Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Rooter »

Lila draws in a shuddering breath as she watches her foe retreat, her grip tightening on the hilt of her dagger in fury. She is shaken from her urge to pursue by Elizabeth's voice. "No!" she replies vehemently. "You and I were able to resist his mesmerism but what of the others? Mary? Doctor North, even? Would you see Herr Hoffer's fate befall them also? It is well only we were awake, for the Vampyre master is a creature of great cunning and malice. You must remember, one such as he cannot enter unless invited. Sleep, if you can. I will remain watching in case of his return."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

The evening continues to wane. Dawn finds Miss Davenport still watchful, but the mysterious man does not return.
Spoiler:
Any Abilities which require a Check this day will be reduced by one, to reflect lack of sleep.
The party heads out soon after first light. The roads are not as well-maintained as those in the South, but the coaches proceed at a good pace. If all goes well, the adventurers should arrive at their destination by nightfall.

The journey is unremarkable until the late afternoon, at a particularly wild part of the highway, where the coaches must slow their pace. The road is narrow and surrounded by gnarled and twisted trees of great age. As the lead coach turns at a sharp corner, the driver pulls back on his reins sharply. The second driver is barely able to keep his coach from crashing into the leader. The passengers are shaken but unharmed.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
A pair of wolves stand directly in the path of the lead coach. They appear to be ordinary enough animals, although to find one in England, even this far north, is remarkable, their kind thought to have been eliminated a century or more ago. It will be impossible to maneuver the coaches around them, due to the narrowness of the road.

The lead coachman snaps his whip at them in an attempt to drive them away. They bark at him angrily, but do not move. When he starts to descend, they snap at him, driving him back to his seat. "Sell my soul for a pistol," he murmurs. The four horses nicker nervously.
Spoiler:
Wisdom of a horse = 15
[dice]1[/dice]
One horse drawing each coach panics and attempts to burst from its harness. The coachman, in each case, is able to keep the other animal under control. Depending on circumstances, it may be necessary to let the frightened horses loose, and proceed with a single beast, slowing the rate of travel. However, if the wolves are slain or driven off, the terrified brutes may be calmed. However, that is all speculation at this point. Nothing can be done while the wolves continue to block the way. They seem determined to continue their unnatural vigil for some time. Whenever anyone attempts to leave one of the coaches, one of the wolves launches itself at that person, forcing retreat. It is evident that they will attack whoever dares to stand ground.

The sun will set in a few hours.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've got a pistol," says Henry. "I'm a fair shot, but if someone else is better, you can borrow it."
OOC,Who is in each coach? Is it the gentlemen in one and the ladies in the other? [b]Lila[/b] would be the best shot, but if she's not in my coach, I can't pass her my pistol. Of course, she has her own now.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Who is in each coach? Is it the gentlemen in one and the ladies in the other? [b]Lila[/b] would be the best shot, but if she's not in my coach, I can't pass her my pistol. Of course, she has her own now.
Spoiler:
It would seem logical that the Happy Couples -- Magda and Mister Harcourt, as well as Mary and Davros -- would prefer to stay together. Most likely Miss Carrow and Doctor North would be together as well. Mister Witherly having expressed a willingness to ride with the driver, that leaves Mister Rachman and Miss Davenport together.

It only remains to determine who is in which coach. I will list the couples in the order above, as well as Mister Witherly, and use this randomizer to arrange them.

https://www.random.org/lists/
There were 5 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Witherly
Carrow/North
Magda/Harcourt
Mary/Davros
Rachman/Davenport
Mister Witherly, seated beside the driver of the front coach, broods a moment, then announces "If there is no other means to escape these creatures, I will descend and distract them while the others make their escape. There are far worse reasons to sacrifice oneself." This seems an extreme strategy, unless the situation becomes truly desperate.

Magda, seated next to Mister Harcourt and gripping his hand tightly, whispers to Miss Carrow and Doctor North, who are also in the front coach, "They not free. They are slaves."

In the second coach, Mary clutches her rosary in fear. Davros attempts to comfort her. They look at Miss Davenport and Mister Rachman as if to ask what can be done.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Then it does not seem right to shoot them, if they act not of their own volition," Henry whispers back. "If they are slaves, who is their master?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth shudders at Henry's question, her thoughts flying back to the previous night and the strange figure that Lila had called a 'Vampyre'. Did such a creature have control over wild beasts? For a moment she considered telling Henry of the strange figure observed from the window of the inn, but wasn't sure that this was the time. Anyway if the appearance and behaviour of the wolves was in some way connected to the Vampyre, then Lila, who seemed most knowledgable about these things, would know and presumably know how to deal with them.

