Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Chapter the Ninth: Paris

Post by Mr. Handy »

"You are much like your dark master," says Henry. "He too seeks only chaos and destruction, but he is a liar and not to be trusted. He will lead you to destruction as well, and you will not find his dark kingdom a pleasant place. Any of us can perish at any time, perhaps sooner than we think." At this point he realizes that Roterstein is clearly too far gone, and that there will be no turning him away from darkness. He hopes his companions will pick up on this from his talk of Roterstein's death and destruction and take the hint while he keeps the madman distracted. Now that they have all of the information they need, there is no reason to prolong this any longer.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

He hopes his companions will pick up on this from his talk of Roterstein's death and destruction and take the hint while he keeps the madman distracted. Now that they have all of the information they need, there is no reason to prolong this any longer.
OOC:   Intelligence = 9, -3 Dull
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 15  
Ines is expecting this encounter to end in violence, and slips her knuckle-dusters onto her fingers in readiness. But she remains oblivious to Dr North's hints that the time is now. (Let us hope Miss Davenport is more observant)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
INT 11[dice]0[/dice]
Lila notes Ines tensing and detects some warning in Doctor North's words but seeks to avoid further violence. "Sir," she says, stepping forward. "You seem not to care that your inventions are used for nefarious purposes. And, too, you must know that we are aware of who you are and that you are wanted by the authorities. If you do not wish us to detain you in a more forceful manner and to notify the authorities of your whereabouts and activities we would advise you to depart France immediately and no longer aid the growing strife here, nor trouble us."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

With a sardonic bow, Roterstein addresses Miss Davenport.

"As you wish, madam."

With that, he procures a small, round, translucent object from the trunk and tosses it at the ground near his feet. The room is filled with a sudden, silent explosion of bright white light, temporarily blinding those present. By the time sight is restored, Roterstein has vanished via some unseen egress. Most of the contents of the trunk have been removed, evidently in some haste, as what remains is in a disturbed state.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines lets out a word - in Calo, but unmistakably a curse.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"He had already finished aiding Violette DuPray," says Henry, "but in a way this may be for the best. I had been reluctant to kill him and had been hoping to turn his immense genius and talent to the cause of good, but I could see that was not to be. He is still immeasurably dangerous, but at least he will be dangerous somewhere else. At any rate, we already got all the information we need from him. I can assist the victim of the Cataplasm now, in a much better way than I had hoped. If he did not leave the sample behind, I now know how to make more. Let us see what we can salvage, both from the trunk here and from his home. I can easily get us back inside there using the impression from his fingers that he left on the glass vial that he gave me the first time we were here." He carefully looks through the remaining contents of the trunk.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Rummaging among the scattered contents of the trunk, which is now little more than a chaos of unusual bits of equipment and peculiar ingredients, Doctor North discovers a device which appears to be in usable condition.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
It is a small glass vial of golden liquid. Upon opening the little bottle, an extraordinarily delicious aroma emerges from it, as if from a feast prepared by the most renowned royal chefs, accompanied by the finest of vintage wines. There is a tiny note, attached to the vial by some form of mucilage, with Roterstein's handwriting.

Failure. Produces only harmless effect.

Whilst exploring the contents of the trunk, Doctor North's hand narrowly avoids being stung by a needle-like object hidden amongst the objects in the trunk, apparently designed to deter investigation.

There does not appear to be any more of the Cataplasm of Proteus. Following Roterstein's instructions, Doctor North is able to produce a quantity of the substance after a few days. Upon applying it to the countenance of the unfortunate victim, she is restored to a normal condition. She proves to be Marie, an ordinary young woman of a low but respectable class. Questioning reveals the fact that she is unable to recall any of her experiences whilst in the transformed state. Her last memory is of being hired by a man fitting the description of Roterstein as a general servant. After learning something of his true nature from the adventurers, she only wishes to return to her native village, where such things are unheard of.

