Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do not know," says Henry, "but it would be best not to take any chances. Ivan's cloak does not fully cover him in any case. We should visit the tailor. I can afford clothes for all of us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"Most generous of you, doctor."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

"I thank you. That is very kind."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

After a bit of inquiry, the party is directed to a tailor's shop, easily identified by a wood placard depicting Saint Homobonus of Cremona, the patron of clothworkers. The tailor is a little man with long, delicate fingers. He is most agreeable when presented with the prospect of a large order.

-- You understand, of course, that even with the help of my apprentices, I would need a fortnight to complete the outfits. Will this be acceptable? --
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"A fortnight?" asks Henry. "If we pay extra, would it be possible to get it done sooner?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 1 TI + 3 Good Manners = 13[dice]0[/dice]
The tailor is a bit reluctant to delay the orders he already has, but after seeing the color of Doctor North's coins he agrees to make his order the highest priority, distributing part of the extra fee to his apprentices to insure that they work extra hours.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
-- If my boys and I work by night as well as by day, Monsieur, I believe we should have something for you three days from now. There is a great deal of handiwork required for even the simplest garment, you realize. --

The adventurers may decide for themselves how they wish to spend the next three days before the clothing is ready.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"The French authorities must have been investgating the sabotage at the menagerie," says Ines. "Perhaps they might be willing to tell Dr North if they have discovered anything. As Miss Carrow was one of those attacked, your interest would seem natural enough, Doctor."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Henry to the tailor. "I truly appreciate it." After they leave, he replies to Ines. "Yes, an excellent suggestion. I could also examine the mechanisms themselves to perhaps gain some understanding."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"If you will excuse me, while you are investigating this matter I believe I shall take the opportunity to study the mirror of spirits a little in this time," Lila says. "Since Doctor North has picked up a little French you ought to be able to make inquiries as needed." After so many unsuccessful attempts to discover the secrets of the stones at Rochester perhaps a different approach is required to solve the mystery of the Wraith.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The Garde de Paris (which is, if truth be told, an inefficient and easily corruptible body of city guards) has made a cursory investigation into the affair of the Royal Menagerie, dismissing it as an accident. They are much more concerned with the likelihood of civil disorder, given the fact that this year's harvest of grain looks to be poor, which will greatly increase the price of bread. The typical Frenchman of the working class already spends half his meager income on the staff of life. If this were to increase dramatically, food riots are sure to follow.

Upon examination, Doctor North is able to determine that some sort of clockwork mechanism has been attached to the bars of the cages holding the various exotic beasts of the Menagerie. The exact details are impossible to determine, as the vast majority of the works, much like the mass of an iceberg, is hidden from view, located somewhere underneath the cages. It is also easy to see that disarming the mechanism would not be possible without loosing the animals, as the metal bars of the cages have been firmly welded in place with the added structures. How this was accomplished without disturbing the animals or the guards remains a mystery.

Back at the inn, Mister Witherly makes inquiry as to what methods Miss Davenport intends to use in investigating the mystery of the Wraith, and to whether he might be of any assistance.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

While Dr North investigates the nature of the clockwork devices, Ines moves from cage to cage listening for any that are actively ticking - the two that opened did so with no one nearby, meaning it must be possible to set them going some time in advance.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There does not appear to be any sound coming from the devices. It is probable that the first incident was in the nature of a test.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Fiendish and diabolical," says Henry. "It has all the hallmarks of Roterstein's work. The sooner we find him and remove him from circulation, the better."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

At the inn:

"Perhaps there is some way to communicate with the trapped spirit directly," Lila murmurs, peering into the depths of the mirror.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Fiendish and diabolical," says Henry. "It has all the hallmarks of Roterstein's work. The sooner we find him and remove him from circulation, the better."

Ines unconsciously rubs the scar left by the boar's tusk, and replies, "I agree completely."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

At the inn:

"Perhaps there is some way to communicate with the trapped spirit directly," Lila murmurs, peering into the depths of the mirror.
Spoiler:
INT = 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 TI = 13[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport meditates upon the mirror for some time, bringing to bear all her knowledge and experience of the preternatural to bear, but no new strategy for delving into its mysteries comes to mind.

"If I may venture a suggestion," Mister Witherly says hesitantly, "I wonder if it would be of any benefit to perform a variety of experiments upon this strange object, so that some hint of its secrets might be revealed. I hasten to say that I know nothing at all of such things other than what the Church teaches, but drawing inspiration from the manner in which Sir Isaac Newton unveiled so many of Nature's mysteries simply by allowing a sunbeam to penetrate a prism, or by observing falling objects, it seems to me that a similar procedure may be of benefit. Of course, Doctor North would be the expert to consult as to undergo such a process."

Ines and Doctor North return from their investigation of the Menagerie and the party enjoys a restful night. Two more days remain before their new clothing will be ready.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

The next morning, Lila explains Mister Witherly's suggestion regarding the mirror to the others. "It may be a notion worth pursuing though needless to say great care must be taken."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I think scientific inquiry and experimentation is just the thing," says Henry, "so long as we are careful. We can see how the mirror reacts to different kinds of light, see whether objects appear distorted when viewed in the mirror, and in what manner, and so on."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

A series of simple experiments reveals the following facts.

In ordinary light, whether that of Helios or a simple candle, the mirror is absolutely reflective; unlike an ordinary mirror, it does not absorb even the smallest amount of the light that falls upon it. The reflections are not distorted in any way, as would be expected of even the most carefully crafted mirror, which would always have some small flaws.

When a prism is used to separate sunlight into its component colors, something remarkable results. Each color's reflection produces peculiar sensations within the minds of the adventurers. These are vague and difficult to describe, but definitely real, and not merely tricks of the imagination.

Mister Witherly, perhaps due to the famous sensitivity of the clergy, seems particularly strongly effected by this experiment. To the surprise of the others present, he rushes out of the inn to parts unknown. Perhaps one-quarter of an hour or so later, before the adventurers can ready themselves to seek him out, he returns bearing a handful of colored drawing sticks, composed of wax and graphite combined with various pigments, of the kind known to French artists as crayons. No doubt these were obtained from some local merchant. He also carries a large sheet of parchment. With remarkable swiftness, as if in a trance, he produces a strange drawing.

He drops the sheet to the floor. It will be noted that, the curious adventurers surrounding the bizarre object in a circle, that Miss Carrow stands near the White section (its yellowish shade due to the inherent color of the parchment); Doctor North stands near the Blue; Ines near the Green; Miss Davenport near the Red; and the Black section near the unattended mirror.

When he recovers from his extraordinary mental state, Mister Witherly is unable to explain the drawing, simply stating that he felt some compulsion to produce it.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Have you recovered yourself, Mr Witherly?" asks Ines, fetching some water.

Regarding the drawing, she will think back, trying to determine if the words in the green section of the circle evoke the feelings light stirred in her. "Are these words meant to describe us?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”