Romantic Horror, London, circa 1800

Moderators: VictoriaSilverwolf, Victoria Silverwolf

Rooter
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 7 months

Re: Chapter the Seventh: A Difficult Quest

Post by Rooter »

"The fire!" Lila calls to the Gypsy. "Take a log and swing it if the thing comes near!"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Post by SunlessNick »

Ines does as Miss Davenport instructs, siezing a flaming log, and standing guard. She separates from the other woman, so they can cover a wider area. Do any of the others hear Miss Davenport's instruction?
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 8 months

Post by Victoria Silverwolf »

Priest wrote:
Spoiler:
I presume that I have suffered 5 Hit Points of damage,and that my life hangs in the balance. Can I do anything to help myself or am I at the mercy of others?
Spoiler:
You may choose to spend a Faith point to reroll the 1d6 of damage. If you get a number less than the current 5 points of damage, well and good; the damage will be reduced to that number. If 5 or 6, there will be no change, but the Faith point will be lost.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Wruter wrote:
Spoiler:
Can she use Demonology to identify the creature?
Spoiler:
INT = 11 + 1 Demonology + 1 True Innocent + 1 Danger = 14[dice]0[/dice]
In the midst of chaos Miss Davenport takes a moment to collect her thoughts. It is evident that the party is under attack by Water Sprites. Perhaps because they are offended by the fire, their feared and hated enemy, these entirely amoral and capricious beings have chosen to treat the adventurers malevolently. They may be attacked with ordinary weapons while appearing in physical form, but also have the power to vanish at will. Although they possess great supernatural power, they are limited in its use. Three of the five Sprites having used their magic to produce the glowing light and the deadly bolts, only two retain the ability to cast a spell this night.

At the moment there appears to be a standoff, the Sprites not yet attacking but not retreating, no doubt feeling themselves safe from the fire while remaining in their natural element.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Ines does as Miss Davenport instructs, siezing a flaming log, and standing guard. She separates from the other woman, so they can cover a wider area. Do any of the others hear Miss Davenport's instruction?
All of the other adventurers rouse themselves and stand ready to do what seem best in the opinion of experts in these matters.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

(Back at home, can write a fuller post).

In light of Miss Davenport's knowledge of the creatures, Ines calls to Mr Witherly, Mr Rachman and the coachmen to join her with flaming logs to shield Dr North and Ivan as they remove Miss Carrow and Mr Harcourt to a safer distance from the water. Once that is done, we with the logs, and Miss Davenport, can retreat as well. (From Ines's limited acquaintance with the group thus far, Miss Davenport seems the only one able to effectively fight the creatures, and there is only one of her, so retreat seems the safer option for all).
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

In anger at the injury done to Miss Carrow, Lila takes a flaming log from the fire and hurls it at the water.
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

This action causes the beings to vanish instantly without a trace.

It will soon be seen that whatever injuries have been suffered by the unfortunate victims, they do not respond to ordinary treatment. The dawn approaching, it would seem wisest to proceed to Harcourt House, where those laid low by this strange battle may be able to recover.
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Whatever demon's Elizabeth struggles with remain unsaid as as pale faced she tosses and turns. Every now and again a indistinct murmur breaks her silence.
Faith Point Spend,reroll damage. [url=http://orokos.com/roll/505273]Spending Faith point to reroll damage; 1d6[/url]: [u]1d6[/u] [b]2[/b]
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Assuming no one tells her otherwise, Ines will accompany the party to Mr Harcourt's house - feeling responsible, as she was the one awake, she desires to make sure that the injured are tended to. She also observes to Miss Davenport, "You seem well acquainted with night creatures. That is not a common thing."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry is in a melancholy mood seeing Elizabeth in this state, which is made worse by his complete inability to improve her condition with his medical skills. He cares for her as best he can, hoping that she will recover with time.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

As if some guardian angel watches over her, when Miss Carrow is in the arms of the frightened and concerned Doctor North, she regains some of her normal fair color. Despite the ministrations of his bride and son, the same cannot be said of Mister Harcourt. It seems likely that it will require some time for a full recovery from this preternatural blow.

The coachmen, careful to drive their beasts at a steady and moderate pace, lest the unfortunate victims be further injured, arrive at Harcourt House late that evening. Much fatigued by last night's encounter, the party quickly retires.

In the morning it appears that Miss Carrow is nearly completely healed, only feeling a little weak. Mister Harcourt, it seems, will have to remain in bed for some days. While Magda, Davros, and Mary see to his needs, the other guests are given the freedom of the grounds.

In the middle of the day, a woman of middle years, whom the adventurers (save the new arrival) will remember as the single servant of Antoine DuPray, arrives at Harcourt House. After making her way inside via the servant's entrance, she seems to cause no small degree of excitement among those of her own class. If it is a truism that masters have no secrets from their servants, the reverse is not always the case.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Henry's mood has improved along with Elizabeth's health, though it will not fully recover until she does. "Ivan," he says to his manservant. "Mingle with the servants and find out what the excitement is all about."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by Priest »

Elizabeth's eyelids flutter as she opens them to find Henry in close attendance, "Why dear Henry, you look so glum as if you given me up to the hereafter already", She laughs, but it comes out as a series of dry, racking coughs, "Forgive me my dearest, it seems I am not yet recovered".

She reaches over to the nearby nightstand and pulls a small delicately embroidered silk handkerchief towards her lips, "I dreamed of strange water creatures that bid me travel with them to some lost land"...
We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
- Anais Nin
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Those must have been the creatures that attacked us," says Henry. "I am glad that you are doing better, dear Elizabeth, and that you have not gone with them. I never gave up hoping for your recovery, but seeing you in this state and being powerless to help you is disheartening. I am a physician. I ought to be able to do something, but these injuries are not physical in nature."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Ivan attempts to make himself accepted by the other servants.
Spoiler:
CHA = 9[dice]0[/dice]
He is quite successful, drawing their interest with stories of his native land until he is judged to be a fine fellow. When he has a chance he tries to listen to what the latest gossip that so intrigued them.
Spoiler:
INT = 7[dice]1[/dice]
Perhaps due to some difficulties with the English language, particularly as it is spoken by the lower classes, he is not quite able to understand exactly what has happened, only that there is some disturbance at the Dupray cottage.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Well done, Ivan," says Henry. "We should all visit the Dupray cottage. That is the best way to find out what has happened there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"From what you have told me about events in these parts," Ines ventures to add, "we should prepare to find danger there."
Victoria Silverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Upon arrival, the adventurers discover that there is no one about the place except the single servant. All she is able to tell you is that Mister DuPray has not been seen for several days. Recognizing the members of the party, she is willing to allow you to have the freedom of the place. Those who are so inclined may explore the cottage and the garden as they please.
Rooter
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Rooter »

Grimly remembering what happened to his sister, Lila heads out to the garden to look for any tracks, though she knows after several days there is little chance.

Return to “Ghastly Affair”