned section of the Chateau. Surely some treasure hunter would have run across it by now if there were any truth to the tale. As for the soldiers, Devil take them! If they were men of honor like my elder son, they would be at their posts, not skulking about like brigands. May they come to a bad end!"

After having expressed this opinion with some passion, the Baron calms himself, as if abashed to have shown such emotion.

"As far as the empty rooms go, there is not much to be said about them. An old library, its volumes crumbling; a small storage room, full of this, that, and the other, of no great value; three bedchambers with ruined furniture; an abandoned chapel, stripped of its valuables long ago; and old servants' quarters no longer needed. I forbid entry into them strictly to prevent harm to curious innocents. Intruders bent on mischief may suffer the consequences with no sympathy from me."

After the interview is completed, Isaac takes Doctor North aside and whispers to him.

"Should any of your party take it upon themselves to risk exploring the area, I should be most interested." With, he takes his leave.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

Whilst preparing to meet with the Baroness, Lila has had a sudden insight. Looking back at the letter of introduction from Mrs. Piper, it states that the de Hautommes' other son who is in the French army is named Guillaume, the same name which appeared on the soldiers' map. There must be a connection.

"My lady, do you expect your son Guillaume to return home from his service soon?"
"I am afraid that word does not come often of my dear boy, communications being what they are," she explains. "We are expecting to receive any messages that have arrived for us to be delivered from the village on the morrow. If Heaven favors us, a letter from Guillaume will be amongst them, as we have not had one for some time. It would delight his father no end to hear from him during his birthday celebration."

When the conversation turns to the supposed haunting of the empty part of the Chateau, the Baroness admits that, as a newly arrived bride, she set foot within the old chapel and felt a strange presence therein, although this may have simply been a feverish delusion brought about by the unusual coldness of the place. It may be noted that this account has a strong effect on Raquel, who murmurs a prayer against evil spirits and fingers her rosary.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines gives a Charlotte a partial recounting of events in Paris - eliding the role and death of Mr Witherly, as she does not wish to put Miss Davenport's grief into the hands of a gossip. She emphasises the salacious nature of Violette and Roterstein's respective appetites - "Truly, under the influence of his potion, it was as if he had taken command of my very body" - in the hopes that Charlotte will try to one-up her with stories of her own.
Charlotte opens her eyes wide.

"How thrilling! Nothing exciting ever happens around this dreary old place." She leans forward and speaks intimately to the Gypsy. "I have to content myself with handsome servants. They are so very grateful for my favors that they would do anything for me! Don't tell Papa," she goes on in a low voice, "but one of the abandoned rooms is a fine place for a rendezvous with a village boy as well. You will no doubt have opportunity to discover that for yourself!"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

As they are leaving the presence of the Baroness, Lila turns to Raquel. "I am sorry if all this talk of spirits upsets you. But you must understand that sometimes more than faith is needed to protect us."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Don't tell Papa," she goes on in a low voice, "but one of the abandoned rooms is a fine place for a rendezvous with a village boy as well. You will no doubt have opportunity to discover that for yourself!"

"The thought of a ghost watching me with a village boy - I do not know whether I would be excited or afraid," says Ines. If Charlotte looks puzzled at her bringing up ghosts all of a sudden, she goes on, "Some have said that part of the Chateau is haunted. It adds a frisson to the thought of any pleasurable interlude in the place, yes?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for your time and your hospitality, Baron," says Henry. After the Baron gives his leave, he goes to rejoin his companions to compare notes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

As they are leaving the presence of the Baroness, Lila turns to Raquel. "I am sorry if all this talk of spirits upsets you. But you must understand that sometimes more than faith is needed to protect us."
"I must seem a timid creature to you," Raquel says shyly. "If you had seen some of the things I have witnessed in my father's workshop -- but I must say no more. He has forbidden me to speak of it." With that she scurries away.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"Don't tell Papa," she goes on in a low voice, "but one of the abandoned rooms is a fine place for a rendezvous with a village boy as well. You will no doubt have opportunity to discover that for yourself!"

"The thought of a ghost watching me with a village boy - I do not know whether I would be excited or afraid," says Ines. If Charlotte looks puzzled at her bringing up ghosts all of a sudden, she goes on, "Some have said that part of the Chateau is haunted. It adds a frisson to the thought of any pleasurable interlude in the place, yes?"
"Hmm. You have been speaking to Stephan, I suppose. He imagines there is something frightening in the place, but then he has always been a dreamer. I would only suggest that you take plenty of furs with you if you venture there with a companion. It is so cold and drafty, but embracing while wrapped in sable is delightful!"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Thank you for your time and your hospitality, Baron," says Henry. After the Baron gives his leave, he goes to rejoin his companions to compare notes.
After sharing such information as they have obtained, the adventurers retire and enjoy a peaceful night, ready for tomorrow's celebration.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Raquel's mention of her father's mysterious 'workshop' leads Lila to speculate as to whether Senor del Garazoga has been entirely forthcoming with them.

At breakfast she inquires if any post has arrived.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A servant remarks that a handful of letters have arrived for the Baron; an event which is not unusual, given the fact that the post from the village is only delivered once a fortnight or so. Nothing addressed to any of the guests is among the packet.

The party is advised to break their fast lightly, as the Baron's birthday celebration will take place mid-day, and will include substantial victuals.

Isaac diplomatically advises the adventurers that small presents for the Baron would not be inadvisable. Since they have not had opportunity to make purchases for the occasion -- nor, indeed, would the village be an appropriate source for any such -- these will, perforce, take the form of items which the guests currently possess or which could be made by hand in a matter of hours. He is himself planning to offer a curious item obtained from Barbary, whilst Raquel has nearly completed a charming bit of embroidery.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lacking any appropriate item to gift, Lila hurriedly avails herself of the chateau kitchens to prepare a classic English sweet to offer--the small sugar cookies called Shrewsbury cakes--which she hopes may prove a rarity in these distant reaches of France. Ines or Miss Carrow might be enlisted to help with the baking if they have no gift of their own to prepare.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Wruter wrote:Ines or Miss Carrow might be enlisted to help with the baking if they have no gift of their own to prepare.

Ines has nothing that would make a suitable gift for a nobleman, so gratefully accepts Miss Davenport's suggestion.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”