Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

As if in mock obedience to her wishes, the man (or whatever he may be) drops Mister Harcourt to the floor as if he were no more than a bundle of rags. His teeth and nails lengthen and his eyes glow more brightly.

During this transformation, in the hope that the being will not pay attention to his words, Mister Rachman whispers "I must have time to consecrate the room!"

In this more frightening form, the intruder says "So the game continues. When will you learn that there is nothing you have that I cannot take away from you?"

His words bring painful memories to Miss Davenport. There can be no doubt that this is the creature who has caused her so much pain and sorrow.

A dagger-like finger points to the prostate Mister Harcourt. "Take him back if you like. But I must have a servant. Who shall it be? Perhaps that toothsome little maiden who travels with you? Yes, she would make a tasty morsel. Will you offer me one of your companions, or shall I destroy you?"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Priest »

The sound of voices from the room shared by Mr Rachman and Mr Harcourt, awakens Elizabeth. For a moment she is still drowsy from sleep, strange, she thinks, that those gentlemen should be having loud conversation at this time of night. The with a sudden burst of clarity, she hears the voice of Lila coming from the room.

With speed she throws a dressing gown to cover her nightdress and shakes Magda awake, "Quick, I think something is amiss in Mr Harcourt's room. Run to Dr North's room and fetch him and Mr Witherly both. Tell them to hurry for I fear something is amiss".

Having spoken she rushes to the room of Mr harcourt just in time to hear the last statement of the thin man and realises it is to Mary that he is referring, "No sir you shall not harm her. I defy you. I you feel the need to visit your hate on any here, then let it be me"
OOC:   I am hoping that one of Elizabeth's special abilities may help her in this.  
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
The exact order of actions by the characters will be of importance here.

Miss Davenport may take the first action, followed by the intruder, then Miss Carrow, then the intruder, then Doctor North and Ivan, then the intruder. Mister Rachman will busy with the consecration ceremony (so he cannot also direct the actions of his familiar), the other non-player characters will respond to the actions and statements of the player characters who are with them.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Rooter »

Taking advantage of the distraction provided by Elizabeth's arrival, Lila sharply flings a spray of holy water from the vial clutched in her hand at the intruder.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Having encountered this creature before, Miss Davenport has no need to use her Demonology skill. From his ability to transform into a mist, and the fact that he does not appear to be a recently buried corpse, it is clear that he is an Experienced Vampyre. Not as dangerous an opponent as a Master Vampyre, to be sure, but far more deadly than an Ordinary Vampyre.
Spoiler:
Dexterity = 18; I'll judge that this is thrown before awareness of the presence of the True Innocent adds a bonus point.[dice]0[/dice]
The vial of Holy Water strikes its target. It burns against the skin of the creature as it it were a powerful acid.
Spoiler:
Damage = 1d6+2
[dice]1[/dice]+ 2 = 3 + 1 for level two demon hunter = 4
The Experienced Vampyre has 5d6 hit points
[dice]2[/dice]
21 total, reduced to 17
The Vampyre has been wounded, with what appear to be deep burn scars on his pallid skin, but he is far from discouraged yet. He strikes back with nails that more closely resemble those of an animal.
Spoiler:
Dexterity = 13
[dice]3[/dice]
Miss Davenport is unable to avoid the sharp claws.
Spoiler:
damage = 1d6
[dice]4[/dice]
They slash at her face, leaving a bleeding wound that is painful, but not life-threatening.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow must make a saving throw against charisma to avoid fainting. Charisma = 11
[dice]5[/dice]
Although she is shocked by this sudden scene of violence, Miss Carrow is able to control her terror and face the evil being. His attention is drawn to her, and he approaches her with a wicked smile, apparently all thought of the battle in which he is engaged forgotten.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

At the 'vampyre's' approach Elizabeth's courage diminishes slightly, she swallows somewhat nervously. Yet the realisation that this may be her moment to shine dawns in her mind, she smiles her most beautific smile and curtsyies in the most elegant, given the circumstances, way. "Sirrah, my name is Elizabeth Carrow, I would be honoured if you would tell me yours and the purpose of your presence here"
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The intruder is taken aback for a moment. It is evident that his attempt to make use of mesmerism on the two ladies is of no avail, due to the fact that one is his sworn enemy and one possesses so pure a soul that it cannot be corrupted through preternatural means. Apparently he is also not used to being addressed in a courteous manner.