Meanwhile, a search of Roterstein's room reveals nothing but an irate landlady demanding that rent be paid. Upon learning that the lessor has absconded, she mutters about foreigners, with something of a jaundiced eye cast at the members of the party.
Spoiler:
[dice]1[/dice]
By this time the weather has grown colder, and heavy snow begins to fall. It will be hazardous to journey beyond the reasonable comfortable confines of the inn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I did say I was looking through the trunk "carefully." I knew the contents could be dangerous. Shouldn't I have had a chance to spot the needle?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,I did say I was looking through the trunk "carefully." I knew the contents could be dangerous. Shouldn't I have had a chance to spot the needle?
Spoiler:
A reasonable inquiry.

DEX = 10 + 3 Mechanical Genius = 13[dice]0[/dice]

I will edit the entries above.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It seems obvious that Violette DuPray intends to strike at the King at the Palace of Versailles," says Henry to his companions. "We'll never get there in this weather, but she will be equally snowbound. We'll need to obtain an invitation to the palace so that we can thwart her once the weather improves. As a member of the nobility, albeit a foreign one, I have a good chance of arranging it."
OOC,Thank you. :)
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
Does the effect on Ines of Roterstein's concoction wear off?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Image
Spoiler:
Does the effect on Ines of Roterstein's concoction wear off?
Spoiler:
Yes, in a day or so.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The days go by slowly. The continual snowfall renders them nearly as dark as the nights. There is little to do but remain indoors, away from the elements, braving the outdoors only for vital errands.

The pathetic cries of those without shelter come from outside, begging for the means of sustaining life. There are also voices of anger, crying for bread. One does what one can for such poor souls, but there are so many of them. A glance through the frost-coated window reveals a corpse half-buried under the snow, its arms raised like claws, frozen into an eternal gesture of desperation.

In less than a fortnight the voices grow louder and more enraged. The innkeeper nervously explains that he must keep the door barred at all times, lest those outside force themselves in. Perhaps that will not be enough; hunger seems to be stronger than wood and iron.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to see to the inn's defenses," says Henry. "We can reinforce them by placing wedges beneath the door frame and using a metal bar, not just a wooden one. The mob is likely to make a frontal assault on the door, but they may attempt to gain entry through the windows as well. We will need to reinforce those too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines will help with the modifications to the doors and windows as best she can, though the other adventurers will detect some ambivalence and guilt on her part (after all, she has more in common with the hungry masses outside than most of those within its walls).
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Perhaps we should consider relocating to Versailles for a time," Lila suggests. "We may be better placed to secure an invitation to the palace among the nobles there, besides being removed from Paris' troubled streets."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

These preparations having been made, the days and nights go by slowly. Eventually the innkeeper runs low of supplies for the guests. A break in the weather leads to crystal clear nights. The Milky Way blazes overhead. It is very cold, but with proper precautions it should be possible to make an excursion without.

-- Allow me to offer you a proposition -- the innkeeper says. -- I have a back entrance, through which persons may pass without drawing too much notice. If you would care to make your way a short distance to the shop of my cousin Andre and obtain provisions from him, returning them here, I would allow you to make use of a horse and carriage for your excursion to Versailles. It will be a slow, cramped, and chilly ride, to be sure; but these are harsh times, and one must do what one can. I would go to Andre myself, but as you can see I am not a well man, and the cold might prove fatal. --

Whether there is much of truth to this last statement or not, it is apparent that the innkeeper is fearful not only of the ravages of Nature, but of the desperate souls barely surviving without.

"I shall be pleased to go," states Mister Witherly. It is obvious that being restricted to small quarters has not been healthful for his soul, and that he is anxious to be moving about outdoors. "Who is with me?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am," says Henry, "as is Ivan. He can carry more provisions than any of us, and he is the best at ensuring that nobody else gets their hands on them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines thinks it over, then agrees to go as well.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I shall remain behind with Miss Carrow," Lila says.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”