Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Post by Mr. Handy »

"These stones must have been erected by the Druids in ancient times," says Henry. "Perhaps he sought it out because of the magical reputation of sites such as this one. The markings on that disc were Druidic runes, so it makes sense that it was located here. By my translation, it seems that it may have been intended to cause something to rest here forever, but when it was removed..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Spoiler:
Here's the Presenter's Manual for reference (although I sometimes change things a bit):
https://engineoforacles.files.wordpress ... ee-pdf.pdf
Miss Davenport's arcane volume of Demonology reveals the following facts.
Wraiths are a common but very dangerous kind of Ghost. They are the souls of those who have died
in anger, often as the result of a crime or sudden catastrophe. Now they linger on Earth, consumed with hatred for the living. Their overwhelming desire is to cause death and suffering, so that others
will feel their torment. Although their first object of anger will be those who killed them (or failed
to stop their death), eventually they will begin to attack whoever enters their area they haunt.

The touch of a Wraith seems to carry the essence of Death itself. Those who survive an encounter with a
Wraith seldom fully recover, always feeling like the life has been drained from them.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
Thanks. My assumption was that players should refrain from reading the Presenter's Manual.
Wincing at Doctor North's words, Lila waits until the constable is out of earshot before sharing her suspicions with the rest of the party. "We must leave shortly for Dover," she says. "But I would not leave this malevolent Spirit free. I wonder if the mirror Miss Carrow carries, which was said to be able to trap Spirits, might assist?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines displays no doubt at Miss Davenport's suspicions, adding, "Had I spoken to him last night, there might have been warning of this. Do we then return to the stones tonight or go there by day and wait?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent idea, Miss Davnnport," says Henry. "That mirror may be just the thing. Are wraiths active in the daytime?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

All experts in Demonology agree that Wraiths are invisible and powerless in daylight, neither susceptible to any attempts to dispel them nor able to perform any action upon mortals. It is only at night that they are both vulnerable and dangerous.

Arriving at Dover at a later date would not negate the possibility of crossing the Channel, although it may mean some days delay in waiting for a packet bound for France, should the party decide to remain in Rochester.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I feel duty-bound to remain for this night, even if I must follow the rest of you to France alone at a later time," Lila says. "However, the mirror belongs to Miss Carrow hence the decision should be hers."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I will remain too," says Ines. "I do not know whwther speaking with this man last night might have prevented this, but I cannot leave it be now."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth, who had remained quiet during the previous events, turned a smile towards Lila, "Of course you may use the mirror, if you think it may be of use". She turns back to Henry and clasps his hand in a far from 'just good friends' manner, "I think if Lila is certain that we must tarry here a while, then we must delay our trip to Paris. Though I fear what a delay might mean to Antoine"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

There being general agreement that this crisis requires a return this evening, the adventurers will be free to spend the day making such preparations as they see fit. These may include, but are not limited to, planning a strategy for approach (id est, who shall be at which exact location and with what in hand), conversing with local residents in quest of relevant information, or even napping or engaging in light amusement in order to clear the mind for one's onerous duty.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila peruses her reference volume searching for mention of a silver bell like the one found in the barrow: perhaps it has some connection to the Wraith.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Lila peruses her reference volume searching for mention of a silver bell like the one found in the barrow: perhaps it has some connection to the Wraith.
Spoiler:
Presuming this is done in solitude, so neither the bonus for the True Innocent nor the demerit for Unrequited Love apply: INT = 11 + 1 Demonology = 12[dice]0[/dice]
A paragraph within the book suggests that this is a Bell of Repulsion, said to create a degree of protection from evil to those who hear it ringing; the sole drawback to its use being the fact that whomsoever rings it is incapable of performing any other action, being in a sort of trance during its use.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Armed with this knowledge, Lila confers with the group. "Should you be willing to take part in this dangerous ploy, I propose one of us should have the bell to ring, while one of us wields the mirror. It will be down to the others to protect the bell-ringer from harm. Who will take the bell, and whom the mirror?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I would be most confident to see the mirror in your hands, Miss Davenport," Ines ventures. "It is the weapon of the two items, and you seem to be versed in fighting such beings. I myself, people of my blood, we are often sought out by... perhaps I may serve to distract it from both you and whomever rings the bell."

She pauses before adding, "The story of this man thinking himself a wizard - there may be nothing to it, but he did go to the stones, and on the same night that this wraith awakened. Before nightfall, might it be worth approaching the man who related it, and learning if there was more detail to his claims? And if he had any belongings at all, they would still be at the Six Poor Travellers. One of you would be able to ask, without..." Ines trails off here, but the implication is obvious - any of the rest of the company would be able to inquire without arousing suspicion of the intent to steal anything.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We also have the weapon we found in the chapel in the ruined castle," says Henry. "That too may afford protection against evil spirits, and it too is a weapon. Perhaps Elizabeth should ring the bell," says Henry, squeezing her hand. "She is musically talented, and she can remain focused. I shall stand by to protect her, along with Ivan and others. It is a good idea to find out more while it is still daylight, and looking through the 'wizard''s personal effects may yield some clues, as might asking those who knew him."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed," Lila replies to Doctor North. "But if I am to wield the weapon of which you speak in battle then someone else must hold the mirror to capture the entity once it is weakened. If not Miss Carrow herself then I would offer it to Ines if she is willing. If the enemy is drawn directly toward her as she says then she will have the better opportunity to dispel it."
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth returns the gentle squeeze of the hand and spends a moment gazing lovingly at the handsome doctor, "I am honoured that you think so highly of my poor musical talents. I stand ready to play my part in this endeavour by ringing the bell, confident in the protection of my friends and companions"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines nods to Miss Davenport. "I will."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The adventurers having settled on a strategy, it only remains to decide who shall make inquiries at the Six Poor Travellers House, and what will be asked of the keeper of said establishment, or those persons sheltered therein. It will be a simple matter to discover the general nature of the indigents currently lodging there.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
In fact, the House is quite full. In addition to the young woman and the man previously encountered by Ines, there are four others. The innkeeper of the Cooper Arms believes them to be pilgrims of a sort, bound for Canterbury from the North. He does not possess more information than this.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How fitting," remarks Henry. "There are six poor travelers at the Six Poor Travellers House. Perhaps we should split up and speak to different people I shall approach the innkeeper, mention that I examined the deceased's body on behalf of the constable, and ask to view his personal effects, if any."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”