In addition, the archaic term "sirrah," always used to address one of lower station, seems to have a humbling effect on the intruder. A clever ploy on the part of Miss Carrow, who has perhaps encountered the word in romantic novels set in historic times.
Spoiler:
Charisma = 11[dice]0[/dice]
The intruder takes on a more human form. His eyes only seem to be bloodshot rather than glowing. His teeth and nails are only unusually long and sharp, rather than beastly. "My Lady," he says, apparently in the belief that Miss Carrow is an aristocrat. "My name is Vasile Lupescu." He then mutters a few words in an Eastern European language.

Mister Rachman is too intent on his strange activities to pay attention to the intruder's words, but the two ladies are able to hear them clearly.
Spoiler:
Miss Carrow INT = 8[dice]1[/dice]

Miss Davenport INT = 11 + 3 for gift for languages + 1 for true innocent = 15
[dice]2[/dice]
By an interesting coincidence, both ladies are able to recognize the language as Romanian, and to understand its meaning. It is not at all surprising that Miss Davenport is familiar with the speech of her Nemesis. Miss Carrow's ability to understand it may be due, perhaps, to a servant of the Romanian nationality encountered during her childhood, when even infants seem to be gifted with the skill of acquiring various tongues.

In any case, the intruder's words may be translated as "Why I am acting such a fool? I must gain control of myself!"

By this time Doctor North, Ivan, and Mister Witherly arrive. The intruder appears to regain his aggressive nature.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry and Ivan rush into the room. Henry is carrying his pistol and cane, while Ivan has his sword cane, though it is still sheathed. They move past Elizabeth on either side and stand between her and the intruder. "Fear not, Elizabeth, my dear," says Henry. "We shall protect you."
OOC,Did we hear the earlier exchange before we entered the room? If so, I could use my aristocratic status and bearing against him as well.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
OOC,Did we hear the earlier exchange before we entered the room? If so, I could use my aristocratic status and bearing against him as well.
Spoiler:
This would seem reasonable.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I am Henry North, Earl of Dunwich," says Henry, taking a bow before standing up to his full height. "Please explain your presence here, sirrah."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Charisma = 9 + 1 for true innocent = 10[dice]0[/dice]
Having been, as the Bard put it, hoodwinked by Miss Carrow, the intruder is no longer so naive as to accept claims of high breeding at face value.

"So say you," he sneers, as his eyes once more take on an unnatural fire. He stares intensely at Doctor North.
Spoiler:
Wisdom = 11 + 1 for true innocent = 12[dice]1[/dice]
Doctor North struggles valiantly to resist the mesmeric power of the intruder, but to no avail.
Spoiler:
Doctor North has failed to make a saving throw against the Vampyre's power of Hypnosis.
Through eye-contact, tone of voice, and intricate hand gestures the User commands the attention of
a Nearby person, and makes them more susceptible to suggestion. The person must be of the same or
lower Level than the User. If the person fails their Wisdom Save they will do nothing but pay
attention to, converse with, and otherwise attempt to please the User. If the User attacks the victim
the effect automatically ends. Once the effect ends, the hypnotized person will not remember being
hypnotized, or anything that occurred while under the effect.
"Now, sirrah," the intruder says with great sarcasm, "you will order your man to fetch the little servant girl. Meanwhile, you will restrain the woman who dared to assault me. Quickly!"

In desperation, Mister Rachman continues to perform the ceremony which will consecrate this room. Will he be in time?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry's will is suddenly no longer his own. "Ivan, fetch the little serving girl," he says in a dull monotone. Then he moves to restrain Lila.
OOC,I was hoping Good Manners would help, but even with +3 I'd still fall short by one. Although, if I also get a +3 for being in True Love with [b]Elizabeth[/b] and acting in her behalf by protecting her. then both bonuses would put me over the top.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
I do see your point, so allow me to explain my thinking on these issues.

I considered adding the three points for Good Manners. However, reading the description of this Asset led me to the opinion that it was not quite applicable in this situation.
Good Manners: all Check that involve etiquette or High Society
This seemed to me to be more an example of social intimidation, so I did not apply it. A matter of opinion, to be sure.

