Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Image

"Is that the same young woman who gave you the French letter?" Lila asks Ines. "Perhaps you should speak with her about those lines warning her she would be better to raise the child without the father's family's aid."

Lila takes a seat near the pilgrims' table and tries to surreptitiously overhear their conversation.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Image

Ines approaches the young woman again, and relates the facts about the letter - both that it says what believed it to - but also that it warns her away from any attempt to contact the LaMont family. If she responds that she wishes the letter conveyed regardless, Ines is still willing to do so.

As soon as Ines is able, she shifts the conversation to the old man, asking if the woman had had any occasion to speak with him, and whether he had mentioned an interest in the standing stones.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Mr. Handy wrote:
"How fitting," remarks Henry. "There are six poor travelers at the Six Poor Travellers House. Perhaps we should split up and speak to different people I shall approach the innkeeper, mention that I examined the deceased's body on behalf of the constable, and ask to view his personal effects, if any."


Like almost all those who are forced to accept lodgings at this charitable institution, the dead man owned little more than the clothes on his back.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Wruter wrote:
Lila takes a seat near the pilgrims' table and tries to surreptitiously overhear their conversation.


Spoiler:
INT = 11, no deficit or benefit, presuming the True Innocent and the Beloved are not present at this time.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
20


Miss Davenport is unable to overhear anything other than everyday matters of ordinary conversation.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:30 pm

SunlessNick wrote:
Ines approaches the young woman again, and relates the facts about the letter - both that it says what believed it to - but also that it warns her away from any attempt to contact the LaMont family. If she responds that she wishes the letter conveyed regardless, Ines is still willing to do so.

As soon as Ines is able, she shifts the conversation to the old man, asking if the woman had had any occasion to speak with him, and whether he had mentioned an interest in the standing stones.


The young woman is distraught, but clings to the hope that the cruel LaMonts will have a change of heart upon receipt of the letter.

Spoiler:
CHA = 9 + 3 Beautiful, the listener being male; no deficit for social class, since his is no better.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
16



Although the other man clearly takes interest in the pretty Gypsy girl for reasons that are as old as humanity, he avoids saying anything of worth about the dead man, instead lacing his conversation with remarks which could be taken in ways not proper to be discussed in mixed company.

Spoiler:
con = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
12


The horrible scent coming from the man has induced Nausea, sad to relate.

Spoiler:
Which reduces all Attributes by 3 during Checks involving physical or mental actions for the rest of the day.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 am

Image

Ines will extricate herself from the man's company, hopefully before he provokes a reaction that would serve nothing but to embarass us both. I take it the young woman knew nothing of the dead man either either?

Ines will wait in the fresh air until the others are done with their investigations.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:31 am

Image

"Please tell me, good publican, what do you know about the old man?" asks Henry.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:05 am

SunlessNick wrote: I take it the young woman knew nothing of the dead man either?


She knows only that he kept to himself and said very little.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:07 am

Mr. Handy wrote:
"Please tell me, good publican, what do you know about the old man?" asks Henry.


"Nought but what's been said. Cast it about that he was sorceror, but profited it him not, as far as any knows."
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:11 am

Upon learning very little of the newly arrived pilgrims from Miss Davenport, Mister Witherly decides to confront them more directly, as he is a man of the cloth and they may be disposed to converse with him.

Spoiler:
CHA = 9
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
8


In this he is correct. He is able to report that the three pilgrims are in fact students of Divinity from the noted university at Cambridge and have been journeying for many days from that famous institution on their way to present the Archbishop of Canterbury with certain theological questions. Whether that esteemed prelate will have time or inclination to listen to the petitions of penniless scholars remains to be seen. Upon learning that the adventurers are bound for Dover, which lies beyond Canterbury, they indicate that they would be more than willing to accompany the party if invited to do so. Since they are unable to contribute any moneys to offset the costs of travel, this would be entirely an act of charity on the part of the adventurers. Otherwise the students will continue, as they have for some time, to travel by "shank's mare," as they drolly refer to their own legs, the term being a humourous one recently borrowed from the Scots.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 am

Image

"I for one would be glad of their company," says Henry to the others. "I must admit some curiosity about the questions they wish to pose to the Archbishop. It should make for an interesting discussion as we travel."
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:16 am

Image

"Quite so," Lila agrees, though her mind is distracted with thoughts of the night's task.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Image

"I joined you with the same request," says Ines with as much of a smile as she can muster in her current state. "I could hardly object."
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:33 am

This issue being settled, the adventurers prepare themselves for the night's encounter. As previously decided, Miss Carrow will carry the Bell of Repulsion, Miss Davenport the blessed iron dagger found at the Scottish castle, and Ines the enchanted mirror. The others will be equipped as usual.

Upon arrival at the standing stones, just after sunset, it may be noted that no birds or insects, nor any other fauna, may be found in their immediate vicinity. Lacking their song, the site is unnaturally silent. A ray of moonlight strikes the stones in such a way that the interior is illuminated, as if with fairy fire. For a while all seems peaceful.

Then, with startling suddenness, a translucent figure, appearing to be made from the moonlight itself, appears within. With extraordinary swiftness it approaches the party. There is barely time enough to see that it takes the form of a man with hair and beard nearly to his waist, dressed in a ragged robe. His mouth is open in a silent scream and his eyes burn with rage.

Spoiler:
The Wraith having a Speed of 18 and the Asset of Fast in a Fight will have initiative.


