Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

-- Very well. I am Dubh; remember it well. --
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by SunlessNick »

"I shall," says Ines. At that point, she tries to flex whatever corner of her spirit it requires to leave the mirror, visualising the green woman as she does so.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

With the speed of thought Ines emerges from the mirror, which loses it green color and returns to its normal condition.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines takes a few very deep breaths, as the tension drains out of her. To Miss Davenport, she says, "His name was Dubh. He was a priest, he said, long before Christ. He worshipped at the stones, until his people abandoned those ways. He came to hate them and swore revenge after his death." Then she adds, "There were so many in there. I could not count them. As if the mirror were a Hell all its own."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Perhaps because it is well known amongst supernaturalists that names possess great power, this information seems to restore Miss Davenport's spirits.
Spoiler:
Restored to Level Two
This strange encounter having taken some time, the adventurers are fatigued and enjoy a night of undisturbed sleep.

There is another day to be spent as desired until the clothing will be ready.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is there any further research or experimentation we can do?" asks Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"With regard to the mirror it may be prudent to seek a means of destroying it to prevent such malignant spirits from ever finding a path back to this world. I cannot think of any hands in which it might be deemed truly safe to leave. Though this may require further research into the nature of this unusual object rather than simply melting it down. But the chemical properties of substances are your area of knowledge, doctor." Lila peruses her reference book on demonology for any information on the handling of such objects.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Is there any further research or experimentation we can do?" asks Henry.
"If you will pardon the simple and naive observations of a layman," Mister Witherly remarks, "perhaps it would be helpful to perform further experiments involving colored light. The extraordinary excursion of Ines -- if it not be only a shared dream ! -- appears to indicate that entering the mirror under the influence of such does not harm the one who journeys therein."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

"With regard to the mirror it may be prudent to seek a means of destroying it to prevent such malignant spirits from ever finding a path back to this world. I cannot think of any hands in which it might be deemed truly safe to leave. Though this may require further research into the nature of this unusual object rather than simply melting it down. But the chemical properties of substances are your area of knowledge, doctor." Lila peruses her reference book on demonology for any information on the handling of such objects.
Spoiler:
INT = 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 TI = 13[dice]0[/dice]
From some cryptic remarks made by an Italian mystic some centuries ago, Miss Davenport is able to determine that all natural means of destroying the mirror will release the spirits held in durance within. There is a suggestion, not entirely clear, that perfect white light, of a purity far greater than sunlight, will have the effect of eliminating all evil inside the mirror, but how this is to be obtained is unexplained.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila shares what she has learned with the others.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Mr. Rachman might have been able to generate such a light," says Henry. "Perhaps given time I could come up with a device that would amplify and focus light, making it purer."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Miss Carrow, you are evidently formed of the white portion of the circle. Do you have any suggestions?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Mr. Rachman might have been able to generate such a light," says Henry. "Perhaps given time I could come up with a device that would amplify and focus light, making it purer."

"An intriguing idea, sir," Mister Witherly remarks. "Do you have any notion how such an effect might be achieved?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

"Miss Carrow, you are evidently formed of the white portion of the circle. Do you have any suggestions?"
With a slight blush, she answers modestly "This is all too strange for me, I'm afraid. But are not angels said to be made of the pure light of Heaven? Perhaps if I were to pray for a miracle . . ."
Spoiler:
If I roll a 20 . . . [dice]0[/dice]
Despite the obvious sincerity of the young lady's pious orisons, there is no apparent answer from Providence, unless it be a Divine response unperceived by mortal senses.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"My own venture succeeded because I was guided by all of you," says Ines. "I chose questions I could imagine you asking, each in turn. Though I confess I do not quite see a way to apply that principle to this question." She looks at the diagram again, before asking, "Am I correct in thinking that words to the red part of the circle are upside down when compared to the others?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is evident that this is an accurate observation; but what its significance might be is unclear.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I imagine I'd need to use a collection of mirrors and lenses to direct and amplify the light," says Henry. "Shining it through a diamond could be helpful. I'd need to experiment, and that won't be done overnight, but it is something to bear in mind for the future."
OOC,Would a Level 1 Mad Invention with the Light effect suffice?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I imagine I'd need to use a collection of mirrors and lenses to direct and amplify the light," says Henry. "Shining it through a diamond could be helpful. I'd need to experiment, and that won't be done overnight, but it is something to bear in mind for the future."
OOC,Would a Level 1 Mad Invention with the Light effect suffice?
Spoiler:
That sounds reasonable to me.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The remainder of the day is spent in discussion of these interesting matters, and the adventurers enjoy a much-deserved peaceful night of rest. The tailor completes his work as promised, and the clothes are ready. The party is free to plan how they will make their venture to the cathedral.
Spoiler:
As autumn advances, weather will play a factor. As a note of historical interest, 1788 was a particularly bad year for France, with a devastating hailstorm in summer which destroyed many crops,
and a particularly severe winter. More information here:

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... -1788.html

For now I will let chance decide if there is inclement weather.

1-50 = cool and cloudy
51-75 = cold and clear
75-100 = rain
[dice]0[/dice]
The next several evenings promise to be fairly comfortable for this time of year, with a partial moon providing enough light through the clouds to allow one to walk without bumping into large objects, but some form of artificial illumination will be required to do anything more than that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We may want to split up into separate groups," suggests Henry. "That would be less suspicious than all of us going together. We'll need sources of light, torches or lanterns. My Illuminator is not yet complete."
OOC,I think I can only create a new Mad Invention when I gain a level.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”