However, the situation is most discomforting. Elizabeth feels a chill gnawing at her core. "I have a feeling", she whispers to no one in particular, "That if we tarry here long enough we may meet their master for ourselves"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Perturbed by the wolves' unnatural behavior, Lila leans from the open window of the coach, clutching her pistol as she peers searchingly out into the dimness among the gnarled trees surrounding the road, knowing that while daylight remains the children of the night must remain in the shadows.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Perhaps there is something I can do," Mister Rachman says. By this time his companions are not terribly surprised that he makes strange gestures with his Oriental dagger.
Spoiler:
Casting Daze against the wolves. The wolves have a Wisdom of 15 and need to make a saving throw to avoid the effect of the spell.

[dice]0[/dice]
Although the wolves seems slightly startled for a moment, this effect does not last, and they remain vigilant.

With an expression of chagrin, Mister Rachman says "That does not appear to have been very helpful." He leans toward Miss Davenprt and says softly "You are aware that there are, as your great poet has written, more things than are imagined in the philosophy of many. There are other things that I can do if necessary. The simplest of these would be to ensure that we have a source of light when darkness falls.

With somewhat more difficulty, I can perform a ceremony which will either protect this coach from unnatural dangers, or else increase the effectiveness against such of any one weapon which you bear. I tell you frankly that performing the ceremony will require several minutes during which I must be outside this coach, with all the risk that implies."

Indicating the monkey which accompanies him like a faithful servant, he adds "It is also possible for me to send my friend here out to do battle, or to perform some other errand, within a distance of a mile or so. I must tell you, however, that his loss or destruction would be a greater blow to me than I am able to tell you.

I will follow your judgment in these matters."
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"We must make every effort to reach shelter before darkness falls," Lila replies. "And I would not see you put yourself at such risk. I had thought that the being which is controlling these animals must be nearby but we should be unlikely to strike him among the trees from here. Unless you possess some arcane method of breaking the hold upon the wolves we may need to seek a more pragmatic approach. But I would not wish to simply shoot these animals." She considers the equipment at her disposal. "I have some dried meat in my haversack. Perhaps Doctor North has some form of sedative among his medical equipment which could be used to drug the meat, then toss it to the wolves and thus render them unconscious. We could use your monkey to convey the items between the coaches. But let us confer with the others on our strategy. Perhaps they will have a better idea." Lila leans from the window to call across with these suggestions.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent plan!" Henry calls back. "I do carry sedatives. If the monkey jumps from the roof of one coach to the roof of the next, it can avoid danger from the wolves. it can bring the meat to me, and I can dose it. It should also be able to throw the meat. Monkeys are known for their agility." He sees how disturbed Elizabeth has become. "Fear not, Elizabeth, my dear. I am confident we will be moving in short order and reach shelter before nightfall."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth smiles at Henry, touched by the depth of his concern. "I wonder, if these be no more than natural creatures enslaved in some manner then might it not be possible to calm them somewhat? As you know I have some affinity for wild animals..." she gestures to the curled up form of Lucky who seems unperturbed by the situation, "Might it not be that I can charm the beasts into leaving us be that we might pass?"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Miss Carrow makes an attempt to speak gently to the wolves. They respond only with growls. It would seem that, if it is true that they are under the command of some other force, it is far too strong to be broken in this manner.

With that plan of no avail, Mister Rachman speaks to his monkey in his own native tongue, which the creature seems to understand clearly. It undertakes the mission entrusted to it.
Spoiler:
Dexterity = 15. Must move from the second coach to the first and back again.

[dice]0[/dice]
Alas! The animal tumbles to the ground as it attempts to reach the front coach. One wolf remains blocking the front coach, while the other races to attack the monkey. As the wolf approaches, the monkey prepares to strike first.
Spoiler:
The familiar has 8 hit points and armor class 2. It attacks with 1d6.

The wolf's hit points = 2d6
[dice]1[/dice] = 5. No armor. It attacks with 1d6.
The monkey slashes at the charging wolf.
Spoiler:
[dice]2[/dice]
Its claws are surprisingly sharp, and draw blood.
Spoiler:
[dice]3[/dice]
In fact, they tear open the wolf's throat and leave it dead.

Having escaped from danger, the money retreats to its master. Its experience reveals that leaping from one coach to the other is too difficult a task to accomplish.

The sun is very low.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"A wretched business but there is nothing else for it," Lila mutters grimly, and fires her pistol at the remaining wolf.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Second wolf's hit points
[dice]0[/dice]
Spoiler:
Dexterity = 18, minus 1 for sleepiness = 17
[dice]1[/dice]
Spoiler:
damage = 1d6
[dice]2[/dice]
The second wolf is badly wounded and slinks off into the woods, apparently no longer under the control of its unseen master.

The drivers make an attempt to calm the horses.
Spoiler:
Wisdom = 9 each
[dice]3[/dice]
One of the horses reined to the lead coach cannot be controlled and must be unharnessed. The party must proceed at a reduced pace, so that they arrive after dark.

The village of Gretna Green, located just beyond the border of England and Scotland, is used to accommodating eloping couples. Therefore there are a number of inns with rooms available, at a rate somewhat higher than one would expect. In any case, a sufficiency of rooms are available at Gretna Hall. The travelers may decide how best to arrange themselves (always keeping in mind the proprieties of unmarried persons of different sexes lodging within the same walls.)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There are ten of us," says Henry, "so that means five rooms. I can share a room with Ivan. That leaves four ladies and four gentlemen for the other rooms."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"It is clear that we must remain vigilant," Lila says. "Mister Harcourt, I would advise you share a room with Mister Rachman. Mister Witherly, I trust you and Davros will be comfortable. I will share with Mary, thus allowing Miss Carrow and her fox to watch over Magda. At the earliest opportunity I will seek to obtain some garlic bulbs from one of the cooks or a local shop, which will offer a degree of protection."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Night having fallen and the shops closed, it is impossible to obtain garlic at the moment, as it is an uncommon ingredient in Scottish cooking. Perhaps the lady has acquired a taste for it during an excursion in Italy? The inn can provide good oatmeal and mutton. It would be possible to prepare a fine haggis for the wedding feast.

The guests are taken to their rooms.
Spoiler:
Using the same randomizer as before.
The five small rooms (usually inhabited by newlyweds, who do not require much in the way of accouterments) are arranged in a row on one side of the inn. If one were to view them from outside, they would appear in this order.

Doctor North and Ivan (nearest the public area for dining and drinking)
Mister Witherly and Davros
Miss Davenport and Mary (nearest the kitchen, located in the center of the inn for warmth)
Mister Harcourt and Mister Rachman
Miss Carrow and Magda (nearest the landlord's private rooms)

Mister Harcourt, whose mood is still unusually elevated, is quite amused by Mister Rachman's monkey, who looks at him with wise, almost human eyes.

Magda seems a little suspicious of Lucky, foxes often being thought of as fay creatures. There are legends of the Good Folk taking the form of foxes in order to trick human beings.

The day having been one of no little excitement, the weary travelers are ready to fall into slumber.

Unseen by all in the sleeping village, a glowing mist approaches the inn.
Spoiler:
The mist will go to the rooms in this order, 6 being the landlord's. Same randomizer.
3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5
let me in let me in

Once more the voice -- or is it a voice at all? -- produces a sense of rage and a lust for vengeance in Miss Davenport's heart.
Spoiler:
Mary's Wisdom = 9
[dice]0[/dice]
In an apparent trance, Mary rises from her bed and goes to the window.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Stirred by a sudden agitation, Lila espies Mary's movements. Recognising the preternatural trance she leaps from bed and grasps Mary by the arms, shaking her urgently. She seizes the rosary she had seen Mary holding earlier and thrusts it into her hands, willing her to focus on the holy object.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The presence of the crucifix is sufficient to send the mist away. It moves to its next target. In the meantime, Mister Witherly and Davros, awakened by the happenings in the room next to theirs, make themselves presentable and hurry to see if the ladies are safe.

Meanwhile . . .

let me in let me in
Spoiler:
Mister Rachman's Wisdom = 17
The Familiar's Wisdom = 10
Mister Harcourt's Wisdom = 9
[dice]0[/dice]
Mister Rachman is not influenced by the mesmeric spell, but, to his horror, his animal companion leaps to the window as if to open it. It requires all of Mister Rachman's skill and concentration to bring the beast back under his control, so that he is unable to prevent Mister Harcourt from reaching the window and enabling the mist to come into the room. Once it has entered, it resolves itself into the form of a tall, thin, pale man in dark clothing, his eyes red and glowing. His nails and teeth are sharp and pointed.

In a voice which seems to echo within the room as if it were coming from a vast, deep pit, the man says "Yes! I have my servant again! Not as I wished him, to be sure, but this is enough."

He seizes Mister Harcourt, who seems to be in a state of compulsion, by the throat in one bony hand. "Where is Davenport?"

He ignores Mister Rachman, who is busy performing an intricate ceremony with the aid of his monkey.

The persons in the room of Miss Davenport and Mary are able to hear what is going on in this room. Miss Carrow and Magda are also awake and aware of what is happening. Doctor North and Ivan are still asleep, being the farthest away, until someone comes to alert them. The same may be said of the landlord and his wife.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Without hesitation Lila snatches up her iron dagger and a vial of holy water then dashes to the next room to confront her hated enemy.

Upon seeing Mister Harcourt in the fiend's clutches, she halts. "Let him go."

Return to “Ghastly Affair”