Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

While the gentlemen enjoy cigars of excellent quality, manufactured in Spain from Indian weed grown in the colony -- or, as they would insist, the "state" -- of Virginia, a gentleman arrayed in the plain but expertly tailored clothing of a prosperous merchant approaches them.

"Forgive this intrusion, please," he says in excellent, if slightly accented, English. "I am always very interested in the opinions of visitors from England, particularly in matters of business. It is well known," he continues in a slightly lower voice, "that the royal treasury is -- how do the Italians phrase it? -- banca rotta. Without funds, you understand. Our esteemed Parlament," he says, with a note of sarcasm, "has failed to reform the tax system. Things have gone so badly awry that Étienne Charles de Loménie de Brienne -- the Minister of Finance for His Majesty -- has called upon the Estates General to meet next year; something which has not occurred since the time of Louis XIII! What does it portend, do you think?"

It will be remembered that the Parlament consists of the nobility, while the Estates General will include representatives from all classes, including the commoners.

Mister Witherly, whose liberal opinions have often been noted before, suggests that this may lead to radical changes in the French government.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The ladies withdraw into a small, comfortable room where several elegantly arrayed women are engaged in whispered discussion of their love affairs; many of which, it would seem, meet with the approval, or at least the tolerance, of their husbands, as long as they are engaged in discretely. There is also much gossip about the Queen (referred to by one of the bolder ladies as "that Austrian") and her lavish spending. The Affair of the Diamond Necklace is still of much interest to the people of France, it would seem, and the assembled women seem to blame the Queen for bringing scandal to the royal family.

After Miss Davenport has absorbed much of this information and related it to her companions, one of the older ladies glances at them through her lorgnette, taking particular notice of Ines.

-- Might one inquire for what reason you have allowed your servant girl to accompany you into our salon? --
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think it portends trouble," says Henry between puffs on his cigar. "The wealthy will never allow themselves to be taxed heavily to refill the coffers, which means they'll try to do it on the backs of the common people. I can't see them standing for it either."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Indeed, sir," the merchant replies. "I believe it might be a good time for me to pay an extended visit to your island nation." Leaning in a bit closer, he withdraws a slip of paper from his pocket. It contains a crudely drawn image of a woman in medieval armor above the single word Libertie. "There are many of these scattered about the city. Be careful, my friend." With that he takes his leave.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry shows the drawing to Mr. Witherly. "I think we know who this is," he says. "We need to find out where these are being printed."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

-- My pardons, madame. -- Lila replies to the inquiry concerning Ines. -- But in fact Miss Maya is the daughter of an esteemed Spanish diplomat who has fallen upon hard times and now has arrived in your fair city seeking to regain prosperity though such advantageous opportunities and liaisons as she may find. --

Lila hopes that such an embellishing of the truth will appeal to the ladies' tastes for social intrigue.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

(Incidentally, this is probably the first time Ines will have tried coffee - she enjoys the flavour immensely, though it took a few sips to get used to drinking so hot a beverage).
"Unusual taste, at first," said Elizabeth. "Of course the brandy makes it, I think!"

She leant close to Miss Davenport and whispered: "Let's just hope no one of them speaks Spanish, which they may do considering there is a merchant from the American colonies talking with Doctor North." Aloud: "Tell me more about 'The Affair of the Diamond Necklace,' not too racy, I trust?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

-- My pardons, madame. -- Lila replies to the inquiry concerning Ines. -- But in fact Miss Maya is the daughter of an esteemed Spanish diplomat who has fallen upon hard times and now has arrived in your fair city seeking to regain prosperity though such advantageous opportunities and liaisons as she may find. --

Lila hopes that such an embellishing of the truth will appeal to the ladies' tastes for social intrigue.
Spoiler:
CHA = 7 + 1 True Innocent; the effects of coffee and brandy cancel each other out.[dice]0[/dice]
The lady seems skeptical but is unwilling to cause a scene. She simply disregards the newcomers entirely, turning back to the other women.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Tabs wrote:Image
(Incidentally, this is probably the first time Ines will have tried coffee - she enjoys the flavour immensely, though it took a few sips to get used to drinking so hot a beverage).
"Unusual taste, at first," said Elizabeth. "Of course the brandy makes it, I think!"

She leant close to Miss Davenport and whispered: "Let's just hope no one of them speaks Spanish, which they may do considering there is a merchant from the American colonies talking with Doctor North." Aloud: "Tell me more about 'The Affair of the Diamond Necklace,' not too racy, I trust?"
Spoiler:
To see if any of the ladies understand English. INT = 9[dice]0[/dice]
There are only looks of confusion from the assembled women, who are evidently fluent only in their own language. Miss Davenport, however, will be able to provide a translation on Miss Carrow's inquiry.
Spoiler:
CHA = 11[dice]1[/dice]
The younger women present find the English newcomer completely charming; they find her sweetness and naivete refreshing.

It would be tedious for the Patient Reader to endure a complete account of the conversation which is translated by Miss Davenport, although the young ladies find it most amusing. Suffice to say that an account of the Affair of the Diamond Necklace is conveyed to Miss Carrow, with much comment on the character of the Queen. (It is notable that she is referred to as Maria Antonia, rather than her adopted French name of Marie Antoinette, indicating that she is still thought of my many as an unwelcome foreigner.) The scandal is complex and uncertain, with the various parties involved all claiming innocence. To be very brief, the Queen's reputation, never very high, was besmirched by the implication that she participated in a crime to defraud the crown jewelers of the cost of a most expensive diamond necklace. Whatever the truth of the matter may be, it has done the King no good, particularly considering the precarious state of the Treasury.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila, who has become used to Miss Carrow charming everyone while she herself remains an uncharismatic social presence, translates patiently. -- Miss Carrow was wondering if you had perhaps heard tell of another lady recently arrived in the city, one Violette DuPray, mesdames? -- she inquires when the opportunity arises.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
INT of the group = 9[dice]0[/dice]
One of the ladies is familiar with the name.

