Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

"Hmmm. That sounds like something which could be adapted into a more amusing purpose. If you would allow me to examine it?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If I may examine the Cataplasm of Proteus," says Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"To be sure. I have a supply at a convenient location within the Cathedral. Away from prying eyes, you understand. If you will all accompany me?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Of course," says Henry. "Please, lead the way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

If there is to be travel elsewhere, Ines will begin walking a litle gingerly, not sure if the movement will hurt. And be watchful - while Roterstein has not so far seemed one for precautions, he may be leading the company into a trap.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila follows in pensive silence.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party proceeds through the cold, dark streets, back to the Cathedral.
Spoiler:
Checking for weather (making up my own system; as the severe winter of 1788 goes on, greater chances of bad weather.

1-25 = snow
26-50 = freezing rain
51-75 = rain
76-99 = clear
100 = special weather event to be determined by Presenter.
[dice]0[/dice]
The party bundles themselves up against a moderate but chilling rain as they walk.

Ines will notice that the cold seems far more intense than what the others appear to be experiencing. What little light is provided by the moon penetrating the clouds is much brighter that she would expect; an experience not shared by her companions, who occasionally rely on her to lead the way. Roterstein would appear not to have any trouble navigating in the darkness.

At last they reach the hidden room within the Cathedral. Their host finds his way without trouble to a corner of the room where a small fireplace is located. After some effort, he starts a fire. The room is dimly lit, save to the eyes of Ines, to whom it appears as bright as a ballroom equipped with multiple chandeliers.

"Forgive this disturbance," Roterstein says, indicating the destroyed equipment. "I was the target of vandals recently. Drunken idiots who knew not what they did, I presume."

He moves to the trunk containing an array of peculiar objects. Rummaging through it, he pulls out a clay flask, sealed with a cork.

"Within is a sample of the Cataplasm of Proteus. Allow me to demonstrate."

Retreating to a corner of the room, he opens the flask and pours a small amount of the floor.

"This should not take very long. I have left a few scraps of food to attract vermin, finding them useful in my studies."

After a while a mouse emerges from its hiding place and sniffs about for victuals; a sight which is very familiar to all, since nearly all buildings serve to house such creatures. As it accidentally passes through the substance, a transformation takes place. As shrill squeaking noises fill the room, the animal loses all its external features, changing into an gray-brown ball of undistinguished flesh. Its cries of terror cease, but feeble attempts of movement demonstrate that it still lives.

"I trust this provides sufficient evidence for the effectiveness of the cataplasm. As for your own invention?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can see its effectiveness," says Henry. "I am curious how long the flesh remains malleable, if it is possible to reshape it at will while it is in this state, and if the effects are irreversible." He takes the metal rod with the rubber grip from his belt. "This is the Cauteriser. You need to hold it by the grip, as it can get quite hot. The same mouse will do for the demonstration, if it is mortally wounded but not quite dead. You may do the honors in rendering it so, so you can be assured that there is no trickery."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

With a nod of his head Roterstein accepts the Cauteriser, examining it closely.

"Interesting. An ingenious device, to be sure."

He activates the Cauteriser, touching it to the mouse. Almost instantly it is returned to its normal condition, whereupon it rushes off to its hole.

"It would be quite enlightening to determine if the effect could be altered to produce the opposite effect. Death at a single touch! Most useful, indeed. Would you be interested in exchanging formulae?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Precisely what I have in mind," says Henry, "along with answering each other's questions about our respective inventions." He thinks that Roterstein can't use his ideas to do what he proposes, or at least he hopes so, but he needs to learn everything he can about the Cataplasm in order to be able to reverse its effects.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Meanwhile, Ines is hoping this is merely a ruse on Dr North's part. Roterstein is too monstrous to be allowed to go free, even if he holds up his side of the bargain.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Roterstein nods his head. He retrieves a quill, a sheet of parchment, and a pot of ink from the trunk. After a few minutes he presents Doctor North with the sheet. It contains neat, if spidery, handwriting, listing the ingredients necessary to mix a dose of the Cataplasm, along with the manner in which it is to be heated and cooled. The ingredients are a remarkable miscellany of animal, mineral, and vegetable matter, obtainable only after a day or so of hunting through marketplaces.

"I believe you will find this sufficient," he says. "And as for your own device?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry explains the scientific principles behind the Cauteriser and how to construct one, identifying the two chemicals that produce the heat-giving reaction when allowed to mix by activating the lever and describing how to extract them, and he writes down the instructions, which he gives to Roterstein. "The chemical reservoirs will need to be refilled after a few uses," he explains. "The heat is enough to seal even the most grievous of wounds, providing it is applied quickly enough. Now, I have a few more questions about the Cataplasm. How long does the flesh remain malleable, and can it be reshaped at will during this time? Is there any way to reverse its effects?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"The action is nearly instantaneous, as you have witnessed with the little creature we have amused ourselves with. As far as reversing it goes, if for some reason one would wish to do that, a second application would suffice. It would seem a pity, though, after one has produced such a satisfactory effect. Now, is anything else I can do for you and your charming companions?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

"There must be something you can tell us to help us locate and apprehend Violette Dupray," Lila insists. "Perhaps she mentioned something of her intentions in passing. Is she still resident in Paris, indeed?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
wisdom = 9[dice]0[/dice]
"Not that I paid much attention to her ravings -- only to her purse, ha ha -- but it seems to me that she mentioned something about paying a visit to His Majesty and presenting him with what he deserves. Pure nonsense, of course."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you," says Henry, his suspicion that a second application of the Cataplasm could reverse its effects confirmed. He is torn about what to do about Roterstein. While he is an extremely dangerous man, it feels wrong to simply kill him. If only his genius could be turned to good, the world would benefit immensely. "It has been a pleasure dealing with you. You are truly a genius ahead of your time, sir, of the same type as Archimedes or Leonardo da Vinci. There is one idea I would like to put to you. I have noticed how much you love chaos. However, the world tends towards chaos even without intervention. Newton's Second Law of Thermodynamics is proof of this. I find it far more challenging to attempt the opposite, to create order out of chaos - at least on a local level, as it is impossible to do so universally. Your abilities are so superb that adding chaos where chaos already exists poses little difficulty to you. For a true test of your scientific prowess, you might want to consider this. Imagine a world filled with wonders of your own creation, one forever changed by the innovations you create, one that future scientists can use as a foundation to develop even more advanced technologies. There is truly no limit to what could be achieved. Why, even Death itself might one day be vanquished!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Roterstein bows low.

"You flatter me, sir. And yet I cannot entirely agree with your vision. To oppose Death? The great leveler of humanity? As soon would I raise arms against Time Himself, and freeze the world in its current miserable condition! To be without Death is to invite the lower orders to fill the Earth with their enfeebled kind. No, rather would I cast my lot with Death, and arm Him with greater weapons than He has ever wielded. Imagine it, sir. Cities rendered into ossuaries. Entire nations emptied of inferiors. That is a goal worth pursuing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry can imagine it all too well. He had tried to convince Roterstein to change, but clearly the two of them would never agree. "But surely you would wish immortality for yourself?" he says. "It would be a great pity were you to shuffle off this mortal coil before you could accomplish all you desire."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"As for that, I merely expect to be welcomed into that dark kingdom as one who has done his humble best to serve its monarch."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”