Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Post by Rooter »

While the doctor is ensconced with the clerics, Lila, still troubled by the encounter with the Wraith, makes use of the cathedral's library. Perhaps some tome of regional history will hold mention of the standing stones at Rochester.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Wruter wrote:Image

While the doctor is ensconced with the clerics, Lila, still troubled by the encounter with the Wraith, makes use of the cathedral's library. Perhaps some tome of regional history will hold mention of the standing stones at Rochester.
Spoiler:
INT = 11; Demonology skill not relevant here since this is historical research, not supernatural.[dice]0[/dice]
There does not appear to be any relevant information regarding this ancient artifact. A clerk of antiquarian bent suggests that, given the great age of such monuments, it might be possible to learn something about them from (stated in a low whisper) the volumes maintained by the Vatican, if the lady ever happens to be at that hotbed of Papacy. That, of course, is a matter for another time.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
Might the library of the British Museum be another possibility?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"First, we need to explain that we have sought out His Grace because of his wisdom in theological matters and the importance of the question," says Henry to the three students. "I'll need to know more about the issue before I go in to the interview. Can you please explain the controversy to me, as a layman?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:
Spoiler:
Might the library of the British Museum be another possibility?
Spoiler:
Possibly; which require another visit to London at some time in the future.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"First, we need to explain that we have sought out His Grace because of his wisdom in theological matters and the importance of the question," says Henry to the three students. "I'll need to know more about the issue before I go in to the interview. Can you please explain the controversy to me, as a layman?"
After much discussion, the contention may be briefly summarized thus.

The primary cause of disdain for John Wesley and the Methodists lies in the fact that they have taken it upon themselves to name as preachers persons not ordained by the Church of England, with power to administer the Sacraments; even going so far to have preachers of the female sex.

The late David Hume (although that gentleman kept his exact religious opinions to himself, perhaps wisely) is associated with Deism; a philosophy of religion based entirely on reason and observation, denying the validity of miracles.

Both systems of belief have found fertile soil in the American colonies, due in no small part to the flight from that rebellious land of many of the clergy of the established Church.

The three students seek to understand to what degree these Nonconformists should be tolerated or prosecuted.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That is an excellent question," says Henry. "You were right to seek out the answer. I can understand where both factions are coming from, though their views are of course flawed. I do recall that centuries ago, there was a debate about whether heretics could administer sacraments. This was before the Reformation, of course, so it was the Papacy making the decision, but I do recall that they were forced to admit that Sacraments were still valid even when administered by heretics. The question of how those heretics are to be treated is another matter, however. While I am a scientist and place great value in reason and observation as do the Deists, I can see their error, for I can attest that miracles do happen, having observed some myself. The miracles documented in Scripture are likewise the subject of the observation of witnesses. Even Thomas needed to observe and feel for himself our risen Lord's wounds, though it is better still to believe without having seen. That is where faith comes in, for those of us not fortunate enough to have seen for ourselves."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

All agree that this is a response of wisdom and moderation.

It is apparent, after some further conversation, that Peter, eager to perform the offices of priesthood, has Methodist leanings; that Stephen is firm in his support of all the tenets of the Church of England; and that Bartholomew, skeptical by nature, is not entirely unswayed by the arguments of the Deists. Placing their trust in Doctor North's amiability and maturity of opinion, they eventually make confession that their errand is not one of mere curiosity. Persuaded by Stephen to make the journey to Canterbury, as did pilgrims of old, the two other students are willing to present themselves to His Grace in order to decide if they will leave the established Church and go their own ways.

With Mister Witherly adding his status as a member of the clergy, an appointment with His Grace is arranged for early the next morning. The adventures are free for the rest of the late afternoon and may pursue such activities as they like, Canterbury being a busy town of markets and such. Arrangements are made for the night's stay at one of the many inns. The Castle being in great disrepair, and the Cathedral having already been visited, or soon to be visited, by those who like, another possible monument of great age which may be of interest is the mighty Westgate. Just last year all the other gates in the city wall were demolished, in order to allow for the great increase in coach traffic to pass unimpeded. Those who wish to accompany Doctor North and the students on the morrow are welcome to do so.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

