Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by SunlessNick »

"We should look at the window before Vespers in case some harm is planned to the congregation," says Ines. Unconsciously touching the scar on her side from the boar's horn, she adds, "There was also the ticking in the armoury - the cages at the menagerie were opened by timed devices. Perhaps we must split up after all."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You are right," says Henry. "We must learn all we can before Vespers, as that is when things will begin. In that case, I will go with the group heading through the secret passage to the armourer's. I'm best suited to deal with any clockwork devices."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"In that case I shall assist in examining the window," Lila says.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

And as it can be assumed that Ivan will accompany Dr North, Ines will remain with Miss Davenport. The remaining policeman should probably go with Dr North.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

This strategy having been made, the members of the party go their separate ways.

Doctor North, Ivan, and the policeman arrive back at the secret passage leading to the armorer's chamber. It admits them easily; apparently anyone familiar with it is expected to pass without challenge.

The chest of unusual weapons and other arcane objects is no longer present. In its place stands a
mechanism taller even than the mighty Russian. It resembles nothing so much as a breaking wheel, that fearsome instrument of torture and execution favored in medieval times, and still sometimes used in less enlightened nations. However, it is not made of wood, but of various metallic substances of varying kinds, some dull and gray, others mirror-like. The whole rotates slowly, producing the sound which was heard outside the door. Curiously, although the room as a whole is quite dusty, the floor is completely clean for a hands-breath around the device, and even the air in its immediate vicinity is unusually clear. It is evident as well that a portion of the mechanism extends beneath the device, through the floor, to places unknown. Remarkably, the room has a peculiar odor, reminiscent of the atmosphere after a thunderstorm.

At the Cathedral, it remains to be decided which of the two ladies will ascend the ladder and which will remain below to steady it.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry examines the mechanism, trying to fathom its purpose. "That smell...it's ozone, I think," he says. "Roterstein may be using electricity. I know Benjamin Franklin has done some experiments with it. It could be used as a source of power, perhaps."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:At the Cathedral, it remains to be decided which of the two ladies will ascend the ladder and which will remain below to steady it.
OOC:   Ines's strength and constitution are both 9, while Lila's are respectively 9 and 8. Could we conclude from that that Lila is a bit smaller than Ines?  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
OOC:   Not necessarily since Constitution measures endurance and resistance to disease or injury but either way it seems more likely that Dexterity will be required in climbing.  
Lila volunteers to ascend the ladder.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines braces herself to hold the ladder.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Henry examines the mechanism, trying to fathom its purpose. "That smell...it's ozone, I think," he says. "Roterstein may be using electricity. I know Benjamin Franklin has done some experiments with it. It could be used as a source of power, perhaps."
Spoiler:
INT = 12 + 3 Mechanical Genius = 15[dice]0[/dice]
Doctor North's experience with complex devices not entirely dissimilar convinces him that this peculiar mechanism is intended to produce galvanism of great power; but for what purpose cannot be ascertained, as it apparently directs this force to some distant point via the connections through the floor.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines braces herself to hold the ladder.
Spoiler:
STR = 9[dice]0[/dice]
The unusually great size of this ladder proves a challenge. It is not immediately clear whether Ines will be able to continue to hold it secure as Miss Davenport ascends.
Spoiler:
You may choose to spend the Faith point earned previously to roll another 1d20 against Strength.
The point is lost whether this succeeds or fails. If it fails, or if you choose not to spend the point, Miss Davenport will have to descend quickly, after only a brief examination of the window.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image
Spoiler:
OOC:   Not necessarily since Constitution measures endurance and resistance to disease or injury but either way it seems more likely that Dexterity will be required in climbing.  
Lila volunteers to ascend the ladder.
Spoiler:
DEXTERITY = 18[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport is able to climb with the ease of an acrobat, despite the fact that the Gypsy's grasp on the ladder seems a bit unsure. In the worse case, only a quick examination will be possible.

This is enough to reveal that a peculiar arrangement of small mirrors, cleverly colored so as not to be seen among the stained glass by an observer below, has been attached to the central image of the Virgin. Unless there proves to be additional time before she must descend, Miss Davenport will be unable to ascertain the purpose of this.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
You may choose to spend the Faith point earned previously to roll another 1d20 against Strength.
The point is lost whether this succeeds or fails. If it fails, or if you choose not to spend the point, Miss Davenport will have to descend quickly, after only a brief examination of the window.
Spoiler:
I will spend the faith point - this may be an attack about to happpen on the Cathedral's congregation - for that, Ines would dig deep into her reserves.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I will spend the faith point - this may be an attack about to happpen on the Cathedral's congregation - for that, Ines would dig deep into her reserves.
Spoiler:
STR = 9[dice]0[/dice] close enough
Ines, summoning all her reserves of strength and whispering a prayer to the saints whose holy day is nigh, is able to keep the ladder steady, allowing Miss Davenport to examine the mirrors more closely.
Spoiler:
int = 11[dice]1[/dice]
She is able to deduce, from the manner in which they are arranged, that the intention is to create an illusion of some kind, although the exact details of how this will happen are not clear.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"As I suspected," says Henry. "This device uses galvanism to deliver tremendous power far below. What lies beneath there, I wonder? The crypt? Catacombs? Whatever this machine is powering, its purpose must be fell indeed if Roterstein invented it." He looks for a way to disable the device.
OOC,I had increased my Intelligence to 13 when I got the +1, by the way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"As I suspected," says Henry. "This device uses galvanism to deliver tremendous power far below. What lies beneath there, I wonder? The crypt? Catacombs? Whatever this machine is powering, its purpose must be fell indeed if Roterstein invented it." He looks for a way to disable the device.
OOC,I had increased my Intelligence to 13 when I got the +1, by the way.
Spoiler:
Thanks for keeping me on my toes.
The policeman is in agreement with this sentiment. Being a man of deeds rather than ideas, he takes the most direct action possible. Taking careful aim, he fires his pistol directly at the heart of the device.

The result is unexpected. Before it can reach its target, the bullet explodes with a tremendous roar and a blinding flash of light. Rendered briefly dazed by this event, Doctor North is not able to perceive exactly what occurs next; however, after a few seconds during which normal vision returns, it can be seen that the policeman lies upon the ground, face forward, in an apparently unresponsive state.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila decides not to attempt to tamper with the mirrors while in such a precarious position and descends the ladder to report her findings.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That was ill advised," says Henry, kneeling beside the policeman and doing what he can to aid him, ready to use the Cauteriser if necessary. "I will have to find a safe way to disable the mechanism."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Violette DuPray is playing as a false Saint," says Ines. "This image is likely to be false revelation. At least we can alert the clergymen to its presence."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"That was ill advised," says Henry, kneeling beside the policeman and doing what he can to aid him, ready to use the Cauteriser if necessary. "I will have to find a safe way to disable the mechanism."
The fellow is alive, with no obvious injuries, but does not respond to any stimuli. It is not immediately clear what technique, if any, might restore his senses.

"What we do about thing, Master?" Ivan inquires in a deep voice.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”