Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Rooter »

"Perhaps it would be as well that Mister Harcourt should remove himself from danger's reach for a time," Lila concurs after a moment's consideration, at first somewhat surprised by Mister Witherly's suggestion but perceiving a certain practical sense. "I should not wish to see any further harm befall innocents such as poor Herr Hoffer. If all are in agreement I suggest we leave immediately and do not allow word of our destination to become public knowledge lest our foes should follow."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, I think that is for the best," says Henry, though he can't be sure that they are leaving the danger behind.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

As there seems to be general agreement, the arrangements for an excursion to Scotland are begun. The night passes uneventfully, and the journey begins early the next morning.
Spoiler:
[dice]0[/dice]
The company is in great good luck. Due to excellent weather and the fortuitous appearance of a pair of swift mail coaches bound for Scotland, only one night will need to be spent at an inn. This requires constant travel from sunrise to sunset, so length of the summer day is most helpful. One coach carries Mister Harcourt, Magda, Davros, and Mary. The other carries the four adventurers and Mister Witherly, who seems more than willing to ride with the driver.

The coaches proceed with unusual speed, stopping only to change horses, pay tolls, and attend to the demands of nature. So much time has been saved on the first leg of the journey, in fact -- no doubt due to the fact that the roads are in much better condition in the southern half of the route -- that it will be possible to spend some time exploring a remarkable folly seen not far from a picturesque part of the highway.
Spoiler:
The Players are advised that various random encounters will occur during the journey. These may be important or trivial, helpful or harmful. Not even your Presenter knows exactly what will occur.

[dice]1[/dice]

[dice]3[/dice]

[dice]2[/dice]
The folly is in the form of a classical rotunda, such as might have been used as a pagan temple. It is located near a small lake. It appears to be in fine shape (unlike many follies, which are deliberately built to resemble ruins.) There appears to be some sort of statue within it, although its exact form cannot be determined from the coaches. The adventurers may choose to explore it. It seems like a good place for a pique-nique, as the French refer to an informal meal consumed out of doors.

Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

"Oh look, how quaint" Says Elizabeth pointing from the coach widow to the building, "That looks an ideal place to rest a moment. And to explore, for I wonder who the statue is of" Without awaiting any reply she alights from the coach and begins to walk towards the folly, calling over her shoulder as she goes, "Dear Henry, perhaps you might call upon your man to bring the baskets of food we prepared earlier. Mary, bring blankets to set upon the ground as I hear they do in France"
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The party proceeds to the folly. It is a particularly fine day, the intensity of the sun's rays subdued by fluffy white clouds that drift by lazily. The emerald grass surrounding the rotunda allows Lucky to romp and play. Mister Rachman's own unusual pet looks on with eyes that seem wiser than one might expect from a beast. A light meal of hearty bread, hard cheese, and fresh fruits is enjoyed by all. The horses crop at the grass in a contented manner. Ivan, the drivers, and Mister Harcourt amuse themselves by tossing stones across the surface of the lake. (It is evident that the drivers consider this familiarity to be not quite appropriate.)

The statue proves to be a gilded image of Venus, in an undraped state. Apparently the folly is designed to be a rendezvous for lovers, or possibly a gathering place for libertines. In any case, at the moment it is a peaceful spot, where one might easily fall into sleep.

After a while Mister Witherly inquires of Miss Davenport if she would care to accompany him on a short walk. "I have matters to discuss which might darken the joyful mood of this happy place."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"An excellent suggestion, Elizabeth," says Henry, also stepping out of the carriage. "Come, Ivan, bring the baskets. We're going to have a pique-nique!" He starts following her.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"But of course, sir," Lila replies to Mister Witherly. "Do please excuse us," she says to the others with a curtsy. She is a little relieved of the distraction, for the prevailing mood of gaiety and romance hasn't quite managed to lift her own foreboding spirits since the death of Herr Hoffer.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mister Witherly's Story

It cannot have escaped your attention that a clergyman away from his parish for an extended period of time is not commonly encountered. Nor am I unaware that my manner does not reflect that expected of a vicar. Once I was a simple, untroubled soul, who preached of God's love and mercy. Now . . . well, I no longer speak from a pulpit, but if I did I am afraid that my sermons would dwell upon the trials of Job, of the destruction of the cities of the plain, of God's wrath.

I sense that you have suffered a great loss. I see it in the way you often stare at the horizon with haunted eyes. I, too, have felt such bereavement. To speak plainly, I am married. My wife, whose name I will not mention, was, as it is written in Scripture, a treasure beyond rubies. She possessed that shining virtue which one finds in Miss Carrow. I say "was," although she still lives, and we are still bound in holy matrimony.

We simple mortals stumble through this imperfect world, often falling into sin, climbing out of it only to fall again and again. But we rarely fall so far that we cannot find our way back. When an angel falls, she may easily fall into a bottomless pit, never to recover the light.

My wife left me for a wandering poet, a notorious atheist and anarchist, with whom she lives openly, going so far as to bear his child. The scandal drove me away from my parish, although my superiors were merciful enough to allow me to retain the privileges of my office. The kindness of many, such as the General and His Grace, allow me to keep body and soul together as I wander hither and yon restlessly.

You know that I am one to speak bluntly. Allow me to confess that I greatly admire you, as friend and companion and kindred spirit. Would that it might be more! Those simple words, "till death us do part," bind my heart with chains stronger than steel.

