Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

After a bit of wandering, Doctor North and Miss Carrow (along with their loyal companions, Ivan and Lucky) are able to find a salon of English expatriates. They are of an artistic, literary, and scholarly nature, having sought intellectual enlightenment in the French capital. They are amused by the little vixen and charmed by the lady, who serve as a fine way to (as Samuel Butler phrased it in his famous satiric poem Hudibras) "break the ice" which always serves as an obstacle between those who have not been properly introduced.

After some light conversation, a young poet remarks "And which of the Muses leads you here to her temple, my Lord? Urania, perhaps? Or," with a nod to Miss Carrow, "are you a worshipper of Erato?"

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"I will be by your side as long as you wish," Mister Witherly replies. He and Miss Davenport make discreet inquiries of the sellers of food. Most plead ignorance, but a few (whose tongues have been loosened by more coins than would be strictly required for the provisions purchased) admit that a woman in armor has sometimes been seen being transported in a small boat back and forth between the Quartier Latin and the Île de la Cité under cover of darkness. One volunteers more information in a hurried whisper.

-- The Maid has come again to save France from tyranny! I say no more. --

The pair move on to a bookseller who has a number of volumes in English among his stock.

"A good day to you, my friends from across the sea," he says. "I have here a fine translation of Candide. It is most amusing! Or is there something else I can find for you? Poetry, history, philosophy?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Urania is the muse that guides me, yes," says Henry, "for I am a scientist and an inventor, as well as a doctor. Although, in another sense Miss Carrow here is my muse. She inspires me in a way that none other can."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will try listening to the prostitutes until she finds some who seem to speak English or Spanish. If she does, she will try to engage them in conversation, as her aspect and manner of dress should make it possible to pass herself as one of them.
If successful,She will relate a story about a "German or something," who said he was a scientist, but left her with a very frightening feelings. The other girls should be careful if they run into him.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

The Île de la Cité, Lila thinks. Where the Cathedral of Our Lady stands.

"Do you perhaps have any volumes of history concerning ancient sites in the south-east of England?" she asks the bookseller, partly as she feels it prudent to at least make a purchase if she is to ask for his help, partly as another attempt at solving the riddle of Rochester and the Wraith. "Also, I would suppose that you meet a goodly amount of interesting and creative individuals as customers of your shop, sir. I wonder if you may know of any connection between the Île de la Cité and those of a, shall we say, liberal compulsion?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Urania is the muse that guides me, yes," says Henry, "for I am a scientist and an inventor, as well as a doctor. Although, in another sense Miss Carrow here is my muse. She inspires me in a way that none other can."
There are murmurs of approval from those present. "Prettily said, sir," replies one young man. "I may say that your evident courtesy and gentleness of manner do you much credit. Not so for another man of science who attempted to participate in our modest discussions some time ago." He turns to another. "What was that blasted fellow's name?"

"Redstone," the other answers.

"Oh, yes. I recall now. Unpleasant chap. I trust your own researches are of a more humane nature than his mad schemes!"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image

Ines will try listening to the prostitutes until she finds some who seem to speak English or Spanish. If she does, she will try to engage them in conversation, as her aspect and manner of dress should make it possible to pass herself as one of them.
If successful,She will relate a story about a "German or something," who said he was a scientist, but left her with a very frightening feelings. The other girls should be careful if they run into him.
After some time amongst the demimondaines (and after turning aside a few propositions), Ines comes across a pair conversing in Spanish. After some questioning, it turns out that an unpleasant man who called himself Piedraroja attempted to find a woman willing to have her capacity to bear pain tested. He was willing to pay a great deal, but they refused him.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

The Île de la Cité, Lila thinks. Where the Cathedral of Our Lady stands.

"Do you perhaps have any volumes of history concerning ancient sites in the south-east of England?" she asks the bookseller, partly as she feels it prudent to at least make a purchase if she is to ask for his help, partly as another attempt at solving the riddle of Rochester and the Wraith. "Also, I would suppose that you meet a goodly amount of interesting and creative individuals as customers of your shop, sir. I wonder if you may know of any connection between the Île de la Cité and those of a, shall we say, liberal compulsion?"
"Hmm," the booksellers muses. "Let me see."

He searches through his stock.
Spoiler:
INT = 9 + 3 for profession = 12[dice]0[/dice]
"I have here a very fine treatise on Stonehenge," he says at last. "However, if my knowledge of your pleasant island does not fail me, that is not the exact location in which you are particularly interested. Would that be satisfactory? As to the other matter you mention, it is said that certain elements of society dissatisfied with the current state of affairs meet well after midnight somewhere near the Cathedral. This is mere hearsay, to be sure."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:After some questioning, it turns out that an unpleasant man who called himself Piedraroja attempted to find a woman willing to have her capacity to bear pain tested. He was willing to pay a great deal, but they refused him.
Do they know where this happened?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Victoria Silverwolf wrote:After some questioning, it turns out that an unpleasant man who called himself Piedraroja attempted to find a woman willing to have her capacity to bear pain tested. He was willing to pay a great deal, but they refused him.
Do they know where this happened?
-- Why, here in the Palais-Royal, of course, late one night. --

-- Now we only work during the day. One encounters a better class of clientele under the light of the sun, although perhaps not so many as under the stars, -- adds the other.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:-- Why, here in the Palais-Royal, of course, late one night. --

-- Now we only work during the day. One encounters a better class of clientele under the light of the sun, although perhaps not so many as under the stars, -- adds the other.

