Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Rooter »

Outside:

"If Ines is unable to coerce the information we need from him then we may have to resort to intimidation," Lila observes to Doctor North out of earshot. "Perhaps he will not be so eager to receive pain as to give it."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

"My Lord, this is like magic," exclaims Ines.
OOC:   Who else among the adventurers speaks Spanish?  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry nods, examining the door and the metal plate as he listens. While he is sure that Ivan could break it down, he would rather not risk setting off a trap. If there is some way he can use the existing mechanism to open the door, he would prefer to do it that way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote:Image

"My Lord, this is like magic," exclaims Ines.
Spoiler:
OOC:   Who else among the adventurers speaks Spanish?  
Spoiler:
It has not yet been established that anyone else here is familiar with that language. Miss Davenport is fluent in French, Doctor North in German and Latin. Ivan, of course, knows Russian. It doesn't seem likely that Miss Carrow would have picked up Spanish, but maybe Mister Witherly might. INT = 9[dice]0[/dice]

It would seem he knows something of that tongue, no doubt from wanderings in the wilds of Iberia,
but he is not present at this time.
--Superstitious nonsense! It is merely a matter of stimulating the flow of animal magnetism. Allow me to demonstrate. --

He presses the sharp end of the pin into her palm gently. Although it does not even break the skin, it produces a extraordinary amount of pain, far beyond what one would expect. When it is withdrawn, it can be seen that there has not been any damage done to the flesh; yet a dull ache remains.

-- You see? Harmless amusement for those of us with elevated tastes. Shall we continue? --

He gestures at a large pile of coins upon the table.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Henry nods, examining the door and the metal plate as he listens. While he is sure that Ivan could break it down, he would rather not risk setting off a trap. If there is some way he can use the existing mechanism to open the door, he would prefer to do it that way.
Upon examination it can be seen that a strange pattern of swirling lines is etched upon the plate. Doctor North is able to deduce that it is intended to resemble the marks which Nature has inscribed upon hands and fingers of her human creatures.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Those without will probably hear Ines let out an exclamation of pain. "Does this help the cause, somehow, My Lord?" she asks. Trying to steel herself, she leaves her hand where it is.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

-- Ah, but what cause is there but the pursuit of sensation? --

As if to demonstrate this philosophy, he scratches his own hand with the pin. A thin trail of blood trickles between his bony fingers. He closes his eyes and shivers as if in a state of rapture.

Simultaneously, Ines experiences a brief, sudden moment of blissful ecstasy, such as is reputed to be known by eaters of opium.

-- You see? Shall we continue? --

With that he withdraws a surgical scalpel.

-- I trust you are not fearful of scars? They may be placed in areas not evident to the public eye, lest they spoil your beauty. --
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"The cause of freedom for all in the city, My Lord," says Ines, injecting a plea into her voice (which in the face of that scalpel takes little acting on the Gypsy girl's part). "You gave me a weapon."

Ines is not willing to let him cut her with the blade, not after after how much a pinprick hurt - should he ignore her words and try, she will defend herself.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Marveling at the cleverness of this invention, Henry examines the vial that Roterstein had issued him to see if it holds the same pattern from when he had handled it, being careful not to smudge it. Glass is a good surface for retaining such a pattern, and perhaps he can use it to open the door when the time comes.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

"The cause of freedom for all in the city, My Lord," says Ines, injecting a plea into her voice (which in the face of that scalpel takes little acting on the Gypsy girl's part). "You gave me a weapon."

Ines is not willing to let him cut her with the blade, not after after how much a pinprick hurt - should he ignore her words and try, she will defend herself.
-- Bah! Child's play. What care I which fool wears the crown? I allow a madwoman to finance my experiments in return for supplying trinkets for her comedy. Let us not speak of that. --

As he raises the scalpel he is distracted by a sound at the door . . .
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Marveling at the cleverness of this invention, Henry examines the vial that Roterstein had issued him to see if it holds the same pattern from when he had handled it, being careful not to smudge it. Glass is a good surface for retaining such a pattern, and perhaps he can use it to open the door when the time comes.
Spoiler:
Allow your Presenter to remark that this is a brilliant idea.
Having cleverly deduced that the metal plate, in some unknown manner, acts as a lock, the key for which is the pattern upon its creator's flesh, the vial is applied to the device. This serves to open the door. The man within is startled by the arrival of unexpected guests.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines begins to say something else, but the opening door renders her words moot. Instead she stands and endeavours to move quickly out of range of the scalpel (given the effects of the liquid so far, she is expecting the movement to hurt).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I hope you'll pardon the intrusion, Dr. Roterstein," says Henry, "but I had to meet you, considering your unique mind. I must say the lock on your door is ingenious - though not without its flaws."
OOC,Thank you! :)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Obviously startled by this sudden intrusion, Roterstein (for there can no longer be any doubt as to the identity of the fellow) attempts to maintain an appearance of calm, although signs of apprehension -- a slight tremor of the fingers, an increase in the rate of respiration -- betray an ill-disguised nervousness.

"A dramatic entrance, sir," he says. "Perhaps you have been upon the stage? I fear that you have the advantage over me, as I am not acquainted with you, or your companions."

(It will not have escaped the notice of the adventurers that Roterstein evidently is entirely unaware that he has met each of them before; a most peculiar lapse, given his uncanny ability to speak to each in his or her native tongue.)

After briefly addressing Ivan in Russian, clearly aware of his status as a servant and therefore one to whom effusive greetings are not appropriate, he turns to Miss Davenport.

"Ah, and could I be more charmed? No, I could not. I see that you bear a most delightful mark upon your cheek, which adorns your face in a far more thrilling manner than those so-called 'beauty marks' applied by the more foolish members of the fairer sex."

In a moment he seems to be calmer, and directs his remarks to all.

"Come and share some of this excellent elixir, and tell me to what I owe this unforeseen encounter."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines shakes her head firmly at the rest of the company in response to that last suggestion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry strides inside, Ivan close behind him, though he does not touch the elixir. "I am sure you would like to know how I was able to defeat your lock," says Henry. "Such information would be invaluable to you, so that you could prevent someone less civilised than I from gaining entry to your residence. Likewise, there are things you know that I would like to learn. I propose a meeting of the minds, an exchange of information, one man of science to another."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rotenstein is obviously interested.

"Very well, my anonymous friend. What can you offer me in exchange for the secret of your uninvited entry?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There are a number of things I would like to know," says Henry. "There is one that interests me. In Notre Dame Cathedral, there was a woman upon whom you had experimented. You rendered her skin temporarily malleable and reshaped her face to remove her facial features. I would like to learn the secret of how you made her flesh malleable. I would also like to know where your patroness may be found."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Roterstein shrugs.

"As for the current whereabouts of that useful lunatic, I know not, nor do I care. My part in that business is done with. As for the other inquiry, well, the Cataplasm of Proteus is one of my finest creations, if I may be so immodest as to remark myself. What, I make bold to ask, would you offer in return for its secrets?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If the secret of how I was able to open your door is insufficient," says Henry, "I could share with you the secret of one of my own inventions, the Cauteriser. It is a device that can bring the mortally wounded back from the very brink of Death."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”