Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We must find Violette DuPray," says Henry. "She will be here somewhere, most likely in disguise, though we can recognize her. She may be getting help from some of her followers, so perhaps finding them would lead us to her. We should spread out and join different gatherings to increase our chances of locating her, then send messages to the rest of us once she is found so that we can all confront her together. I shall join a salon discussing matters of state, as that may be an interest of hers. Ivan can mingle with the servants and those of the lower classes. He can describe her to them to see if any of them have seen her. Elizabeth, perhaps given your talents you would be best suited to the musical gatherings."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Concurring with the doctor's plan, Lila meanwhile mingles among the gossiping and flirting noble ladies of the French court, hoping to overhear some chance remark which might prove salient.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

If one could take upon oneself the form of a miniscule flying insect, it would be a simple matter to flit unobserved from one location to another at will. Let us use the power of imagination, then, to picture ourselves as witnesses to the sundry experiences of the adventurers.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Spoiler:
Ivan INT = 7 to overhear something relevant; CHA = 9 to have a social contact present.[dice]0[/dice]
Amongst the servants, there are none known personally to Ivan. However, by remaining quiet and paying close attention to what is whispered between a pair of Russian footmen (no doubt sent from Empress Catherine II as a gift to Louis XVI) he obtains a useful piece of information.

-- We must be sure to well away before the clock strikes twelve! I fear there will be trouble. --
-- By Saint Basil, you are right. These Frenchmen no no loyalty to their betters. --

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Mister Witherly has taken it upon himself to join a game of quadrille, in the hope of overhearing some relevant remarks.
Spoiler:
INT and WIS = 9 for skill and luck.[dice]1[/dice]
The cards do not fall his way, and he has to spend so much time minimizing his losses that he is unable to concentrate on conversation.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Miss Carrow, despite a limited familiarity with the French language, is welcomed to the musical salon and is invited to sing.
Spoiler:
CON = 9 + 3 for Singing asset = 12[dice]2[/dice]
Unfortunately, it seems that the cold weather has rendered her voice less than perfect. Although sympathetic, the persons gathered about the harpsichord do not take her into their confidence, and nothing of consequence is learned.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Miss Davenport has no trouble joining in conversation, due to her expertise in French.
Spoiler:
CHA = 7; conditional + 3 for Beautiful = 10 and conditional + 1 for scar = 8 or 13[dice]3[/dice]
In fact, she is something of an object of much attention, perhaps due to the novelty of an Englishwoman able to express herself so proficiently. She is soon drawn into the the confidence of several persons. She learns that a selected few who have won special favor will be allowed to witness the appearance of Their Majesties at midnight in a private chamber. A discussion which follows, concerning those fortunate enough to have won invitation to this gathering, reveals that amongst those present will be none other than Violette DuPray. Of course, no one is aware of her madness or nefarious activities, and she is simply thought of as a distant relation of the King. If Miss Davenport would care to attend the affair with her companions, the exact location of the private chamber, as well as a card of introduction, will be provided, in gratitude for having provided pleasant company.

____________________________________________________________________________________

After these various encounters, the adventurers gather in a secluded area, awaiting word from Ines as to what other information she may have procured.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Was I able to learn anything in the salon?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Were the clothes Dr North purchased for Ines consistent with the upper or lower classes? Either way, given her inability to speak French, she would be of little use in the salons the others visited - she could have done what Ivan did and listened to servants in the hopes of hearing Spanish or English speakers. However, for the later gathering, she would be willing to play the part of a companion or servant to Miss Davenport, if it would enable her presence.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The experiences of the other two members of the party are narrated to the rest.
Spoiler:
Doctor North INT = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Impressed by his insight into the differences and similarities between the governments of the two great nations separated by a narrow channel, the gentlemen discussing politics let slip the fact that several of them intend to make haste to be gone before midnight.

-- There are dangerous-looking persons of the lower classes outside. -- one whispers. -- Some of them appear to be armed in unusual ways. Take care. --
Spoiler:
Ines CHA = 9 + conditional 3 for Beauty = 12[dice]1[/dice]
Meanwhile, the Gypsy has not drawn much attention despite her obvious charms, perhaps due both to the barrier of language and her darkly exotic countenance, not considered fashionable amongst those wearing heavy powder.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

When Henry and Ivan rejoin the others, they fill them in on what they have discovered. "It seems that whatever is to happen, it shall be at midnight," he says, checking his pocketwatch to see what time it is now.
OOC,I'd have bought [b]Ines[/b] whichever sort of clothes she preferred.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I have received an offer of invitation for us to attend the private gathering with the royals where Miss Dupray is said to be a guest," Lila discloses. "The question is how best to approach the task of confronting and exposing our quarry since she will surely recognize most of us. Needless to say, if an attempt is made upon the life of the King we must be ready to act."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I'd have bought [b]Ines[/b] whichever sort of clothes she preferred.
OOC,Ines would be an obvious newcomer to upper-class clothing, and would probably draw attention - lower class clothing would be both more comfortable for her and better for the company's incognito.

