Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry lines up next, curious to see what he will receive, though he expects it will be some sort of mechanical device.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines silently thanks God that the man's (she wonders if this is the infamous Roterstein) strange ability to see into her seemingly did not alert him to her true cause. As she leaves, she gives the slightest of nods to Dr North.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The man examines Doctor North and Ivan through the strange lens, then addresses them in English.

"We have not many volunteers with servants. Be that as it may."

He gives Ivan what appears to be nothing more than a common rock, just the right size for the giant Russian's fist.

"Throw that far, when you throw it," he advises.

"For you," he continues, addressing Doctor North, "something special." He offers a vial containing a green liquid which glows with its own light. "I caution you to avoid taking this nostrum until the need is great. The effects are not entirely predictable."

With that he waves forward the next in line.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

As the last remaining of their group, Lila steps through.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A thin smile lights up the face of the man as Miss Davenport approaches. With a long, bony finger he lightly touches the scar upon her cheek. His skin is unusually cold and dry.

After stepping back and observing her through the lens, he speaks again in English.

"Your skills will be most welcome."

He digs down deep into the chest and withdraws a disc. Upon taking it, Miss Davenport notes that it is as heavy as if it were made of lead, although in color it is pure white. It fits perfectly in her hand.

"It is not necessary to hurl it with any force," he says. "Merely release it in the general direction of the target."

With that he dismisses her. It will be observed that a similar encounter occurs with each person present at the meeting.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Let us mingle with these others and observe their intentions," Lila suggests. "Oh, I forget the date; how far off is All Saints' Day?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After some moments of consultation, it is agreed that it is now very early in the morning (being just after midnight when this mysterious business is concluded) on Wednesday, October 29, in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Eighty-Eight. On Friday, at sunset, it will be Vespers on the Eve of All Saints' Day. The adventurers will have until then to prepare themselves.

Whilst mingling with the others present, it is evident that many of them are not familiar with the operation of the items with which they have been supplied. Some have destroyed the articles with which they were entrusted entirely, and a few have injured themselves or their companions, or done damage to the structure of the Cathedral.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will examine the gloves, though she will not put them on yet unless everyone in the gathering is trying to experiment with their weapon.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd like to analyze this stuff when I get a chance," says Henry. "I wouldn't want to drink this liquid until I know what it is."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Not the most efficient revolution," Lila observes. "Madame DuPray's schemes will surely lead to chaos. And there was something decidedly odd about that fellow, if he is indeed Roterstein, as seems the case..." She wonders whether there may be something more than a natural explanation for the cold of his touch, or if his strange appearance is simply the result of bizarre yet mundane scientific procedure...
Spoiler:
INT 11 + 1 Demonology to perceive any preternatural element, if appropriate.[dice]0[/dice]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines will examine the gloves, though she will not put them on yet unless everyone in the gathering is trying to experiment with their weapon.
As far as can be told, they are an ordinary pair of cloth gloves, notable only for the fact that they fit perfectly.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"I'd like to analyze this stuff when I get a chance," says Henry. "I wouldn't want to drink this liquid until I know what it is."

Doctor North will be able to perform an analysis of the substance whilst others may be engaged in some other activity the next day.
Spoiler:
INT = 12 + 1 SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE + 1 TI = 14[dice]0[/dice]
The liquid contains several different ingredients. These include a derivative of the leaf of the coca plant of the New World; a luminous compound containing phosphorus; derivatives of vegetables known to be conducive to health (limes, carrots, and cabbage seem to be the main sources for these); iron in a soluble form; sweet substances obtained from the distillation and separation of milk and honey; and other things which cannot be so easily identified. Overall, the mixture seems designed to induce a temporary state of increased energy and strength. It may have other effects as well.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

"Not the most efficient revolution," Lila observes. "Madame DuPray's schemes will surely lead to chaos. And there was something decidedly odd about that fellow, if he is indeed Roterstein, as seems the case..." She wonders whether there may be something more than a natural explanation for the cold of his touch, or if his strange appearance is simply the result of bizarre yet mundane scientific procedure...
Spoiler:
INT 11 + 1 Demonology to perceive any preternatural element, if appropriate.[dice]201400:0[/dice]
Miss Davenport's wide-ranging experience with the preternatural convinces her that there is nothing unearthly about the fellow, no matter how unpleasant his appearance.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Is anyone with authority at this gathering trying to prevent any of the chaos caused by experiments with these gifts? Or indeed anyone at all trying to?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Is anyone with authority at this gathering trying to prevent any of the chaos caused by experiments with these gifts? Or indeed anyone at all trying to?
As far as the adventurers can tell, the assembled persons went on their various ways, with no authority reigning over them. Whether they had previously received instructions from some commander is impossible to say.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're going to need to recruit help on this," says Henry. "Even as chaotic and disorganized as they are, the revolutionaries are far too numerous. With advance warning, the authorities may be able to put a stop to their plans before they start. We also need to examine the secret area now that the gathering has dispersed, try to find some indication of where Violette and Roterstein are, if they aren't still there, or any other clues. We can confront them when they're not surrounded by so many followers, if we can find them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The adventurers, having spent a day in their various researches, have another day and evening before the Eve of All Saints' Day in which to prepare their plans. If it is agreed that another excursion to the Cathedral is in order, they may best decide how to equip themselves and at what time of day they shall make their entry.

It must also be decided to whom information about the conspirators will be given. Some possibilities are the Provost of Paris (nominally the overseer of commerce); the Governor of Paris; the Lieutenant General of Police (head of the Garde de Paris and the Guet Royal); or some other figure.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we should alert the Lieutenant General of Police," says Henry. "He'll have command over enough men to help put a stop to this, once forewarned. We may also be able to enlist their help to raid the Cathedral."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines is visibly wary at the idea of having anything to do with the authorities, but her reasons have nothing to do with the situation at hand, and Dr North is obviously correct.

She adds, "The appearance of this armourer does tally with the descriptions of Roterstein given by witnesses to Dr North and Miss Carrow. And he spoke Spanish, like the man who approached the demimondaines I spoke to. But these gloves he gave me, and some of the other gifts he offered... your inventions seem like magic to me Dr North - I am not educated enough to see the difference. But even so, if these-" she indicates the gloves she was given "-are more than mere gloves, I cannot imagine them as anything but the work of magic."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He spoke English to me," says Henry. "I am a rational man, though I cannot ignore the evidence of my own eyes. I have seen much that appears to be supernatural. However, there is nothing inexplicable, merely unexplained. What most people see as magic is perhaps a science as yet unknown, except to a rare few like Mr. Rachman who have found a way to tap into its power. If this Roterstein can do it as well, that bodes ill. What is it about the gloves that makes them seem magical, aside from the fact that they fit you perfectly even though he never met you before?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”