The notion that the restless dead have a peculiar attraction for those of Gypsy blood proves to be true. The spirit flies to Ines as swiftly as an arrow. Although it does not appear to attack in any obvious manner, it seems to inflict damage through sheer malevolence. One can almost imagine beams of pure hatred blazing from its glowing eyes.

Spoiler:
The Wraith has a Dexterity of 16.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
1


Ines suffers from this preternatural attack before she is able to wield the mirror.

Spoiler:
1d6 of damage
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d6:
6


She collapses to the ground, very badly hurt, although there are no evident wounds.

Spoiler:
Reduced to 1 Hit Point, Ines is barely alive, and will not be able to engage in any physical action until healed in some manner. She can still speak (barely) to her comrades, and may attempt a Curse on the Wraith of a specified nature. However, be aware that the Wraith, with a Wisdom of 14, has a very high chance of resisting the Curse.

If I roll a 20, the mirror shatters.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
1


Fortunately the mirror is unharmed by her fall, although someone will have to be daring enough to brave the wrath of this spectral figure to retrieve it from the ground.

Spoiler:
Miss Carrow's CHA = 11
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
11


Spoiler:
I'm reading the Player's Manual as stating that a successful Ability Check must be lower than the Ability, so I will count this as a failure.


Miss Carrow struggles valiantly against losing her courage, but the hideous appearance of the apparition is too much for her delicate nature. She falls to the ground as well, insensate to the chaos surrounding her.

Spoiler:
The faint lasts 1d4 action rounds.
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d4:
4


Miss Carrow may spend the remaining Faith point in an attempt to recover more quickly. This will require a successful Ability Check against Charisma, and the Faith point will be gone whether successful or not.


The bell remains, useless, upon her slender finger.

Spoiler:
All other players may take one action before the Wraith attacks again. Doctor North may direct the actions of Ivan as well, and Miss Davenport the actions of Mister Witherly.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Mr. Handy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:39 am

Image

Henry. who was standing near Elizaabeth, moves to catch her when she faints and to ring the bell in her stead while she is unable. "Ivan, defend Elizabeth and myself!" he commands, knowing that the spectre will turn its attention to them once the bell is rung.
Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
User avatar
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 29876
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 am

Image

OOC:   Attempting a CON roll to see if Ines remains with it enough to try cursing the creature.

Constitution = 9, -3 Nausea
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 8  


Ines twists slightly on the ground, trying to say something, but her voice only comes out as a brief croak before she collapses again.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:37 am

Image

"Mister Witherly, the mirror!" Lila shouts as she dashes forward to attack the Wraith with the blessed dagger in an attempt to divert its attention.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Victoria Silverwolf » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:13 am

Events seem to happen with the swiftness of thought. As Doctor North rushes to retrieve the bell from the incapacitated Miss Carrow, and the steadfast Russian moves to defend them, Mister Witherly attempts to retrieve the mirror from the severely injured Ines and Miss Davenport boldly strikes at the Wraith.

Spoiler:
Doctor North DEX = 10 + 1 TI + 3 TL = 14
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
16


His hands shaking with concern for his beloved, Doctor North struggles to remove the bell from her finger, with as yet no success.

Spoiler:
Mister Witherly DEX = 9 + 1 TI = 10; a roll of 20 breaks the mirror
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
18


Meanwhile, Mister Witherly searches in the darkness for the mirror, cursing his own clumsiness, wondering if it is somewhere on the ground, its shining surface facing down and thus not reflecting the moonlight, or if perhaps it lies under the prostrate body of the Gypsy.

Spoiler:
These two characters will continue these actions until successful or otherwise directed.


Spoiler:
Miss Davenport DEX = 18 + 1 Danger + 1 TI = 20; but the Wraith has Armor of 2 (I presume this refers to its insubstantial form, making it more difficult to attack), removing 2 from the DEX of the attacker, so back to 18
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 1d20:
4


Although the dagger's blade seems to pass through the immaterial form of the Wraith as if it were merely smoke or fog, it appears to have done some damage to the ghostly enemy.

Spoiler:
double damage = 2d6
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 2d6:
2, 4

+ 1 for 2nd level Demon Hunter = 7 points damage


Spoiler:
The Wraith's Hit Points are 5d6
Victoria Silverwolf rolled 5d6:
4, 3, 4, 2, 2
15; down to 8


The spectral being writhes and reaches out with misty arms to Miss Davenport who, perforce, had to draw close to it in order to make her attack. Although no more substantial than a cloud, the touch of the Wraith seems to drain her very soul from her. Even in this moment of peril, she is aware that this touch is very different from the damage suffered by the unfortunate Ines. Miss Davenport suffers no pain, nor any physical harm, yet it seems as if part of her life has been stolen from her to feed the Wraith's eternal hunger for revenge upon the living.

Spoiler:
This reflects the Wraith's special ability to Drain Experience with its touch. For a Demon Hunter at 2nd level, the loss of 8 experience points will return her to level one. The Wraith may choose to do this or to Strike, as it did to Ines, and do physical damage.

The players who are not incapacitated may each make an action before the Wraith has a chance to attack again.
User avatar
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:51 pm
Location: Chattanooga TN

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby Wruter » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Image

Reeling from the Wraith's touch, Lila notices Mister Witherly struggling to find the mirror and dives aside to grasp for the fallen object herself.
User avatar
Wruter
Keeper
Keeper
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:50 pm
Location: MCR

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Postby SunlessNick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Image

OOC:   Making another CON roll for Ines.

Constitution = 9, -3 Nausea
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 9  


Ines is still incapacitated. Trying to say something, but her voice comes only in fits and starts.
SunlessNick
Acolyte
Acolyte
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Ghastly Affair

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest