Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Wruter wrote:Image

Some form of embalming? Lila wonders. "You ... knew this woman, Mister Witherly?" she inquires hesitantly.
He clutches at Miss Davenport's hand. "She is Emily. My wife." His head drops. "I pray that her sins have been forgiven, and that she resides in Paradise. I have feared often that she was headed for destruction, but never did I dream to find her . . ."

Words fail him. He seems to have recovered from his state of shock, but remains distraught.

"How or why such a thing has happened, I cannot dream, but this cannot be merely some horrid coincidence. We have been watched for some time, it seems, and expected. We must continue."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says Henry, leading the way onward alongside Ivan. "We've not a moment to lose!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines follows Dr North and Ivan.
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Tabs »

Elizabeth Carrow said,"It didn't end well for her, if you're pretending to be who I think. Why? Why this charade?" [ooc]Keeper, does Elizabeth know why?--I haven't back-read much at all.[/ooc]
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Lila nods silently, knowing any other considerations must be set aside while the threat of the same terrible fate befalling Miss Carrow still remains, and hurries after the others.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

After a great deal more time skulking through this seemingly endless, slimy, foul-smelling corridor, the adventurers come upon another alcove similar to the first. This one has been made to resemble a small chapel. Two more human figures stand therein. One is arrayed as a clergyman. It is easy to tell that this is only a wax sculpture, similar to the noted one of Voltaire created by the gifted young artist Marie Grosholtz a decade or so ago. The other, however, appears to be another victim of -- shall we refer to it as "vitrification"? Closer examination reveals that it is Antoine DuPray; more evidence, if it be needed, that there is some method to this madness. He is dressed as a bridegroom, and the alcove is decorated as if for a wedding. The absence of a bride is conspicuous.

Miss Carrow
Spoiler:
She makes no response to your inquiry, instead only smiling.
OOC:   At this point what you need to know is that Violette DuPray is insane, and previously tried to murder you because she believed her twin brother, Antoine, was going to leave her for you. She was confined to Bedlam, but has escaped to France. Her brother followed in an attempt to find her.  
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila quietly informs Ines of the victim's identity, knowing the Gypsy had not met the poet when he was alive. Though striving to remain outwardly calm, inwardly she trembles.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Can we be certain it is truly them and not some kind of image," asks Ines. More quietly, to Miss Davenport alone - while Dr North may well surmise this on his own, Ines does not wish to add to his anguish - "We must go on quickly; if these are the people they appear, it is probably be the fate meant for Miss Carrow."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Good Lord!" cries Henry, having already deduced the possibility. "They must intend to do the same to Elizabeth!" Without a moment's hesitation, he and Ivan rush forward.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Elizabeth Carrow said,"What do you intend on doing to me, Jeanne?" She looked around, does she note anything else? [ooc]I can guess at her proposed fate. An eternal marriage to Antoine?[/ooc]
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Tabs wrote:Image
Elizabeth Carrow said,"What do you intend on doing to me, Jeanne?" She looked around, does she note anything else? [ooc]I can guess at her proposed fate. An eternal marriage to Antoine?[/ooc]
Spoiler:
The use of the name "Jeanne" seems to bring a strange change to Violette's features. She looks upward, as if seeing something other than the roof of the rock chamber. "I have come to save France from tyranny!" The armored men raise a cheer in French, the exact meaning of which is lost to Miss Carrow,
but clearly they are expressing enthusiasm.

INT = 9 for noticing something[dice]0[/dice]

Alert for anything which may be of vital importance in this desperate situation, Miss Carrow notices that there is a strange device, resembling an elaborate clockwork mechanism combined with a cask of the kind used to hold liquids, poorly concealed behind a stack of extra torches.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party eventually reaches a heavy wooden door, which is held in place by a large iron latch. As they arrive the combined voices of several men are heard, indicating that they are shouting quite loudly from beyond the door. The general meaning of their cries can be translated from French by Miss Davenport.

