Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Eighth: Across the Channel

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Wruter wrote:Image

Lila attempts to maintain a dignified silence while opening her haversack for inspection and setting her weapons -- three daggers and a pistol -- on the ground as ordered.
After dealing with the box of mail, the official opens his eyes wide at what he sees.

"Why so many ways to kill, woman?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Victoria Silverwolf wrote:"Will you not sing to me of the Pyrenees, whose snowy peaks gaze down upon so many broken hearts?"
That is certainly something Ines is willing to do.
OOC:   Charisma = 9, +3 Beautiful, +1 Entertaining, +1 True Innocent (not including Dancing Ability, because he asked me specifically to sing)
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 1!  
Perhaps it is the relief that soldier wanted her song rather than anything else, or the relief at having survived the rigours of the storm, or the subject matter touching Ines's Spanish and Gitana blood, or even the inspiration of travelling with lovers both fulfilled and unrequieted, or all of the above, but the girl's voice weaves a veritable enchantment.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Post by Rooter »

Hearing Doctor North being told to relinquish his arms, Lila panics. "These are ... religious artefacts," she replies in French, drawing the soldier's attention to the symbolic workings upon the blessed dagger. "Holy relics." She can only hope they do not regard the wooden stake and mallet in her haversack as weapons also.
Spoiler:
If a roll is required and failed please could I use the Faith point gained in Canterbury to try a reroll.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The sweet and melancholy song of Ines having touched the hearts of the officials, they wave her away to join the others in her party, lest she be witness to their unmanly tears.
Spoiler:
INT (trying to "fast talk" rather than charm, I presume) = 11 + 1 TI + 1 for speaking in his own language = 13[dice]0[/dice]
It seems that the one official who has not neglected his duty is also a man of faith, as he is greatly impressed by the sacred writings.

"Good, good. Go in peace. But I must take the pistol, yes?"
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Very well," Lila agrees reluctantly though mostly relieved to still have the daggers.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Spoiler:
While I don't wish to put words into Priest's mouth, is it possible Elizabeth could try to move the officials? A man of principle might be reluctant to confiscate the means by which such a charming lady's companions might protect her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry has no problem giving up his pistol, though he hopes he will be permitted to keep his cane and Ivan his sword cane, which while sheathed looks fairly harmless.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The lone official, sensing that his commander and comrades show little interest in this encounter, is content to confiscate the pistols and send the travelers on their way. The way to Dunkerque is evident, and a day's walk should find the party within site of the town.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Shall we make camp for the night by the sea, or seek shelter near the guard station?" Lila inquires. "Miss Carrow, what say you?"
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Once the arrangements are made for the evening, the adventurers spend an uneventful night, enjoying the sight of autumn stars over the Channel, no doubt bringing thoughts of home.

The walk to Dunkerque is an easy one, and the travelers arrive well before sunset. It will be well remembered that this vital port town has been a source of much contention between England and France for many years, ever since Charles II sold it to Louis XIV well over a century ago, only a few years after it was captured during the long and perplexing wars that ravaged Europe during that unhappy time. Fearful that it would used as a base for an invasion, treaties have imposed a limit on the degree to which Dunkerque may be fortified. These restrictions were recently removed after the negotiations which resulted from the unfortunate rebellion of the American colonies. Thus one may find much activity, as the town's defenses are strengthened. Although there is currently a state of peace between the two great nations, visitors from England may be viewed with suspicion. Nevertheless, it is here the arrangements must be made for coaches to make the long journey to Lille and thence to Paris.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We could make inquiries with the postal authorities in Paris when we deliver the mail," suggests Henry. "If anyone would know how to find where someone is living, it would be them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"He is trying to find his sister, yes?" Ines adds. "That means he too must be making enquiries, and there may be those who recall him doing so."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Let us make our travel arrangements for Paris certain," says Lila. "Unfortunately I set out from Calais when I was last in France so I have not taken this route before. But there ought to be a regular coach."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

It is not very difficult to arrange for a coach to Lille, the drivers more interested in money than international politics. The journey will take only about half a day's time.

It will be remembered that Lille has only been French for a century or so. The populace still has strong Flemish roots. The city is a prosperous one, famed for its printing and textiles. Not long after it was won by the Sun King, a remarkable citadel was constructed, designed by the noted military engineer Sebastien le Prestre, Marquis de Vauban. The star-shaped structure is built in such a way that it is impossible for an enemy to approach any of its walls without being subject to fire from an adjoining wall.

The city is strongly Catholic. It hosts one of the many so-called Irish Colleges which were founded on the Continent after England established her Protestant reign over that island, primarily for the purpose of educating Papist clergy.

Along for the rise is a merchant by the name of Peeters, indicative of his Flemish ancestry. After introductions are made, he speaks lowly to the travelers, as if he does not wish to be overheard by the drivers.

"You are English, I perceive. Tell me, what do you think of our Louis, eh?"

"I do not often think of kings at all," Mister Witherly replies, somewhat testily.

Peeters raises an eyebrow and looks to the others for an answer.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines confesses, slightly more diplomatically, that mattes of kings are beyond one such as her. (The company will nevertheless perceive that she has grown more alert - less because her words are false than because this Peeters's obvious attempt to involve us in some intrigue has put her on edge).

She will however try to conceal this from Peeters.
OOC:   Charisma = 9, -1 Social Descrimination (he expects lies from Ines, though he might also expect the ignorance I've professed), +1 True Innocent
SunlessNick rolled 1D20: 9 (a failure if Social Descrimination applies, a success if not)  
Peeters will notice a shift in Ines's demeanour, but it would take one wiser than the present author to discern whether he is more inclined to suspect or dismiss her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I prefer not to judge a man until I have met him, whether king or commoner," says Henry, "and I have not done so in this case."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"I think it a great pity that there exists any enmity between our nations," Lila replies. "I pray such differences may be overcome but I fear for the poor who are affected most terribly when the harvest is bad."
Spoiler:
Can I assume that Lila already replenished her supply of Holy Water which was used some time ago or should I consider looking for an opportunity in Catholic Lille?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I see that you are most diplomatic. That is wise. Well, we shall see."

With that, the conversation turns to other matters.

"You have come to Lille for the great braderie, no?"

When the adventurers express ignorance of this event, Peeters is amazed.

"But tomorrow is the first Sunday in September! Surely you know that the Braderie de Lille occurs on this date."

For those who may not be familiar with the term, braderies are yearly fairs and markets held throughout this part of Europe. The one in Lille is particularly famous, drawing many visitors from far away, and has been an annual event since the twelfth century.

"I am afraid you will have difficulty securing lodgings," Peeters explains. "If I can be of any assistance . . . '

As the coach approaches the town in can be seen that the streets are indeed crowded with visitors, as well as with sellers of all manner of merchandise and various entertainers, all preparing for the great event.
Spoiler:
I would imagine that the holy water has been used up by this time.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

While in town Lila resolves to go in search of a Papist for a fresh supply of Holy Water, and also purchase some bulbs of garlic, more readily available in France than in Britain. "Pray, what do you propose?" she inquires at Peeters' suggestion.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry nods and listens politely, certain that Peeters will want something of them in exchange - something that will no doubt embroil them in intrigue.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ghastly Affair”