-- Some time ago there was a gentleman by that name, newly arrived in the city, in search of his sister. But yes, I believe he said her name was Violette. Whether he was able to find her or not I do not know. She seemed to be living somewhere in the Quartier Latin, if memory serves; the Rive Gauche, you understand. Poor thing, she suffered from some illness or other. Ah, he was a most charming fellow! I should very much like to make his acquaintance again. It is a fine thing to have a handsome admirer to keep one's husband in a proper state of jealousy, to be sure. Do you know where one might find him these days? --

It will be remembered that the Quartier Latin is the area of Paris near the Collège de Sorbonne, so named for the language universally used by its students, and that the Rive Gauche is the region of the city south of the Seine.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

-- I am afraid Monsieur DuPray has already left Paris. -- Lila replies before relating this new information to the others in English.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

By this time the coach arranged for the party is ready to convey its passengers from the outskirts of Paris to the city's heart, where accommodation has been arranged for the night. The ride is a short and pleasant one, and the adventurers soon arrive at 56 Rue Jacob. The establishment at this location appears to be an acceptable one. As the passengers enter they are greeted by the proprietor, who is a portly, balding man of middle years. It is soon evident that he is able to speak English, having rendered service to many a British subject over the years. In particular, he is very proud that the eminent Doctor Franklin, a figure much revered in France, stayed here during the negotiations which led to the Treaty of Paris. (Given the fact that this recognized the independence of the rebellious American colonies, this may not have been the most diplomatic anecdote to relate.)

The night is uneventful. The next day the adventurers are free to decide which of their variegated goals they will pursue, what information will be required, and from whence it might best be sought.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

"How mant people live in this Quartier Latin?" asks Ines. "Could Violette DuPray have gone quietly among her very neighbours?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry would have liked to have met Benjamin Franklin. Politics aside, the man is a genius without peer. "Paris, while not as immense as London, is still a large city," he says. "The Latin Quarter is a fair-sized part of it, so I'm sure many people live there. However, Violette would certainly stand out and draw attention wherever she went. And we have this." He shows them the drawing. "These have appearing all over Paris. It would be helpful if we could find out where they're being printed and who is distributing them. We might be able to trace them back to find her whereabouts. I would like to inquire at the Sorbonne, which is not far away from the Latin Quarter. I could say I am seeking out the most brilliant minds with whom I can discuss science and invention. My credentials should speak for themselves. I might not necessarily need a translator. While they might not speak English there, I'm sure they would know the languages of higher education, particularly Latin, German, and Greek."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

"The Sorbonne and the LaMont estate might be places where we can safely divide," says Ines, "though the streets and roads between them and here may be far from it."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I suggest we accompany Doctor North to the Collège de Sorbonne," Lila says. "Miss Carrow, since it is known that Violette DuPray has a certain ... interest in you, it may be safer for you to remain here for the time being, perhaps in the company of Mister Witherly or Ivan, while we make our inquiries."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mister Witherly agrees to remain with Miss Carrow (and her faithful pet); no doubt such charming company will help to relieve the pain in his heart. Ivan, of course, follows his master's orders to the best of his ability and will serve as discouragement to any miscreants who might seek to cause the other harm.

Upon arrival at the Collège de Sorbonne the party is greeted by a young student who, it seems, has been temporarily tasked with the responsibility of directing visitors to the proper areas, or, if need be, preventing them from disturbing the scholars therein. (There have been unpleasant disputes not only with the poorest of the common folk, who resent what they see as idlers when they labor like slaves and have no bread, but also with mendicant orders and Jesuits over doctrinal matters. The Sorbonne fiercely defends it tradition of teaching as it sees fit, and is proud to have played a leading role in the intellectual reawakening which has given Paris the title City of Light.)

The young man is impressed with Doctor North's mastery of Latin, and converses with him in that tongue, that he may better his use of it. He is polite to the ladies, but does not pay them much mind.

-- In what manner may I assist you, sir? --
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Henry. "I am Dr. Henry North, just recently arrived in Paris. As a man of learning, I of course had to visit the Sorbonne. I was hoping to meet fellow men of genius and education. In particular, I am interested in speaking with those skilled in the invention of complex mechanical devices. I've always had a particular talent in that area myself, and it would be good to compare notes with others with the same interests."
OOC,[b]Lila[/b] may also want to ask about doing further research on the mirror here.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

When the opportunity arises, Lila asks the student meekly in French, -- Monsieur, might I be permitted the use of your reference library on a personal errand? --
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

To Doctor North:

-- I see. I believe it would be best to introduce you to Antoine-Laurent de Lavoisier, a nobleman like yourself, who is most learned in Natural Philosophy. He is a very busy man with many responsibilities in the government of His Majesty, but I believe he is currently here at the College involved in some sort of experimentation on the nature of various substances. If you would be so good as to come with me, I think I can track him down. --

To Miss Davenport:

-- Well, it is not normally done, but seeing as you here under the auspices of this fine gentleman, I would imagine a brief visit can be arranged. You must, of course, be accompanied by a member of the faculty. Will this other lady be joining you as well? --

Return to “Ghastly Affair”