Ines thanks them, not least for the relief of finding someone speaking a familiar language, and purchases a pastry for each of them (and for herself). After that, she will venture in search of the others. If Roterstein is seeking out women to test in this way, the company may be able to lay a trap for him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for the warm welcome," says Henry, realizing that Redstone is the English equivalent of Roterstein. "I am a physician, and my inventions are designed to preserve life. I've heard of this disreputable fellow before. His inventions not only are made to kill, but they do so in gruesome ways. Can you please describe Redstone, and do you know where he might be found? I'd like to give him a piece of my mind."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila purchases the Candide as a gift for Mister Witherly -- perhaps it will provide an amusing distraction for him in his bereavement -- and thanks the bookseller before heading toward the salon to rejoin the others.

It seems a visit to the the Île de la Cité and the great Cathedral may shortly be in order, however for tonight there is the matter of the captive at the LaMont estate to attend to.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The ladies of easy virtue are appreciative for the unexpected treat, and continue to chatter away with Ines like schoolgirls.

-- If you should ever wish to join our little sisterhood, we can show you a few tricks of the trade. --

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A gentleman of artistic temperament attempts to paint a portrait in words of Redstone.

"He is a man of uncertain age; although his face is smooth and without blemish, like a young boy, the few hairs upon his large and round head are of a dirty gray color, and hang nearly down into his eyes. Those eyes! Enormous, deeply set, and of a peculiar milky shade, as if they were opals sunk into the earth. His skin is sallow, as if he suffers from a mild form of jaundice. He is very tall, and tends to walk with his head forward and his back bent, like a vulture. His voice is soft and he speaks with a slight lisp, as if a serpent were to be given voice. His clothing is simple, dark in color, and scrupulously clean; I have sometimes seen him pluck away a few stray strands from his coat while describing some horror or other. As to where he might be found, I can only hope that he is as far away as the Antipodes!"

There is general agreement with this sentiment.

Mister Witherly accepts the gift of the book gratefully, taking hold of Miss Davenport's hand for a moment.

"There is so little kindness in this world." He withdraws the pencil he always keeps about his person, ready to sketch an interesting scene. "Might I request the very great favor of having you inscribe some simple message upon this slim volume, that it might always remind me of you?"

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The adventurers make their various ways back to the inn, where they are able to rest themselves and share what information they possess, as they make plans for tonight's excursion.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Between the description Dr North secured of Roterstein and the stories told by the prostitutes, Ines has a suggestion that if the company's other leads do not locate him, she would be able to present herself as the kind of woman he is preying upon - the others could keep watch, and either apprehend him on the spot, or follow when he takes Ines to his lair.

But that must wait for the moment. As for the LaMont estate, Ines will suggest waiting until an hour or two past midnight before attempting to break back in. "The Chevalière may anticipate our return and have Henri on watch. The delay will give him time to get tired, bored, or careless."
Last edited by SunlessNick on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Somewhat flushed, Lila writes: To my dear George, a reminder that light may be found in darkness. With affection,--Lila

Later, she agrees with Ines' suggestion. "We may find ourselves relying upon Ivan's strength to break into the cell."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, it is a good plan," says Henry to Ines. "It is courageous of you to act as bait if we can't find Roterstein another way. I hope it does not come to that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines smiles at the compliment. "I confess I hope so too. But their lives are dangerous enough, and it would have taken only a little more ill fortune for it to be my life also. If he is using them in his evil experiments, he must be stopped however we can, even if he were not involved with Violette DuPray."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

The bold adventurers agree to make their journey back to the LaMont chateau in the small hours of the night. Taking care to be well-rested, they sleep the afternoon away. The same coachman as before, who asks no questions, conveys them and their equipment to an area not far from the estate. They make their way to the chateau on foot, by the dim light of a single lantern. The coachman has agreed to expect them back not long after dawn; if they have not arrived by then, he is to make his way back to Paris.

As the party arrives at the chateau all seems quiet. There is sufficient moonlight to enable them to approach in whatever manner they see fit.
Spoiler:
Please indicate whether or not you wish to have Miss Carrow and Lucky present. I presume all others are here.
Please also make plans for how you wish to attempt to enter, or otherwise deal with the situation. It would also be helpful to know if you are conveying any particular equipment other than the usual, within reason.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"The cell is in a niche in a remote and disused part of the building," Lila recalls. "Given the general condition of ill-repair perhaps we will find a side door or cellar entrance which can be more easily breached."

She has brought a spare cloak for the captive man and a hammer and chisel which may be used to break his shackles, given to Ivan.

"Or perhaps we should rouse the servant Henri and I shall poke him with my dagger to make him open the cell for us," she adds darkly.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Out of character regarding Miss Carrow,The way Priest played her, it seems to me she would want to come unless specifically asked not to. It wouldn't be Ines's place to do that, even if she wanted to.

Ines cannot think of anything else to bring for the imprisoned man that Miss Davenport has not already done. She will make sure to have her brass knuckles handy, though. Do any of the company possess a crowbar?

Return to “Ghastly Affair”