Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Chapter the Ninth: Paris; Or, City of Light, City of Darkness

After a long and exhausting journey in a coach carrying twice as many passengers than the number for which it was designed, the adventurers arrive on the outskirts of Paris. The French metropolis cannot compare in size with London, that greatest of all cities, but it is unquestionably the Jewel of the Continent, before which all other inhabitations outside Britain pale. During the past few years great efforts have been made to improve the appearance of what was, if truth be told, an unattractive and chaotic place. Now there are great monuments to the genius of architecture to be seen everywhere; there are even some streets with sidewalks, a modern innovation which promises a degree of cleanliness not often seen in large congregations of humanity. Although it cannot be denied that, as with any great populace, there is evidence of extraordinary poverty and misery among the common folk, there is also much gaiety and splendor among those of a higher social class. It is well to remember that the hierarchy of Paris is stricter than that of London, as described by the noted man of letters Louis-Sebastien Mercier:
There are in Paris eight distinct classes; the princes and great nobles (these are the least numerous); the Nobles of the Robe; the financiers; the traders and merchants; the artists; the craftsmen; the manual workers; the servants; and the bas peuple.
(Of course, one must recall that Monsieur Mercier is also the author of that fantastic work L'an 2440, in which he dares to imagine what the city might be like in futurity.)

In any event, the party is tired and in want of sustenance. Fortunately, they soon find one of the new establishments which, unlike the usual taverns, offer private tables and written descriptions of the fare available. Known as a restaurant, this innovative dining experience is sure to offer a welcome respite from the travails experienced by the adventurers. The evident high breeding of Doctor North, the sober appearance of Mister Witherly, and the beauty of the ladies is enough to win entrance to the restaurant, despite the somewhat road-worn appearance of the party.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by SunlessNick »

The company (in the Salon thread) had hit upon the plan of visiting the LaMont estate before Paris itself. The letter entrusted to Ines is not urgent, but should prove relatively quick to deal with, whether the mission ends in success or failure - both the family and the servants might also provide news of recent events in the city. In regard to that mission however, Ines will suggest that almost anyone else may be more likely to get a reception than herself.

She won't directly suggest this, but the present writer feels that the self-evident intelligence of Dr North and resonant virtue of Miss Carrow seem best placed to win the family over, especially as they themselves provide an example of the value and power of love.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would be pleased to make the approach," offers Henry. "They are likely to respect one of the nobility."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"I should be pleased to act as interpreter if the Chevalier LaMont's family are unfamiliar with the English tongue," Lila puts in, studying the list of the restaurant's available fare. "Of course, if we are to remain in Paris for any length of time we must also secure appropriate lodgings."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Seated in the restaurant, Elizabeth read the "written descriptions of the fare" eagerly. She was famished, as well as thoroughly tired of the cramped coach and so delighted to be anywhere else. "Mmmm, what shall I choose?"
"Of course, if we are to remain in Paris for any length of time we must also secure appropriate lodgings."
"Of course--someplace suitable for ladies. I wonder if we can lodge with a respectable acquaintance?"
OOC:   Chevalier LaMont and Dupont, what's their connection?  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Tabs:
Spoiler:
OOC:   I believe DuPont is a typo and we are referring to the same person. This is the quote from the last chapter when Ines was given the letter:
She takes a sheet of paper, much folded and worn, from a small bag holding her meager possessions. It appears to be a letter, written in a crabbed hand, the letters much faded. A wax seal is appended.

"I cannot read this myself," the woman says with a sad smile, "but I am assured that it confirms the paternity of my unborn child." He sits up a bit straighter. "I carry the heir of the Chevalier LaMont. If this letter, bearing the seal of the Cheavlier -- now, alas, departed from this world before he could see his child born! -- were to be conveyed to his family, I have no doubt that they would accept me as Pierre's bride in all but the eyes of the Church and State. I had abandoned all hope of carrying it myself, fallen as I have upon hard times. But if you, my new and only friend, were to place it within your care, in the hopes that it would reach its destination, all the angels of Heaven would bless you!"

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Re DuPont/LaMont:
Spoiler:
Mea culpa, that was indeed my misremembering. I've edited my previous post to correct it.

Ines finds the atmosphere of this "restaurant" quite unusual. She is used to eating in places where she might earn her dinner by performing a song or dance, but it is obvious that such a thing would be unwelcome here. Being unable to read, she will need someone's assitance with the descriptions of the food - once she has some idea of what is on offer, she will choose something simple and cheap (as weak as she is feeling from her injuries, she will pick at her food, but probaly end up eating a fair amount of it).
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party is able to enjoy a fine meal of bouillon of veal prepared with white wine and mushrooms, followed by fresh steamed shellfish and a light dessert of green grapes. There is, of course, wine served with the victuals, in the French manner. Their conversation revolves around plans to make the journey to the LaMont estate, located between Paris and Versailles. Due to the lateness of the hour it will be necessary to make plans for the evening before setting out in that direction, although it is near enough to reach on horseback in two or three hours.

A thought occurs to Mister Witherly, who is by now somewhat recovered from his ordeal.

"From what you have told me of the deranged Violette DuPray," he says, "it seems entirely improbable that she would have sufficient knowledge of Natural Philosophy to construct the terrible device which was used upon my poor wife. Whence could such a thing have come?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Only from the mind of a mad genius," says Henry. "It would take someone of my intelligence and skills, but without my kind disposition. There can't be too many capable of creating such a diabolical machine. It would be worthwhile for me to make inquiries, though I would need Miss Davenport to translate - and I would need to translate the scientific jargon for her. Your assistance in translating when we visit the LaMonts is also most welcome."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines has a sudden thought. "That healing machine of yours, Dr North, the... Cauteriser?" (she pronounces the term hesitantly but correctly). "How difficult would it be for you to instruct me in its use? Or even another in this company? It seems like it would be difficult. Yet the soldier was confident in the use of that device. To impart such knowledge, that must be a skill too, yes? One the creator of the device might also be known for?"
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Elizabeth slid an oyster from its shell into her mouth, trying not to slurp too much; she followed it up with a grape, "Oh yum!" she couldn't help but exclaim, and then looked round at the others to catch any disapproving glances--she was English and a little self-conscious.

She wondered aloud to Ines and Henry: "Some kind of scientific club, society, or thing, may have contact with whoever created the diabolical device--the Paris university could help...?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

At the conclusion of the meal a member of the staff of the restaurant discretely arranges for payment.

-- It is impossible for one not to perceive that you are English, Mademoiselles and Monsieurs, and newly arrived in our beautiful city. May one inquire if one may be of service in making your visit a safe and pleasant experience? --
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Most of us are English, yes," says Henry, paying for the meal out of his own ample funds with a generous tip and suspending his conversation with his friends until the restaurant employee is out of earshot. "Thank you. We do require lodgings. Might you recommend somewhere we could stay?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Clearly impressed by the largess of the English milord, the server attends carefully as his words are translated by Miss Davenport.

-- May I suggest an establishment located at 56 Rue Jacob? It is located not far from the British Embassy, as well as a short walk from the lovely banks of the Seine and the Île de la Cité, where is found the great Cathedral of Our Lady. It is also not terribly distant from the Collège de Sorbonne; one could not help but overhear that you have an interest in the University, and that is its theological department. With your permission, I shall arrange for everything. May I offer you some coffee and perhaps some brandy while I take care of this matter? --
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, my good man," says Henry, "that would be superb."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila laces her coffee with a generous amount of brandy.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

"Sorbonne," repeated Elizabeth, "that sounds like just the place."

She watched Lila, then announced to the garçon: "I'll have what she's having."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

-- Very good, Mademoiselle. --

When the après-dinner beverages have been consumed, the server inquires if the gentlemen would care to remain and enjoy fine cigars while the ladies withdraw to a separate area, where they may engage in conversation with other members of the fairer sex. Whether this suggestion is accepted or not, a coach will arrive after a short amount of time to convey the party to their lodging.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Feeling it prudent to conform with Paris society and not much caring for cigar smoke, Lila rises to withdraw, curtsying to the gentlemen and nodding to Elizabeth and Ines. She wonders if any gossip concerning the activities of Violette DuPray may have reached the ears of the city ladies.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will accompany the ladies, but will ramain to one side, aware that her presence would be a detriment to Miss Davenport and Miss Carrow engaging in conversation. Instead, she watches the room, seeing if anyone's interest in her friends seems sinister.

(Incidentally, this is probably the first time Ines will have tried coffee - she enjoys the flavour immensely, though it took a few sips to get used to drinking so hot a beverage).

Return to “Ghastly Affair”