Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry agrees to return later to view the objects. He stays with Elizabeth as they walk through the braderie, and of course Ivan accompanies them. He is glad to have any of the others go with them as well. He will also be pleased if they wish to come with him when they return to Peeters.

"Pickpockets are a scourge in any city, especially when there is a large gathering of people with money," says Henry when Ines warns him. "I am surprised that I was not targeted myself, given my obvious wealth, but perhaps the presence of Ivan by my side dissuaded any would-be thieves. We must be on our guard."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Fearing that the Irish priests might not look upon an English visitor with favor, Lila decides to try the French chapel.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Wruter wrote:Image

Fearing that the Irish priests might not look upon an English visitor with favor, Lila decides to try the French chapel.
A short walk brings Miss Davenport to a small chapel. A few worshipers are present, although Mass is not currently being said. An elderly priest greets the new arrival, obviously pleased at the arrival of anyone during the braderie. A conversation in French ensues.

-- Welcome, my child. Have you come to have your confession heard? --
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

-- No, Father. I come upon an errand of duty. I have need of a small supply of holy water for the cleansing of evil essences. --
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

Henry agrees to return later to view the objects. He stays with Elizabeth as they walk through the braderie, and of course Ivan accompanies them. He is glad to have any of the others go with them as well. He will also be pleased if they wish to come with him when they return to Peeters.

"Pickpockets are a scourge in any city, especially when there is a large gathering of people with money," says Henry when Ines warns him. "I am surprised that I was not targeted myself, given my obvious wealth, but perhaps the presence of Ivan by my side dissuaded any would-be thieves. We must be on our guard."
With that wise advice the adventurers are able to avoid further losses to cut-purses.

Whilst enjoying the many attractions of the braderie, and making such small purchases as they may see fit, the travelers come across a raised stage of simple design, upon which various forms of entertainment are performed. After a skilled mountebank has demonstrated the art of prestidigitation to the acclaim of the crowd, there is a delay. A loud argument between a man and a woman can be heard from behind the stage. Soon afterwards a young woman, dressed in colorful clothing, rushes off, her face flushed with anger. A somewhat older man, similarly costumed, takes after her, but soon turns back. He climbs upon the stage and addresses the onlookers in an apologetic, pleading tone. Some members of the audience shout at him, and someone even tosses a cabbage at him. It is evident that he is in some distress. The adventurers not being conversant with the French language, they are not able to immediately determine the exact nature of the crisis.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

-- No, Father. I come upon an errand of duty. I have need of a small supply of holy water for the cleansing of evil essences. --
The priest frowns.

-- I see. Surely you are aware that there have been some who have attempted to obtain a supply of the blessed water for use in magical practices forbidden by the Church. For that reason I must inquire as to the exact nature of your errand. --
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

-- As you are aware of such practices then perhaps, too, you are aware of those who fight to banish the tainted spawn of those practices from this world. I am such a one, Father. --
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

-- As you are aware of such practices then perhaps, too, you are aware of those who fight to banish the tainted spawn of those practices from this world. I am such a one, Father. --
-- I must meditate and pray about your request, my child. Perhaps if you were to return for the Vespers services? Now I must go back to my duties. May God be with you. --
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

-- Very well, Father, I shall return. --

With that, Lila hurries back toward the braderie to find her companions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Shall some of us try to follow the woman?" suggests Henry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spying her companions in the crowd before the stage, Lila approaches as a man addresses the audience apologetically.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote:Image

"Shall some of us try to follow the woman?" suggests Henry.

Ines agrees, though she quickly glances about to see if anyone obviously stands out as an English or Spanish speaker who might be able to relate what the man is saying.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Davenport arrives in time to catch the drift of the man's desperate plea to the crowd. In essence, he is attempting to apologize for the fact that Simone, the renowned actress, will be unable to perform. It is evident that the crowd is very displeased by this information.
Spoiler:
Average INT of the crowd = 9[dice]0[/dice]
There does not appear to be anyone close by who is conversant with any language other than French, the assembled audience not being of a particularly high social status.

By this time, Miss Davenport is able to provide a translation of the man's exact words.

-- Please, my friends, allow me to entertain you myself! I promise you will not be disappointed! --

This does not meet with approval.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila, pitying the old man's distress, urges Ines to step forward with her entertaining talents. "I will speak on your behalf if you are willing."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines agrees with Miss Davenport's suggestion. In the meantime, perhaps Dr North, Miss Carrow and Ivan could see what has become of the actress.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The distressed actor hastily explains to Miss Davenport that he had originally planned to perform a pantomime of the commedia dell'arte sort, himself taking the role of Harlequin, the clever servant, and Simone the part of Colombina, the pert maid. If Ines would be so kind as to enter into that role, it would no doubt reduce the antagonism of the audience.

-- Name of a devil! An idea occurs to one. If those in your company would take it upon themselves to join in the revels as well, perhaps the crowd would be more than pleased! --

He explains that this would require the others to take on such roles as Il Dottore, the gentleman of learning, Il Capitano, the soldier, and Innamorati, the lovers.

Once this information is given to the others, Mister Witherly, sporting a rare smile, indicates that he is willing to play the lover if Miss Davenport will take on the role of his beloved. He is unaware of the bitter irony of this suggestion, and seems only amused by this peculiar turn of events.

The performance is to be entirely without spoken words, all meaning to be conveyed by gestures and actions. The comedy is entirely improvised, so there is no need to study one's part.

The actor is well aware that he has no right to ask for such a great favor from strangers, but he is at his wits' end.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed," Lila says, somewhat flushed. "I do not believe I have ever dreamed of becoming a performer of comedy upon the stage before. But if all are willing then 'twould make a most interesting experience I am sure."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It has been a trying day," says Ines (wincing a little at Mr Witherly's inadvertant cruelty to Miss Davenport). "I think I would enjoy such a thing, whether the rest of you join me or merely watch."
OOC:   If necessary:

Charisma =9, + 3 Beautiful, +1 Entertaining, +3 Dancing Ability (if relevant), +1 True Innocent (if the Commedia del'Arte should benefit from such a thing :shock: )
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 4  
Ines is clearly eager for something to distract her from her ongoing worries about the town and her vexing day thus far.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I would be delighted to play Il Dottore," says Henry, motioning to his servant, "and Ivan here would be perfect as Il Capitano. Since we don't say a word, there is no language barrier either."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Delighted by this unforeseen stroke of luck, the actor points out several props of remarkable variety near the stage, where they can be acquired as needed.

The crowd's rumblings settle down a bit as the actor wraps a cloth around his head and stumbles around the stage, moaning as if in agony. He approaches Doctor North and points at his forehead in a pleading manner.

Meanwhile Mister Witherly seems to have joined into the spirit of things. He holds his finger in front of his lips and winks at Ines, as if to request the withholding of a secret. He then walks on tiptoe behind Doctor North and takes hold of Miss Davenport's hand, pressing to his breast. This done, he approaches the towering Russian and makes gestures of anger, raising his fists as if ready to do battle. The crowd is amused by the sight of the rather unimposing figure challenging the mighty Ivan, as well as by the grotesque exaggerations of suffering mimed by the actor.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”