-- Long live the Maid! Death to tyrants! --
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Brandishing his cane, Henry undoes the latch. "Quickly, Ivan, open the door," he says quietly.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines raises her fists, still encased in the brass knuckles.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The door opens easily. The room is a large one carved from the surrounding rock, lit by several torches attached to the walls. Within one can see Violette DuPray, dressed in armor of a period from centuries ago, her hair shorn to mere stubble. Behind her are half a dozen men in similarly archaic armor, bearing ancient weapons; short swords and crossbows, to be precise. Just within the door stands Miss Carrow, apparently unharmed, with a hooded figure standing to each side of her, obviously ready to act in case she makes any attempt to escape. As the door opens three of the men raise their swords while the other three begin to crank their crossbows.

-- Hold, my brave soldiers! -- the madwoman cries. -- The time for battle is not yet! --

The men stand ready. The three bowmen continue to prepare their weapons.

"Enter," she continues, addressing the party in English. "You will be the first witnesses to a new era in history. France will be free!"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila keeps her dagger, as an obvious weapon, drawn but concealed from view -- she prays it will not come to violence for their party is clearly outmatched. To Doctor North she whispers, "If a distraction is needed I have a Knot of Winds which may be effective."
Tabs
Oracle
Oracle

Post by Tabs »

Elizabeth Carrow was overjoyed to see her friends again. She stopped herself from calling out a greeting, instead she said, "Joan of Arc here"--she indicates the insane Violette DuPray--"is being directed by an angel. Tell me, Jeanne," she turned to Violette, "what does he tell you to do now?" Is she trying to "butter up" Violette? yes, Elizabeth is!
Keeper,I'm off for the week. She'll try to communicate her find: "Miss Carrow notices that there is a strange device, resembling an elaborate clockwork mechanism combined with a cask of the kind used to hold liquids, poorly concealed behind a stack of extra torches."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Will the poorly educated Ines have to roll to understand the reference to Joan of Arc (beyond recognising the madwoman for what she is, and presumably seeing her resemblance to Antoine)?
If she does,[ooc]Intelligence = 9, -3 Dull, + 1 True Innocent SunlesNick rolled 1D20: 10[/ooc] Sadly, it escapes her.
If not,[ooc]Charisma = 10, + 1 True Innocent SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 5[/ooc] Ines steps towards the madwoman, arms by her sides, saying "I am no Englishwoman to oppose you, Joan the Maid. The Gypsy is able to project an air of sincerity, though she realises Violette DuPray may still see through the ruse.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Miss Carrow's CHA = 11[dice]0[/dice]
It appears that Miss Carrow's attempt to pacify Miss DuPray by playing along with her delusion has been effective. A strange look passes over the madwoman's features and her gaze turns upward.

"Yes, the saints and the angels and God Himself have spoken to me! I am to lead my army to Versailles and depose the tyrant king who has made a slave of France."

After repeating the same statement in French to her henchmen, there is a cheer from the armed men. Whether they share Miss DuPray's insanity, or merely have the same motivation, it is clear that they are ready to begin a revolution. Given the wretched condition of much of the populace, while royalty enjoys extraordinary luxury, it cannot escape one's imagination that they are likely to collect many allies to join their quest.

"As an act of charity before we go to make war upon Louis," she continues, "I have been directed by Aphrodite -- I am also in direct communication with the gods of Olympus, you understand -- to join this young woman and my beloved brother in Holy Matrimony. Once that is accomplished, you shall join my forces and march upon the palace." There is a touch of the former Miss DuPray in her countenance as she lowers her gaze and adds "I should be most displeased if you were to refuse."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, if it is needed," Henry whispers back. "Only do so when you think it would be appropriate, or if I speak the word 'now.' There is no telling how they would react. This 'angel' - it sounds like it may be an evil spirit at work, and you know best how to deal with those." He strides into the room, Ivan at his side, carrying his cane as if it were merely a walking stick and not a weapon. Seeing Elizabeth unharmed fills him with delight and hope. "It is your task to see that France is free,' he says. "It is mine to see that Miss Carrow is free. I ask you to release her at once."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”