You are quite correct that, having declared your love, you should now receive + 3 when acting on the behalf of the beloved. It did not seem to me that this particular action was not directly on her behalf, if you see what I mean. Again, this is certainly a debatable point. In any case, thanks for being a good sport.
Ivan seems somewhat taken aback by this command from his master.
Spoiler:
Intelligence = 7 + 1 for true innocent = 8[dice]0[/dice]
However, being unable to determine why he should not obey it, he goes off to perform the task.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Realizing that Doctor North has fallen afoul of Lupescu's mesmeric powers, Lila attempts to evade his restraining grip, shouting, "Mister Witherly, you must flee!"
Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth is horrified by the sudden turn of events, it would seem that Henry has spoiled the moment somewhat and is now in thrall to this Lupescu creature. Need pressing she sends the vampyre a most imperial glance, eyebrows narrowed as if in anger and lips thinned in, what she hopes, is a most unhappy aristocratic manner.

Elizabeth realises that time is of the essence, and that, for whatever reason, she seemed to have some sort of power over the creature. She hopes that Henry's dramatic interruption has not overly spoiled the moment,

"How dare you sirrah, give commands to my servant. You shall release him immediately or suffer my displeasure"
- Anais Nin
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Under compulsion, Doctor North attempts to restrain Miss Davenport.
Spoiler:
This is an Ability Contest of the holder's Dexterity (10; no bonus due to compulsion) against the target's Strength (9 plus bonus for true innocent plus danger bonus for demon hunter = 11.) The lower ability must make an ability check with a penalty of 1/2 the higher ability rounded down. I hope I did that correctly. Ability check will be against 10 - 5 = 5.
[dice]0[/dice]
Perhaps because he is struggling against his own better nature, he is unable to do so. The intruder's sworn enemy remains free.

Meanwhile, Miss Carrow bravely attempts to intimidate the wicked personage again.
Spoiler:
Charisma 11[dice]1[/dice]
"Fool me once," the intruder says with a sneer. It is evident that he has seen through this clever ploy.

By this time Ivan has returned with a confused Mary. As instructed, Mister Witherly has left the premises. Magda remains cowering in her room, as if aware that her Gypsy blood may attract unnatural evils. Davros, a loyal son, is at her side.

"A few moments more!" Mister Rachman cries.

The intruder's attention is drawn to the young Irish lass.
Spoiler:
Mary's Wisdom = 9 + 1 for true innocent.
[dice]2[/dice]
For a moment Mary shows signs of fear, but they soon disappear.

"Welcome, my dear friend," she says to the intruder.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Spoiler:
OOC:   I might have used my Feat of Strength to get 3 extra points as well.  
Breaking free of Doctor North's unknowing grip and observing Mary fall under Lupescu's spell, Lila lunges forward and stabs with her dagger at the fiend.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Dexterity = 18 + 1 for TI + 1 for danger = 20. Automatic success
[dice]0[/dice]+1 damage bonus

Hit points reduced to 14.
The blade strikes the intruder's chest. The blood which flows from the wound is unusually thick and black.

By this time Mister Rachman's consecration of the room has been completed. The intruder fades into a mist, sinks through the floorboards, and vanishes.

Doctor North is released from the mesmeric spell and recalls nothing that happened during it.

Mister Harcourt recovers his wits as well, and all seem back to normal (save for Miss Davenport's wound) with the exception of Mary.

"Why did you hurt him," she cries. "He only wishes to help us. We must go to him!"
Spoiler:
Keep the Feat of Strength in mind if needed to do something extraordinary, or if a strength check fails. It may be used only once per day.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry comes to his senses, unsure where the intruder has gone. "What just happened?" he asks, looking around. Then he notices Lila's wound. "You're hurt, Miss Davenport. Please allow me to help you."
OOC,I thought he was already down to 17 HP after being doused with holy water. [b]Ivan[/b] is also capable of a Feat of Strength, though he is plenty strong even under normal circumstances.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

"The intruder has been banished, thanks be to Mister Rachman," Lila replies, submitting to Doctor North's treatment. "Miss Carrow, perhaps you can calm Mary?"

Return to “Ghastly Affair”