"If there are attackers gathering outside," says Ines, "should we warn the guards? If we do, so close to the palace, I fear they will strike at the innocent as readily as the guilty."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Yet their very intent may be to distract the guards, thus leaving the King more vulnerable." Lila considers. "Could we make use of the fact that Miss Dupray is unlikely to recognize Ines? If there is time enough Doctor North might be able to prepare some form of potent sleeping draught which Ines might with sleight of hand give to our quarry in a glass of wine or some such, with the opportunity. Or else must we wait for her attempt and use our foreknowledge to thwart her in the act? She will no doubt be difficult to detain."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You may very well be right about the mob outside being a distraction," says Henry. "Of course, they will be distracted anyway when the mob attacks at midnight. No doubt they are her followers, still armed with Roterstein's weapons. If there is enough time before midnight, it may be helpful to warn the guards now so that the mob is not around to distract them at the time of the attack. In any event, it seems that several of the people here are well aware of them and are intending to leave before midnight. If the guards are paying attention, they should have taken note of them. I could prepare a sleeping draught, but if it cannot be delivered, then we will simply have to be present to stop her attack, whatever form it may take. At least she should not be wearing armour this time, though the aqua regia we found some time ago could dissolve it if she were."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Wruter wrote:"Could we make use of the fact that Miss Dupray is unlikely to recognize Ines? If there is time enough Doctor North might be able to prepare some form of potent sleeping draught which Ines might with sleight of hand give to our quarry in a glass of wine or some such, with the opportunity. Or else must we wait for her attempt and use our foreknowledge to thwart her in the act? She will no doubt be difficult to detain."

"If she takes me as a servant, she might simply accept food or drink from me," adds Ines. "Have we time to discover in which rooms she is staying? She will most likely want something with which to fortify herself before her attempt. If we could intercept its bearer and I deliver it instead."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After these plans are discussed, and discreet inquiries made, the following information is obtained.

The guards are well aware of the gathering of armed members of the lower classes outside. This is not very surprising, given the unrest among the populace, which has led to a meeting of the Estates General to be held next year; something which has not happened for more than a century and a half. They assure the party that they will be on the alert.

More surprising is the fact that Violette DuPray has become something of a favorite of the Queen; she will, in fact, be making her appearance in the company of Her Majesty, and is no doubt at this very moment -- the clock having not long ago struck eleven -- engaged in the final preparations in the company of Marie Antoinette and her many attendants. (It is possible that she has won this enviable position partly because the Queen is not very popular at Court. Of course, such opinions are held by more than those who dare to speak them.) It is no great secret as to the location of Her Majesty's private chambers, but gaining entrance therein would prove challenging.
Spoiler:
Doctor North INT = 13 + 1 Scientific Genius + 3 Profession of Physician, this being a draught intended to have medical action = 17[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North makes haste to create an effective sleeping draught, making use of strong spirits as well as certain herbs obtained from the kitchen.
Spoiler:
I will give you the choice of making this a one time only, "normal" sleeping draught, in which case it will induce a state of unconsciousness equivalent to heavy drunkenness, leaving you free to choose a Third Level mad Invention when the time comes, or of making it your Third Level Mad Invention now, in which case it will release a heavy mist which will act in a manner equivalent to a Hypnotic Pattern, and you be able to create a batch of it at will.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I can't make a Third Level Mad Invention yet anyway. I'm not yet Level 3, and even if I were, I'd have to cannibalize the Cauteriser, which I'd rather not do. Plus, the next Mad Invention I want to make is the Illuminator, which produces light and is only Level One. I'll make a "normal" sleeping draught.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"We must decide our approach," Lila prompts. "It is Ines' decision as to whether she will attempt the subterfuge. If we all attempt to gain entry to the Queen's chambers it is likely we shall have to confront our quarry directly, and she will know of our presence. On the other hand if we can somehow expose her before she has the opportunity to strike at the King it may prove the better course. Otherwise I shall mingle among the guests at the midnight gathering out of Miss DuPray's sight and be prepared for action."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If the draught can be delivered in advance, I think that would be preferable," says Henry. "Otherwise, we shall have no choice but to join the gathering and intervene."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I am willing to attempt the ruse," says Ines. "But I still cannot speak French. I am not confident that I could enter the Queen's own chambers without causing suspicion."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Then let us proceed there and see what may be done."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Davenport and Ines proceed in the direction of the Queen's chambers, passing many persons of lofty position in the multiple corridors leading in that direction. Some of them eye the two ladies curiously, but do not address them directly. Once they reach the door leading to the outermost antechamber of Her Majesty's quarters, they are met by an elaborately dressed footman who stands before it. His manner is firm but polite.

-- May I ask what business you have here, mademoiselles? --
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila feigns a stern manner and indicates Ines with a dismissive wave. --I am merely returning this maidservant to her mistress, a friend of mine named Lady DuPray who is within. The girl was assisting me with my toilette. Go along, girl, back to your mistress.-- She nudges Ines toward the door then quickly pulls out her invitation to the midnight gathering and waves it under the footman's nose in an effort to distract his attention from Ines' entry. --Now, my good man, kindly enlighten me as to the direction of this chamber for I am quite lost.--

Return to “Ghastly Affair”