Let us return to the others. I believe it is time for us to continue our journey.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"Indeed, good sir," Lila replies. "I am sorry to hear of your plight but I am glad that you felt able to confide so frankly in me. I see that I was not wrong in my estimation of you."

Despite her conciliatory words she cannot help but feel a twinge of disappointment.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The travelers continue onward as the sun makes its way to the western horizon. It is nearly dusk when the coaches arrive at the Swan, an inn not far from Stoke-on-Trent. Accommodations are quickly arranged. The ladies will have to share a large room, two in each bed. The gentlemen will be forced to share a smaller room, and will most likely elect to take turns napping in chairs while one occupies the single bed. It is not surprising, due to the excitement of the journey, that all are weary, yet sleep restlessly.

By coincidence, at a time when each of the four adventurers happens to be awake while the others are sound asleep, a scratching sound is heard. The exact source of it is difficult to determine. Should one disregard it as the scampering of mice, or the movement of branches in the wind, and simply go back to sleep? Should one take the chance of waking one's companions and investigate? There is sufficient moonlight to make a cursory search. Taking time to light a candle would allow one to make a more thorough examination, but would be likely to disturb the others in the room. One might choose to rouse the landlord, but he appears to be a temperamental fellow, and would not appreciate being bothered unless the matter is of great importance.

Everyone else is in the realm of Hypnos. What will you do?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry doesn't want to light a candle at this point, but he does rouse Ivan to assist him in the search, in case there is danger.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The master and servant try to move quietly in the dim moonlight.
Spoiler:
Dexterity = 10
[dice]0[/dice]

Dexterity = 9
[dice]1[/dice]
Unfortunately, Doctor North stumbles against a small table, sending it clattering to the floor and waking the other gentlemen, some of whom shout out, having no doubt been roused while dreaming. The noise seems to bring the scratching sound to an end. Apologies are made and all return to sleep.

The sound continues in the ladies' chamber.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Coming suddenly alert at the sound, Lila gets up, wrapping herself in a cloak over her linen shift. She glances at Elizabeth lying beside her, sensing her also awake, before moving to investigate -- deciding against lighting a candle for fear of alarming Magda and Mary in the other bed. Uneasy since Herr Hoffer's demise, she already has her dagger drawn, ready to strike any intruder...
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Dexterity = 18 + 1 for presence of True Innocent = 19[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Davenport is able to move silently through the room; so much so, in fact, that Miss Carrow is lured back into a light slumber.

The strange noise seems to come from everywhere in the room, flitting about from place to place with no evident pattern. At times it seems to be tapping against the window; at others, coming from the floor or the ceiling.

Miss Davenport will have to decide whether to wake Miss Carrow for assistance (which may be done, due to the very light sleep to which she has surrendered, without disturbing the others) or whether to continue exploring on her own, with or without more light. If the room is to be searched, a choice must be made as to what part of it will be examined. (The room consists of two beds, a table with two chairs, a wardrobe, and a washstand with basin. There is one door and one window.)
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Lila wonders if some small creature has become trapped in the room. Knowing of Elizabeth's facility with animals since her charming of the fox, she wakes Miss Carrow to aid in searching. Lila goes over to the window first.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Miss Carrow's Dexterity = 7
[dice]0[/dice]
Miss Carrow is able to sneak out of bed as quietly as a mouse. At her side is faithful Lucky.
Spoiler:
Lucky's Wisdom = 18
[dice]1[/dice]
The cunning little vixen dashes about from place to place in the room, sniffing at something or other, glancing now and then at her mistress as if to communicate something.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow's Wisdom = 8
[dice]3[/dice]
However, that lady does not notice anything unusual.
Spoiler:
Miss Davenport's Wisdom = 12 + 1 = 13
[dice]2[/dice]
Miss Davenport is able to notice scratches made on the outside of the window, as if by some object of extraordinary sharpness and hardness, such as a diamond. In the distance, glowing softly in the moonlight, is a patch of white mist. This seems strange, since the night is otherwise quite clear.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

"What is it little one? What do you see?" whispers Elizabeth to Lucky watching the creatures behaviour. It is at times like this she wishes the animal could talk.

Then. abruptly, her eyes are drawn to Lila peering through the window into the darkness, "Is there anything there?"
- Anais Nin
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Her unease mounting, Lila describes what she has seen. She reaches for her pistol, her gaze fixed upon the glowing mist, listening intently for any further sounds.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The mist undergoes an eerie metamorphosis into the shape of a very tall, very thin human figure, like someone seen at a distance through thick fog. It darkens into a cadaverous man wearing a long black cape. His eyes seem to glow like coals. He raises one bony hand. Although he seems too far away for words to carry without shouting, both ladies hear a soft, hissing voice.

let me in let me in

Miss Davenport's reaction to this plea could not be more negative. Far from yielding to the suggestion, she feels compelled to seek out and destroy this being, as if he is her Nemesis.

In sharp contrast, Miss Carrow seems drawn to the voice. Due to her inherent purity of heart, however, she is able to resist the mesmeric suggestion.

Having failed in his quest to gain entry, the being walks away, now appearing to be nothing other than an ordinary man.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Obviously somewhat discomfited by what she has observed, Elizabeth turns to Lila, "Who was that I wonder? There was something enchanting and commanding about him. I felt an urge to open the window and bid him enter, yet something seemed to warn me against such an action"

She turns to where Lucky still whines and sniffs, stooping to pick him up and quieten him, "I suggest we wake the others so they might be advised to the strange man's precense"
- Anais Nin

Return to “Ghastly Affair”