The matters occupying the pilgrims are beyond Ines's ability to contribute an opinion, and neither could she be of any assistance in Miss Davenport's researches. She will attempt to find a convivial-seeming tavern and attempt to lift her spirits by performing - though she will confine herself to song this time, feeling by no means recovered enough to dance,
OOC:   Charisma = 9, +1 Entertaining, + 3 Beautiful
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 20  
Obviously her voice has not recovered either, and she probably ejected from the premises in short order, thankful that she did not try to perform at the establishment where the company was lodging.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Though the theological debate is somewhat beyond her, Lila offers to accompany the doctor and the three students to see His Grace on the morrow in order to lend moral support. That afternoon she takes a stroll around the markets to distract herself from recent conflicts.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The market of Canterbury is a noisy, confused place, full of the shouts of merchants and customers, rough songs of sailors, and the squeal of pigs. The air is heavy with the aromas of fresh fish, burning wood and coals, fruits and vegetables in varying states of decay, sharp cheeses, newly baked bread, and the inevitable mingled scent of people and horses. What one may discover there when one is a new arrival is often a matter of chance.
Spoiler:
WIS = 12[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps it is fate, or perhaps it is her hunter's instincts at play, but for whatever reason Miss Davenport is drawn to a modest stall, consisting of a small hand-hewn table and a few sticks holding up a ragged piece of cloth which hangs overhead as a shade. Upon the table are numerous small bottles of inexpensive manufacture, as can be deduced from their cloudy translucency and irregular shapes. Standing behind these is a woman of advanced years who stands straight as a soldier. "Fine spices from all over the globe," she cries to the passers-by. "Nostrums to cure all ills of man and beast. Potions of rare virtue not to be found elsewhere." She attempts to interest Miss Davenport in her wares. "Here's a fine lady with an eye for quality, I'll wager."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Such a wager may prove ill-judged," Lila replies morosely. She eyes the displayed wares with skepticism. "Pray tell me of these potions of rare virtue."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What would you like to do for the rest of the day, my dear?" Henry asks Elizabeth. "Perhaps we could tour the cathedral?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:Image

"Such a wager may prove ill-judged," Lila replies morosely. She eyes the displayed wares with skepticism. "Pray tell me of these potions of rare virtue."
The woman leans close to Miss Davenport. She holds up a bottle of a clear liquid. "Now if you've ever had to deal with a rat -- let's say, just 'tween you and me, a very, very large rat, walking about on two legs, if you take my meaning -- this here would end all your problems. No scent, no taste, just add it to the rat's food or drink, a nice, peaceful death for the creature, no questions asked. Would be worth many a gold piece, I'd say."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"It is not my habit to rid myself of rats in such a manner," Lila replies. At least, she does not believe any ordinary poison would be effective against the types of rats she hunts. "Unless you sell potions whose virtue is more ... virtuous then I must bid you good day, madam."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

With a huff the woman withdraws his wares and begins to dismantle her crude stand. "Fine days when honest work ain't appreciated. Be on with you, then."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila continues on her way with a raised eyebrow.
Spoiler:
OOC:   I feel like I missed something but I couldn't think of a logical reason for Lila to want to buy poison.  
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The afternoon having been one not entirely profitable to all, though also not harmful, the adventurers retire and pass a restful night. Word having spread among the company of innkeepers as to the unsuccessful performance of the newly arrived Gypsy girl, she is not invited to entertain.

As the rosy beams of dawn paint the dusty streets of Canterbury, the company makes haste to arrive at the chambers of His Grace in timely fashion. After long minutes spent in an antechamber with the Archbishop's secretary, a silent little man, they are allowed to enter.

His Grace is an imposing man of stout build and serious mien, albeit that of a man of business or a government official (which is, in some sense, the case.)

"Well," he says. "A motley group indeed. It puts me in mind of those fabled pilgrims sung of by Chaucer in days gone by. I trust that your tale will be at least as interesting."

He examines the visitors closely.
Spoiler:
INT = 9[dice]0[/dice]
After some time he frowns and his eyes open wide.

"Witherly, is it not? If I am not entirely mistaken, there are certain irregular circumstances in your life which do not reflect well upon the Church. Well! We shall speak of that later. For the moment, why have you all requested this audience?"

Mister Witherly stands back. The three students look at each other, as if each seeks to have the others answer. It is apparent that one of the adventurers will have to speak first.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you for taking the time to speak to us, Your Grace," says Henry. "We are here on behalf of these three students who have traveled with us to Canterbury to ask you what the Church's position is on the treatment of adherents to the principles of Methodism and Deism."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth stays back. These ideas are far beyond her understanding. She merely smiles encouragingly at Henry, who seems at ease in this company.
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin

Return to “Ghastly Affair”